Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13 53 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1654

Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Finished my first 3-day test tour. Been a roadie for 25 years but somehow never took up touring yet. Front and frame bags by Wanderlust Gear (Wanderlust Bikepacking Gear and Fatbike Pogies), rear Ortlieb City Rollers, Tubus Vega Evo. Didn't bother with the rear panniers as we had hostel beds and bedding and kitchen. 3L Platypus bag in the frame bag, magnetic Osprey bite valve that sticks anywhere on the SST Vaya frame = BRILLIANT

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here I am ready for my first overnight tour. I have tent, food clothes, and of course a couple Beers!

2013 Vaya 54cm, I'm 5'7" and it fits me perfect. I changed a few things:
    Bars: Ritchey Pro, they have more hand space on top.
    Seat: WTB, soon to be a Brooks B17.
    Tires: Continental Touring Plus Reflex 32mm (VERY flat proof)... I wish I had gone Bigger, but the 32's are a good compromise.

Vaya Builds-vaya_loaded.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good choice on 32's for your size, I think you'll end up staying with them. Don't forget to bring a...... growler!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Deleted

Deleted
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011

My 2013 Vaya 2

Vaya Builds-photo.jpgHere's a shot of my Vaya on the Greer bridge over the Clearwater River in North Central Idaho. Beautiful Day! I've installed a Brooks C-17 Cambium, and Axiom Journey Rack (wonderfully strong for its weight), two Axiom small panniers (great for day long trips). I also changed out the Apex crank for an x.5 39/26 MTB crank, which with the 11/36 in the back gives me a good granny gearing for these steep hills in the area. The rest is pretty much stock, except for my headset cap, which sports my favorite beer cap of the week.
    Last edited by smilinguy; 06-23-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Left out information

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice ride! I'm still riding the Clement MSO 40's that the bike came with, and am pleasently surprised with how well they roll. Sometimes I really like having that extra rubber under me on the rural Idaho highways of Idaho where I live/ride. Lots of rough road, debris, etc. I do love the Conti Tour Plus tire, and have the 37s on my Vaya Ti. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LapTraffic View Post
    Here I am ready for my first overnight tour. I have tent, food clothes, and of course a couple Beers!

2013 Vaya 54cm, I'm 5'7" and it fits me perfect. I changed a few things:
    Bars: Ritchey Pro, they have more hand space on top.
    Seat: WTB, soon to be a Brooks B17.
    Tires: Continental Touring Plus Reflex 32mm (VERY flat proof)... I wish I had gone Bigger, but the 32's are a good compromise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaya_Loaded.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	902886

I kept the Conti TourRides on my Vaya for a week after I bought the bike and found that they are slow rolling. Put on my favorite tire, the Conti Folding 700x37 TravelContact. In the 8 years I have been riding/touring I have never had a flat with them. They are a little heavier than Schwalbe Marathon Supremes but roll faster and feel more agile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreene888 View Post
    I have also been looking for a Ti Vaya - I finally gave up and decided to put he Vaya parts on another manufacturer's Ti frame. I will be selling a white 58cm Vaya frame that was new in January.

Mike
    Vaya Builds-dscn1019-2-.jpg

Awhile back, I threatened to recreate the Vaya on a (Lynskey) ti frame. In the end, I decided to do an all new build instead of stripping the Vaya, so this isn’t a post so much to crow about my new toy but to share what I learned from the parts choices I made. After about 50 miles these are my impressions that could be of use to Vaya riders:

Tires – I tried 33mm Continental Sport Contact first, as an experiment to see how I liked a “street” tire on this bike. Believe the hype - they are a nightmare to mount. One tire was, IMO, defective re diameter and I sent it back. At about 45 min, with blisters on both thumbs, I tried the other tire which I was able to mount it in less than 5 min but I had a bad feeling about having to fix a tube on the road. They made the bike roll more like a racer but unsurprisingly, it wasn’t plush like the Clement MSOs on the Vaya. I also realized that they weren’t happening on the tame single track on my neighborhood loop. So, not really what I was looking for.

Switch to the Continental Speed Ride – now here is a happy surprise! The speed rides are the same class of tire as the MSO – mine measured about 1/16” narrower – but to my surprise they are plush but rolled almost as well as the Sport contacts @ about 60psi. Me likee – and they’re easy to mount. See the blurbs on Rivendell’s site – apparently, this tire is a store favorite there. Cheap too at ~$30.

Wheels and Brakes – my wheel builder encouraged me to go with the shimano cx hubs that take the new center lock brakes. With the Shimano CX 77 mechanical disc setup – I agree with several web reviews that these brakes modulate and stop better than the Avids.

Drive train – I stayed with 10 speed Sram due to familiarity, with a few changes. I used the 1070 cassette, XO long cage rear derailleur, Force 22 yaw front derail, and Rival shifters. They work great together and the shifting is quite a bit better than the stock Vaya. The force front derail is especially cool – makes you wonder why anybody would bother with electronic shifting. Comes with a chain keeper too. Waited for nice sale prices on all of the above. I learned too late that 11 speed chains will work on the above and are supposedly made with greater precision than 10 speed ones.

Frames - the Cooper is stiffer, turns a little quicker, but is still comfortable – the “crabon” fork surely dosent hurt in the comfort dept. I also like the higher BB because I feel like I can pedal through “U” turns.

Was it worth it? Well, like they say in stereo-land – 50% more money for a 5% better bike. But it was fun and for less than the estimated price to do the build up at my LBS, I got some new and used bike tools and built it myself and can now fix and mod in perpetuity. Smilinguy’s post Vaya Builds - Page 61 gave me pause that the Lynskey might not be as fun or comfortable as the Vaya but, overall, I am pretty satisfied.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Salsa should bring back the Vaya in Ti

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    Salsa should bring back the Vaya in Ti
    My point from start to finish.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Buy a 2014 Vaya now or wait for 2015? What changes in specs will be made this year? When will we know? Anyone have answers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Rider View Post
    Buy a 2014 Vaya now or wait for 2015? What changes in specs will be made this year? When will we know? Anyone have answers?
    Unless they add it to their new model list it doesn't look like there is going to be a 2015 Vaya. It's MIA on the blog listing the 2015 models.
    He who dares....wins!

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Unless they add it to their new model list it doesn't look like there is going to be a 2015 Vaya. It's MIA on the blog listing the 2015 models.
    I see a ton of vaya's around, perhaps as many as El Mariachis. I cant imagine Salsa'd can the vaya. Warbird is not on the blog either.

mtbr member
    Sounds crazy to me too but I was also shocked when they stopped making the Casseroll
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Rider View Post

Buy a frame/fork and build it up with components that you like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

2015 Vaya

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just spoke with Salsa. The Vaya remains unchanged from 2014. No changes at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My 2014 Vaya 3 (Kelly Green)
    Stock except for:
    Bontrager Affinity saddle
    SKS longboard fenders
    Bontrager rear rack
    2 steel bottle cages

Vaya Builds-vaya1.jpg

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fourfa View Post

Finished my first 3-day test tour. Been a roadie for 25 years but somehow never took up touring yet. Front and frame bags by Wanderlust Gear (Wanderlust Bikepacking Gear and Fatbike Pogies), rear Ortlieb City Rollers, Tubus Vega Evo. Didn't bother with the rear panniers as we had hostel beds and bedding and kitchen. 3L Platypus bag in the frame bag, magnetic Osprey bite valve that sticks anywhere on the SST Vaya frame = BRILLIANT
    Is that a Tubus Logo in the first photo? How does that brake positioning and dropout work with mounting the logo? I am very interested in this frame for use with a Rohloff but that is my only issue with it? What are your overall impressions of the frame?

edit: I now see that it's the same rack from the second photo.
    Last edited by mwv; 08-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It's the Vega Evo in both photos. I had to find spacers and longer bolts to make it work with the alternator dropouts (McMaster or Grainger or local industrial supply). No problem with the brake at all.

I was initially surprised how much I can feel the frame flex between the head tube and the loaded panniers, for instance with about 50lbs of groceries. Never had a bike capable of carrying much weight before, so I can't compare it to a LHT or such. Between getting the heavy/dense items in the frame bag, carrying more moderate loads, and trying to sway less while pedaling out of the saddle, I don't notice it now. This is in a tall 59cm of course.

Human Test Subject
    Chris King is warrantying my bottom bracket so my Vaya has been out of commission for the last 2 weeks. I'm jealous everyone's still able to ride theirs.

mtbr member
    Taking a break on a long gravel ride. +1 to bring back the Vaya Ti!

Vaya Builds-20140803_131839%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm looking for new tires for my Vaya, I´d like to go a bit bigger this time. Currently I´m running Continental Cyclo-X-King tires in 42mm (measured around 40mm) width and there is quiet some room for more. So what are the biggest tires you fit in your Vaya?
    I´m running a 56cm size and Fulcrum Red 29" XL wheels.

Thanks,
    Cpt. D.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    HI, I need a gentler granny gear than my 2014 stock 105 triple (50-39-30) with a Sram 12-32 cassette allows. Found this review which seems to suggest the standard 105 RD will work with an XT 11-36 (see photo). Any views gratefully received.
    Reviews | MountainBikeVa

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. D. View Post
    I'm looking for new tires for my Vaya, I´d like to go a bit bigger this time. Currently I´m running Continental Cyclo-X-King tires in 42mm (measured around 40mm) width and there is quiet some room for more. So what are the biggest tires you fit in your Vaya?
    I´m running a 56cm size and Fulcrum Red 29" XL wheels.

Thanks,
    Cpt. D.
    I fit some 29x2 WTB nine lines in mine but it was crazy close in the back (see pics a few pages back). Just get some 42c Clement MSOs and call it good. They're very plush and light in the 120 tpi flavor

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The reason you're not getting many replies is that the max-tire-size question has been asked and answered at least half a dozen times in this thread already. Happy reading.

Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13 53 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast