Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaya Builds

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    My new Salsa Vaya AIR

Build list:

Vaya frame (55) with S&S couplers installed & painted by daVinci Designs
    Cane Creek S-3 headset
    Wheelset: Bontrager Duster TLR rims (32 hole) laced to DT Swiss (Onyx rear, Stout front) hubs
    Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires
    Avid BB7 road calipers
    Alligator "Bulletproof" compression-less cable/housing set (Great cable set for BB7s!)
    Sram Rival Compact Crankset (34/50)
    Time ATAC Titan Carbon pedals (found for $90 - mislabeled?)
    Ultegra 10-speed shifters (like new on Craigslist for $125!)
    IRD 11-34 10-speed Cassette
    Wipperman 10s chain
    Salsa Bell Lap bars w/ Bonty stem (105 x 7deg)
    Cinelli gel bar tape
    Dura Ace front, XT rear derailleur
    Specialized carbon/zerts seatpost (from my Tarmac)
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Rack: Tubus Cargo (to be added)
    Bags: Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus (to be added)
    Fenders - probably SKS chromoplastics... 45s or 50s still to be determined...

weight w/ cages and no bags = 26.5 lbs.

EDIT: I just noticed that my cable adjusters on the downtube are upside down
    That's fixed...

S
    Wow... Good job man. You did that one up right! Those S&S couplers are the perfect addition to the Vaya. I bet you're loving that bike...

mtbr member
    I'm currently in The Netherlands touring on it! It is AMAZING!
    Thanks
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    Bought a full build from MWC in Lincoln today! Very excited to hit the trails with it next week after I move tomorrow.
    Congratulations!! That's awesome. I have a feeling those guys down at MWC are gonna' sell a few Vayas this season...

Enjoy the new ride. I'm sure I'll see ya' on the road.

Cheers,
    MG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Congratulations!! That's awesome. I have a feeling those guys down at MWC are gonna' sell a few Vayas this season...

Enjoy the new ride. I'm sure I'll see ya' on the road.

Cheers,
    MG
    Well, they only have a 60 left in stock and I believe it was Nate that mentioned that Vayas are back ordered until the end of the summer so it may be a while before they move a few new ones. Not sure if that was the case for both the frameset and complete build or just the build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There is a boat on it's way with Vayas for QBP. ETA stateside is May 31. God willing, my LBS can get an order in once QBP has them in stock and then hopefully I'll have mine not much sooner after...

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    Well, they only have a 60 left in stock and I believe it was Nate that mentioned that Vayas are back ordered until the end of the summer so it may be a while before they move a few new ones. Not sure if that was the case for both the frameset and complete build or just the build.
    Yeah, hopefully he has been ordering heavy on them... :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi,

I just ordered a Vaya frame-set for my future commuter and now I'm thinking about the other parts to complete the bike.

"Of course" I would like to use the Avid BB7 disc brakes.
    Because I did not found any specifications for this on the Salsa website, I would like to ask if it is possible to use a 185mm disc on the front wheel or if the fork is suitable for 160mm discs only.

Thanks in advance for your advice
    Regards

Gerd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeOppa
    Hi,

I just ordered a Vaya frame-set for my future commuter and now I'm thinking about the other parts to complete the bike.

"Of course" I would like to use the Avid BB7 disc brakes.
    Because I did not found any specifications for this on the Salsa website, I would like to ask if it is possible to use a 185mm disc on the front wheel or if the fork is suitable for 160mm discs only.

Thanks in advance for your advice
    Regards

Gerd
    I'd imagine 185 would work with the right adapter - however, the 160 is plenty break even for big riders (I'm 250 lbs).

When I test rode mine before I bought it I commented to one of the guys at my LBS on how there was a good amount of fork shudder when heavy braking with the front. His response to my comment was "That's a lot of brake for that fork". IMO the BB7 160 is almost overkill already and there is probably no need for a 185.

Went out for a quick ride this morning - love the bike. Will probably get a different seatpost since the stock kalloy is radiused and has no angle adjustment and I would like to tip the saddle just a tad fwd.

Here it is in it's natural habitat

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    murtaghstyle,

You're the first guy to post pics of a Vaya complete. As someone wanting a Vaya but debating whether to go with the stock build or custom build, can you tell us what you think of your bike in its stock configuration?

Specifically:

-How do the Tiagra brifters feel when used with the disc brakes? Overall shifting quality and gearing?
    - It looks like you upgraded to BB7s. Did you find the BB5s lacking?
    -Besides the seatpost, would you find it necessary to upgrade anything if what you want is a quality, dependable commuter?
    -do you find the stock wheelset and cranks firm or flexy?
    -Is the Formula rear hub in coasting mode silent, or does it make a nice buzz to let others know you're coming? (for me important)

I'm tempted to go with a custom build with SRAM Rival, but don't know if it's really worth the extra $$$., and can't try before I buy..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    murtaghstyle,

You're the first guy to post pics of a Vaya complete. As someone wanting a Vaya but debating whether to go with the stock build or custom build, can you tell us what you think of your bike in its stock configuration?

Specifically:

-How do the Tiagra brifters feel when used with the disc brakes? Overall shifting quality and gearing?
    - It looks like you upgraded to BB7s. Did you find the BB5s lacking?
    -Besides the seatpost, would you find it necessary to upgrade anything if what you want is a quality, dependable commuter?
    -do you find the stock wheelset and cranks firm or flexy?
    -Is the Formula rear hub in coasting mode silent, or does it make a nice buzz to let others know you're coming? (for me important)

I'm tempted to go with a custom build with SRAM Rival, but don't know if it's really worth the extra $$$., and can't try before I buy..
    Tiagra STI shifters exceeded my expectations - shifting is good. I suppose shifting in the back could be a bit better with an XT der that can be upgraded for relatively cheap. The drivetrain in general performs quite well. If I was building up a frame I would look at the SRAM Apex group (since I'm partial to SRAM to begin with) but I don't regret going with the complete build. I can stand a up and hammer with my 250lbs behind me and the bike feels nice and solid, No noticeable flex.

I used to have the mountain BB7s on my 29er MTB and the road ones feel a little different. No better or worse but you can tell the difference in the amount of cable pull. Just have to get used to that. I still have the BB5 on the vaya (not sure what made you think I upgraded to BB7s). The BB7s are quicker to adjust but other wise it's the same brake as the BB5. In fact some folks argue the BB5 (when set up correctly) is a better 'feeling' brake since it's more solid than the BB7 that has the second 'floating' adjustable pad. I believe mgersib is one of those so maybe he can share his experiences.All I've ever used are Mountain BB7s and Road BB5s so I don't think it would be a very accurate comparison from my POV.

Few parts are kinda heavy so if you wanted to drop some weight a new cassette and seatpost would be a good place to start. Regardless, the bike feels lighter than it's actual weight. I was able to pick up some good speed on the flats with it and with good acceleration.

I also felt a bit stretched out with the stock stem. I come form the MTB world so the riding position felt a bit more aggressive than I prefer. I'm a big guy so if I ride for a while in a very aggressive position I start to have lower back pains. I may go with a shorter stem and the poco bars next but that is personal preference on how you want the bike to fit for your style/body type/purpose.

Wheelset is one of the best I've ridden in a stock build bike. Formula hubs are quiet and Salsa hit the nail in the head with the rim and tire choice. You could go with a lighter touring tire if you wanted to shed some weight (conti top contact would be a good choice if you can find them at a good price) or a schwalbe marathon.

I'll have to play with the seatpost a little bit, there may be some felxibility. Had to run out today after my ride so I didn't have enough time to tinker with it. At first sight though, it doesn't seem to have a lot of adjustability.

IMO - all you need out of the box is your pedal of choice, rack, and fenders for a solid commuter. It's a great complete build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    murtaghstyle,

Thanks for taking the time posting about your bike. I especially took note on your comments regarding the more aggressive riding position. I've felt the same way on the bikes I've been able to test ride, and I don't think they were set up too racy, either. Ultimately, this will probably be the deciding factor for me on what my commuter bike will be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    murtaghstyle,

Thanks for taking the time posting about your bike. I especially took note on your comments regarding the more aggressive riding position. I've felt the same way on the bikes I've been able to test ride, and I don't think they were set up too racy, either. Ultimately, this will probably be the deciding factor for me on what my commuter bike will be.
    I think either a shorter or steeper stem is all you need for a more upright position. The headtube is already tall enough so a small tweak is probably sufficient. Again, I'm not a roadie by nature so it may be just fine for you with the stock set up. I'll make sure to report back after I tinker with it. I'll tell you that the feel of the bike in it's curent set up is perfect to stand up and hammer. I usually dread that on my MTB but I hammered for a good 5-6 miles non stop and felt awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    @ murtaghstyle

Thanks for your info about the brakes. As I am almost 200 lbs I rather tend to technical overkill solutions (Better safe than sorry!).
    It's good to hear that the 160mm disc is "sufficient" enough.

Regards
    Gerd

mtbr member
    Anyone else have a stock build?

I just hit about 50mi or so on mine and I started to hear some creaking sounds coming from the BB area when I stand and hammer. Probably it has something to do with my size/weight but I'm not sure if it's the BB and cranks that can't handle my weight or if it's coming from the frame.

Suggestions on what could be causing it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Here's My Build

I've got almost 500 miles on mine and it is a very, very nice bike. My main use is gravel and pavement. Also thought I'd share a pic from yesterday's sunrise and part of my 120 mile gravel and pavement Vaya adventure.

Key Components:

Salsa Woodchipper Bars - I love these and now have them on all 4 of my drop bar bikes.

Seatpost - Eriksen Ti - Oh yeah!

Group - SRAM Rival 10 spd with D-Ace 12-27 Cassette and a FSA Cross 36-46 cross crank

Wheels: DT-Swiss 240s with Edge Composite 29er rims. I'm using Conti 42c Cyclocross Speed tires.

Bags: Epic Designs

Jason, aka Gnat
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya_mtbr.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya_mtbr_sunrise.jpg  

My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mine's been done for 2 hrs! Pictures tomorrow

56cm frame
    hope pro II/stans crest tubeless or dt 240/ambrosio crono tubulars
    ultegra 10 speed STI
    ultegra front derailleur
    xtr rear derailleur
    fsa carbon compact double
    11-34 ird cassette
    x10sl kmc chain
    cane creek s8 headset
    thomson elite post
    slr titanium saddle
    truvative stem
    woodchippers

Like it so far (in neighborhood), plan to ride to Madison this weekend, Dirty Kanza next week, and trans wisconsin is soon too, so we will be getting real acquainted quick.

I'll be honest that some of the weights that others have posted are making me kind of nervous... might be better if I just don't weigh mine! I'm going to be sad if it weighs more than my mountain bike- but obviously the overall weight doesn't matter much since I'll be adding somewhere between 10 and 50 lbs to it for most rides anyways and a lighter frame probably wouldn't allow that. That said, the bike it's sort of "replacing" was under 20 lbs.
    Last edited by 2silent; 05-28-2010 at 09:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    here are pictures- see my blog for a write-up of my first ride with many more pictures etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-1.jpg  

Vaya Builds-2.jpg  

Vaya Builds-3.jpg  

Vaya Builds-4.jpg  

Last edited by 2silent; 05-31-2010 at 11:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    Mine's been done for 2 hrs! Pictures tomorrow

56cm frame
    hope pro II/stans crest tubeless or dt 240/ambrosio crono tubulars
    ultegra 10 speed STI
    ultegra front derailleur
    xtr rear derailleur
    fsa carbon compact double
    11-34 ird cassette
    x10sl kmc chain
    cane creek s8 headset
    thomson elite post
    slr titanium saddle
    truvative stem
    woodchippers

Like it so far (in neighborhood), plan to ride to Madison this weekend, Dirty Kanza next week, and trans wisconsin is soon too, so we will be getting real acquainted quick.

I'll be honest that some of the weights that others have posted are making me kind of nervous... might be better if I just don't weigh mine! I'm going to be sad if it weighs more than my mountain bike- but obviously the overall weight doesn't matter much since I'll be adding somewhere between 10 and 50 lbs to it for most rides anyways and a lighter frame probably wouldn't allow that. That said, the bike it's sort of "replacing" was under 20 lbs.

Mines probably one of the lighter vaya builds at 24.98lbs for a 58.5
    For me it replaced a 19lb IF crown jewel. The salsa is definitely heavier but the lower gearing, stable geometry, and far more comfortable riding position more than make up for the extra pounds.
    Granted I could spend more money and drop maybe 1 lb off my bike but lets face it 24.9 vs 23.9 ain't gonna make that much of a difference. The weight seems to be in the frame and fork and the brakes. (The steerer tube is 20g/inch and I still have most of it.).
    What the vaya world needs now is road levered xtr hydros. That would help a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have xtr brakes on my Mamasita- agree they are awesome

Can't imagine what Shimano would want for those.

I may get the guts up to weigh it today- my ride this weekend went so well I'm pretty sure I don't care anymore if it's scary heavy. I did blog about my first ride experience.

edit- can't say much about the accuracy of my scale, but I think I'm in the 23 lb range +/- half a lb. It is the same weight almost exactly as my mamasita with front suspension fork.
    Last edited by 2silent; 06-01-2010 at 12:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Been checking out the Vaya's for a while, seems to be everything I want right now. Looking at ordering a 56. Hadn't seen much about toe overlap so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has had any? Some people say it shouldn't be an issue or that it doesn't matter, but I prefer not to have it at all. I'll be running 172.5mm cranks, 10-10.5 shoes w/ 35mm SB8s (but would always like the option of going to the largest tires possible). Any input?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have none with a 45c tire up front and 175mm cranks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    I have none with a 45c tire up front and 175mm cranks
    On a 56?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borison
    Been checking out the Vaya's for a while, seems to be everything I want right now. Looking at ordering a 56. Hadn't seen much about toe overlap so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has had any? Some people say it shouldn't be an issue or that it doesn't matter, but I prefer not to have it at all. I'll be running 172.5mm cranks, 10-10.5 shoes w/ 35mm SB8s (but would always like the option of going to the largest tires possible). Any input?
    I have a size 55 frame, running Conti Top Contacts 700x47 and wear a size 11 shoe. Occasionally the very tip of my shoes will brush the front tire but nothing bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yes, I have a 56

mtbr member

...Just the fenders

Quote Originally Posted by Borison
    I've got a size 55 with Schwalbe Marathon Cross 700x40 tires and I clip the fenders with size 10 shoes... I haven't noticed anything without fenders - but I haven't ridden it with fenders in a while... It is currently still in the box from my trip so when I re-build it I'll see.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast