Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2482

Thread: Vaya Builds

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J2the4son View Post
    Here are my upgrades for 2016. Swapped the sora group out for 105 upgraded the wheels to ZTR Grail put on a Rust color Cambium saddle and am trying out the 700x42 Soma SUPPLE VITESSE SL tires which I love so far.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Nice tires! I seem to have a thing for tires like some women have for shoes.

I also built up some Grail wheels and love them. They're a very flexible rim to go with a very flexible bike.

J2the4son
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by benmills View Post
    Nice tires! I seem to have a thing for tires like some women have for shoes.

I also built up some Grail wheels and love them. They're a very flexible rim to go with a very flexible bike.
    I am tempted to try to convert them to tubeless but I have never set up tubeless tires before so I am hesitant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice upgrades. I bet the Grails/Supple Vitesse make a big difference in how the vaya rides. I have them on another bike and run them tubeless with similar tires (Compass Jon Bon Pass); just curious if you have them setup that way, or if you are running tubes?

Oops, I hadn't refreshed my browser. Thanks for that information.

As for setting up tubeless, the Grails are like the rest of the Stan's line - they setup very easily. Just a layer of tape, valve stem, and some sealant and you should be set. I had very little air loss the first night, spun them on their sides to let the sealant do its job, and have had unnoticeable air loss for a few months now.

J2the4son
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    Nice upgrades. I bet the Grails/Supple Vitesse make a big difference in how the vaya rides. I have them on another bike and run them tubeless with similar tires (Compass Jon Bon Pass); just curious if you have them setup that way, or if you are running tubes?

Oops, I hadn't refreshed my browser. Thanks for that information.
    I just checked the compass tires out. Looks like they are tubeless compatible I haven't been able to find any info on anyone trying to convert the Soma tires to tubeless but it looks like people have had success with the nontubeless compass tires and they are very similar. I think I will give it a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, I think they both use Panaracer casings, and I don't think there's any difference in the casings for the tubeless, but rather the bead is a tubeless compatible bead. The Stan's rim is supposed to take care of that problem with a slightly enlarged diameter and bead seat.

J2the4son
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    Yeah, I think they both use Panaracer casings, and I don't think there's any difference in the casings for the tubeless, but rather the bead is a tubeless compatible bead. The Stan's rim is supposed to take care of that problem with a slightly enlarged diameter and bead seat.
    That slightly enlarged diameter sure made getting those tires on a major PITA. But the bead is nice and tight!

mtbr member

Revelate Ripio on Vaya?

Anyone using a Ripio on their Vaya? How's the fit? I really like the idea of a full frame bag for my Vaya. If this fits then I'd likely grab one.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ame-bags/Ripio

Thanks.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I just compared the measurements of the XL bag with my 60cm Vaya and it seems like it would work, might be a little tight in one measurement (ST), otherwise is fine.

Anyone have any real world experience?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If it's somewhat close, it'll probably work, since Revelate bags seem to be generous with their strap lengths. I have yet to see a bad review on Revelate bags, good stuff.

Human Test Subject
    I would try to find one locally and try it on or email Eric directly. I think I've seen pics of that bag on Surlys with level top tubes so it may fit funny on a Vaya.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I would try to find one locally and try it on or email Eric directly. I think I've seen pics of that bag on Surlys with level top tubes so it may fit funny on a Vaya.
    They had one at Universal so I picked it up. Not a bad fit on the Vaya, but not perfect either. It does fit my LHT perfectly so I may end up keeping it. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow whether to return it or not. I've got a trip coming up in June. I may not even ride the Vaya but if I do, I'd want a full frame bag. First world problems...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've been following this thread for a few years but never got around to posting. Here's mine. It sees everything from gravel roads to hauling groceries to camping. I have so-called "nicer" bikes that don't get anywhere near as much ride time as my Vaya. Such a great multi-purpose rig, Salsa got it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Likewise, I've lurked for a while but never posted my build from last October. Stainless Steel Salsa Vaya with S&S couplers. I found this one in my size (54) in Germany. Highlights include first instance of the GELBA Rohbox in the United States. This item allows for the use of traditional shifters to control the Rohloff gearbox.

Vaya Builds-1.jpgVaya Builds-13.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rohloff with brifters is sweet. Very nice setup genefruit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I built up a 52CM titanium Vaya a couple of months ago. At the time, I was riding a carbon fiber specialized Ruby and a Moots YBB. I had just sold a Bike Friday and was thinking of replacing it with a touring bike. I looked around at several bikes, including a steel Salsa Vaya, but I finally decided that instead of having three bikes, I'd rather just sell the Specialized and get a titanium Vaya. The Vaya will be my road and touring bike, and the Moots will retain it's off-road duty.

Vaya Builds-26231010201_00948c9845_b.jpg

I bought a Vaya Ti frame, instead of the complete bike, because there were a few components I wanted to customize. It is built up very close to the complete bike that Salsa offers, with the following exceptions:

- Handbuilt wheelset - HED Belgium rims (not the wider "plus" version like the Vaya usually has), DT Swiss 350 hubs, black spokes, silver alloy nipples

- TRP Spyre brakes

- Thomson Masterpiece seatpost

- Sugino OX901D Compact + Crankset with 44T/30T

- Origin Stem (this may not be my final selection--just bought an inexpensive one to determine fit)

- Continental Grand Prix 4000 700X28C (actually measure 30mm)

- Titanium bolts in most locations

- Selle Italia Diva saddle

I'm very happy with the bike. It came in at 20.1 lbs. (before pedals & bottle cages). I'm getting it set up now for touring. I have lightweight backpacking gear, so I'm going for a lightweight setup. I plan to run Ortlieb Sport Packer panniers on the rear (which are are more often used as front panniers), along with a small Ortlieb rack bag and an Ortlieb handlebar bag. If I find that I need additional storage, I will add a larger saddle bag and frame bag.

I just added a Tubus Airy rack, and the bags will be arriving tomorrow.

Vaya Builds-26297661335_34db57d6a3_b.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cryzcruze View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the great inspiration for building my Vaya. Here it is:

Attachment 1051575Attachment 1051576

How do you like the Vaya as an upright commuter? I use mine mostly for commuting and doing gravel rides (and some gravel events), but I really enjoy an upright riding position also. I was thinking about picking up a Cross Check for that, but maybe I will just convert my Vaya.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsnack View Post
    How do you like the Vaya as an upright commuter? I use mine mostly for commuting and doing gravel rides (and some gravel events), but I really enjoy an upright riding position also. I was thinking about picking up a Cross Check for that, but maybe I will just convert my Vaya.
    The Vaya will lend itself a little bit better to this due to having a taller headtube, whereas the Cross Check (and Straggler) have a shorter headtube.

Check out some geometry numbers:

Stack height on a 57 Vaya (570mm ETT) is 628mm, while on a 56 CC (570mm ETT) is only 556.5mm

To get similar fits on both bikes, you're going to be looking at a high rise stem or a lot of spacers to get the bars in the same place.

That said, if you were thinking of getting a new bike anyway, why not a Marrakesh?
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by genefruit View Post
    Likewise, I've lurked for a while but never posted my build from last October. Stainless Steel Salsa Vaya with S&S couplers. I found this one in my size (54) in Germany. Highlights include first instance of the GELBA Rohbox in the United States. This item allows for the use of traditional shifters to control the Rohloff gearbox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1513 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	1062398
    Nice setup, what brand fenders are those?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That is the #1 vaya in my book!

I want to know what fenders as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Apie View Post
    That is the #1 vaya in my book!

I want to know what fenders as well.
    Thank you for the compliment. The fenders are VO Zeppelins - VO Zeppelin 52mm Fenders 700c, Noir - 700c - Fenders, Accessories, Hardware - Accessories

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    finally got my 2015 vaya 3 ready for the season. As mentioned before, got it for a song from Ottawa.
    Drivetrain all stock for now, no need IMHO.
    Some Compass Barlow Extralights, with the front running latex 26MTB tubes to test out. A bit of work to get on but so far so good. The rears not so good, pinched and blew it out big time, even before installing the wheel back on LOL. The rip was like 3-4" long. Good thing no damage to the tire. Oh well, they become my latex repair patches now.
    Some Brooks tape and new B17, Tubus Nova ss lowriders.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...pspeln1wqi.jpg
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...psvhjf2z0i.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hmto View Post
    finally got my 2015 vaya 3 ready for the season. As mentioned before, got it for a song from Ottawa.
    Some Compass Barlow Extralights, with the front running latex 26MTB tubes to test out. A bit of work to get on but so far so good. The rears not so good, pinched and blew it out big time, even before installing the wheel back on LOL. The rip was like 3-4" long. Good thing no damage to the tire. Oh well, they become my latex repair patches now.

Nice build.

What handlebars are those?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Nice build.

What handlebars are those?
    stock cowbell 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmto View Post

Looks good! The matching Brooks saddle and bar tape is very high-class!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Looks good! The matching Brooks saddle and bar tape is very high-class!
    thx ianick, my first brooks and so far so good with the break-in

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jckid View Post
    I built up a 52CM titanium Vaya a couple of months ago. At the time, I was riding a carbon fiber specialized Ruby and a Moots YBB. I had just sold a Bike Friday and was thinking of replacing it with a touring bike. I looked around at several bikes, including a steel Salsa Vaya, but I finally decided that instead of having three bikes, I'd rather just sell the Specialized and get a titanium Vaya. The Vaya will be my road and touring bike, and the Moots will retain it's off-road duty.

Name:	26231010201_00948c9845_b.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	1062473

I bought a Vaya Ti frame, instead of the complete bike, because there were a few components I wanted to customize. It is built up very close to the complete bike that Salsa offers, with the following exceptions:

- Handbuilt wheelset - HED Belgium rims (not the wider "plus" version like the Vaya usually has), DT Swiss 350 hubs, black spokes, silver alloy nipples

- TRP Spyre brakes

- Thomson Masterpiece seatpost

- Sugino OX901D Compact + Crankset with 44T/30T

- Origin Stem (this may not be my final selection--just bought an inexpensive one to determine fit)

- Continental Grand Prix 4000 700X28C (actually measure 30mm)

- Titanium bolts in most locations

- Selle Italia Diva saddle

I'm very happy with the bike. It came in at 20.1 lbs. (before pedals & bottle cages). I'm getting it set up now for touring. I have lightweight backpacking gear, so I'm going for a lightweight setup. I plan to run Ortlieb Sport Packer panniers on the rear (which are are more often used as front panniers), along with a small Ortlieb rack bag and an Ortlieb handlebar bag. If I find that I need additional storage, I will add a larger saddle bag and frame bag.

I just added a Tubus Airy rack, and the bags will be arriving tomorrow.

Name:	26297661335_34db57d6a3_b.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	1062475
    Nice touch with the bend in the roundstay for the rack. I'm going to copy you😄!

Ride Everything
    If anyone is looking for a good deal on a used 56cm Vaya, shoot me a PM.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    If anyone is looking for a good deal on a used 56cm Vaya, shoot me a PM.
    Hopefully you are offloading this vaya for another

mtbr member
    My Vaya with 27.5 Blunt 35's and Compass 650b X 48 tires.
    Need more cushion for my herniated discs.

Human Test Subject
    I think Hagasan just made the most comfortable bike in the world.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That looks awesome. How much did it lower the BB by?

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    That looks awesome. How much did it lower the BB by?
    I was looking into that rim/tire combination for my wife and they have the same outer diameter as 700x28c tires which I've seen people run on their Vayas.

That said, it looks like you need to be careful turning.

J2the4son
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HAGASAN View Post

Nice looking bike. I was close to doing the same exact thing. How does it ride? Also, what are you using to lower your seat tube bottle cage? I need one of those bad!

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Hopefully you are offloading this vaya for another
    Nope. Something else.

mtbr member
    Nope. Something else.
    Interested to see what it might be!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J2the4son View Post
    Nice looking bike. I was close to doing the same exact thing. How does it ride? Also, what are you using to lower your seat tube bottle cage? I need one of those bad!

Bike rides great, no issues with the pedal strike. I do keep that leg high on the turn side though. Tires really help to soak up the bumps and role surprisingly fast.

Using a SHimano Cage re-locator to lower the cage.

Shimano Cage relocator.

mtbr member
    May 2016

My orange Vaya

Hello all,
    I just discovered this thread and it's been a pleasure to see so many nice Salsa Vayas! Here's my 2011 Vaya 54cm with custom build. I use it for local rides, commuting, and loaded touring. I especially love it for touring - it rides and handles beautifully with the load. Next, I'd like to try some of the supple Compass or Grand Bois tires, for unloaded rides at least.

Brakes: TRP Hylex hydraulic discs
    Drivetrain: Sugino XD600 165mm 46/36/24, XT bar-ends and rear derailleur, 13-34 (custom) 8-speed
    Seating: Terry Liberator Y on Ritchey post
    Wheels: Mavic/Deore 32 spoke with 38mm Paselas
    Accessories: Velo Orange fenders, Salsa and Blackburn racks, Topeak pump (mounted behind seat tube)

Vaya Builds-vaya-1.jpg

Vaya Builds-vaya-2.jpg
    Fender struts are mounted inside the rear dropouts, allowing the rack to mount a little lower.

Vaya Builds-vaya-3.jpg
    Showing my new brakes, and also how the Velo-Orange fender strut clears it without alteration. BTW this is the replacement fork after Salsa recalled the original a few years ago.

Vaya Builds-vaya-tour.jpg
    Loaded for overnight tour a couple weeks ago!

mtbr member
    I'm not into suspension. I got two mountain bikes. Full rigids, one is a 29er and the other is a 27.5 plus.

I want a road/nothing with too skinny of a tire....and that Vaya Kelley Green color has got my attention. That or a all black Surly Straggler.

Would the Vaya be good addition? Is it fun to ride unloaded? Does it climb good?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    I'm not into suspension. I got two mountain bikes. Full rigids, one is a 29er and the other is a 27.5 plus.

I want a road/nothing with too skinny of a tire....and that Vaya Kelley Green color has got my attention. That or a all black Surly Straggler.

Would the Vaya be good addition? Is it fun to ride unloaded? Does it climb good?
    Having a Vaya and an AWOL I'd give the AWOL the edge over the Vaya. For me the AWOL is just more fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    Having a Vaya and an AWOL I'd give the AWOL the edge over the Vaya. For me the AWOL is just more fun to ride.
    I'm not into buying bikes from the big three.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Mine is hella fun to ride unloaded. I've taken a number of KOMs on it. I wouldn't say it is a good climber compared to a pavement bike given its weight but if you set it up right it feels zippy enough.

Ride Everything
    I've put lots of miles on the AWOL and Vaya, and I find the Vaya to be much more versatile. For some real-world comments about the AWOL, read this.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've put lots of miles on the AWOL and Vaya, and I find the Vaya to be much more versatile. For some real-world comments about the AWOL, read this.
    I'm with you on the low riders and panniers on the front. Had a high rider rack setup and handling when loaded was pretty bad - with the low riders, the load is barely noticeable.

My setup is currently the fron low rider + panniers, revelate tangle and a terrapin.

I really like the big seat bags over rear rack and panniers. This setup gives me pretty much all the room I could need.

mtbr member
    May 2016

If you're not going to carry a touring load, I would not get a touring bike. A wide-tire road bike would ride better. But for a touring bike that's still OK to ride unloaded, the Vaya is pretty nice.
    - Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MDGColorado View Post
    If you're not going to carry a touring load, I would not get a touring bike. A wide-tire road bike would ride better. But for a touring bike that's still OK to ride unloaded, the Vaya is pretty nice.
    - Mark
    Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of wider tire road bike options out there. My ideal commuter would be a faster bike that I could get a rack on. I've been looking more and more at the warbird but wish I could throw a rack on it for a fast commuter.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of wider tire road bike options out there. My ideal commuter would be a faster bike that I could get a rack on. I've been looking more and more at the warbird but wish I could throw a rack on it for a fast commuter.
    I really want a Salsa. I am also into steel, but ever since buying my first Marin I can't help from looking at their new models....very nice!

Gestalt and Utilititour models. Bigger than average wheels

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Has anyone else had problems with the front brake juddering/shuddering under hard braking? I've had the same problem with the Avid BB7s that came on the bike and a new TRP HY/RD. Tried lots of adjusting, but the setup is pretty basic for the TRP HY/RD. I'm wondering if I need to reface the post mounts. Or maybe the fork is just not strong enough for hard braking without shuddering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm having the same issue with the hyrd on a niner rlt, but research suggests it's the brake being slightly off recenter from the discs. I haven't had the time or inclination to try and adjust yet. Improperly faced mounts could be a cause too, though it doesn't seem to usually be an issue with Niner

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I run HY/RD's on the AWOL and the Vaya. Had problems with judder early on and replaced the pads and all was well. Later in the season I cleaned the original pads and reinstalled them and had no judder. My guess is that my issue was centering the caliper. I now use a shim to center the caliper on the rotor and feel it's the best way to set it up. I found a video showing how to make the shim using an old 3 1/2 floppy disk dust cover but can't find it but it's what I use to align the caliper now.

Vaya Builds-win_20160605_07_52_43_pro.jpg

edit: another thing I learned is to alternate between the bolts and tighten them a tiny bit at a time. If I crank down too much it seems to skew the caliper. (as a side note, I obsess over any rub and won't stop unless there is no rub and find it's hard to achieve that with new pads so will settle with a little rub when the pads are new but will re center the calipers after the first ride if there's any rub.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I run HY/RD's on the AWOL and the Vaya. Had problems with judder early on and replaced the pads and all was well. Later in the season I cleaned the original pads and reinstalled them and had no judder. My guess is that my issue was centering the caliper. I now use a shim to center the caliper on the rotor and feel it's the best way to set it up. I found a video showing how to make the shim using an old 3 1/2 floppy disk dust cover but can't find it but it's what I use to align the caliper now.

Name:	WIN_20160605_07_52_43_Pro.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1074419

edit: another thing I learned is to alternate between the bolts and tighten them a tiny bit at a time. If I crank down too much it seems to skew the caliper. (as a side note, I obsess over any rub and won't stop unless there is no rub and find it's hard to achieve that with new pads so will settle with a little rub when the pads are new but will re center the calipers after the first ride if there's any rub.)
    Which pads did you replace the stock ones with?

The HY/RD setup seems so simple that it would be hard to get the centering wrong. You just squeeze the brake hard and (like you said) gradually tighten each bolt a little at a time. I've tried a dozen times and can't get rid of the shuddering.

I was really hoping for a solid, easy to set up disc brake for the Vaya. The BB7s were really frustrating to set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Which pads did you replace the stock ones with?

The HY/RD setup seems so simple that it would be hard to get the centering wrong. You just squeeze the brake hard and (like you said) gradually tighten each bolt a little at a time. I've tried a dozen times and can't get rid of the shuddering.

I was really hoping for a solid, easy to set up disc brake for the Vaya. The BB7s were really frustrating to set up.
    EBC Green and yeah they're pretty easy to set up but I still had some trouble getting them perfect, for me, following the brake squeeze method that I don't have using the shim but others experience may be opposite of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-win_20160606_18_10_18_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HAGASAN View Post

How's the clearance with these? I was reading that those tires can stretch out to 50-52mm.

banned
    Nov 2015
    Are there any news on 2017 line up. I would love to see a Vaya Ti with thru axle. On the other hand Vaya might dissapear in 2017 like el mar, deadwood

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finished the Great Allegheny and C&O Canal trails last week, and all I can say is the Vaya was a dream to ride on them
    Vaya Builds-divide.jpg
    Vaya Builds-canal.jpg
    Last edited by Boxlid; 06-18-2016 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxlid View Post
    Finished the Great Allegheny and C&O Canal trails last week, and all I can say is the Vaya was a dream to ride on them
    Well, that's not just any run-of-the-mill Vaya, either =D

And I'll agree...its one darn comfy ride, loaded or not.

Vaya Builds-vaya_spring_house.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013

Touring gear spec set-up recommendation and help needed!

Looking for a DOUBLE crank setup for TOURING (and some commuting)
    - for going up hills
    - for doing ok speed on flats
    - for not going fast on downhilld

- Lighter than current stock setup
    - More efficient/less hassle changing gears

About me:
    - I did few tours already (Norway mostly/France)
    - OK fit
    - My budget is open for any suggestions. Well I will try.

Considering the following setup:
    46/28
    44/28
    44/26
    with a 11-34/36 cassette.

Too ambitious? Would it even work? What other setup would you recommend and happy about?

I know brands like the ones below runs such combos (or close to):
    - SunXCD
    - Rene Herse
    - Velo Orange
    - Sugino
    Anyone running such setup with those?

Please let me know, I am very serious to do an upgrade now, so your input/feedback are greatly appreciated!

Below, my current Salsa Vaya 2 - 60cm - stock setup (currently changing to flat bars)
    2015 Vaya 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles
    Crank: Shimano R563: 220/42/52
    Cassette: Shimano 105: 11/28
    Chain: KMC X10
    Derailleur: Shimano 105 triple and SGS

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been running 50/34 with a 11-32 cassette for about 3 years so far on loaded tours (the 2 pics above are that combo). You shouldn't have a problem with a cyclocross double, such as 46/30. Just be sure to get a WiFli or a mountain cassette with a very wide gear range (at least 11-32) and you'll be fine. The only other thing to do is not carry too much junk you don't need on the ride

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxlid View Post
    I've been running 50/34 with a 11-32 cassette for about 3 years so far on loaded tours (the 2 pics above are that combo). You shouldn't have a problem with a cyclocross double, such as 46/30. Just be sure to get a WiFli or a mountain cassette with a very wide gear range (at least 11-32) and you'll be fine. The only other thing to do is not carry too much junk you don't need on the ride
    Impressive, you are running more or less the same range as I am now on my triple 30/42/50 with 11-28 cassette...

Don't you wish you had more power on the hills though?
    I haven't thought about this gearsetup so thanks for your advice and suggestion. Not making my choice yet easier. Could you even run your setup on larger cassette range say 11-34?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by argaume View Post
    Impressive, you are running more or less the same range as I am now on my triple 30/42/50 with 11-28 cassette...

Don't you wish you had more power on the hills though?
    I haven't thought about this gearsetup so thanks for your advice and suggestion. Not making my choice yet easier. Could you even run your setup on larger cassette range say 11-34?
    It really depends on your rear derailleur choice. In my case, I'm running the Red Wifli setup, which 32 is the lowest that it can handle. If you run a mountain rear derailleur, you can place pretty much anything you want on there, given you use a long cage derailleur and it has a 'chain wrap' that's acceptable (look into calculating this if you don't know how). Power hasn't been a issue, although I never really used the lowest gear on my bikes that have triples (reason I built my Vaya with a double this time).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    - for going up hills

About me:
    - OK fit

46/28
    44/28
    44/26

Too ambitious? Would it even work? What other setup would you recommend and happy about?

- SunXCD
    - Rene Herse
    - Velo Orange
    - Sugino

Please let me know, I am very serious to do an upgrade now, so your input/feedback are greatly appreciated!

Below, my current Salsa Vaya 2 - 60cm - stock setup (currently changing to flat bars)
    i think the easiest way to do this now is a sram 1x setup. 38 x 10-42. you can also hack together a shimano double that will give you good range using a wolftooth roadlink or tampan. i have 46-36 x 11-40.

since 4/10/2009
    I am running a Tiagra 50/34 and 105 FD with a Shimano SLX SGS RD and an 11-36 10spd cassette on Gevenalle GX shifters.

Raaaaaaaange

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I am running a Tiagra 50/34 and 105 FD with a Shimano SLX SGS RD and an 11-36 10spd cassette on Gevenalle GX shifters.

Raaaaaaaange
    Rad. I would love to get something like this for my Vaya (to replace 26-36-48 by 11-34) someday, but I wonder if it would work with an 11-40 or 42 cassette because I use and need my 26-34 granny for my rides. I could go a bit taller than 26-34, but not much.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Rad. I would love to get something like this for my Vaya (to replace 26-36-48 by 11-34) someday, but I wonder if it would work with an 11-40 or 42 cassette because I use and need my 26-34 granny for my rides. I could go a bit taller than 26-34, but not much.
    Would probably need to be a 48/34 crankset at least to go to an 11-40 cassette.

mtbr member
    Would probably need to be a 48/34 crankset at least to go to an 11-40 cassette.
    I run a shimano cx-70 crankset with a 46/34 and a 10sp 11-36 and find it fine for commuting and light touring. If I know my route is going to be steep I have a 34/24 to help get up those big hills.

since 4/10/2009
    I have personally been thinking that a 48t big chainring would be more useful to me than a 50t. Even a 46t. So far, the 34t has not left me feeling limited at all with the riding I do on my Vaya.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great suggestions and they are all great setups thanks!

Tending so far those 2 options....
    1) Double 28/44 with cassette 11-36
    2) Double 34/50 with cassette 11-36

Not sure what components for now, but that's what I have in mind for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im using a Sugino 48/34 and 11-34 9sp cassette. Seems to work well for me. Sometimes I wish the rear cassette was tighter like a 11-32 or 30 but this aint no racing bike.

2016-03-21_02-38-06 by Sven S., on Flickr
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
    Im using a Sugino 48/34 and 11-34 9sp cassette. Seems to work well for me. Sometimes I wish the rear cassette was tighter like a 11-32 or 30 but this aint no racing bike.

Nice!
    Not too hard on the hills light loaded? Looks like more or less the same, on the lowest ratio as my stock gearing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post

Our setups are very similar. I run a Sugino 48/32 with a 11-36 in the back, I also have another set of 46/28 and a 44t chainring as well. I live in a very hilly area and am going around 40 mph downhill when I start to feel like I'm spinning out the 48-11 combo. At some point I'm going to drop down to the 46/28 setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run a shimano 50-34 and 11-36 using 10 speed brifters and a xtr 9 speed rear derailleur. Plenty of range for all but the steepest of rocky ascents. Would be keen to try 11-40 for loaded touring, might need a longer b screw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @edthesped, nice setup, I would really like 46/28 with a 11-36 in the back, I don't know how that would be possible or even could perform well.

To me it looks difficult doing such setup considering a 18 gears difference on the double crank. While you can with Sugino do great wide double crank customisation you cannot really do it with the more commercial brands like Shimano/SRAM. You can get the default 34/50 16 gears difference, or you can customize certains double crank and within certain limits....

In the end I would rather prio hills with the lowest ring on the double crank at 28, 30, or even up to 32... with a 11-36 cassette- than getting speed. I like to rest in the downhill loaded and have it "easier" in this hills

since 4/10/2009
    @edthesped, nice setup, I would really like 46/28 with a 11-36 in the back, I don't know how that would be possible or even could perform well.

To me it looks difficult doing such setup considering a 18 gears difference on the double crank. While you can with Sugino do great wide double crank customisation you cannot really do it with the more commercial brands like Shimano/SRAM. You can get the default 34/50 16 gears difference, or you can customize certains double crank and within certain limits....

In the end I would rather prio hills with the lowest ring on the double crank at 28, 30, or even up to 32... with a 11-36 cassette- than getting speed. I like to rest in the downhill loaded and have it "easier" in this hills
    You would find it easier to setup by using a crankset with less of a gap, but with a cassette with a really wide range, I think. A 50/34 w/11-36 is pushing the limits of chain uptake that a long cage derailleur can handle. So hit the gear calculators and figure out what cassette to pair up with a more commonly available 34t small (road) chainring and a 46t or 48t big ring. OR, get crazy and use a full mtb drivetrain to get super low.

I am pretty content with a 34/36 at the low end for now. I just feel like I'd be better off with a 48t or even a 46t big ring instead. I find that most of the time I spend in the 50t, I'm in the middle of the cassette at best. I'm just not using the biggest gears, and that's even relatively unloaded.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like crazy thanks Harold:-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You would find it easier to setup by using a crankset with less of a gap, but with a cassette with a really wide range, I think. A 50/34 w/11-36 is pushing the limits of chain uptake that a long cage derailleur can handle. So hit the gear calculators and figure out what cassette to pair up with a more commonly available 34t small (road) chainring and a 46t or 48t big ring. OR, get crazy and use a full mtb drivetrain to get super low.

I am pretty content with a 34/36 at the low end for now. I just feel like I'd be better off with a 48t or even a 46t big ring instead. I find that most of the time I spend in the 50t, I'm in the middle of the cassette at best. I'm just not using the biggest gears, and that's even relatively unloaded.
    No problems with the chain uptake on my current setup, 48/32 w/11-36, and have been running it for a couple of months now. I have yet to try the 46/30 or the 44/28 setup yet, I see I said 46/28 earlier but meant 46/30. I ride a lot of hills and on my 3+ day a week commute have an elevation gain of around 900 feet over the last mile and a half and I barely make it with the 48/32 but then again I barely made it on the stock 48/34 as well. As it is I love the big ring on my way to work, 40mph downhill is a lot of fun first thing in the morning, and fantasize about a mountain setup on the way home as I'm huffing and puffing by the time I get into my neighborhood.

since 4/10/2009
    No problems with the chain uptake on my current setup, 48/32 w/11-36, and have been running it for a couple of months now. I have yet to try the 46/30 or the 44/28 setup yet, I see I said 46/28 earlier but meant 46/30. I ride a lot of hills and on my 3+ day a week commute have an elevation gain of around 900 feet over the last mile and a half and I barely make it with the 48/32 but then again I barely made it on the stock 48/34 as well. As it is I love the big ring on my way to work, 40mph downhill is a lot of fun first thing in the morning, and fantasize about a mountain setup on the way home as I'm huffing and puffing by the time I get into my neighborhood.
    FWIW, all of those setups require the same amount of chain uptake capacity as a 50/34 with an 11-36.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    FWIW, all of those setups require the same amount of chain uptake capacity as a 50/34 with an 11-36.
    I didn't look too hard at calculators when I set it up as I knew I was bucking the norm. Got the Sugino crankset for a really good deal off CL and ran with it. Then again, my AWOL has a 50/39/30 with 11-36 rear cassette and has been flawless going on 2 years now.

since 4/10/2009
    I didn't look too hard at calculators when I set it up as I knew I was bucking the norm. Got the Sugino crankset for a really good deal off CL and ran with it. Then again, my AWOL has a 50/39/30 with 11-36 rear cassette and has been flawless going on 2 years now.
    What derailleurs does it use? It does matter, but anyone who has converted to 1x10 on their mtb knows that most of the manufacturer-stated limits are a touch on the conservative side, too. I also never said I was at the limit. I said I was pushing the limit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Interesting yes.
    30/46.
    Which crank could you customize to be this from may be let's say 34/50 crank or another SRAM/shimana setup?

As for the sugino, what other mod do you need to undertake so that it fits on the Vaya? Bb change? Chain, derailleur,...?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What derailleurs does it use? It does matter, but anyone who has converted to 1x10 on their mtb knows that most of the manufacturer-stated limits are a touch on the conservative side, too. I also never said I was at the limit. I said I was pushing the limit.
    AWOL, In looking at the picture I see the fender stay has somehow shifted. Wonder how that happened...

Vaya Builds-img_2184.jpgVaya Builds-img_2185.jpg

and the Sugino on the VAYA RD is an X9 long cage...
    Vaya Builds-img_2190.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Interesting yes.
    30/46.
    Which crank could you customize to be this from may be let's say 34/50 crank or another SRAM/shimana setup?

As for the sugino, what other mod do you need to undertake so that it fits on the Vaya? Bb change? Chain, derailleur,...?
    You can buy a few cranks with that ratio, I've seen the SRAM Red (CX version) crank come with that setup when I purchased my compact. Do a search for cyclocross cranks and you'll probably find quite a few others. A word of advice if you run a GXP crank, don't use the sram BB's, go with a vcrc one with the better cx seal for the vaya

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Sugino I purchased came with a new BB, the stock SRAM Apex derailleur worked fine but I had a Shimano CX70 that I picked up for $15 from Nashbar that I put on because it is supposed to be better, honestly I don't notice a difference between the Apex and the CX70. Still quite pleased with the Sugino as far as a front double is concerned but prefer a triple.

mtbr member
    The Sugino I purchased came with a new BB, the stock SRAM Apex derailleur worked fine but I had a Shimano CX70 that I picked up for $15 from Nashbar that I put on because it is supposed to be better, honestly I don't notice a difference between the Apex and the CX70. Still quite pleased with the Sugino as far as a front double is concerned but prefer a triple.
    I found the CX70 to be significantly stiffer thank most Sugino's I've tried. I would say it's on par with the Ultegra's crank stiffness.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you guys for all your suggestions regarding double crankset setup.
    Sugino's bit straightforward I found while I found Shimano-SRAM daunting trying to find which type of crankset can be customised 30-46 (for example).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    I found the CX70 to be significantly stiffer thank most Sugino's I've tried. I would say it's on par with the Ultegra's crank stiffness.
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm running a FD-CX70, front derailleur with the Sugino OX601D crankset. I haven't had the pleasure of using a FC-CX70. I can't tell a difference in stiffness between any of the cranks I own, XT, LX, 105, OX601D and the now removed Apex. I do think I can tell the difference between the 172.5mm and 170mm crank lengths though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    While still searching to setup a doublecrank and gear setup, I found Middleburn crankset 30/46 for anyone interested, company based in the UK.

Road / Touring / Cyclo X cranks ‹‹ Middleburn

10/11 speed rings in 30/46 94BCD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Hello, thank you and here you go.

First off, I would like to thank everyone who's contributed to the Vaya Builds thread. I've long lurked here and used the information to build up two of my own Vayas over the past couple of years.

First up, here's my Vaya Ti, set up as my 'road' bike, which means it is has to try and keep up with my buddies on their carbon road bikes one day, then handle some gravel on the following day, and a 400km brevet at the weekend. All in the steep, beautiful surroundings of the Norwegian fjords.

Basically it's a 105 drivetrain (46/34, 11-32) with Spyre brakes and 38mm Compass tires.

Vaya Builds-screen-shot-2016-07-09-07.35.26.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Vaya Builds-vaya_hamock.jpg

Just out exploring some local woods.

Jammin' Econo

Name:	vaya_hamock.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	1080996

Just out exploring some local woods.
    Very nice. And a good reminder to carry my hammock more often.
    Do it however you want to do it. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

mtbr member
    How's the clearance with these? I was reading that those tires can stretch out to 50-52mm.
    There's no problems with clearance. Plenty of clearance with this setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Allright, mounted now on my crimson blue vaya the following:
    - CRANK: Sugino 30/46
    - CASSETTE: Shimano 11-36
    - SHIFTERS (flat handlebar): Shimano XTR SL-M980 Rapidfire
    Kept the FD/RD my stock Shimano 105, and chain KMC10

Problem is now that whenever I shift, it changes 2-3 gears at a time?!

Did I get the wrong shifters? Going on 2 tour in 2 days, so not optimal setup

May be difficult to guess like that I did wrong but any pointers would be welcome, thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2007

May be difficult to guess like that I did wrong but any pointers would be welcome, thanks in advance!
    Pretty sure Shimano Road and MTB 10 speed stuff has different pull ratios.

2011 10 Speed mtn and road STI

mtbr member
    May 2007

That derailleur is not going to work with the mountain shifters. If you're going to stick with the flat bars, you'll need a new derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Vaya Travel

Finally took it on a real trip (IHSMBR)...

Vaya Travel (SS S&S), built for packrafting/packbiking with only one cable (front brake)...

Stan's grail rims for versatility, 2spd kickback coaster brake to eliminate rear brake/shift cables, 32x22 was perfect loaded gear, and kickback gives an overdrive/dh/road gear.

Have road tires, drop bar and stem, CK rear wheel and etap on wide spaced cassette if I ever want to use it as a road bike.

Warbird frame bag was a dead fit.

Vaya Builds-28482264502_2084744be7_k.jpg

g

mtbr member

I've posted before, but here's my Vaya Travel on my most recent tour. Two weeks of bike camping and credit-card touring in the northern Baltics.

Including this trip, this bike has toured across Sweden, Norway, New Zealand, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Ireland, Finland, Estonia and Latvia. I've also done big single-day rides in the USA, Denmark, Turkey, and Serbia.

I'd like to think I'm using it as it was fully intended.

It's the one bike I've owned that's stayed 90% stock over it's life - the original build was so incredibly well thought out that all I've had to change my seatpost/stem/saddle.

(Edit: I've fixed the rear fender line since this picture.)
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That derailleur is not going to work with the mountain shifters. If you're going to stick with the flat bars, you'll need a new derailleur.
    Got it fixed just after. It was as obvious as stated thank you.

Came back from a 2 weeks tour in Brittany France, with my new gearing setup double crank 30x46 and cassette 11-36. I am very pleased with this setup, top and lowest gear was perfect for me- and the middle gearing is great. It offers a very good gearing ratio for touring and I never had to push my bike in the hills... well... may be 1 time but that's nice too

The only sensitive point with this setup is that you need to know how to be gentle with your gears, but that goes without saying.

Human Test Subject
    Vaya Builds-img_20160809_135415961.jpg

New tire week! Initial impressions-

Soma Supple Vitesse EX in the 42c flavor.

I'm glad I got the extra tread model. A 362g (claimed 380) tire doesn't inspire a whole lot of durability confidence. The SL has less tread and is (claimed) 40g lighter.

They're 20 bucks cheaper a piece than Barlow Pass tires. So far the ride seems the same with these cornering a bit better at low pressure. Instead of the herringbone tread that the Compasses have, these have little square cutout things. I'm not sure if they're deep enough to make fart noises in the rain like other sunken treads.

They're slow to stretch so I pumped em up to 75 psi for the night. They're finally at an actual 42c width.

They still fit my SKS fenders.

The gumwall goes too high up/the black part doesn't go down far enough. This might be why the weight is under the claimed 380. It looks strange because I can see the sidewalls looking down while riding. I'm not sure if it exposes more sidewalls during rad turns. Also the black rubber part isn't as even as the Compass tires I've had. This may be how they got the price down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For those of you with a Vaya Travel

Does anyone have pictures of their packing sequence? I'm trying to figure out the right way to get my 57cm into the backpack case. The sticking point right now is the fork: the steerer is too long to fit any way but diagonal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    - for going up hills

About me:
    - OK fit

46/28
    44/28
    44/26

- SunXCD
    - Rene Herse
    - Velo Orange
    - Sugino

I was in a similar position. At nearly 300lbs I was running the "easy" half of the cassette when using the 50t ring on my gravel bike. I wanted 46/30 or 44/28, but I couldn't make it happen without virtually rebuilding the whole drive train. I just picked up a Fargo mainly because of the 42/28 chainrings it came with. Now I can make better use of the cassette. I did a ride this past weekend and hit a downhill doing 28-30 mph and still had 1 more gear, so for me I know that I won't spin out until at least 30 mph. So on flat ground a 42t is plenty tall enough for me. So Just to throw another option out there check Fargo build on salsa's website.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbandt View Post
    I was in a similar position. At nearly 300lbs I was running the "easy" half of the cassette when using the 50t ring on my gravel bike. I wanted 46/30 or 44/28, but I couldn't make it happen without virtually rebuilding the whole drive train. I just picked up a Fargo mainly because of the 42/28 chainrings it came with. Now I can make better use of the cassette. I did a ride this past weekend and hit a downhill doing 28-30 mph and still had 1 more gear, so for me I know that I won't spin out until at least 30 mph. So on flat ground a 42t is plenty tall enough for me. So Just to throw another option out there check Fargo build on salsa's website.

I got my Vaya for a very good price off CL but if I were looking at new I'd get a frameset and build it to suit as I always find things I want to change in the off the shelf build. Maybe I'm old or way out of shape but I just don't get the current gearing on bicycles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I got my Vaya for a very good price off CL but if I were looking at new I'd get a frameset and build it to suit as I always find things I want to change in the off the shelf build. Maybe I'm old or way out of shape but I just don't get the current gearing on bicycles.
    I just assume most are in way better shape than I. LOL Personally I don't ever really see me wanting more than a 46t big ring and 42 is working good now.
    I know I was seriously considering a new vaya before I got the fargo, but that 50/34 was my main deterrent.

Members who have read this thread: 165