Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks a lot

the fd is a low clamp, bottom pull type?

Harmonius Wrench

Carbon Fork?

Has anyone lightened up there Vaya build using a carbon disc compatible fork? Curious and would like to hear any comments out there on doing this......

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Has anyone lightened up there Vaya build using a carbon disc compatible fork? Curious and would like to hear any comments out there on doing this......
    I've used a Winwood Muddy Cross and a Whisky fork. The Whisky is lighter and better at dampening vibration. Both were significantly lighter than steel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I used a bontrager satalite fork on my ti vaya.

Harmonius Wrench
    Thanks for those two replies. By the way, lawfarm- your link isn't loading for me. Is that pointing to Whiskey's site?

Do either of you see less tire clearance? Happy with the change from steel to carbon?

Ballstein Models
    I've put the Spot and the Trigon on for grins. Both are two different degrees of lighter. Both have decent handling. They both introduce a hair of toe overlap on my 57cm frame and my size 46 Sidi's. I know longer plan on using the Trigon as the lack of fender mounts is incongruent with how I use the bike. Spot is still installed.

Both had plenty of clearance. The spot less but I'm running 40's with wood fenders and have navigated some thick sticky mud successfully.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

trainer
    Nov 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Carver Carbon Fork

Santa brought me a Carver carbon fork for my Vaya. I only have a couple of hundred miles on it, mostly on gravel. Initial impressions are quite promising. It is much lighter than the stock fork. It brought the weight of the complete bike down to 24.7 lbs with pedals and 3 cages! The fork seems to absorb shock a bit better than the stock fork but my first few rides haven't been long enough to tell if it is a significant difference. The main difference is the handling. It is much "quicker" due to the geometry. It handles more like a cross bike. It has introduced a bit of toe overlap with my size 47 shoes, (58cm frame) but that has not been an issue for me so far. Tire clearance is good but not quite as spacious as the stock fork. I have 2 sets of tires/wheels that I run. 700X40 Marathon Mondials have tons of clearance. My favorites, (Spec Renegade control 29 X 1.8's) fit however if I get into muddy conditions it could be an issue as the clearance is only a couple of mm per side. I will be riding the DK200 this year and haven't made a decision yet on tires. Off topic a bit...Hey Ted, I just ordered a set of Retroshifters for the Vaya to replace my Shimano Brifters. I read your review of them and can't wait to get them installed! Hope this info helps.

trainer
    Nov 2010
    OOPs, I didn't intend to put the caution sign on the post! Fat fingers!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do either of you see less tire clearance? Happy with the change from steel to carbon?[/QUOTE]

I am running a 38 tire so the clearance has not been a issue.

I have been really happy with the change to carbon. I used my Vaya for CX last season and the ride qualities of carbon was a upgrade (along with the decrease in weight). I have been riding gravel on it this winter and it rides nice. Not sure if I can tell the difference on the gravel or not.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by podrunner View Post
    Santa brought me a Carver carbon fork for my Vaya. I only have a couple of hundred miles on it, mostly on gravel. Initial impressions are quite promising. It is much lighter than the stock fork. It brought the weight of the complete bike down to 24.7 lbs with pedals and 3 cages! The fork seems to absorb shock a bit better than the stock fork but my first few rides haven't been long enough to tell if it is a significant difference. The main difference is the handling. It is much "quicker" due to the geometry. It handles more like a cross bike. It has introduced a bit of toe overlap with my size 47 shoes, (58cm frame) but that has not been an issue for me so far. Tire clearance is good but not quite as spacious as the stock fork. I have 2 sets of tires/wheels that I run. 700X40 Marathon Mondials have tons of clearance. My favorites, (Spec Renegade control 29 X 1.8's) fit however if I get into muddy conditions it could be an issue as the clearance is only a couple of mm per side. I will be riding the DK200 this year and haven't made a decision yet on tires. Off topic a bit...Hey Ted, I just ordered a set of Retroshifters for the Vaya to replace my Shimano Brifters. I read your review of them and can't wait to get them installed! Hope this info helps.
    First off, thanks to all for your replies. It's much appreciated. I suppose a bit of an explanation is in order....

As some of you may have already guessed, I have a Vaya coming, (older orange frame/fork with a pedigree. ), and was looking for some intel on the option of dumping some weight and going with a carbon fork.

I'd rather have a lively steel disc fork, but those are rare and generally heavy.

The handling points made here are also of some concern to me.

Retroshifters: I still use them gladly. In general, garden variety riding, they aren't that big of a deal, but when conditions get to a point that an STI shifter or SRAM shifter suffers degradation, (extreme dust, rain, mud), the Retroshifters hardly bat an eyelash. Besides- SRAM brifters have a record of falling apart during extensive gravel pounding, which is all my two bikes receive. This Vaya will be getting a set of them as well.

Again- thanks all for the considered replies. I'll chime in with my build and what not later.....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for those two replies. By the way, lawfarm- your link isn't loading for me. Is that pointing to Whiskey's site?

Do either of you see less tire clearance? Happy with the change from steel to carbon?
    Lets try that link again...

I'm very happy with the change. I've run up to 40c tires with both forks. The Whisky has a bit more clearance than the Winwood. Tires that will fit in the rear of the Vaya will not fit in the Winwood.

The Winwood is also a bit stiffer...I've seen people use it on Tandems. It's pretty beefy. The Whisky has a noticeably better ride on choppy gravel.

Separate from the weight savings, the great ride quality of the Whisky fork makes it a worthy upgrade.

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I switched to a Spot fork last spring. Quite a bit lighter than stock, with a slightly shorter a-c. I have a little toe overlap, but I had that with the stock fork too.
    I went from having easy clearance for a 29x1.95" tire to being tight on a 29x1.75", with enough clearance on 700x40-43mm for me to be happy.
    What sold me on the fork is its vibration dampening. I noticed right away that the really bad washboards we get around here on dirt roads were far less noticeable, and my tire tended to stay planted on the intended line without the teeth-rattling bouncing I would see with the stock steel fork. This fork and a "fat" rear tire are enough to get me through the harshest roads I can find in the Flint Hills.

Harmonius Wrench
    @lawfarm: Yes- that worked. The last few paragraphs were what I was looking for from someone.

@xhx: The Spot fork sounds interesting, but it and the Whiskey fork are close enough on specs to be a wash.

In either instance I would be using a +5 King base plate to kick the head angle off 72. I also have a carbon legged 26"er mtb fork with 20mm longer axle to crown and 44mm offset I may stick on there just to see what that does to handling. For that matter, I have another short steel disc fork with slightly curved blades and 51mm offset.

Experiment time!

Of course, all bets are off if the steer tubes are too short. I do not have the frame in hand yet, so everything will happen next week or later.

Again- thanks all. I will be back with a report....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I haven't seen too many of these out there yet, so i thought I would post the one I just built up for the shop I work at. (So yes- this is from my workplace. There's your disclaimer )
    Te red is a beautiful color. I wish it had the 10 speed group.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

... and if we just ...

Got a Spot fork for my Vaya Ti. Live just outside of Golden, CO, so I was able to go right to the company to pick it up. Nice forks, nice folks too. Thanks to all for the insight on the carbon forks. Will post some pics when I get some spare time.

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cool! I checked out the Whisky fork too, but the Spot's 400mm a-c v. the Whisky's 396 got me closer to the Vaya's stock 405mm. I do have a 5mm King base plate, just never got around to trying it... if you try it in your experiment with good results I might have to pull it out of the parts bin

Spooooon!
    I was thinking about going carbon on my Vaya as well, but I'm really leaning toward a springy custom steel fork (Waltworks or Potts) . . . will report back if I have something worth noting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just went out today for a nice brisk windy 16 degree ride. Got some shots of the new Vaya in ruby red. Haven't seen too many of these yet...

Who says Ohio doesn't have hills?

Best bike I've ever owned

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Good job!

Brrrrrrrrrr!

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    Just went out today for a nice brisk windy 16 degree ride. Got some shots of the new Vaya in ruby red. Haven't seen too many of these yet...

Who says Ohio doesn't have hills?

Best bike I've ever owned

That's a beautiful machine. I'm curious about the color. It looks different in every picture I've seen. Is it more red or burgundy?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ice807 View Post
    That's a beautiful machine. I'm curious about the color. It looks different in every picture I've seen. Is it more red or burgundy?
    It is a deep, rich red. Not quite "candy apple", but dang close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yup GT is about right. It has metallic flake in it. Those pictures don't do it justice. Really pops in the sun. It was a tough choice as I liked the vanilla with blue color too but this year the Vaya 3 came with BB7 and shimano sora triple with barends. Basically, everything I was looking for so it was an easy choice. I am quite impressed with the quality of sora as well. very similiar quality to the old 105. Could not be happier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interested to see your build Guitar Ted...love seeing all the different builds. Have been wanting to build a Vaya for some time now as a gravel/long distance cx/all road/whatever you want to call it bike, however this has recently taken my fancy
    whyte bikes saxon cross
    would be interested to hear opinions and experience of this bike for such applications

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by love View Post
    Interested to see your build Guitar Ted...love seeing all the different builds.
    Well, here it is, bare frame and fork for now. An older model that was ridden to two Trans Iowa finishes and several other gravel road race finishes as well. She's a bit battle worn, but still a good little beast.

The build is being sorted. A forum member is pitching in, (thanks!), and I only know that right now I'll be using my old Edge carbon wheel set, (now they are called Enve) Bar ends will be the shifting mode, but I haven't sorted whether or not I'm going the SRAM route or an older Shimano route.

Stay tuned....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-p1050934.jpg  

Vaya Builds-p1050935.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    tuned in!

Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast