Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaya Builds

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by CMu_dogtag
    I have a size 55 frame, running Conti Top Contacts 700x47 and wear a size 11 shoe. Occasionally the very tip of my shoes will brush the front tire but nothing bad.
    Exactly... And with 40c Schwalbe Marathon Extremes on my Vaya, overlap isn't an issue at all with my size 10.5/44.5 feet. Go a little bigger on the tires and you might get some light brushing of the toes, but it wouldn't be anything major.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    here are pictures- see my blog for a write-up of my first ride with many more pictures etc.
    That bike looks good...

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCircles
    Here are some pictures of my Vaya. It's a 60cm... I'm 6 3.5" tall and have a 36" pant inseam. The bike fits me perfectly and has been a joy to ride.

These were taken while riding a 400K brevet last Saturday:

And here is one of the Vaya in commuter mode:

This frameset was built up with SRAM Rival components, BB7 brakes, Salsa S.U.L stem/Bell Lap bar, Cane Creek 100 headset, Salsa Shaft seat post, Brooks Swift Ti seat...and the wheels are Hadley hubs w/Stan's Flow rims. I too am running Schwable Marathon Extreme 40's. (Awesome tires...even on pavement!)

I added a Tubus Cargo Expedition rack along with Deuter Panniers or an Axiom trunk bag - depending on what I might be doing.

Salsa has really hit the mark with this bike. As soon as I read about it I ordered one and it's turning out to be one of the best all around bikes that I have ever owned.

Gravel/Ultra Distance/Commuting - all good!
    Your bike reminds me of a BMW GS1200A. Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    That bike looks good...

thanks man- it's looking even better to me now... raised the bars a bit, pared the equipment down to what is really needed and swapped to a comfier saddle for trans wisconsin.

Expect some more pictures of it after that!

Only thing I'm not entirely convinced of right now is the gearing... I really like the 11-34 cassette for this bike (it's nice to not have to shift up front for most rollers), but I'm not sure I really need a 34/50 setup in the front. I may wind up running something more like 36 or 38 for the small ring.

these are great bikes

-Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks man- it's looking even better to me now... raised the bars a bit, pared the equipment down to what is really needed and swapped to a comfier saddle for trans wisconsin.

Only thing I'm not entirely convinced of right now is the gearing... I really like the 11-34 cassette for this bike (it's nice to not have to shift up front for most rollers), but I'm not sure I really need a 34/50 setup in the front. I may wind up running something more like 36 or 38 for the small ring.
    these are great bikes
    -Drew
    on gearing: After putting a couple hundred miles on my vaya I am also starting to think that a 36/48 cross crank with an 11/34 in the back would be the hot ticket. I currently have 11/32 and 34/50.

i heart singletrack

these are great bikes

-Drew
    Interesting you mention the gearing up-front... I ended up going with a 36/50 in the front, myself. I toggle between a 11/32 and a 12/25 cassette in the rear, depending on where I'm riding. I actually did the Dirty Kanza 200 with the 12/25 and didn't really need much lower gears than I had, but I suspect for the multi-day affair you're going to be into with TransWisconsin, you'll definitely want the lower gears. I bet a 36 would set you up right... But you're right, they really nailed it with the Vaya. The ride and handling of the frameset are really spectacular, and for the price, it's amazingly tough to beat.

Good luck this weekend, Drew! I may see you up there. I'll be camping with the Salsa crew up in the Cable area, so we're hoping to see the TransWisconsin racers as you guys roll through there.

Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for everybody's input. I pulled the trigger on a 56, should be here in about a week. Now I'm wondering about tires and running tires w/ fenders. It sounds like most everybody is running anything from 40s all the way up to 47s. I thought I saw somewhere that the Vaya would take a 42 max if you're running fenders. Any truth to this?

Now for something completely different.... Has anybody tried putting a fat 650b tire/wheelset on a Vaya yet? I'm not really interested in running 650s, but I'd like to see what they look like or if they even fit. There's photos around the web of a LaCruz fitted with the b's and it looks kind of cool. It'd be sweet to have a super versatile bike a bit more versatile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Interesting you mention the gearing up-front... I ended up going with a 36/50 in the front, myself. I toggle between a 11/32 and a 12/25 cassette in the rear, depending on where I'm riding. I actually did the Dirty Kanza 200 with the 12/25 and didn't really need much lower gears than I had, but I suspect for the multi-day affair you're going to be into with TransWisconsin, you'll definitely want the lower gears. I bet a 36 would set you up right... But you're right, they really nailed it with the Vaya. The ride and handling of the frameset are really spectacular, and for the price, it's amazingly tough to beat.

Good luck this weekend, Drew! I may see you up there. I'll be camping with the Salsa crew up in the Cable area, so we're hoping to see the TransWisconsin racers as you guys roll through there.

Cheers,
    MG

Gonna be there Monday/Tuesday? lol, that's a lot of riding to get to where ya'll will be!

I have a 12/25 and 11/23 cassettes laying around too that are "extra" now that I am runnin my jake the snake single speed only (which is pretty great too btw)

The 'normal' setup for my vaya will be the 12/25 on my tubular wheels with tufo dry plus 32s rather than the stans set with the specialized tires in my pictures (which is borrowed from my mamasita). Regardless, the 34 is too small up front gearing wise and I bet it would shift better with less of a jump.

so far as the 650b and tire/fender questions- I've no idea. I've got plenty of room with 45s/42s on my bike (looks about perfect to me), but I've never been one for fenders. The 650b thing is an interesting idea, but I really can't see myself riding this anywhere I couldn't ride it with the tires I have now.

I dream on two wheels
    I just bought a Vaya this weekend. Its replacing my commuter/city bike that got stolen a couple weeks ago.
    I think its probably one of the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Its really nice down in the drops.

Photobucket
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Your bike reminds me of a BMW GS1200A. Nice looking bike!
    Belated thanks for the comments on my Vaya...

It's turning out to be the bike of choice for just about anything these days. Most of the other bikes in my stable have been collecting dust.

It was the ultimate setup for the DK200 - which was the the original purpose of the build in the first place.

Harmonius Wrench
    Here's a review by Salsa Cycles sponsored rider, Matt Gersib, on the Vaya for anyone wondering about this rig: http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/201...cles-vaya.html

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Here's a review by Salsa Cycles sponsored rider, Matt Gersib, on the Vaya for anyone wondering about this rig: http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/201...cles-vaya.html
    Thanks for the opportunity to write this and submit it for your site, Guitar Ted.

Cheers,
    MG

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCircles
    ...Salsa has really hit the mark with this bike. As soon as I read about it I ordered one and it's turning out to be one of the best all around bikes that I have ever owned.

Gravel/Ultra Distance/Commuting - all good!
    I believe you and I met during the Dirty Kanza 200... If you're who I'm thinking of, it was a pleasure meeting and having the opportunity to ride with you for a while. You rode great out there.

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-mg_checkpoint2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi,
    and now for something completely different...

Unlike most of the guys (and girls?) showing their more sportive Vayas here before, I decided to build it up as a comfortable city bike in a slight retro look.
    Yesterday it was finished for a first test ride and some quick shots in the evening sun.
    It proved to be a very smooth ride due to the upright bar position, the Brooks Flyer saddle and the absolutely silent Alfine hub gear.
    Hope you enjoy it! I do!

(with the skyline of the city of Frankfurt in the hazy background)

Regards from Germany
    Gerd

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Gnat/Jason,

What size is your Vaya?

Can anyone post side view photos of a 57 complete? Those of you that have a 57, what's your inseam? Thanks
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

mtbr member

My Vaya is a 57

Quote Originally Posted by shile
    Gnat/Jason,

What size is your Vaya?

Can anyone post side view photos of a 57 complete? Those of you that have a 57, what's your inseam? Thanks
    Shile, my Vaya is a 57. I checked out your photos too. Awesome stuff.

Gnat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya_side_profile.jpg  

Last edited by Salsa Cycles; 07-20-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added image
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeOppa
    Hi,

Unlike most of the guys (and girls?) showing their more sportive Vayas here before, I decided to build it up as a comfortable city bike in a slight retro look.
    Yesterday it was finished for a first test ride and some quick shots in the evening sun.
    It proved to be a very smooth ride due to the upright bar position, the Brooks Flyer saddle and the absolutely silent Alfine hub gear.
    Hope you enjoy it! I do!

(with the skyline of the city of Frankfurt in the hazy background)

Regards from Germany
    Gerd
    That is all sorts of awesome. Nice job on the build!

mtbr member
    SHWEET!!!!

I'm debating putting a Titec J-bar on mine after riding and touring with drops ... this was a nice nudge in that direction...

Thanks for sharing!

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Hi,

Hope you enjoy it! I do!

Regards from Germany
    Gerd
    Awesome build! You've got me thinking. Thanks for sharing that!

Jason/Gnat
    Salsa Crew
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm doing the same thing with my Fargo now that I've got my Vaya built up. I actually sold my original Fargo and went a size down on my second Fargo (from an XL to a L) when I got my Vaya, since the Fargo is now a full-on mountain bike, with no gravel intentions.

I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 40c tires too. I think there's plenty of fender clearance in there though... No reason to run something smaller. I'm running them tubeless too!
    Those are interestingly strange not-quite-drop-bars. What are they?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi,

Regards from Germany
    Gerd
    Now that's a splendid build , been thinking about rebuilding my city bike in a similar fashion, I'll be using some of your ideas I think - thanks for posting

?hipster?
    Quote Originally Posted by shile
    Gnat/Jason,

What size is your Vaya?

Shile, mine is a 57, stock off the shelf, I'm 6' tall w/32 inseam. I like to slam the seat all the way back, I would probably need a longer stem if I didn't. The stem is listed as a 10cm, but is really 9.5. I can easily use all bar positions. I have only had it less than two weeks, but this is the most stable/comfortable road bike I've ever been on, serious rider >35 years.

Your pics are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-p1010602-2-.jpg  

Vaya Builds-p1010603-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think I found my size. Thanks for the info and pics.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Shile, my Vaya is a 57. I checked out your photos too. Awesome stuff. Gnat
    Thanks for the side pic and compliments on my site. I dig your stuff too and want to start combining bikes and the DSLR. I ordered a large Fargo and will probably get a 57 Vaya too.

So far, I'm thinking about some white spoked Spinergy 29er wheels, Race Face Cadence CX cranks, XT der.s, Thomson post/stem, BB7s, and either barcons or brifters.

Steve

2OFME
    Sep 2006

52cm pics anyone?

Anyone got pics of a built up 52cm Vaya? The closest Salsa dealer to my location is over an hour away. I'm about size for a 52cm, just curious how it looks built up.

Thanks,
    -Pete

Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast