Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Lets try that link again...

I'm very happy with the change. I've run up to 40c tires with both forks. The Whisky has a bit more clearance than the Winwood. Tires that will fit in the rear of the Vaya will not fit in the Winwood.

The Winwood is also a bit stiffer...I've seen people use it on Tandems. It's pretty beefy. The Whisky has a noticeably better ride on choppy gravel.

Separate from the weight savings, the great ride quality of the Whisky fork makes it a worthy upgrade.
    Thanks for a great blog post and review.. I can't seem to find the No.7 however (with straight 1.125 steertube and disc brake lugs). The No.5 however seems to meet your criteria perfectly? Notice the URL says No.7 but the description says No.5?!?

Code:
    treefortbikes.com/product/333222375015/111/Whisky-Parts-Co-No-7-Road.html#navbar=pro___333222375016___111
    (the forum will not let me post links)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here are some more pictures of the Ruby Red Vaya that I finally got set up the way I like it. Perfect for gravel. Really getting tired of this cold weather though.

Sorry the images are poor quality. Need a better camera.

Harmonius Wrench

Vaya Project Finished......for now

Okay, here it is in semi-completed form. I may decide to upgrade in several areas depending on how well I like this bike. We'll see....

1. 2011 Vaya frame (I also have the steel fork- not used here.)
    2. Winwood Muddy Cross fork (Courtesy of "lawfarm" here. Thanks!)
    3. Wheels- Edge Carbon XC laced to Am Classic Disc via DT Swiss Aerolites
    4. 10spd SRAM TT bar end rear der shifter, 10spd SRAM 11-36t cassette, 9spd SRAM X-9 rear der
    5. TruVativ Elita triple, less outer ring, Shimano BioPace 42T and SRAM inner 30T
    6. SRAM X-Gen frt der, dual pull, high mount. Shifted by Shimano friction bar end
    7. Vintage Tamer carbon seat post, SE Racing branded Velo saddle
    8. On One Midge Bar, Bonty gel tape, Tektro RL 520 levers, Salsa CroMoto stem
    9. Tires: Vee Rubber X-C-X 1.75"ers tubed.
    10. Avid Mtn BB-7 brakes with Quad Brake rotors, 180frt/160 rear

Total weight without pedals- 23lbs on the nose. Could easily go lower with a few swaps. Had to use what I have for now. It'll be a bit before I can ride it. Report to follow.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya-1-13-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks to me like there are a few carbon fork choices:
    spot
    carver
    whisky
    winwood

pros/cons suggestions?

Thanks!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rjclutt View Post
    Looks to me like there are a few carbon fork choices:
    spot
    carver
    whisky
    winwood

pros/cons suggestions?

Thanks!
    Well, lawfarm, who I got the Winwood from, (no longer available, by the way), says the whiskey 7 felt better to him than this Winwood fork. I researched several riders who have Carver forks and all seemed to like those, but you never know what is what when asking folks opinions on fork "feel". Spot riders also seemed quite pleased with their forks as well.

I may upgrade to a better fork at some point, but it will likely be a steel custom fork by someone like WaltWorks, etc. I can get a fork that is reasonable in weight but exactly what I want in geometry, which I am not finding in carbon.

get down!
    I have a Carber full carbon disc cyclocross fork that I will be selling soon. I'm going back to a mini v brake on my La Cruz Ti and building up a Fargo for my disc/gravel bike duties. Steerer is uncut. PM if interested and I'll buy an ad.

See what I did to it here. Fork is an amazing matte black now...still looks great.

Beats, Bikes and Life: Carver Fork repaint...install...review?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    Here are some more pictures of the Ruby Red Vaya that I finally got set up the way I like it. Perfect for gravel. Really getting tired of this cold weather though.

Sorry the images are poor quality. Need a better camera.
    Nice bike! What size Vaya frame and what size Revelate frame bag do you happen to have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey thanks! Bike is 57cm with medium revelate tangle bag. I am 6'0.5" with 34" inseam and the configuration is perfect coming from a mtb background. I need a better camera to capture the red color better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here's my Vaya Ti build

54cm frame
    M960 XTR 28 hole hubs laced 2X with Velocity Blunt SL rims
    Michelin Pilot Sport 700X35c tires running tubeless
    XTR 42/30 10sp crankset
    Xt dual control hydraulic brake/shifter combo, modified to fit drop bars
    XT post mount front caliper, XTR IS mount rear caliper with 140 mm rotor
    XTR M960 rapid rise rear deraileur, 9sp, 11/32 XT cassette
    Spot carbon fork
    Ragley Luxy bar

I originally built the bike with BB7's and SRAM Rival Brifters, but didn't like the feel of the cable brake calipers. Love the hydraulic brakes, and I've always been a fan of the dual control shifters. I guess that my mountain biking background is showing on this build.

I may be way off base on this, but I love the Michelin tires. They are listed as 35c, but measure closer to 40. They're high volume, fast rolling, and work well running tubeless.

The Luxy bar is too wide for my tastes, even after trimming the ends. I'm thinking of cutting the bar right in the center, trimming both sides, and machining a plug, to bond it back together.

Great thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-image.jpg  

Vaya Builds-image.jpg  

Vaya Builds-image.jpg  

Vaya Builds-image.jpg  

Vaya Builds-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice build daytonadogie. Are the aircraft style SHCS's a thing? Do you need to redo the windings when you align your calipers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The XTR calipers came with SHCSs that were pre drilled for the safety wiring. I drilled the holes for the XT fasteners. Yes, I do have to cut the wires to adjust the caliper alignment. Not a big deal if you have a pair of safety wire pliers.

Spooooon!
    What's the function of the safety wiring?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It insures that the fasteners don't loosen up. It is used in aircraft and race cars. To be honest with you, I did it mainly for aesthetics. I have a racing background and had the wire and pliers, and the twisted wire has a cool look to it if done properly.

I've gotten some great ideas off of this thread while planning this build. Thanks to all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What tires do you have on there and how are they when it is wet muddy and slippery?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Michelin pilots are listed on the build list. I use them primarily for Tarmac and hard pack dirt. They are great on wet pavement, but I'm sure there are better tires for mud. I initially got them because of price, but couldn't believe how fast they rolled. Don't have much experience with other tires though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I love the carbon fork and consider getting one for my steel vaya. However they are hard to source around here (Germany), so I'd probably would have to import one myself.

How do you like yours? Does it take fenders?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonadogie View Post
    It insures that the fasteners don't loosen up. It is used in aircraft and race cars. To be honest with you, I did it mainly for aesthetics. I have a racing background and had the wire and pliers, and the twisted wire has a cool look to it if done properly.

I've gotten some great ideas off of this thread while planning this build. Thanks to all.
    You did a stunning job on the windings and on the build. Je suis jaloux.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Would any of you Vaya owners know the weight difference between it and the Fargo? I'm 'needing' something other than my full-suspension Stumpjumper for gravel road rides, and I'm wondering if the Vaya wouldn't suffice for that. Admittedly, there could be some trail use...but 80% gravel roads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Vaya framest I want to list for sale, but I am not sure where to list it on MTBR or should I list it on Road Bike Review? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    Would any of you Vaya owners know the weight difference between it and the Fargo? I'm 'needing' something other than my full-suspension Stumpjumper for gravel road rides, and I'm wondering if the Vaya wouldn't suffice for that. Admittedly, there could be some trail use...but 80% gravel roads.
    Information I gathered a while ago was: Vaya frame (57) 2208g, Vaya fork 1010g, Vaya total 3218g, Fargo frame (L) 2468g, Fargo fork 1158, Fargo total 3626. Difference = 408g or just under 1 lb. I also gather that the Fargo rides a lot stiffer than the Vaya, all other things being equal - that could be good or bad, depending.

The Vaya is great for gravel roads - that's what I use mine for about 50% of the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thank you for that info, SAWS.

Lunatic
    I finished my Vaya today. My buddy has lovingly named it "The Mutt" so thats what I'm going with.

If everything goes to plan, it will see a week long section of the divide this summer. Some of the components may seem strange but everything has a reason and I'm very happy with how everything works together.

Rolling on:
    Kenda Small Block Eight's 700x32
    Stans ZTR Arch 29ers
    Sram X9 hubs
    DT Swiss

Bakes:
    BB7's
    Jagwire Ripcord
    Avid Speedial 7 mountain levers (modified)

Drive line:
    Deore XT 771 mountain touring crankset (from Europe) 48-36-26
    Deore XT 771 9 speed front derailleur
    SLX 10 speed chain
    2013 SLX cassette 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-23-36
    2013 SLX rear derailleur
    2013 SLX mountain shifters (modified)

WTB mountain Drop Bars
    Specialized unknown model uber adjustable stem
    WTB Speed V
    Bontrager SSR seat post
    Black Label platform pedals
    SMASH

Lunatic
    Double tap
    Last edited by Wolfcri; 03-07-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Dt
    SMASH

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice looking Vaya! Is that a Brooks saddle or stock?

Did I catch a niner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...3&d=1359929810
    What tires are these? They look like Vittorias?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast