Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
Results 2,351 to 2,388 of 2388

Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car View Post
    For those of you with the vaya travel and alternator dropouts, how do you attach fenders? I can't seem to find any fender mounts.

Anyone have pictures? Do I need another part?

I bought Planet Bike ATB Cascadia Fenders if it makes a difference.
    I use some rubber-lined clamps that attach to the seat stay right above where it attaches to the drop out. They're offered by several brands.

I bought the alternator drop-outs with the fender attachment, but the disc brake is right in the way of the fender struts. Like, completely in the way, so I'd have to bend the damn strut like origami or fashion something custom. So I don't really use them. The chainstay attachment works better.

HTH
    Yamaguchi School Cyclocross • 907 Fat Bike • Salsa Vaya Travel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    Well I'm bummed to say that after roughly 30,000 commuter miles my 2010 Vaya decided to call it quits. I found this on my ride home from work this afternoon after a new creak and a progressively worse wobble in my ride
    Holy crap. That's amazing. I'd say you earned a new bike!

mtbr member
    New tire day for the Vaya. These smooth rolling Compass tires replace the old tire of choice Clement X'Plor mso's. I like the Clement's on gravel but they wear quickly on paved trail. Hoping for more miles out of the big Barlow Pass tires.

Vaya Builds-newtires.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Build Sheet
    2015 Vaya Travel 57cm

Drivetrain/Braking
    Crank: SRAM X7 42/28t
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM GX 10sp
    Cassette: SunRace 10sp 11-42t (~18 to 105 gear inches)
    Shifters/Brake Levers: SRAM Apex Brifters
    Brakes: TRP Spyre

Cockpit
    Stem: Dimension 90mm 17deg
    Handlebar: Salsa Cowbell
    Tape: Brooks Microfiber
    Seat: Brooks B17
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite setback
    Headset: FSA Orbit

Wheels
    Rims: Velocity Aileron 36h. I'm conflicted about these, they nice, but the deeper section makes packing the bike slightly more challenging.
    Hubs: Shimano XT 36h 6 bolt disc If I did this again I would do center lock, center lock disc mounts are smaller and would make packing a lot easier.
    Spokes: DT Swiss Comp
    Tires: Vittoria Voyager Hyper 38mm Really love these, and so cheap from Planet X. I'm embarrassed to say how many extra pairs I have.

Other stuff
    Fenders: SKS Longboard P50
    Dropouts: Alternator fender dropouts.
    Rear Rack: Salsa Alternator "Low Deck" This is the rack that comes stock on the Marrakesh. Lower, narrower, has a higher weight limit, and looks better than the older alternator rack.
    Panniers: Ortlieb Backroller Classic

Had a work thing in Czech last week, so I crammed all that crap in an S&S backpack case and took a riding/camping trip from Prague up to Dresden along the river.

The Vaya on the Vltava (River)

And later, north of Melnik somewhere, loaded up

Last edited by rashidkpc; 10-16-2016 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    ... the disc brake is right in the way of the fender struts. Like, completely in the way, so I'd have to bend the damn strut like origami or fashion something custom. ...
    I can confirm origami was required.

But I'm happy with how they turned out. Also, high five on removing the giant Salsa stickers and leaving the discrete "Adventure by Bike" one

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Vaya Builds-img_3879.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    rashidkpc, that's pretty much what I did with my rear stays, too. Pictures can be found somewhere in this thread.

Just took a few days off and did some touring...absolutely love this bike.

Vaya Builds-14615622_10154119081318668_5478834158132639144_o.jpg
    Vaya Builds-gap3.jpgVaya Builds-gap2.jpgVaya Builds-gap1.jpgVaya Builds-gap4.jpg
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Human Test Subject
    Anyone with Snoqualmie Pass tires figure out a fender solution yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    rashidkpc, that's pretty much what I did with my rear stays, too. Pictures can be found somewhere in this thread.

Just took a few days off and did some touring...absolutely love this bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14615622_10154119081318668_5478834158132639144_o.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	1099496

Name:	gap3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1099497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	1099498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	1099499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	1099500
    Nice rig! Silly question, but what pants are those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm just getting started. I had a 2012 Vaya 3 frame and fork powder coated. I'm starting from scratch. I see some have gone with SRAM GX 10 speed with Apex Brifter. SRAM now has GX Type 2.1 capable of handling an 11 speed cassette. I have not seen an 11 speed Apex Brifter. Is there a work around?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Icthawk View Post
    I'm just getting started. I had a 2012 Vaya 3 frame and fork powder coated. I'm starting from scratch. I see some have gone with SRAM GX 10 speed with Apex Brifter. SRAM now has GX Type 2.1 capable of handling an 11 speed cassette. I have not seen an 11 speed Apex Brifter. Is there a work around?
    I'd love to be wrong about this, but I don't think SRAM 11 speed road gear and 11 speed MTB gear plays nicely together like all the 10 speed stuff does.

I have 10 speed Apex brifters paired up to a 10 speed X9 derailleur. I LOVE this combination as it gives me the clutch rear derailleur in a 2x system. The clutch is great for eliminating chain slap, but it's the cage lock feature that I really love when taking the rear wheel off.

If I ever rebuilt, I don't think I could replace my set up with an 2 x 11 speed option road option with the clutch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks. It had me wondering when it looked all that they had was thumb shifters for 11 speed. The 2016 Vayas have Apex brifters with Avid bb7 brakes and Sram GX all in 10 speed. I would look at Shimano but I am not versed enough to make a decision. My road bike is simple 105. I have never used anything else.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Nice rig! Silly question, but what pants are those?
    They're REI/Novara brand, had them a couple years now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

<3 the Vaya!

So much yes for all the Vaya builds! I just got mine about 6 weeks ago and it's quickly become my favorite bike! Still haven't decided on which porter bag to go with, but here's the rig so far (though has diff tires now & yes I left reflectors for now)
    Vaya Builds-img_0525.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cglenn19 View Post
    So much yes for all the Vaya builds! I just got mine about 6 weeks ago and it's quickly become my favorite bike! Still haven't decided on which porter bag to go with, but here's the rig so far (though has diff tires now & yes I left reflectors for now)

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	1099974
    nice!
    what front rack is that?
    did it come with those mounting brackets or is it a custom / hack job?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rashidkpc View Post
    I can confirm origami was required.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do that now. Time to source some new struts.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's some shots of the bending I did. I originally had the front fenders attached to the mid-blade eyelets w/ the plastic breakaway pieces so I didn't have to deal with the front disc caliper. Went I got the low rider rack, I just took off the plastic pieces and used some bolts/nuts/washers to mount directly to the rack, no re-bending needed.

Vaya Builds-dwnundr_side.jpg
    Vaya Builds-vaya_fndrstays-rear.jpg

mtbr member
    What tools did you use? Just two pair of pliers? Or was a vice involved?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Single pair of pliers and my hands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    It's the Surly 24-pack rack & came with the mounting brackets.. not sure why they're not black though .. Cargo | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeCanuck View Post
    nice!
    what front rack is that?
    did it come with those mounting brackets or is it a custom / hack job?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Is your frame color a standard Salsa color? I like it. I'm ready to powder coat mine and need to choose a color. I thought I was replying to a specific post. The 2015 Vaya Traveler above is a nice silver color. Looks like a ti bike. Does anyone have any information on this color?
    Last edited by Icthawk; 10-31-2016 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Icthawk View Post
    Is your frame color a standard Salsa color? I like it. I'm ready to powder coat mine and need to choose a color. I thought I was replying to a specific post. The 2015 Vaya Traveler above is a nice silver color. Looks like a ti bike. Does anyone have any information on this color?
    Not Ti, it's stainless steel:

MY2015 info: 2015 Vaya Travel | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Mine is a 2013: 2013 Vaya Travel | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I used a vice along with some wooden jaws and a piece of hollow round bar. Two pairs of pliers would probably work too.

Human Test Subject
    Vaya Builds-2.jpg
    Planet Bike 29er Cascadias fit without any cutting, so those are my new fenders now. They're not as nice as SKSs but they will easily cover a 44c tire.

Also my commute has some f'n pretty spots.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Became a two Vaya household today...

The Ti was a former Salsa demo bike that had been hauled around and displayed, but not ridden much. It was being sold as a demo unit for $2600 and I couldn't pass it up....

Not letting go of the steelie though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have a Vaya 3. I just installed 105 5703 shifters and a xt M772 rear with an 11-34 cassette. New 5703 front derailleur is on the way. I still have the Sun SR25 wheel set. Can anyone recommend a wheel set the would be lighter but still fairly bombproof for bumpy single track?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New Vaya Build, Keep and Eye out for this stolen one though...

Hi All,

I am new to mtbr, but really appreciate all of your posts! I have used the forum in a number of extensive builds and other complicated compatibility questions.

Here is a pic of my old Vaya, such a great bike. After viewing some of the other posts I figured I had to share.

I built this bike working at a shop which is why the spec is a little ridiculous (let's just say I got a good deal on Dura Ace).

Sadly, this bike was stolen in Portland, OR last June. If anyone sees it, O god please let me know.

In some good news, I am now working on a replacement. I will post pics as soon as I get it built, just awaiting parts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-salsa-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky831 View Post
    I have a Vaya 3. I just installed 105 5703 shifters and a xt M772 rear with an 11-34 cassette. New 5703 front derailleur is on the way. I still have the Sun SR25 wheel set. Can anyone recommend a wheel set the would be lighter but still fairly bombproof for bumpy single track?

Thanks
    You can pretty much pick any lightweight XC 29er wheelset with QRs and they would fit the bill (that's a big benefit to 10 spd over 11 road). CX disc wheels would work too... I've been really happy with the Velocity A23 discs when I run them on the Vaya, and if you watch ebay you can pick them up pretty cheap but they don't turn up that often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    You can pretty much pick any lightweight XC 29er wheelset with QRs and they would fit the bill (that's a big benefit to 10 spd over 11 road). CX disc wheels would work too... I've been really happy with the Velocity A23 discs when I run them on the Vaya, and if you watch ebay you can pick them up pretty cheap but they don't turn up that often.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Not that I'm trying to go super light, but if I can shave a little weight in the wheel department then I'm all for it.

My Vaya has become my goto steed. I love the look on rider's faces when I'm out in the sticks on some single track and come across a group on FS bikes. I love my FS bike, too, but this rigid steel Vaya reminds me of my younger years hitting trails before the suspension movement.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Vaya Builds-img_20161106_095453901.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Grateful to have found this thread after stumbling upon a 2012 Ti frame in my size while passively looking for an steel jack-of-all-trades to build up. Pulled the trigger. I read this thread like a book after making the purchase just to get some starting points (so thank you all for continuing to use it all these years!)

Almost done (my first build), and would love some thoughts on the last few minor pieces. Main purposes are commuting, gravel, light single track and light bike camping (in that order). Though I know I could have gone a million ways, I've already committed to Shimano 11sp, so I'm pot-committed there (at least for a bit). Here's what I've got so far:

Vaytanium Build
    2012 Vaya Ti 56 (5'10", 32 inseam)
    Fork: Think he sent me an off brand steel disc fork :/ Will work for the 40c, but may upgrade. Suggestions?

Crankset: 50/34 Ultegra 6800, 175
    Cassette: 11-32 Ultegra 6800
    BB: Dura Ace 9000 68mm English Thread
    RD: Ultegra 6800, Long Cage
    FD: Ultegra 6800, 34.9 clamp
    Brifters: Dura Ace 9000
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road 160mm

Wheelset: Stan's No Tubes Alpha 400's
    Tires: WTB Nanos 700x40

Handlebars: 42cm Cowchippers
    Stem: ? Stock build has Salsa Guide or Pro Moto 2, 90mm, +5deg rise? I know this is highly personal
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 series
    Saddle: Brooks B17
    Seatpost: ? Salsa Shaft? Is it worth splurging on a Ti post with a Ti frame? Carbon too fragile?
    Rear Rack: Salsa Wanderlust
    Back Fender: ? Thoughts?
    WB Cages: Classic King Cages? (Stainless steel or Ti)

Would appreciate any personal experience or thoughts! Thanks again all for sharing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Here is my 2012 Vaya Ti just completed. Special thanks to Missing Link Bike Shop in Portland Oregon!

Just as an FYI, you can go 11-40 on a 46-36 with the Wolf Tooth Road link. You can even go 34-46 with 11-40, but will have chain issues if you end up cross chaining.

Let me know if you have any q's about the build. Just got it done today to replace my steel Vaya stolen last June. Took just a few pedal strokes and it felt amazing. 28.5 lbs as pictured, still need to adjust the saddle and cut the fork, then it's time to hit the road.

Concerning the fork, I did a bunch of research. I needed a 350mm carbon steerer so Wound Up was my only option. As you are on a smaller frame, the much more affordable Spot brand disc fork looks good and comes with eyelets for fenders. Enve also makes great forks, even one that has a built in fender, but they are all tapered so a no go. I just ended up investing more in other parts and keeping the steel Vaya fork.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya-t3.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-t2.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-t1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by genefruit View Post
    Likewise, I've lurked for a while but never posted my build from last October. Stainless Steel Salsa Vaya with S&S couplers. I found this one in my size (54) in Germany. Highlights include first instance of the GELBA Rohbox in the United States. This item allows for the use of traditional shifters to control the Rohloff gearbox.

Attachment 1062398Attachment 1062399
    I just picked up a brand new stainless steel Vaya Travel frameset on eBay and plan to build it up using a Rohloff wheelset I already have. I also want to purchase and run a Rohbox, but am curious how you routed the Rohloff cables on your Vaya.

If you could, it would be greatly appreciated if you provided some additional pictures showing the routing under the bottom bracket and of the entire chainstay. Also, what did you use as cable stops at the bottom bracket/chainstay?

Thank you! Your build is stunning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have finally gotten started. I started with a 2012 Vaya frame. I just got it back from powder coating. I've built two sets of disc wheels. One for gravel/bike packing and the other for road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    That's a nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    Here is

my 2012 Vaya Ti just completed. Special thanks to Missing Link Bike Shop in Portland Oregon!

Just as an FYI, you can go 11-40 on a 46-36 with the Wolf Tooth Road link. You can even go 34-46 with 11-40, but will have chain issues if you end up cross chaining.

Let me know if you have any q's about the build. Just got it done today to replace my steel Vaya stolen last June. Took just a few pedal strokes and it felt amazing. 28.5 lbs as pictured, still need to adjust the saddle and cut the fork, then it's time to hit the road.

Concerning the fork, I did a bunch of research. I needed a 350mm carbon steerer so Wound Up was my only option. As you are on a smaller frame, the much more affordable Spot brand disc fork looks good and comes with eyelets for fenders. Enve also makes great forks, even one that has a built in fender, but they are all tapered so a no go. I just ended up investing more in other parts and keeping the steel Vaya fork.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	1102973
    Planet Bike 29er Cascadias fit without any cutting, so those are my new fenders now. They're not as nice as SKSs but they will easily cover a 44c tire.

Also my commute has some f'n pretty spots.
    Love those silver Ailerons

Human Test Subject
    Thanks! They're actually polished but get grimey and dull pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyone here tried/heard of the Straggler fork on a Vaya? Looks like similar specs (little different rake though). My frame didn't come with the Salsa fork, so I could go get a steel Vaya fork but the Straggler would offer much more flexibility in tire clearance.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748