Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaya Builds

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I have a 60cm-no photos-sorry. Using Woodchippers-awesome! I call it my Buddha-it has shown me the middle path-not road/not single track-but the dirt roads-i am finding a way to enlightenment....
    I really didnt think i would like it as much as i do with only one long ride on it-but i dialed in the fit-and had a magic day last sunday.I put a rear rack on today-im ready to disappear this summer-bike/flyrod and go into the wilds of swva and wv!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz
    I have a 60cm-no photos-sorry. Using Woodchippers-awesome! I call it my Buddha-it has shown me the middle path-not road/not single track-but the dirt roads-i am finding a way to enlightenment....
    I really didnt think i would like it as much as i do with only one long ride on it-but i dialed in the fit-and had a magic day last sunday.I put a rear rack on today-im ready to disappear this summer-bike/flyrod and go into the wilds of swva and wv!
    sounds like an awesome idea. I plan to do the same if I ever get back to Montana

mtbr member

Salsa Vaya AIR!

New build posted above... I'm calling it the Vaya AIR w/ the S&S Couplers...
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    New build posted above... I'm calling it the Vaya AIR w/ the S&S Couplers...
    S
    That's perrty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    That's perrty!
    Especially now that I fixed the barrel adjusters!

Thanks!
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    nice Toy!
    whats the advantage of S&S couplers, easy to pack on the bike box?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    nice Toy!
    whats the advantage of S&S couplers, easy to pack on the bike box?
    Yup, with the S&S Couplers I can break the bike down to fit into a box (albeit an expensive box - like $300-$400+) that is 26x26x10 - this fits within the airlines maximum dimension (62") and doesn't incur any extra charge... I've got some friends that have a tandem and they have a couple of boxes that I can use. They also have a soft case

Here's their very informative website:
    http://www.sandsmachine.com/

S

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here are some pictures of my Vaya. It's a 60cm... I'm 6 3.5" tall and have a 36" pant inseam. The bike fits me perfectly and has been a joy to ride.

These were taken while riding a 400K brevet last Saturday:

And here is one of the Vaya in commuter mode:

This frameset was built up with SRAM Rival components, BB7 brakes, Salsa S.U.L stem/Bell Lap bar, Cane Creek 100 headset, Salsa Shaft seat post, Brooks Swift Ti seat...and the wheels are Hadley hubs w/Stan's Flow rims. I too am running Schwable Marathon Extreme 40's. (Awesome tires...even on pavement!)

I added a Tubus Cargo Expedition rack along with Deuter Panniers or an Axiom trunk bag - depending on what I might be doing.

Salsa has really hit the mark with this bike. As soon as I read about it I ordered one and it's turning out to be one of the best all around bikes that I have ever owned.

Gravel/Ultra Distance/Commuting - all good!

mtbr member
    Very nice! Darn that looks HUGE compared to my 55! I'm I'm looking forward to seeing more builds!
    S

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mine is coming together. Just need to put on the chain, brakes and shifters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    BigCircles,

I can't tell you how glad I am you posted pictures of your bike. I would need a 60cm frame too and yours are the first pics I've seen in this size. I have to say Salsa is really dropping the ball in its advertisement/marketing/photos of their bikes...

If it's not too much to ask...could you post a straight-on side profile pic of your bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    If it's not too much to ask...could you post a straight-on side profile pic of your bike?
    No prob... Here you go:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for posting those. Bike looks good, and very similar to the build I have in mind. I really wanted the older La Cruz but I'm starting to come around and like this bike the more I see it. It just doesn't appear very "photogenic" on Salsa's website.

You wouldn't happen to know what the bike itself weighed before the accessories were added, do you? I'm guessing ~26 lbs? Are you happy with your BB7s and Rival brifter combo?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Heres Mine It's a 58cm frameset.
    Just finished it up today.

Here is the build spec, I started with the complete bike salsa does and upgraded a few things.... It's pretty much final except for the headset spacers. I am waiting on matching ones to arrive. I may also eventually switch to a brown saddle. And I would like a silver seat clamp if anyone wants to trade for black. It came in right at 25lbs. Pretty good for a steel bike this big. All weights are verified by me except the brake cables which I just estimated. It cost me a couple hundred dollars more to do it this way but I got better brakes, lighter wheels, tires, rear derailleur, cassette and chain (and probably saddle).

Frame Salsa Vaya 58cm 2375
    Fork Salsa Vaya 1025
    Headset Cane Creek 110 124
    Headset Sp. Cane Creek 110 65
    Stem Cannondale 156
    Seatpost Kalloy 27.2 320
    Seatpost clamp Salsa Lip lock 31
    Saddle Fizik Arione Tri 2 245
    Handlebars Origin 8 Gary 2 Silver 293
    Shifters Dura Ace Bar End 206
    Brake Levers Tektro R200A 283
    Brakes Avid BB7 Road 406
    Brake Rotors Shimano XT RT-79 160mm 270
    Wheelset Shimano WH-mt75 29er 1855
    Cassette Shimano XT 11-32 262
    Pedals Shimano pd-m540 350
    Crankset Shimano Tiagra 4550 175mm 36-50 858
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Tiagra 4550 95
    Chain Shimano 7701 288
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT m770 SGS 235
    Tires Continental Contact Extra Light 700x37 945
    Tubes Maxxis Welter Weight 258
    Brake cables Jagwire 105
    Bar Tape / Grips Salsa Brown 64
    Front derailleur Tiagra 4550 28.6 117
    Skewers Shimano 127

Totals: 11353g
    25.00 lbs
    Last edited by lucifer; 04-21-2010 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice build! Very Clean looking...

You came in abut 1.5 lbs lighter than mine... though I've changed a few things and will need to re-weigh - I'm guessing the difference is mostly in the wheels, tires, tubes... the couplers add a bit of weight but mine's only a 55 ...

Now it's time to get 'er dirty!

S

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    You wouldn't happen to know what the bike itself weighed before the accessories were added, do you? I'm guessing ~26 lbs? Are you happy with your BB7s and Rival brifter combo?
    Sorry - just saw this... Looks like lucifer has pretty much summed it up as far as weight goes. (Nice bike too!)

I don't have a scale - but I imagine that ~26 lbs is close more or less.

The BB7's and Rival setup work great....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was basically just shooting for as light and good as possible within a reasonable budget. There aren't many "easy" weight savings I could do on mine, here are my thoughts for future upgrades..
    1. I guess I could pop for a thomson masterpiece seatpost that would save about 1/3 of a pound (the kalloy was $18 the thomson is what $140?)

2. I suppose there may also be a lighter crankset around too (tricky to find 9sp and compact together) but again it would be a lot more money....

3. I might eventually be able to get a UST commuter tire which might or might not save a few ounces over the current tire and tube set up.

4. Someone might come out with a road lever for shimano hydros (yeah right in my dreams!) Part of the reason the vaya is so heavy is that those damn avid brakes weigh a ton and require long heavy cables and housing.

The Vaya is a heavy bike. It's 5.5lbs heavier than my previous steel road bike. But then again it is also a lot more comfortable and a lot more capable. I was kinda thinking it would build up lighter than this, but overall I am very happy with the way it rides. There is a lot to be said for being able to bunny hop your roadbike up onto the curb and take off across the grass or gravel without thinking twice.
    Last edited by lucifer; 04-21-2010 at 06:21 PM.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Heres Mine It's a 58cm frameset.
    Just finished it up today.
    Looks really good, man... Nice build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Looks really good, man... Nice build.
    Thanks I am totally diggin it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Really digging the builds, guys. Nice work all around. If you don't mind me asking, for the ones with Marathon Extremes - how are you liking them? Are they significantly slower on the road than the stock Conti's? I'm thinking of getting a set for my Long Haul Trucker, but that's my main concern. Otherwise, I think the on-road/off-road ability would be ideal. Thanks.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    Really digging the builds, guys. Nice work all around. If you don't mind me asking, for the ones with Marathon Extremes - how are you liking them? Are they significantly slower on the road than the stock Conti's? I'm thinking of getting a set for my Long Haul Trucker, but that's my main concern. Otherwise, I think the on-road/off-road ability would be ideal. Thanks.
    Can't compare them to the Contis because I built the Vaya up from a frameset, but I love the Schwalbes... They're awesome tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Can't compare them to the Contis because I built the Vaya up from a frameset, but I love the Schwalbes... They're awesome tires.
    + 1

i'm in the same boat. i've pushed the schwalbe's on the street for well over 200 miles on a couple of rides recently. they roll very well on the pavement (especially chip seal) - and are great in dirt too. (of course!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mine is a 58. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and longish arms. The fit is really good. I built it up as a commuter and all purpose bike for Southern Wisconsin. I've only got about 50 miles on it so far, but I dig it.

SRAM Rival kit, 34/50t, 11-28t cassette
    Avid BB7
    DT Swiss 340 29er wheels w/ Continental Top Contact 37 tires
    Salsa Shaft seatpost, Moto Ace SUL 100 mm stem, and 42 cm Woodchipper bar
    Cane Creek S3 headset
    Charge Spoon titanium saddle
    Salsa cork bar tape
    Crank Brothers Candy C pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya Builds-dscf0419.jpg  

Vaya Builds-dscf0421.jpg  

Vaya Builds-dscf0423.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bought a full build from MWC in Lincoln today! Very excited to hit the trails with it next week after I move tomorrow.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by cej22
    Mine is a 58. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and longish arms. The fit is really good. I built it up as a commuter and all purpose bike for Southern Wisconsin. I've only got about 50 miles on it so far, but I dig it.

SRAM Rival kit, 34/50t, 11-28t cassette
    Avid BB7
    DT Swiss 340 29er wheels w/ Continental Top Contact 37 tires
    Salsa Shaft seatpost, Moto Ace SUL 100 mm stem, and 42 cm Woodchipper bar
    Cane Creek S3 headset
    Charge Spoon titanium saddle
    Salsa cork bar tape
    Crank Brothers Candy C pedals
    That thing looks great. Congratulations!!

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast