Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    well, my 56 is for sale

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=52838

hate to do it, but found something else I want even more

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Here's a cute little 52cm we built for a customer since someone asked for 52cm photos. Really nice bike, the owner has ridden it a ton since May.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya1.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya2.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya3.jpg  

I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

I dream on two wheels
    I was wondering what you guys are running for fenders. I have the stock tires on, but I don't think I would go any bigger. Once these wear out I'll probably be getting some Marathon Plus's, 1.75. Anyway, I was looking at these. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7029.html Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    I was wondering what you guys are running for fenders. I have the stock tires on, but I don't think I would go any bigger. Once these wear out I'll probably be getting some Marathon Plus's, 1.75. Anyway, I was looking at these. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7029.html Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!
    I'm not sure the 65mm fenders will fit - without sme modification... I LOVE my Dremel - yeah, that sounded creepy... sorry for that). but if they do - that's a great set.

I've got SKS P-50 fenders that I added Planet bike mud flaps to... it took about 5 minutes of Dremel work on the SKS fenders and they fit perfectly. You could probably use a file to do the same thing...

The SKS fenders aren't that long in the back (particularly on the rear wheel) so I called Planet bike and ordered some mudflaps. tHey arrived in 3 dys with a lovely note wishing me well on my tour! I lived in Madison for a bit and really like those folks - they're an excellent company to deal with.

S

I liked the SKS fendser because they were a bit wider...
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    I'm not sure the 65mm fenders will fit - without sme modification... I LOVE my Dremel - yeah, that sounded creepy... sorry for that). but if they do - that's a great set.

I've got SKS P-50 fenders that I added Planet bike mud flaps to... it took about 5 minutes of Dremel work on the SKS fenders and they fit perfectly. You could probably use a file to do the same thing...

The SKS fenders aren't that long in the back (particularly on the rear wheel) so I called Planet bike and ordered some mudflaps. tHey arrived in 3 dys with a lovely note wishing me well on my tour! I lived in Madison for a bit and really like those folks - they're an excellent company to deal with.

S

Thanks! I'll check them out. Madison WI? Went to college there and grew up in Green Bay. The only part about WI I miss is Madison.
    Whiskey

mtbr member

Ahhh Madison... :o

Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Thanks! I'll check them out. Madison WI? Went to college there and grew up in Green Bay. The only part about WI I miss is Madison.
    I miss lots about Madison: My cycling friends Joe, Mark, Faye, and others, Bob's Bad Breath Burger and a beer at The Weary Traveler, the Wednesday Night Bike ride and post ride beers, The Horribly Hilly Hundreds (ride that 3x!), Riding the Kettles all alone on a Friday afternoon into sunset, The Wisconsin Bike Fed., evening rides to Paoli with the sun setting on the way home, getting a bike fit at CronoMetro, ... I could go on.

Not that Colorado Springs isn't great... just different.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    I'm so torn right now. I have flopped between a Fargo and Vaya about 3 times over the past month. I am waiting to see what the 2011 stuff looks like, but I keep coming down to this single debate.....
    I currently have a Soma Double Cross with mostly Rival setup that is my cross race bike in the fall and commuter/early season trainer the other months.
    I like the idea of the 29" tires on the Fargo, but feel that the concept of the Vaya is more what I would use the whole bike for. I.E. dirt roads, gravel, paved, no major off roading, but some single track here and there like I do with my Soma. I do plan on doing some touring with the bike with a BOB trailer and it is going to be my daily commuter to work while the Soma becomes strictly a cyclocross race bike and early season trainer.
    Where my dilema comes is I almost feel the Vaya is a 26" disc brake version of my Soma, while the Fargo may be a more versatile platform that I has very little crossover with my Soma. I really like the idea of the fork leg bottle mounts for extended touring and epic day long adventures.
    I know this is the debate that comes up all the time. Currently one of each is not an option, I'd need to decide between the two and stick with that decision for awhile.
    Any input from the vaya users here?
    Thanks.
    -Pete

jne
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo

Do you have any pictures on your "dremel work" and how you fitted the fenders?

How wide tires can you run with them?

Would SKS P45 would fit without any modifications?

mtbr member

Just to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by jne
    Do you have any pictures on your "dremel work" and how you fitted the fenders?

How wide tires can you run with them?

Would SKS P45 would fit without any modifications?
    The Dremel work was just to put the Planet Bike mud flaps on those SKS fenders - sorry - I didn't make that clear in my post. The P50 fenders fit fine.

If you order the Planet Bike mud flaps - you'll see that it is just a matter of grinding the last bit of the fender a bit narrower and the mud flaps slide right on and then you can drill a couple of small holes for the plastic press rivets they provide with the mud flaps. It adds a few inches on the back of the fender that is really nice. The SKS fenders are great - but about 6" too short and have no mud flaps.

I'm running Scwahlbe Marathon Cross 700x40s. I think 45s might be tight - but will probably work. 42s should be fine.

The SKS P45 fenders will fit a Vaya fine - but won't cover tires any bigger than a 40 realistically... I'd highly recommend the P50 fenders...

It would be nice if the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders were in a slightly narrower size - say something to cover a 45 or 50 - say about 55mm wide. Hint, hint to the Planet Bike folks in Madison...

S

jne
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great, thanks for the info!

I ordered 50mm SKS fenders and 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes.
    Last edited by jne; 08-31-2010 at 01:22 PM.

jne
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Has anyone tried mounting Tubus Tara low rider on Salsa Vaya? I'm wondering if the front disc brake causes some problems with mounting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jne
    Has anyone tried mounting Tubus Tara low rider on Salsa Vaya? I'm wondering if the front disc brake causes some problems with mounting.
    I have not tried that rack... If you call Wayne at The Touring Store he'll likley be able to tell you what will work and what won't. I've heard he's pretty awesome.

The front brake did require a little bending of the fender supports to stay clear. I've seen some folks use extenders to do the same thing and that'll work nicely as well ...

S

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A question for the Vaya folks. I'm seriously considering a Vaya Ti for next year's gravel fun (it'll beat using my Fisher mtb with a rigid fork for DK again). I was thinking about fork alternatives to allow for a larger front tire, say a Niner carbon rigid. Has anyone tried anything other than the stock fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The niner fork is much longer, a 26 inch deploying with suspension correction is what u want. Although I don't know why u want so wide for dk? Stock fits 42s

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    The niner fork is much longer, a 26 inch deploying with suspension correction is what u want. Although I don't know why u want so wide for dk? Stock fits 42s
    I thought the suspension correction might cause problems but I kinda want to see it tried as a science experiment. I'd like to run a fatter front tire (say, 29x2.0) tubeless in the front for hit protection at the bottom of hills. I ran Stan's Ravens 29x2.0 for this year's race and they were about perfect. Fast rolling, tubeless, and I was able to blow through descents without touching my brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    although I've never tried it, the suspension corrected 29er forks I have here are WAY longer than you would want on the Vaya. I have tried putting one of them on a 26" mountain bike before with horrible results. I do run a 26" cromoto fork on my 1996 Marin Pine Mountain with a 29" wheel, but the overall difference is actually much smaller there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

... and if we just ... Party

Well here's mine. Only had it built for a couple weeks and been putting some decent miles on it.

Vaya frame (58)
    Crank Brothers XC headset
    Wheelset: Bontrager Race X Lite 29 (Stock take off of 08 GF Superfly)
    Kenda Kwicker front tire (38) - have same as rear for loaded touring
    Conti TourRide rear tire (42)
    Avid BB7 road calipers
    Sram Apex Compact Crankset (34/50)
    Time ATAC XS Pedals
    Sram Apex shifters
    Sram Apex 11-32 10-speed Cassette
    Sram chain (came with Apex groupo)
    Salsa Woodchippys - 46 cm
    Thomson X2 stem
    Salsa gel tape - have brown on order, the shite i got on there now is obnoxious
    Sram Apex front and rear derailleur
    Thomson Elite seat post
    Brooks B-17 pre-aged saddle (not shown)
    Alternate WTB Rocket V SLT with Ti rails for winter time
    Rack: Salsa Wanderlust rear and Salsa Downunder front low rider (both to be added when available)
    Bags: TBD
    Fenders - Planet Bike Cascadia (not shown)
    Salsa green lip lock and skewers

Bike is tons of fun so far. Been rocking it on dirt roads, pave, BAD pave and even some mild Michigan XC trails (see no downhill courses with baby heads). The tire setup actually rips trails pretty well with the cross tire up front and the balloon in the back.

-Matt V
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-photo-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thats nearly identical to my build. I barely have 100km on it and already I know this bike will be ridden far more then some of my other bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Crankset: Shimano LX FC-T661 26-36-48
    Chain: Shimano HG-73
    Cassette: Shimano LX CS-HG80 11-28
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra FD-6703
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX RD-T661

Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
    Handlebar: Deda Newton Anatomic
    Stem: Thomson Elite X2
    Handlebar Tape: Salsa Gel Cork
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road
    Shifters: Shimano Ultegra ST-6510 9sp
    Tires: Schwalbe Durano/Marathon Supreme/Racing Ralph/Marathon Winter
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite InLine
    Saddle: Charge Spoon Ti
    Педали: Shimano PD-M540

Hubs: Shimano XT M756
    Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
    Nipples: DT Swiss brass
    Rims: Mavic A317

Last edited by undrsky; 12-08-2010 at 12:32 PM.

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So, a question fro the guys that built up their frames.

I'm getting all my parts/pieces together to build mine up but wasn't sure what part # to order for the down tube cable stops - Shimano has a couple (barrel v. wing adjuster, concave v. convex mounting). This should probably be obvious but I'm a little sleep deprived right now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi,
    my German dealer just around the corner offered the choice "for steel frames" or "for alloy frames" - so it was easy to decide. But that would not help you.
    This American dealer f.e. describes it as "traditional curved back" so it should be right. (The alloy stops have a flatter back.)

I have the barrel adjusters on my Vaya and the wing adjusters on my Casseroll. The barrel adj. have a wider adjusting range, the wing adj. have a (more or less) quick release funktion. Both are working fine.

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sweet! Thanks. I ended up ordering one of each yesterday because I got impatient

Minnesota Rider

My Vaya

Built it up this past fall. 1x10. Thought I'd share. Sorry about the crappy quality, cell phone pics. Only thing I'd like to add is a Salsa Wanderlust rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-74080_1721581280779_1275720043_1891516_4221065_n.jpg  

Vaya Builds-img00051-20101002-1324.jpg  

Vaya Builds-img00029-20110109-1743.jpg  

Vaya Builds-img00031-20110109-1745.jpg  

Vaya Builds-img00017-20110109-1732.jpg  

Vaya Builds-img00018-20110109-1732.jpg  

mtbr member
    Will have mine mid-March...

Oh how this will feel like an eternity. I can't wait to join the Vaya club.

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Almost done!

I JUST finished mine up today and got out for a very quick ride in the cold. Rides incredibly well! I'm hoping to hit many, MANY miles of gravel this year on this bike.
    Here's my build:
    Frame: 58cm 2010
    Fork: stock Vaya
    Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
    Bars: 46cm Woodchippers
    Saddle: Specialized Toupe
    Stem: 90cm Race Face Ride XC*
    Shifters: 2011 SRAM Rival
    Front D: SRAM Force
    Rear D: SRAM Rival mid cage
    Crank: SRAM Force 50/34
    BB: Enduro hybrid ceramic
    Pedals: Time ATAC Titan Carbon
    Cassette:SRAM PG-1070 11-32
    Chain: KMC X-10 Ti
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road/160mm G3 rotors*
    Wheelset:Chris King hubs/DT Swiss TK7.1d rims*
    Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x40c (tubed for now)
    Etc.: Gore RideOn sealed cables
    *temporary parts to get up & riding

It sits right at 25lbs. for now. I have a lighter wheelset (AC hubs/Stan's Crest), rotors, seatpost, stem, and a handful of Ti hardware that should shave a little off that. Tires will be tubeless when I get the new wheelset.

Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast