Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vaya Builds

934K views 3K replies 405 participants last post by  ironhorse1 
#1 ·
Thought I would start a thread of vaya builds. I still have some work to do and the photos are not the best (cell phone) but just to get started. I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow....enjoy...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
More info

yeah I am really liking the fit so far, I hope to have it ready to go in a few days. I need to space out the crank a bit and get the cables run.

For those wondering about the bar setup it is a profile T2 wing bar. I very very rarely ride in the drops on any of my road bikes and really like the wide flat tops of the wings for long distance riding. The upward bend at the tips gives a near hood feel as well. I have been running this setup on my langster for about two years now and really like the feel so wanted to try it on the Vaya. I may go back to a short and shallow drop but only time in the saddle will tell.

Again, I will try and get some better pictures in a day or two.

#4 ·
Bump...

I REALLY like the look and sensibility of your Vaya build!

You know how some bikes you look at and when you see the details you think, "Yeah, that's nice... ohhhh, look what they did there... " It shows that someone had a nice vision for their bike and made it happen. That was what I thought when I looked at your bike. Nicely done!

What tires have you got on that? how big are they?

Also, could you put bar end shifters on the fronts of those bars - like on some TT/Tri setups? Just curious as it would have the shifters closer than the DT...

Got a more recent pic? Full parts list? Weight?

Anyone else?

I'm hoping to give this a bump as I'd like to see what other folks are doing with their Vayas. Mine is awaiting some final paint work after the S&S couplers were put on!!!! I'm hoping to pick it up next Friday, get it built and out for a ride next weekend. It'll be a bit different as I'm going to give it a go with some Titec J-Bars, I've got a compact Rival crankset I found new for $95 and who knows what other goodies I might find to put on there... the Tubus Cargo was just ordered.

S

#5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the response.

I have been busy at work and have not gotten to finishing up my build yet. I am also having some trouble getting the brakes dialed in. I am using BB7 road calipers and I think I need to try some higher quality/"stiffer" housing.

As far as using "TT style" shifters, not with the brake levers I am using since they fit in the end of the bars, but with a different lever set you could. I tend not to shift much (to much time on my Langster) so having the shifters out of the way works for me.

As for some specs on the build:

* Gossamer compact crank with Rotor Q-rings
* Avid BB7-road discs
* 9-speed Dura-ace down-tube shifters
* Ultegra front, XT shadow rear
* Selle An-Atomica saddle
* Richey seatpost & stem
* XT disk hubs, Salsa Delgado Cross rims (36 spoke)
* Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x40c
* Chris King headset
* profile Design T2 wing handlebar
* Cane Creek 200TT levers

weight---Heavy, but so am I. It will be much easer to shed the weight off me ;-)

Not a typical build but it suits me fine...if I can get the brakes to work. Now I just need to get off my ?#!, finish the build and take it for a couple of 100 mile spins :)

Can't wait to see pictures of your build...more pics of mine will make it here when I finally get it finished.

stevereeneo said:
I REALLY like the look and sensibility of your Vaya build!

You know how some bikes you look at and when you see the details you think, "Yeah, that's nice... ohhhh, look what they did there... " It shows that someone had a nice vision for their bike and made it happen. That was what I thought when I looked at your bike. Nicely done!

What tires have you got on that? how big are they?

Also, could you put bar end shifters on the fronts of those bars - like on some TT/Tri setups? Just curious as it would have the shifters closer than the DT...

Got a more recent pic? Full parts list? Weight?

Anyone else?

I'm hoping to give this a bump as I'd like to see what other folks are doing with their Vayas. Mine is awaiting some final paint work after the S&S couplers were put on!!!! I'm hoping to pick it up next Friday, get it built and out for a ride next weekend. It'll be a bit different as I'm going to give it a go with some Titec J-Bars, I've got a compact Rival crankset I found new for $95 and who knows what other goodies I might find to put on there... the Tubus Cargo was just ordered.

S

#7 ·
Marathon 40s

I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. I run Avid flak jackets on my two mountain bikes (both with BB7 Mtn disks but not full length housing.) My Fargo is using Mtn BB7 disks but with standard housing, Cane Creek Drop V levers, and full length housing. The brake feel on it is not the best but works. I will have to try better housing and see if that makes a difference.

As for the Marathon 40s on the Vaya there is plenty of room for the tire but fender clearance with them, might be a bit tight. I would probably go with 35s or 32s on the Vaya but had the 40s from my Fargo setup. Now that I have the Vaya my Fargo will be setup more for off-road adventuring. The original plan was to have two wheel sets for the Fargo, one for road, one for off-road. Now my second wheel set has grown a Vaya.

stevereeneo said:
I have been using the Alligator "Bullet Proof Cable Kit" from Pricepoint for my BB7s on another bike an it is VERY stiff. So stiff I'm using full length housing and it's my new favorite housing ...

Plenty of room for the Marathon 40s? I'm thinking of Marathon XRs also 40s.

S

#10 ·
different strokes

I would have to agree with you that it looks odd. I have never really built my bikes for their looks, just their functionality and how well they fit me and my riding style. I may change over to a standard drop bar on this bike later, but for now I am trying the setup I have wanted to try for a while now. As the chain-stay says, ride and smile, it is all good.

Mr. Doom said:
It looks like you are trying to compensate for a bike that is too small for you.
Bullhorns on a touring frame makes me sad. Great if it works for you but not attractive in a traditional sense IMO.

#11 ·
madonenm said:
As for the Marathon 40s on the Vaya there is plenty of room for the tire but fender clearance with them, might be a bit tight. I would probably go with 35s or 32s on the Vaya but had the 40s from my Fargo setup. Now that I have the Vaya my Fargo will be setup more for off-road adventuring. The original plan was to have two wheel sets for the Fargo, one for road, one for off-road. Now my second wheel set has grown a Vaya.
I'm doing the same thing with my Fargo now that I've got my Vaya built up. I actually sold my original Fargo and went a size down on my second Fargo (from an XL to a L) when I got my Vaya, since the Fargo is now a full-on mountain bike, with no gravel intentions.

I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 40c tires too. I think there's plenty of fender clearance in there though... No reason to run something smaller. I'm running them tubeless too! :thumbsup:

Attachments

#16 ·
madonenm said:
Mine is a 56
Hey madonenm,

How tall are you and what's your inseam or pant size? I'm 5-10 and usually wear 31-32 inseam pants. I'm looking at either the 56 or 57, but am having a hard time deciding.

Also, I live in ABQ so if you're headed this way anytime soon, I'd like to see your frame/bike if possible since nobody in town has any yet.

#17 ·
42 should fit

42's should fit no problem but if it were me and I was going to run fenders I would go with the 37s. I will try and get some pictures posted in the next few days showing the clearance with the 40s. I hope to get things up and running this weekend.

lucifer said:
I am looking at conti contact extralights for my build. Think the 42s will fit or should I do the 37s? Fenders may come into play later.

#18 ·
About the same size it seems

I call myself 5-10 with 32 pant size, but I think I am shrinking :) I like the fit of the 56 and think it was the right choice for me. I live in Albuquerque as well, if you would like to take a look at the bike we can probably arrange something. I'll email you and we will see what we can work out.

shile said:
Hey madonenm,

How tall are you and what's your inseam or pant size? I'm 5-10 and usually wear 31-32 inseam pants. I'm looking at either the 56 or 57, but am having a hard time deciding.

Also, I live in ABQ so if you're headed this way anytime soon, I'd like to see your frame/bike if possible since nobody in town has any yet.

#21 ·
lucifer said:
That's the size I just ordered. I am an inch shorter than you but about the same inseam. How is the standover? What size stem did you end up going with. I am thinking 90 or 100mm should do the trick.
Standover is great, actually. There's excellent clearance, as far as I'm concerned.

I went with a 100mm stem and the fit worked out great for me -- not too stretched out, but definitely not cramped either. There's plenty of room for my legs to move around when I'm climbing out of the saddle too, which is nice. That's a great thing about that Woodchipper handlebar too...

#25 · (Edited)
EDIT: Pics up!!!

My new Salsa Vaya AIR

Build list:

Vaya frame (55) with S&S couplers installed & painted by daVinci Designs
Cane Creek S-3 headset
Wheelset: Bontrager Duster TLR rims (32 hole) laced to DT Swiss (Onyx rear, Stout front) hubs
Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires
Avid BB7 road calipers
Alligator "Bulletproof" compression-less cable/housing set (Great cable set for BB7s!)
Sram Rival Compact Crankset (34/50)
Time ATAC Titan Carbon pedals (found for $90 - mislabeled?)
Ultegra 10-speed shifters (like new on Craigslist for $125!)
IRD 11-34 10-speed Cassette
Wipperman 10s chain
Salsa Bell Lap bars w/ Bonty stem (105 x 7deg)
Cinelli gel bar tape
Dura Ace front, XT rear derailleur
Specialized carbon/zerts seatpost (from my Tarmac)
Specialized Phenom saddle
Rack: Tubus Cargo (to be added)
Bags: Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus (to be added)
Fenders - probably SKS chromoplastics... 45s or 50s still to be determined...

weight w/ cages and no bags = 26.5 lbs.

EDIT: I just noticed that my cable adjusters on the downtube are upside down :madman:
That's fixed...

S

Attachments

#26 ·
I have a 60cm-no photos-sorry. Using Woodchippers-awesome! I call it my Buddha-it has shown me the middle path-not road/not single track-but the dirt roads-i am finding a way to enlightenment....
I really didnt think i would like it as much as i do with only one long ride on it-but i dialed in the fit-and had a magic day last sunday.I put a rear rack on today-im ready to disappear this summer-bike/flyrod and go into the wilds of swva and wv!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.