Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 2388

Thread: Vaya Builds

  1. #51
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    My new Salsa Vaya AIR

    Build list:

    Vaya frame (55) with S&S couplers installed & painted by daVinci Designs
    Cane Creek S-3 headset
    Wheelset: Bontrager Duster TLR rims (32 hole) laced to DT Swiss (Onyx rear, Stout front) hubs
    Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires
    Avid BB7 road calipers
    Alligator "Bulletproof" compression-less cable/housing set (Great cable set for BB7s!)
    Sram Rival Compact Crankset (34/50)
    Time ATAC Titan Carbon pedals (found for $90 - mislabeled?)
    Ultegra 10-speed shifters (like new on Craigslist for $125!)
    IRD 11-34 10-speed Cassette
    Wipperman 10s chain
    Salsa Bell Lap bars w/ Bonty stem (105 x 7deg)
    Cinelli gel bar tape
    Dura Ace front, XT rear derailleur
    Specialized carbon/zerts seatpost (from my Tarmac)
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Rack: Tubus Cargo (to be added)
    Bags: Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus (to be added)
    Fenders - probably SKS chromoplastics... 45s or 50s still to be determined...

    weight w/ cages and no bags = 26.5 lbs.

    EDIT: I just noticed that my cable adjusters on the downtube are upside down
    That's fixed...

    S
    Wow... Good job man. You did that one up right! Those S&S couplers are the perfect addition to the Vaya. I bet you're loving that bike...

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevereeneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    662
    I'm currently in The Netherlands touring on it! It is AMAZING!
    Thanks
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

  3. #53
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    Bought a full build from MWC in Lincoln today! Very excited to hit the trails with it next week after I move tomorrow.
    Congratulations!! That's awesome. I have a feeling those guys down at MWC are gonna' sell a few Vayas this season...

    Enjoy the new ride. I'm sure I'll see ya' on the road.

    Cheers,
    MG

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Congratulations!! That's awesome. I have a feeling those guys down at MWC are gonna' sell a few Vayas this season...

    Enjoy the new ride. I'm sure I'll see ya' on the road.

    Cheers,
    MG
    Well, they only have a 60 left in stock and I believe it was Nate that mentioned that Vayas are back ordered until the end of the summer so it may be a while before they move a few new ones. Not sure if that was the case for both the frameset and complete build or just the build.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,723
    There is a boat on it's way with Vayas for QBP. ETA stateside is May 31. God willing, my LBS can get an order in once QBP has them in stock and then hopefully I'll have mine not much sooner after...

  6. #56
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    Well, they only have a 60 left in stock and I believe it was Nate that mentioned that Vayas are back ordered until the end of the summer so it may be a while before they move a few new ones. Not sure if that was the case for both the frameset and complete build or just the build.
    Yeah, hopefully he has been ordering heavy on them... :-)

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    Hi,

    I just ordered a Vaya frame-set for my future commuter and now I'm thinking about the other parts to complete the bike.

    "Of course" I would like to use the Avid BB7 disc brakes.
    Because I did not found any specifications for this on the Salsa website, I would like to ask if it is possible to use a 185mm disc on the front wheel or if the fork is suitable for 160mm discs only.

    Thanks in advance for your advice
    Regards

    Gerd

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by DeOppa
    Hi,

    I just ordered a Vaya frame-set for my future commuter and now I'm thinking about the other parts to complete the bike.

    "Of course" I would like to use the Avid BB7 disc brakes.
    Because I did not found any specifications for this on the Salsa website, I would like to ask if it is possible to use a 185mm disc on the front wheel or if the fork is suitable for 160mm discs only.

    Thanks in advance for your advice
    Regards

    Gerd
    I'd imagine 185 would work with the right adapter - however, the 160 is plenty break even for big riders (I'm 250 lbs).

    When I test rode mine before I bought it I commented to one of the guys at my LBS on how there was a good amount of fork shudder when heavy braking with the front. His response to my comment was "That's a lot of brake for that fork". IMO the BB7 160 is almost overkill already and there is probably no need for a 185.


    Went out for a quick ride this morning - love the bike. Will probably get a different seatpost since the stock kalloy is radiused and has no angle adjustment and I would like to tip the saddle just a tad fwd.

    Here it is in it's natural habitat


  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    257
    murtaghstyle,

    You're the first guy to post pics of a Vaya complete. As someone wanting a Vaya but debating whether to go with the stock build or custom build, can you tell us what you think of your bike in its stock configuration?

    Specifically:

    -How do the Tiagra brifters feel when used with the disc brakes? Overall shifting quality and gearing?
    - It looks like you upgraded to BB7s. Did you find the BB5s lacking?
    -Besides the seatpost, would you find it necessary to upgrade anything if what you want is a quality, dependable commuter?
    -do you find the stock wheelset and cranks firm or flexy?
    -Is the Formula rear hub in coasting mode silent, or does it make a nice buzz to let others know you're coming? (for me important)

    I'm tempted to go with a custom build with SRAM Rival, but don't know if it's really worth the extra $$$., and can't try before I buy..

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    murtaghstyle,

    You're the first guy to post pics of a Vaya complete. As someone wanting a Vaya but debating whether to go with the stock build or custom build, can you tell us what you think of your bike in its stock configuration?

    Specifically:

    -How do the Tiagra brifters feel when used with the disc brakes? Overall shifting quality and gearing?
    - It looks like you upgraded to BB7s. Did you find the BB5s lacking?
    -Besides the seatpost, would you find it necessary to upgrade anything if what you want is a quality, dependable commuter?
    -do you find the stock wheelset and cranks firm or flexy?
    -Is the Formula rear hub in coasting mode silent, or does it make a nice buzz to let others know you're coming? (for me important)

    I'm tempted to go with a custom build with SRAM Rival, but don't know if it's really worth the extra $$$., and can't try before I buy..
    Tiagra STI shifters exceeded my expectations - shifting is good. I suppose shifting in the back could be a bit better with an XT der that can be upgraded for relatively cheap. The drivetrain in general performs quite well. If I was building up a frame I would look at the SRAM Apex group (since I'm partial to SRAM to begin with) but I don't regret going with the complete build. I can stand a up and hammer with my 250lbs behind me and the bike feels nice and solid, No noticeable flex.

    I used to have the mountain BB7s on my 29er MTB and the road ones feel a little different. No better or worse but you can tell the difference in the amount of cable pull. Just have to get used to that. I still have the BB5 on the vaya (not sure what made you think I upgraded to BB7s). The BB7s are quicker to adjust but other wise it's the same brake as the BB5. In fact some folks argue the BB5 (when set up correctly) is a better 'feeling' brake since it's more solid than the BB7 that has the second 'floating' adjustable pad. I believe mgersib is one of those so maybe he can share his experiences.All I've ever used are Mountain BB7s and Road BB5s so I don't think it would be a very accurate comparison from my POV.

    Few parts are kinda heavy so if you wanted to drop some weight a new cassette and seatpost would be a good place to start. Regardless, the bike feels lighter than it's actual weight. I was able to pick up some good speed on the flats with it and with good acceleration.

    I also felt a bit stretched out with the stock stem. I come form the MTB world so the riding position felt a bit more aggressive than I prefer. I'm a big guy so if I ride for a while in a very aggressive position I start to have lower back pains. I may go with a shorter stem and the poco bars next but that is personal preference on how you want the bike to fit for your style/body type/purpose.

    Wheelset is one of the best I've ridden in a stock build bike. Formula hubs are quiet and Salsa hit the nail in the head with the rim and tire choice. You could go with a lighter touring tire if you wanted to shed some weight (conti top contact would be a good choice if you can find them at a good price) or a schwalbe marathon.

    I'll have to play with the seatpost a little bit, there may be some felxibility. Had to run out today after my ride so I didn't have enough time to tinker with it. At first sight though, it doesn't seem to have a lot of adjustability.

    IMO - all you need out of the box is your pedal of choice, rack, and fenders for a solid commuter. It's a great complete build.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    257
    murtaghstyle,

    Thanks for taking the time posting about your bike. I especially took note on your comments regarding the more aggressive riding position. I've felt the same way on the bikes I've been able to test ride, and I don't think they were set up too racy, either. Ultimately, this will probably be the deciding factor for me on what my commuter bike will be.

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    murtaghstyle,

    Thanks for taking the time posting about your bike. I especially took note on your comments regarding the more aggressive riding position. I've felt the same way on the bikes I've been able to test ride, and I don't think they were set up too racy, either. Ultimately, this will probably be the deciding factor for me on what my commuter bike will be.
    I think either a shorter or steeper stem is all you need for a more upright position. The headtube is already tall enough so a small tweak is probably sufficient. Again, I'm not a roadie by nature so it may be just fine for you with the stock set up. I'll make sure to report back after I tinker with it. I'll tell you that the feel of the bike in it's curent set up is perfect to stand up and hammer. I usually dread that on my MTB but I hammered for a good 5-6 miles non stop and felt awesome.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    @ murtaghstyle

    Thanks for your info about the brakes. As I am almost 200 lbs I rather tend to technical overkill solutions (Better safe than sorry!).
    It's good to hear that the 160mm disc is "sufficient" enough.

    Regards
    Gerd

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Anyone else have a stock build?

    I just hit about 50mi or so on mine and I started to hear some creaking sounds coming from the BB area when I stand and hammer. Probably it has something to do with my size/weight but I'm not sure if it's the BB and cranks that can't handle my weight or if it's coming from the frame.

    Suggestions on what could be causing it?

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    136

    Here's My Build

    I've got almost 500 miles on mine and it is a very, very nice bike. My main use is gravel and pavement. Also thought I'd share a pic from yesterday's sunrise and part of my 120 mile gravel and pavement Vaya adventure.

    Key Components:

    Salsa Woodchipper Bars - I love these and now have them on all 4 of my drop bar bikes.

    Seatpost - Eriksen Ti - Oh yeah!

    Group - SRAM Rival 10 spd with D-Ace 12-27 Cassette and a FSA Cross 36-46 cross crank

    Wheels: DT-Swiss 240s with Edge Composite 29er rims. I'm using Conti 42c Cyclocross Speed tires.

    Bags: Epic Designs

    Jason, aka Gnat
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya_mtbr.jpg  

    Vaya Builds-vaya_mtbr_sunrise.jpg  

    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    Mine's been done for 2 hrs! Pictures tomorrow

    56cm frame
    hope pro II/stans crest tubeless or dt 240/ambrosio crono tubulars
    ultegra 10 speed STI
    ultegra front derailleur
    xtr rear derailleur
    fsa carbon compact double
    11-34 ird cassette
    x10sl kmc chain
    cane creek s8 headset
    thomson elite post
    slr titanium saddle
    truvative stem
    woodchippers

    Like it so far (in neighborhood), plan to ride to Madison this weekend, Dirty Kanza next week, and trans wisconsin is soon too, so we will be getting real acquainted quick.

    I'll be honest that some of the weights that others have posted are making me kind of nervous... might be better if I just don't weigh mine! I'm going to be sad if it weighs more than my mountain bike- but obviously the overall weight doesn't matter much since I'll be adding somewhere between 10 and 50 lbs to it for most rides anyways and a lighter frame probably wouldn't allow that. That said, the bike it's sort of "replacing" was under 20 lbs.
    Last edited by 2silent; 05-28-2010 at 09:38 PM.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    here are pictures- see my blog for a write-up of my first ride with many more pictures etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-1.jpg  

    Vaya Builds-2.jpg  

    Vaya Builds-3.jpg  

    Vaya Builds-4.jpg  

    Last edited by 2silent; 05-31-2010 at 11:33 PM.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    Mine's been done for 2 hrs! Pictures tomorrow

    56cm frame
    hope pro II/stans crest tubeless or dt 240/ambrosio crono tubulars
    ultegra 10 speed STI
    ultegra front derailleur
    xtr rear derailleur
    fsa carbon compact double
    11-34 ird cassette
    x10sl kmc chain
    cane creek s8 headset
    thomson elite post
    slr titanium saddle
    truvative stem
    woodchippers

    Like it so far (in neighborhood), plan to ride to Madison this weekend, Dirty Kanza next week, and trans wisconsin is soon too, so we will be getting real acquainted quick.

    I'll be honest that some of the weights that others have posted are making me kind of nervous... might be better if I just don't weigh mine! I'm going to be sad if it weighs more than my mountain bike- but obviously the overall weight doesn't matter much since I'll be adding somewhere between 10 and 50 lbs to it for most rides anyways and a lighter frame probably wouldn't allow that. That said, the bike it's sort of "replacing" was under 20 lbs.

    Mines probably one of the lighter vaya builds at 24.98lbs for a 58.5
    For me it replaced a 19lb IF crown jewel. The salsa is definitely heavier but the lower gearing, stable geometry, and far more comfortable riding position more than make up for the extra pounds.
    Granted I could spend more money and drop maybe 1 lb off my bike but lets face it 24.9 vs 23.9 ain't gonna make that much of a difference. The weight seems to be in the frame and fork and the brakes. (The steerer tube is 20g/inch and I still have most of it.).
    What the vaya world needs now is road levered xtr hydros. That would help a lot.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    I have xtr brakes on my Mamasita- agree they are awesome

    Can't imagine what Shimano would want for those.

    I may get the guts up to weigh it today- my ride this weekend went so well I'm pretty sure I don't care anymore if it's scary heavy. I did blog about my first ride experience.

    edit- can't say much about the accuracy of my scale, but I think I'm in the 23 lb range +/- half a lb. It is the same weight almost exactly as my mamasita with front suspension fork.
    Last edited by 2silent; 06-01-2010 at 12:10 PM.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    62
    Been checking out the Vaya's for a while, seems to be everything I want right now. Looking at ordering a 56. Hadn't seen much about toe overlap so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has had any? Some people say it shouldn't be an issue or that it doesn't matter, but I prefer not to have it at all. I'll be running 172.5mm cranks, 10-10.5 shoes w/ 35mm SB8s (but would always like the option of going to the largest tires possible). Any input?

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    I have none with a 45c tire up front and 175mm cranks

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    I have none with a 45c tire up front and 175mm cranks
    On a 56?

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CMu_dogtag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Borison
    Been checking out the Vaya's for a while, seems to be everything I want right now. Looking at ordering a 56. Hadn't seen much about toe overlap so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has had any? Some people say it shouldn't be an issue or that it doesn't matter, but I prefer not to have it at all. I'll be running 172.5mm cranks, 10-10.5 shoes w/ 35mm SB8s (but would always like the option of going to the largest tires possible). Any input?
    I have a size 55 frame, running Conti Top Contacts 700x47 and wear a size 11 shoe. Occasionally the very tip of my shoes will brush the front tire but nothing bad.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    yes, I have a 56

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevereeneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    662

    ...Just the fenders

    Quote Originally Posted by Borison
    Been checking out the Vaya's for a while, seems to be everything I want right now. Looking at ordering a 56. Hadn't seen much about toe overlap so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has had any? Some people say it shouldn't be an issue or that it doesn't matter, but I prefer not to have it at all. I'll be running 172.5mm cranks, 10-10.5 shoes w/ 35mm SB8s (but would always like the option of going to the largest tires possible). Any input?
    I've got a size 55 with Schwalbe Marathon Cross 700x40 tires and I clip the fenders with size 10 shoes... I haven't noticed anything without fenders - but I haven't ridden it with fenders in a while... It is currently still in the box from my trip so when I re-build it I'll see.

    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

  26. #76
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by CMu_dogtag
    I have a size 55 frame, running Conti Top Contacts 700x47 and wear a size 11 shoe. Occasionally the very tip of my shoes will brush the front tire but nothing bad.
    Exactly... And with 40c Schwalbe Marathon Extremes on my Vaya, overlap isn't an issue at all with my size 10.5/44.5 feet. Go a little bigger on the tires and you might get some light brushing of the toes, but it wouldn't be anything major.

  27. #77
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    here are pictures- see my blog for a write-up of my first ride with many more pictures etc.
    That bike looks good...

  28. #78
    Cheesiest
    Reputation: intheways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCircles
    Here are some pictures of my Vaya. It's a 60cm... I'm 6 3.5" tall and have a 36" pant inseam. The bike fits me perfectly and has been a joy to ride.

    These were taken while riding a 400K brevet last Saturday:





    And here is one of the Vaya in commuter mode:



    This frameset was built up with SRAM Rival components, BB7 brakes, Salsa S.U.L stem/Bell Lap bar, Cane Creek 100 headset, Salsa Shaft seat post, Brooks Swift Ti seat...and the wheels are Hadley hubs w/Stan's Flow rims. I too am running Schwable Marathon Extreme 40's. (Awesome tires...even on pavement!)

    I added a Tubus Cargo Expedition rack along with Deuter Panniers or an Axiom trunk bag - depending on what I might be doing.

    Salsa has really hit the mark with this bike. As soon as I read about it I ordered one and it's turning out to be one of the best all around bikes that I have ever owned.

    Gravel/Ultra Distance/Commuting - all good!
    Your bike reminds me of a BMW GS1200A. Nice looking bike!

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    That bike looks good...

    thanks man- it's looking even better to me now... raised the bars a bit, pared the equipment down to what is really needed and swapped to a comfier saddle for trans wisconsin.

    Expect some more pictures of it after that!

    Only thing I'm not entirely convinced of right now is the gearing... I really like the 11-34 cassette for this bike (it's nice to not have to shift up front for most rollers), but I'm not sure I really need a 34/50 setup in the front. I may wind up running something more like 36 or 38 for the small ring.


    these are great bikes

    -Drew

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    thanks man- it's looking even better to me now... raised the bars a bit, pared the equipment down to what is really needed and swapped to a comfier saddle for trans wisconsin.

    Expect some more pictures of it after that!

    Only thing I'm not entirely convinced of right now is the gearing... I really like the 11-34 cassette for this bike (it's nice to not have to shift up front for most rollers), but I'm not sure I really need a 34/50 setup in the front. I may wind up running something more like 36 or 38 for the small ring.
    these are great bikes
    -Drew
    on gearing: After putting a couple hundred miles on my vaya I am also starting to think that a 36/48 cross crank with an 11/34 in the back would be the hot ticket. I currently have 11/32 and 34/50.

  31. #81
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    thanks man- it's looking even better to me now... raised the bars a bit, pared the equipment down to what is really needed and swapped to a comfier saddle for trans wisconsin.

    Expect some more pictures of it after that!

    Only thing I'm not entirely convinced of right now is the gearing... I really like the 11-34 cassette for this bike (it's nice to not have to shift up front for most rollers), but I'm not sure I really need a 34/50 setup in the front. I may wind up running something more like 36 or 38 for the small ring.


    these are great bikes

    -Drew
    Interesting you mention the gearing up-front... I ended up going with a 36/50 in the front, myself. I toggle between a 11/32 and a 12/25 cassette in the rear, depending on where I'm riding. I actually did the Dirty Kanza 200 with the 12/25 and didn't really need much lower gears than I had, but I suspect for the multi-day affair you're going to be into with TransWisconsin, you'll definitely want the lower gears. I bet a 36 would set you up right... But you're right, they really nailed it with the Vaya. The ride and handling of the frameset are really spectacular, and for the price, it's amazingly tough to beat.

    Good luck this weekend, Drew! I may see you up there. I'll be camping with the Salsa crew up in the Cable area, so we're hoping to see the TransWisconsin racers as you guys roll through there.

    Cheers,
    MG

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks for everybody's input. I pulled the trigger on a 56, should be here in about a week. Now I'm wondering about tires and running tires w/ fenders. It sounds like most everybody is running anything from 40s all the way up to 47s. I thought I saw somewhere that the Vaya would take a 42 max if you're running fenders. Any truth to this?

    Now for something completely different.... Has anybody tried putting a fat 650b tire/wheelset on a Vaya yet? I'm not really interested in running 650s, but I'd like to see what they look like or if they even fit. There's photos around the web of a LaCruz fitted with the b's and it looks kind of cool. It'd be sweet to have a super versatile bike a bit more versatile.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Interesting you mention the gearing up-front... I ended up going with a 36/50 in the front, myself. I toggle between a 11/32 and a 12/25 cassette in the rear, depending on where I'm riding. I actually did the Dirty Kanza 200 with the 12/25 and didn't really need much lower gears than I had, but I suspect for the multi-day affair you're going to be into with TransWisconsin, you'll definitely want the lower gears. I bet a 36 would set you up right... But you're right, they really nailed it with the Vaya. The ride and handling of the frameset are really spectacular, and for the price, it's amazingly tough to beat.

    Good luck this weekend, Drew! I may see you up there. I'll be camping with the Salsa crew up in the Cable area, so we're hoping to see the TransWisconsin racers as you guys roll through there.

    Cheers,
    MG

    Gonna be there Monday/Tuesday? lol, that's a lot of riding to get to where ya'll will be!

    I have a 12/25 and 11/23 cassettes laying around too that are "extra" now that I am runnin my jake the snake single speed only (which is pretty great too btw)

    The 'normal' setup for my vaya will be the 12/25 on my tubular wheels with tufo dry plus 32s rather than the stans set with the specialized tires in my pictures (which is borrowed from my mamasita). Regardless, the 34 is too small up front gearing wise and I bet it would shift better with less of a jump.


    so far as the 650b and tire/fender questions- I've no idea. I've got plenty of room with 45s/42s on my bike (looks about perfect to me), but I've never been one for fenders. The 650b thing is an interesting idea, but I really can't see myself riding this anywhere I couldn't ride it with the tires I have now.

  34. #84
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    742
    I just bought a Vaya this weekend. Its replacing my commuter/city bike that got stolen a couple weeks ago.
    I think its probably one of the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Its really nice down in the drops.

    <a href="http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/simon_suster/?action=view&current=SalsaVaya.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/simon_suster/SalsaVaya.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
    Whiskey

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Your bike reminds me of a BMW GS1200A. Nice looking bike!
    Belated thanks for the comments on my Vaya...

    It's turning out to be the bike of choice for just about anything these days. Most of the other bikes in my stable have been collecting dust.

    It was the ultimate setup for the DK200 - which was the the original purpose of the build in the first place.

  36. #86
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,220
    Here's a review by Salsa Cycles sponsored rider, Matt Gersib, on the Vaya for anyone wondering about this rig: http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/201...cles-vaya.html
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

  37. #87
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Here's a review by Salsa Cycles sponsored rider, Matt Gersib, on the Vaya for anyone wondering about this rig: http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/201...cles-vaya.html
    Thanks for the opportunity to write this and submit it for your site, Guitar Ted.

    Cheers,
    MG

  38. #88
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCircles
    ...Salsa has really hit the mark with this bike. As soon as I read about it I ordered one and it's turning out to be one of the best all around bikes that I have ever owned.

    Gravel/Ultra Distance/Commuting - all good!
    I believe you and I met during the Dirty Kanza 200... If you're who I'm thinking of, it was a pleasure meeting and having the opportunity to ride with you for a while. You rode great out there.

    Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-mg_checkpoint2.jpg  


  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    Hi,
    and now for something completely different...

    Unlike most of the guys (and girls?) showing their more sportive Vayas here before, I decided to build it up as a comfortable city bike in a slight retro look.
    Yesterday it was finished for a first test ride and some quick shots in the evening sun.
    It proved to be a very smooth ride due to the upright bar position, the Brooks Flyer saddle and the absolutely silent Alfine hub gear.
    Hope you enjoy it! I do!








    (with the skyline of the city of Frankfurt in the hazy background)

    Regards from Germany
    Gerd

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    189
    Gnat/Jason,

    What size is your Vaya?

    Can anyone post side view photos of a 57 complete? Those of you that have a 57, what's your inseam? Thanks
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salsa Cycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    798

    My Vaya is a 57

    Quote Originally Posted by shile
    Gnat/Jason,

    What size is your Vaya?

    Can anyone post side view photos of a 57 complete? Those of you that have a 57, what's your inseam? Thanks
    Shile, my Vaya is a 57. I checked out your photos too. Awesome stuff.

    Gnat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-vaya_side_profile.jpg  

    Last edited by Salsa Cycles; 07-20-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added image
    Adventure by Bike

    Check out our blog!

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by DeOppa
    Hi,
    and now for something completely different...

    Unlike most of the guys (and girls?) showing their more sportive Vayas here before, I decided to build it up as a comfortable city bike in a slight retro look.
    Yesterday it was finished for a first test ride and some quick shots in the evening sun.
    It proved to be a very smooth ride due to the upright bar position, the Brooks Flyer saddle and the absolutely silent Alfine hub gear.
    Hope you enjoy it! I do!








    (with the skyline of the city of Frankfurt in the hazy background)

    Regards from Germany
    Gerd
    That is all sorts of awesome. Nice job on the build!

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevereeneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    662
    SHWEET!!!!

    I'm debating putting a Titec J-bar on mine after riding and touring with drops ... this was a nice nudge in that direction...

    Thanks for sharing!

    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salsa Cycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by DeOppa
    Hi,
    and now for something completely different...

    Unlike most of the guys (and girls?) showing their more sportive Vayas here before, I decided to build it up as a comfortable city bike in a slight retro look.
    Yesterday it was finished for a first test ride and some quick shots in the evening sun.
    It proved to be a very smooth ride due to the upright bar position, the Brooks Flyer saddle and the absolutely silent Alfine hub gear.
    Hope you enjoy it! I do!





    Regards from Germany
    Gerd
    Awesome build! You've got me thinking. Thanks for sharing that!

    Jason/Gnat
    Salsa Crew
    Adventure by Bike

    Check out our blog!

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    I'm doing the same thing with my Fargo now that I've got my Vaya built up. I actually sold my original Fargo and went a size down on my second Fargo (from an XL to a L) when I got my Vaya, since the Fargo is now a full-on mountain bike, with no gravel intentions.

    I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 40c tires too. I think there's plenty of fender clearance in there though... No reason to run something smaller. I'm running them tubeless too!
    Those are interestingly strange not-quite-drop-bars. What are they?

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DeOppa
    Hi,
    and now for something completely different...



    Regards from Germany
    Gerd
    Now that's a splendid build , been thinking about rebuilding my city bike in a similar fashion, I'll be using some of your ideas I think - thanks for posting

  47. #97
    ?hipster?
    Reputation: Moementum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by shile
    Gnat/Jason,

    What size is your Vaya?

    Can anyone post side view photos of a 57 complete? Those of you that have a 57, what's your inseam? Thanks

    Shile, mine is a 57, stock off the shelf, I'm 6' tall w/32 inseam. I like to slam the seat all the way back, I would probably need a longer stem if I didn't. The stem is listed as a 10cm, but is really 9.5. I can easily use all bar positions. I have only had it less than two weeks, but this is the most stable/comfortable road bike I've ever been on, serious rider >35 years.

    Your pics are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-p1010602-2-.jpg  

    Vaya Builds-p1010603-2-.jpg  


  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    189
    I think I found my size. Thanks for the info and pics.

    Steve
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Shile, my Vaya is a 57. I checked out your photos too. Awesome stuff. Gnat
    Thanks for the side pic and compliments on my site. I dig your stuff too and want to start combining bikes and the DSLR. I ordered a large Fargo and will probably get a 57 Vaya too.

    So far, I'm thinking about some white spoked Spinergy 29er wheels, Race Face Cadence CX cranks, XT der.s, Thomson post/stem, BB7s, and either barcons or brifters.

    Steve
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

  50. #100
    2OFME
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    137

    52cm pics anyone?

    Anyone got pics of a built up 52cm Vaya? The closest Salsa dealer to my location is over an hour away. I'm about size for a 52cm, just curious how it looks built up.

    Thanks,
    -Pete

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •