Thread: Vaya 3 Tires

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Wink Vaya 3 Tires

Thinking of replacing my stock 700 x 37 Schwalabe Mondials with something more roadish. I found a great price (very important to me) on Panaracer Ribmo PT tires that came recommended by my bike guy.

Amazon.com: Panaracer RiBMo PT Tire with Wire Bead: Sports & Outdoors

Question is on size, thinking of 32 or going down to 28s.

I ride mostly road 80% and some gravel 20% and my desire is to pick up some speed and cut down on the humming I get with the mondials. I do appreciate the puncture resistance feature as I have not flatted in 1600 miles since getting the Vaya last October.

So do I go with 32's or will 28's be too thin and comprimise the sweet Vaya ride? I'm 225 lbs and usually carry another 10-15 lbs of gear and stuff, (due to my rack and bag addiction) rear rack not shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya 3 Tires-dscn2851.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Actually my current Mondials are 700 x 40 beasts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would go 32, still keep some of the cushion of a wider tire. My Vaya 2 has Clements, which roll quite well. They are 40's too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thank you, just needed a 2nd opinion..

mtbr member
    I'm running 32c Vittoria Voyager Hypers on my Vaya, and they are quite sweet. I wouldn't go any smaller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Vaya 3 Tires

I'm running 38c Vittoria Randonneur Hypers on my Warbird2. Smooth on the road, cushions the blow on crappier roads with potholes, lose a little grip in loose gravel, but a decent compromise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cemorse View Post
    I'm running 38c Vittoria Randonneur Hypers on my Warbird2. Smooth on the road, cushions the blow on crappier roads with potholes, lose a little grip in loose gravel, but a decent compromise.
    I'm running the same tire on my Vaya, and they are great. They are light for their size, too. I can't imagine that going to a 32 or even 28 would have a material impact on speed, but the extra girth on the tire really makes a difference on bad pavement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Panaracer PT RiBmo 32's have arrived, I'll post again after I put a few miles on...
    Thanks!

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaya Rider View Post
    Thinking of replacing my stock 700 x 37 Schwalabe Mondials with something more roadish. I found a great price (very important to me) on Panaracer Ribmo PT tires that came recommended by my bike guy.
    You got the Mondials stock on the 2012 Vaya? I'm envious. My 2013 Vaya 3 came with Continental Tour Ride 700c x 37 (37-622). The front tire flatted within the first 50 miles from a 1/2" split under the rim, right alongside the steel tire bead. I replaced it, at least for the time being, with a 700c x 32 Nimbus Sport which is every bit as wide as the "700c x 37" Conti I still have on the back wheel (but probably not for long).

If you go the Conti route, at least be aware of possible QC issues, and that their sizing may not be standard if you're looking for a specific width or clearance.
    Last edited by john.b; 06-22-2013 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, I did two rides over the weekend with the new tires, about 80 miles and I must say I like them. I was able to keep up with my roadie friends for the most part except on the hills, (which is more a reflection of my fitness level than the tires), and the fact most were riding carbon fiber road bikes.

The tires gave a very nice, fast and quiet ride that was comfortable over some rough pavement and rock solid going down some rolling hills of CT.