Vaya Builds

Printable View

• 11-28-2011
    tojnom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    That every time I have tried to make shimano cassettes work with campy shifters its so bad on the stand I would never even try to ride the bike. The only way I can see to make the 2 work is change the spacing of the cassette or the cable pull of the derailleur. I couldn't begin to think the crappy shifts that happen to be acceptable.

Maybe with the 2012 Campy parts, you can mix & match a little easier. I purchased 2012 Centaur kit & it works flawlessly w/ a 2011 Ultegra 10-speed cassette. Rode 20 miles of hilly terrain in the rain yesterday (mud, gravel, asphalt) & it shifted perfectly. Go figure. :skep:
  • 11-28-2011
    AndrewJL
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    What size frame?

Any more pics of your bike? The bike is mostly in its own shadow.

Thanks!

its a 58
    I have a few this one is right after I built it
  • 12-04-2011
    yourideit
    1 Attachment(s)
    i seriously thought about going the campy route. but, after thinking more about what i want to do on this bike, i chose to go full battle mode. here's what came this weekend. it allready looks fun. never built a bike from the ground up like this. getting the frame faced and chased this week and having the headset installed. can't warrant buying those tools. another box of goodies is on order and then it's off to the races with the motel room build. all i've decided on for wheels so far is king or 240s hubs. haven't figured out the rim choice yet. any thoughts?

force shifters
    x0 cranks 42/28
    pg1070 12-36
    ritchey 4 axis
    king headset
    masterpiece post
  • 12-04-2011
    cowboygrrl
    1 Attachment(s)
    I went tubeless for the 1st time with WTB's new TCS wheels, and Vulpine SL TCS tires; 1.9, the max on a Vaya.
  • 12-04-2011
    tojnom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yourideit View Post
    i seriously thought about going the campy route. but, after thinking more about what i want to do on this bike, i chose to go full battle mode. here's what came this weekend. it allready looks fun. never built a bike from the ground up like this. getting the frame faced and chased this week and having the headset installed. can't warrant buying those tools. another box of goodies is on order and then it's off to the races with the motel room build. all i've decided on for wheels so far is king or 240s hubs. haven't figured out the rim choice yet. any thoughts?

force shifters
    x0 cranks 42/28
    pg1070 12-36
    ritchey 4 axis
    king headset
    masterpiece post

Stan's ZTR Crest or maybe a stock wheelset - American Classic MTB 29er Tubeless Wheels??? The AM 29er rims look pretty slick, not sure how they perform.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...l4p-670-75.jpg
  • 12-13-2011
    crazylemurboy
    Greetings all!

First time poster, long time rider. I recently built up my Salsa Vaya, here is the layout.

Frame: 60 cm Orange Vaya
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 series
    Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood stainless 111 mm JIS
    Cranks: Sugino RD2
    Chainring: Sugino Standard 38T
    Sprocket: Surly Stainless 20T
    Chain: SRAM PC-870
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road
    Wheels: Handbuilt!
    Front: 700c 36H Velocity Chukker non-machined sidewalls, DT double butted spokes, Shimano Alfine DS501 dynamo hub, Avid G2 Rotor 160 mm
    Rear: 700c 36H Velocity Chukker non-machined sidewalls, DT double butted spokes, Nuvinci N360 CVT, Avid G2 Rotor 160 mm
    Tires: 700x32c Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    Stem: Allsop Softride Stem
    Handlebars: Nitto Randonneur D135 45 cm width
    Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST #7 elastomer
    Saddle: ISM Adamo Tyhpoon
    Pedals: Avenir pedals toe clips & straps
    Fenders: Bontrager NCS
    Cables: Jagwire Ripcord
    Rear Rack: Sunlite mousetrap rack
    Computer: Cateye
    Lights: B&M senso lights, Cyo N plus for front
    Seatbag: Bontrager
    Panniers: Ortlieb Back Roller classics
    Chain Tensioner: Surly Singleator
    Airzound horn to keep the drivers awake

http://i.imgur.com/AN7fBh.jpg
    Commuting mode!

http://i.imgur.com/ph8OFh.jpg
    Morning commute

I've got a few parts coming UPS to give her a spruce up. SKS P50 Fenders, 700 x 38 Vittoria Randonneur Hypers, Surly 42T SS chainring and 22T cog, and a SRAM PC-890 chain since my 870 is stretching out already... I'm a destroyer of chains. This will be the 3rd chain this year.
  • 12-13-2011
    cda 455
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crazylemurboy View Post
    Greetings all!

First time poster, long time rider. I recently built up my Salsa Vaya, here is the layout.

Frame: 60 cm Orange Vaya
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 series
    Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood stainless 111 mm JIS
    Cranks: Sugino RD2
    Chainring: Sugino Standard 38T
    Sprocket: Surly Stainless 20T
    Chain: SRAM PC-870
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road
    Wheels: Handbuilt!
    Front: 700c 36H Velocity Chukker non-machined sidewalls, DT double butted spokes, Shimano Alfine DS501 dynamo hub, Avid G2 Rotor 160 mm
    Rear: 700c 36H Velocity Chukker non-machined sidewalls, DT double butted spokes, Nuvinci N360 CVT, Avid G2 Rotor 160 mm
    Tires: 700x32c Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    Stem: Allsop Softride Stem
    Handlebars: Nitto Randonneur D135 45 cm width
    Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST #7 elastomer
    Saddle: ISM Adamo Tyhpoon
    Pedals: Avenir pedals toe clips & straps
    Fenders: Bontrager NCS
    Cables: Jagwire Ripcord
    Rear Rack: Sunlite mousetrap rack
    Computer: Cateye
    Lights: B&M senso lights, Cyo N plus for front
    Seatbag: Bontrager
    Panniers: Ortlieb Back Roller classics
    Chain Tensioner: Surly Singleator
    Airzound horn to keep the drivers awake

http://i.imgur.com/AN7fBh.jpg
    Commuting mode!

http://i.imgur.com/ph8OFh.jpg
    Morning commute

I've got a few parts coming UPS to give her a spruce up. SKS P50 Fenders, 700 x 38 Vittoria Randonneur Hypers, Surly 42T SS chainring and 22T cog, and a SRAM PC-890 chain since my 870 is stretching out already... I'm a destroyer of chains. This will be the 3rd chain this year.

Nice set up!

What made you go with Phil Wood BB?

I'm thinking about going Phil Wood on hubs and BB.
  • 12-14-2011
    crazylemurboy
    Thanks for the kudos! I am planning on upgrading a few things as time passes, but gotta stay within the monthly bike upgrade budget (which is becoming increasingly more generous).

I picked the Phil Wood because at the time I purchased it I was riding a 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, which I blew the bottom bracket out on. It was Swiss threaded, and my options were new bike, or Phil Wood bracket. I crashed my Motobecane a few months back (I'm pretty rough on equipment... lol) and I managed to salvage a few parts, namely the pedals/cranks/bracket/rack. The bracket was also mentioned as being 'bombproof' and my Clydesdale body appreciates that. It is a great bracket. It doesn't cost significantly more a high quality Shimano or Campy bracket, fits JIS cranks, and is butter smooth. The other advantage is the mounting rings, which can be replaced to fit any bike. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a long term investment.
  • 12-17-2011
    Hvnfun
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is a photo with the new 1.9 Kenda Karma's
  • 12-18-2011
    xhx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hvnfun View Post
    Here is a photo with the new 1.9 Kenda Karma's

Have you noticed any frame rub with those? The outside knobs would buzz pretty bad when I tried them. Nothing a grinder didn't fix :D
  • 12-18-2011
    bobzcheez
    2 Attachment(s)
    New Salsa Vaya
    Here's my Salsa Vaya 2012 build. Back story: I actually bought a used LaCruz this summer and found it too small after buying a Fargo, so I changed the frames on it. (I have the LaCruz up for sale in classifieds.)

The Vaya is mellower riding than the LaCruz which I miss, but the Vaya fits me like a glove. I am using it or the Fargo for commuting to work in Denver-- 22 miles roundtrip. Both bikes are BLAST to ride.

The build is Salsa Vaya frame-57cm
    Shimano 105 group
    BB7 disc brakes
    Brooks saddle and a Carradice saddle bag
    Almost matching Salsa stem (I know it's been recalled and Salsa has been contacted, I am a risk-taker:thumbsup:)

Bryan
  • 12-19-2011
    Hvnfun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xhx View Post
    Have you noticed any frame rub with those? The outside knobs would buzz pretty bad when I tried them. Nothing a grinder didn't fix :D

The rear tires fit fine, I had problems with the front and even after grinding down they still rubbed. So I went with a Salsa CroMoto 26" 425mm fork, tire fit fine and I bet I could get a 2.35 in there now.
  • 12-20-2011
    dickyelsdon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I am just about to buy a Vaya frame but I need some help. I have a campy kit and I can't figure out what to do about wheels. We tried a campy freehub on a DT hub today at my local shop and it ends up being 137mm. So thats out now I'm thinking Mavic? I don't want to run a Jtek shiftmate becasue I want to run Gore cables.

If you've not found a solution yet look at Hope hubs. Their new Pro2EVO uses the same free hub as their Pro3 road hubs, which... have a Campagnolo free hub option!

I have the pro3 and the switch from Shimano to Campagnolo only requires you to swap drive side spacer, not both like DT, so odds are the EVO should work.
  • 12-20-2011
    nachtjager
    DT 240s with athena 11 on my bike, no issues at all.

not sure if my hub measures 137mm or not but i can tell you that 5000km of dirt, tarmac and light xc has not made my vaya blink!
  • 12-20-2011
    esd
    Very nice bobzcheez!
  • 12-22-2011
    crazylemurboy
    :eek: I could never imagine taking a grinder to my frame... but I treat my bike like a baby.
  • 12-23-2011
    cendres
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crazylemurboy View Post
    :eek: I could never imagine taking a grinder to my frame... but I treat my bike like a baby.

I'm quite certain he took the grinder to the tires' side knobs, not the frame.
  • 12-24-2011
    san0
    Happy Holidays Vaya Owners Around The Globe
    Hi all, this is my first post here! After being inspired by all your rides, I have finally got a dream bike - and in time for Christmas too!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...0/DSC02191.JPG

Specs of Build:

54cm Vaya frame and forks - 700c wheels.
    Shimano XT Disc Hubs, 36 hole, Centre Lock & Shimano 160mm rotors.
    Stainless Spokes.
    Exal LX 17 Alloy double wall rims, 36 hole with rim braking surface - hand built
    Schwalbe inner tubes and Marathon Plus tyres 700 x 32c - reflective walls
    Shimano Tiagra triple STI 9 speed.
    Shimano Tiagra triple front derailleur.
    Shimano LX Long cage rear deraileur.
    SRAM 9 speed 32-11 Cassette.
    Shimano 9 speed chain & quick link.
    Shimano triple chainset 50, 39, 30 & bottom bracket - 170mm cranks.
    Shimano Cable Disc Brakes.
    Salsa Bell Lap Moto Ace - 46cm cross bars.
    Bike Ribbon Eleganza Bar Tape
    Cane Creek CrossTop in-line levers
    110mm Easton over-sized stem, Nitto shims to 26mm
    Cane Creek S3 headset
    27.2mm Seatpost & Salsa liplock binder.
    San Marco Rolls Saddle
    SKS Chromoplastic Mudguards
    Madison Summit Pannier Rack Silver
    Lots of 3M protection frame tape
  • 12-24-2011
    LFJ
    Very nice.
  • 12-28-2011
    ianick
    My (58cm) Vaya had a nice Christmas. It's now sporting a large Revelate Designs Tangle bag.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...2/IMAG0445.jpg

First gravel ride was yesterday. The bag is fantastic. Both sides are easily opened and closed while riding. And it holds much more than I thought. Fit and finish are top notch as well. Extremely pleased with it so far.
  • 12-28-2011
    CBizzie
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just finished my first mini tour - Tempe AZ to Tucson, with an overnight stop off at Picacho Peak...here's the rig at the destination spot...I am sure it's familiar to all from the Old Pueblo....:thumbsup:
  • 12-28-2011
    GRAVELBIKE
  • 12-28-2011
    ybtodd
    Can anyone comment in Vaya sizing? I'm currently selling my two older bikes to get one "do all" bike that is a better fit for my aging back (ie I want more upright). My 19" YBBeat was purchased about 15 years ago when I could handle a more aggressive position. Sadly it hasn't been ridden much at all. I also got a Casseroll a few years ago (the ginger beer version with straight fork) in a 61cm and that feels just a tad long for me. I'm 6'1" (used to be 6'2" - that's what happens when you hit 50), and have fairly long legs so standover isn't an issue. For a Vaya I'm thinking either 58 or 60. I like the idea of the 58.5cm TT on the 58 but worry that I won't be able to get the bars as high as I'd like - though looks like they tend to ship with a long steerer.
  • 12-28-2011
    crazylemurboy
    ybtodd - I am 6'4" and young. I barely fit on my 60cm. Standover height is not an issue with these frames - seems like they size them according to TT length. I would advise you going for the 58 cm for less reach. The steerer tube is quite long from the factory, and the headtube is also very long. I have only 5 mm of spacers under my stem and the handlebars are about even with the seat. Stock, it was way above the seat.
  • 12-28-2011
    ybtodd
    thanks, that's what I was figuring. I just tore down my YBBeat and looked at the the Casseroll as well. The top tube is just too long the the 61cm Casseroll so I think that the 58.5cm top tube on the Vaya would be about right and I can dial in the bar height with spacers and stem.