Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 2319

Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Why? original BB wore out
    Square taper - yes
    Fewer threads? ya I guess but the BB manufacturer(SKS) spec'd it this way for a 68 so I am not worried.
    Q Factor? is more a function of spindle length - so going with a slightly different spindle length the Q factor change was negligible. Original was 118mm spindle and I went with 113mm, should have gone 116mm though and would have had zero change. But as it is I am having no issues and have ridden many miles on the new one.

Vagabond
    I checked it and it looks like 1st gen Fargo and Vaya Travel both have 68 BB, so no issues there
    Dream It! Plan It! Do It!
    Vagabonding...

Vagabond
    Quote Originally Posted by barnold2337 View Post
    Mine is for sale above if you are interested?
    Yeah, I saw it. Thanks

The size fits, too: 57. Nice. But I'm really looking for a frame only. Plus, I really want alternator dropouts and S&S couplers. Will wait a month, or so, to see how Salsa updates their Vayas for 2014 and then decide... Thx again.
    Dream It! Plan It! Do It!
    Vagabonding...

Ride Everything
    Just posted my review of the Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road tires:

First Impressions: Bruce Gordon Rock ?n Road Tires | GRAVELBIKE.com
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

His & Hers Vayas

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread, it's been a real help.

My wife and I had new Vayas built up recently. We moved to the Southwest part of Finland and needed some winter-isable bikes with good tyre clearance, disc brakes etc.

The shop had the old charcoal colour frame in my size so I went with that (I prefer it to the white/blue anyhow). The charcoal is a 57cm (I'm just under 6'2" tall but with long legs - 36" inseam). The white/blue is a 52cm for my wife (5'4").

These were built for kid-transporting/trailer-hauling/commuting/shopping/touring and possibly some sportives and short adventure races. I tried to keep the weight reasonable - the bikes won't be loaded up for back-country round-the-world tours or anything like that. Before adding mudguards, racks etc the weights were about 11.9 and 11.4kg (26.2/25lb)

The photos are from a 25-mile shakedown ride in advance of a 9 day tour around the Turku archipelago in Finland in a week's time. That'll be us and our 6, 4 and 1 year old kids. Staying in B&B's so no camping load to bring. There're a few bits to add to what's in the photos (rack for the white bike, a rear child seat for when the baby gets bored of the trailer). We won't be rushing - 25-30 miles per day, and a few days off to explore in between.

Build details:
    Gearing - SRAM Rival shifters with a mix of SRAM X5 and X7 drivetrain. 42-28 for me, 39-26 for my wife. 11-36 cassettes so we've got a good range.
    Wheels - DK Swiss rims and spokes on 32h Hope Pro II hubs. We partly went for the Hope hubs for the matching colours, but also to lighten the wheelset a bit. I think they'll be strong enough for what we'll be doing.
    Stem, seatpost, bartape etc - all basic Salsa parts. Thanks to djw for the tan sidewalls/brown bartape idea (Page 35 Post 868 here). I think it looks great. Tyres are Panaracer Pasela 35mm and 1.5".
    Handlebars - Cowbell 3's (44cm and 38cm). These are nice bars. The drops are very usable and the flare feels good.

The kids' bikes are Islabikes Beinn 20 small, and a Cnoc 14 in the back of the trailer. Great little bikes. I fitted MKS removable pedals so they're easier to stash in the trailer if needed.
    The trailer is a second-hand Burley D'Lite which we picked up cheap - our best €200 bike-related purchase ever.
    Both kids bikes have a fitting for the Trail-Gator towbar so we can change things around depending on tiredness. The kids can go off by themselves when the terrain is suitable too. There are loads of separate bike paths in this part of Finland so it's safe.
    The Trail-Gator has worked ok for us, but I've ordered a FollowMe tagalong to replace it. All connections have to be kept very tight with the TrailGator, otherwise it tends to slip to one side. The follow-me is expensive, but it looks like a better design to me, and we'll get a good few years' use out of it.

My only niggle has been the paint on the white one - the top tube got chipped and scratched very easily, and Salsa don't do touch-up paint. Not a big deal for a "working" bike, but it would be nice to be able to fix it without going to a car painter to mix up a batch of paint for me (as per the advice on Salsa's website).

Oh and I checked the fork recall number - mine isn't one of those, luckily.

Overall, we're very happy with the Vayas. Solid, stable, but still plenty of life if you want them to go quickly.

Vaya Builds-wp_20130713_013e2.jpgVaya Builds-wp_20130713_010e2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would love a winter report in 6 to 8 months! Great family fun in the pictures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My Vaya Revisted While in Montana

So I rebuilt a 55cm frame for touring. Took off most of the SRAM components save the brifters. They are super comfortable for me. Recently I was in Montana to play music with a friends band there and did a side trip to Glacier National Park. I really wanted to ride the Going-To-The-Sun road. I had limited time and took the shuttle bus (had bike rack) up to Logan Pass, did a hike to Lost Lake then rode 24 miles back down to my camp site at Sprague Creek Campground. The ride down was a blast with average top speed being 32.6 mph. I passed two cars that where going slower than my Vaya wanted to go. If you have not been on this iconic road, it is very serpentine with spectacular vistas. 8 miles from the campground there is about 2 miles of construction on the road, all compacted gravel with minor potholes. The Vaya handled it all perfectly!!
    Next up, several days later I rode the Route-of-the-Hiawatha Rail Trail. Near the border of Montana and Idaho, the 16 mile Rail Trail is a all gravel but wends it way thru beautiful mountains and hills. There are a number of very dark tunnels to ride thru and several trestles to traverse, a few of which are several hundred feet above valley floors. With the Vaya I now wish I had fatter tires on that day to help absorb the shocks and vibrations from the gravel rail bed. Attached are pictures of my Vaya which I really enjoy riding.
    I also want to share how I mounted the front rack to the fork. I have the Tubus Tara rack and found that when it was mounted to the front eyelets of the fork, I had to remove the skewer to remove the wheel. A pain. So I took off the two horizontal braces of the rack, flipped them upside down and swapped which side they are on. I mounted the rack to the back eyelets with 1/2" spacers as shown in the pics. You can also see how the horizontal bars for the rack are now mounted. Works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya-6.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-1.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-2.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-3.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-4.jpg  

Vaya Builds-vaya-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTurku View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130713_013E2.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	816159
    Is that a tag along beam connected to a bicycle? How does that work? Does it lock the front wheel so it stays straight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi

A lot of changes from last pic I post here. I love this bike. Here with smart sam, very fun with this tires.

Vaya Builds-peque04.jpg

Vaya Builds-peque05.jpg

Vaya Builds-peque07.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Vanilla Vaya 3

Just picked up a new Vaya 3 over the weekend from my LBS. Its a 58cm white frame but built up with the Vaya 3 build kit. I got some extras added in as well...shimano bar end shifters, carbon seatpost, Clement MSO tires, wanderlust rack.
    I had just sold off my crosscheck a few weeks ago and replaced it with the Vaya. So far Im happy with the Vaya, especially offroad. Surprisingly it handles light singletrack pretty well, even when climbing. I did notice the BB is a little low but I guess thats the tradeoff to having a do it all bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-1074234_10201052742097316_599894263_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2014 Vaya 2

Sneak peak at the 2014 Vaya 2.

Vaya Builds-vaya_2014.jpg
    Last edited by cosprings; 07-24-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for posting. The 2013 Vaya 2's specs are 95% how I would build one. It looks like Salsa using Shimano next year. Any pics of the Vaya 3?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I haven't seen the Vaya 3 yet. I'm in Park City for the week (SaddleDrive and DealerCamp), so I'm sure I'll see one riding around/will post a photo when I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    Well crap.. How am I suppose to get home tonight???
    Ive been riding my Vaya 3 since last September (~2200 miles) and just found out yesterday I was in the recall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Full 2014 Vaya Lineup

Here's the full 2014 Vaya lineup.

Vaya Builds-vaya_2013.jpg

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Cool, thanks again for posting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
    Just picked up a new Vaya 3 over the weekend from my LBS. Its a 58cm white frame but built up with the Vaya 3 build kit. I got some extras added in as well...shimano bar end shifters, carbon seatpost, Clement MSO tires, wanderlust rack.
    I had just sold off my crosscheck a few weeks ago and replaced it with the Vaya. So far Im happy with the Vaya, especially offroad. Surprisingly it handles light singletrack pretty well, even when climbing. I did notice the BB is a little low but I guess thats the tradeoff to having a do it all bike.

I have the 2011 Vaya 3, and I was surprised also as to how snappy it is on the single track. I've only had it in the woods once, but it did a nice job. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey everyone,

So it looks like I have a 2014 Vaya frameset coming my way very soon. I had wanted to get a 2013 Vaya 2 complete bike but Salsa didn't have any more and my contact, whom supplies forks to them on a few bikes, asked if I was interested in a deal on a 2014 Vaya frameset. I don't know which color or anything as of yet, I suppose I don't care all that much, but anyways...on to the question.

This is my first time building up a bike from frameset. I am figuring everything out fairly well but I am having trouble with deciding on a rims.

Backstory:

I'm anywhere from 250-260 lbs currently. I plan to commute 24 miles 3-4x per week on mostly paved surfaces with about a mile stretch of crushed granite bike path as well as a little bit of packed dirt. I'd like to run up to a 37c tire. After reading about the Velocity Deep V's in a 36h, I was set until I saw that a 37c tire is likely not possible with that rim. Does anyone have any other stout wheel recommendations that will handle my weight okay? Am I overdoing it thinking I need a 36h rim? Does it really matter if a rim is disc specific or not or is it just wither or not it is machined for brakes or not?

Many thanks,

Evan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Evan,

Have a look at the Mavic TN719. they come in 36 hole. as for overdoing it... well I guess they question is will you stay that weight forever? not sure if you are 6ft6 or 4ft0. I am 210 lbs and have been happy with 32h. I was also 250ish for a long time and equally happy on 32h. If you have a quality wheel built for you it shouldn't really matter with the riding you are doing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT_66 View Post
    Hey everyone,

So it looks like I have a 2014 Vaya frameset coming my way very soon. I had wanted to get a 2013 Vaya 2 complete bike but Salsa didn't have any more and my contact, whom supplies forks to them on a few bikes, asked if I was interested in a deal on a 2014 Vaya frameset. I don't know which color or anything as of yet, I suppose I don't care all that much, but anyways...on to the question.

This is my first time building up a bike from frameset. I am figuring everything out fairly well but I am having trouble with deciding on a rims.

Backstory:

I'm anywhere from 250-260 lbs currently. I plan to commute 24 miles 3-4x per week on mostly paved surfaces with about a mile stretch of crushed granite bike path as well as a little bit of packed dirt. I'd like to run up to a 37c tire. After reading about the Velocity Deep V's in a 36h, I was set until I saw that a 37c tire is likely not possible with that rim. Does anyone have any other stout wheel recommendations that will handle my weight okay? Am I overdoing it thinking I need a 36h rim? Does it really matter if a rim is disc specific or not or is it just wither or not it is machined for brakes or not?

Many thanks,

Evan
    I am heavier than you. I run mavic tn317 rims on shimano hubs 36h f/r the rear has been rock solid but the front broke a spoke right in the middle (db spokes) but when I looked at the spokes they had some rust scaling on them ( I think that is why it broke or wheelbuilder-me issues). I am working on relacing the wheel now and am using a stans arch wheel for the time being.

You do not need a disc specific rim. 36h in the rear would be a good choice. 32h for the front would be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ice807 View Post
    It looks like Salsa using Shimano next year.
    I don't see that as a bad thing...

I took all the Apex crap off mine, and went 105. Soooooo much smoother. I'm a LOT happier with the bike now. Really thinkin carbon fork next, but I'll wait for the off-season to do that.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

So, on the TN719, I shouldn't have any problem running a 32c Gatorskin on it?

Edit: Actually, I should probably look for something in a 37/38 for the type of riding I'll need to cover. Regardless, Could I put a 32c on the T719?

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I don't see that as a bad thing...

I took all the Apex crap off mine, and went 105. Soooooo much smoother. I'm a LOT happier with the bike now. Really thinkin carbon fork next, but I'll wait for the off-season to do that.
    I have over thousand miles on the stock 105 on my Portland. It has served me well. I simply prefer Sram.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsnack View Post
    Is that a tag along beam connected to a bicycle? How does that work? Does it lock the front wheel so it stays straight?
    Hey. Sorry for the delay, I was unable to reply using my phone. The tag along thing in the pictures is one of these:
    Trail-Gator Child Bike Tow Bar

The kid's bike is supported at the head-tube only, but there is an additional strut which stops the handlebars from turning.
    It works well for short trips, but the connection at the front of the kid's bike has a small amount of play. It's a sloppy stamped-metal wedge connection which is secured with a quick release. There's no way to get rid of the wobble, which I think will worsen over time as things wear.

We didn't want to get stuck 150km away with no backup so for our longer trip 2 weeks ago we replaced it with one of these:
    Family Cycling - FollowMe

It's a far more solid design, and I can see it lasting a long time. However it's not so easy to switch between 2 bikes (small spanner and 5 minutes work needed, compared to a single QR for the Trail-Gator). Also, it's heavier, and the connection is so solid that every bump and wobble is felt through to the adult's bike. It has a hinge which allows the kids bike to act like an articulated trailer which is fine on the road, but maneouvring at low speeds or trying to turn the thing around is hard. The hinge means you cannot lean the adult's bike, and bend the hinge sharply at the same time. You have to lift the adult's bike to do that, which can be a pain if you have a couple of panniers, and the weight of the Follow-Me etc. In contrast, the Trail-Gator is easier because it can jackknife at the seatpost connection and can be turned on the spot.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Getting all the parts together to build up my Vaya. Here is the list as of now:

Frameset: 2014 Vaya (Unsure of Which Color will Show Up, Though)
    Headset: Chris King Threadless 1 1/8"
    Bars: Salsa Cowbell 2 - 44cm
    Stem: Thomson 100mm
    Saddle: TBD
    Seatpost: Salsa ProMoto 2
    Seatclamp: Salsa Flip-Lock
    Crankset: Shimano 105 Compact Double 53/39
    Bottom Bracket: TBD (Recommendations?)
    Pedals: TBD
    Front Mech: Shimano 105 FD-5700
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT
    Brifters: Shimano 105 10-Speed/Double
    Chain: Shimano XT 10-Speed
    Cassette: Shimano XT M771 10-Speed
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Mechanical Road
    Rims: Velocity Dyad 700c, 36h, NMSW
    Spokes: DT Swiss Competition (Not sure what length I need)
    Front Hub: Shimano XT 36h
    Rear Hub: Shimano XT 36h
    Tires: Gatorskin 700x32

Only a couple of things I'm still unsure on.

1. Is there a kit from Jagwire that I can buy that will give me everything I need to get the bike up and running? I assume there is but I've never routed cables on a bike and am unsure of which kit(s) I'll need. Any insight?

2. Spokes. A couple of spoke calculators say that on the front I'll need 285mm for left and 285.9mm on the right. In the rear, they say 285.8 on the left and 284.9 on the right. Do I buy all 285mm spokes? Do I buy half 285 and the other half 286mm? Should I just leave this up to the wheel builder?

3. Bottom bracket. If Salsa says it's a 68, English...is that all there is to it? Is there also a compatibility with the crankset I need to keep in mind?

This is (obviously) my first build up from a frame. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ride Everything
    Crankset: Shimano 105 Compact Double 53/39 <--That's not a compact. A compact would come with 34/50 rings.

For cables, you want this: Universal Cycles -- Jagwire Road Pro XL "Racer" Road Cable/Housing Kit - Includes Brake & Derailleur Cable/Housing

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Crankset: Shimano 105 Compact Double 53/39 <--That's not a compact. A compact would come with 34/50 rings.

For cables, you want this: Universal Cycles -- Jagwire Road Pro XL "Racer" Road Cable/Housing Kit - Includes Brake & Derailleur Cable/Housing
    Oops! You're right. My spreadsheet has the 53/39 spec from an older website link. The one I have is, indeed, 50/34.

Thanks for the tip on the Jagwire. I'll get it ordered.

Ride Everything
    As far as the bottom brackets go, you can use Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, or Dura-Ace. The road Hollowtech II BB's are interchangeable. The Dura-Ace BBs hold up quite well, in my experience.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As far as the bottom brackets go, you can use Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, or Dura-Ace. The road Hollowtech II BB's are interchangeable. The Dura-Ace BBs hold up quite well, in my experience.
    Thanks, just the information I needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Got a project this weekend! Swapping out the charcoal frame for a looooong-awaited Vaya Travel. New front derailleur and some cable and I'm good to go.

Vaya Builds-vaya2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Getting all the parts together to build up my Vaya. Here is the list as of now:

Frameset: 2014 Vaya (Unsure of Which Color will Show Up, Though)
    Headset: Chris King Threadless 1 1/8"
    Bars: Salsa Cowbell 2 - 44cm
    Stem: Thomson 100mm
    Saddle: TBD
    Seatpost: Salsa ProMoto 2
    Seatclamp: Salsa Flip-Lock
    Crankset: Shimano 105 Compact Double 53/39
    Bottom Bracket: TBD (Recommendations?)
    Pedals: TBD
    Front Mech: Shimano 105 FD-5700
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT
    Brifters: Shimano 105 10-Speed/Double
    Chain: Shimano XT 10-Speed
    Cassette: Shimano XT M771 10-Speed
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Mechanical Road
    Rims: Velocity Dyad 700c, 36h, NMSW
    Spokes: DT Swiss Competition (Not sure what length I need)
    Front Hub: Shimano XT 36h
    Rear Hub: Shimano XT 36h
    Tires: Gatorskin 700x32

Only a couple of things I'm still unsure on.

1. Is there a kit from Jagwire that I can buy that will give me everything I need to get the bike up and running? I assume there is but I've never routed cables on a bike and am unsure of which kit(s) I'll need. Any insight?

2. Spokes. A couple of spoke calculators say that on the front I'll need 285mm for left and 285.9mm on the right. In the rear, they say 285.8 on the left and 284.9 on the right. Do I buy all 285mm spokes? Do I buy half 285 and the other half 286mm? Should I just leave this up to the wheel builder?

3. Bottom bracket. If Salsa says it's a 68, English...is that all there is to it? Is there also a compatibility with the crankset I need to keep in mind?

This is (obviously) my first build up from a frame. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Will the XT rear work with 10 speed 105 brifters? I may want to do that if I cant seel my bike complete.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Vaya Builds

Nope. Gotta use an XT 9-speed rear mech, SGS. Should work fine with the 11_34 cassette and 105 brifters

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nope. Gotta use an XT 9-speed rear mech, SGS. Should work fine with the 11_34 cassette and 105 brifters

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Got the new frame out on a shakedown trail/road-ride yesterday in some scorching Austin heat. I'm really impressed with the ride and build quality. The is my second travel bike but my first SS frame.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Rohloff-Vaya

Today I had the first ride on my Vaya build There is so much more soul in a custom build (and frustration ) These are only phone-snapshots, but I hope to take some better ones soon...
    I really like the clean look of the Rohloff without chain tensioner...And the Busch und Müller Luxor U is an amazing light with integrated USB-charger, also very handy! Vaya Builds-2013-08-18-19.12.14.jpgVaya Builds-2013-08-18-19.44.36.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Somehow only half ob the files were uploaded....here 2 other ones

Vaya Builds-2013-08-18-19.11.57-kleiner.jpgVaya Builds-2013-08-18-19.44.26-kleiner.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Beautiful build! Love the wooden fenders and brooks saddle.

What did you use for a chain tensioner?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I need to space out the crank a bit and get the cables run

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks
    I used the Tobias Wasser Eccentric BB in the second Version (Zuhause - Exzentriker Tobias Wasser)
    That guy also invented the phil wood eccentric bb for those outside of germany
    I don't know if I had to, but used a halflink-chain...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Cool, I'm planning on using the Phil Wood version for my upcoming project(early next year!)

Would love to see some more detailed pictures, especially of the wiring for the lights and the handlebar set-up.

How are the Woodchippers working out for you so far? Have you checked the Fargo thread for set-up ideas?

Ride Everything
    Seriously considering replacing my Vaya with a Fargo. That, or I'm going to convert it to 650B for more tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Why? I have a gen 1 fargo and a vaya, while I like my fargo more I don't see it as a replacement for my vaya.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Seriously considering replacing my Vaya with a Fargo. That, or I'm going to convert it to 650B for more tire clearance.
    I'm thinking of doing just the opposite. Gen1 Fargo, thinking of going with a Vaya frameset and switching most of it over. I'm on a small Fargo and I am only 5'4". I keep thinking that I would like to try out the Vaya. This parts switch would be my cheapest option given I have extra 26" wheels lying around and everything else should fit just fine.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJL View Post
    Why? I have a gen 1 fargo and a vaya, while I like my fargo more I don't see it as a replacement for my vaya.
    I want to increase the off-road portion of my daily commute. To do so (safely/comfortably), I'd want wider tires than the Vaya can accommodate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I want to increase the off-road portion of my daily commute. To do so (safely/comfortably), I'd want wider tires than the Vaya can accommodate.
    The vaya can take some pretty wide tires but for a comuter the fargo is a better fit imo unless you are commuting long distances. I commute on my fargo and use my vaya as a road bike. Both have marathon supreme tires 50c for the fargo and 40c for the vaya.
    Right now my fargo is setup with a bend bar and for commuting I am really happy with it.

I got nothin'
    I have two wheelsets for my Vaya (650b and 700c). I have a 2.1's on the 650b wheelset that fit great with room to spare. The 700c wheelset is used for touring duty.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    I have two wheelsets for my Vaya (650b and 700c). I have a 2.1's on the 650b wheelset that fit great with room to spare. The 700c wheelset is used for touring duty.
    How is the clearance with the 2.1 (650B) tires?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tws21975 View Post
    Cool, I'm planning on using the Phil Wood version for my upcoming project(early next year!)

Would love to see some more detailed pictures, especially of the wiring for the lights and the handlebar set-up.

How are the Woodchippers working out for you so far? Have you checked the Fargo thread for set-up ideas?
    It's my first bike with dropbars, so I'm still experimenting with the setting...I'm happy with the drops so far, but on the hoods could be better I guess..., the brakes seem too low, but otherwise they are out of reach in the drops, so still some fine-tuning to do...

I did a few quick pictures of the wiring: It is internal in the fork, the cables for the back light run down the downtube, then internal again in the chainstay and in the rack...and there is a remote on the stem with the usb-charger and a switch for the 90 lux high beam with runs on the little battery in the light that also keeps the usb charger at a constant level...

Vaya Builds-2013-08-12-15.33.48-klein.jpgVaya Builds-2013-08-22-09.37.49-klein.jpgVaya Builds-2013-08-22-09.38.12-klein.jpgVaya Builds-2013-08-22-09.38.30-klein.jpg

Ride Everything
    I started gathering the parts to convert my Vaya to a 650B MonsterCross rig. Wheels are coming from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and tires will be Kenda.

My current gearing is 36/46 with 11-34 (9s), and I'll probably switch to an MTB double to better handle off-road climbs (26/39 or so).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New Crankset for my Vaya

Finally after a bunch of research I have the crank setup I've been envisioning. A triple ring outboard bearing crank with touring chainrings. 24-34-46. The crank is last years SLX that I found on ebay for cheep. I had a solid axle internal bearing setup that weighed 11 ounces more!! I wanted to keep the tooth count the same as what I've always had, and after an extensive search found some Origin8 34 tooth and 46 tooth rings to replace the smaller ones that came with the crankset. It is easy to get close to the required chainline with the supplied spacers from Shimano. I now have an all SLX drivetrain. bar-end shifters are Dura-Ace.
    Vaya Builds-slx-crank.jpgVaya Builds-slx-crank-2.jpg