Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

To use a flat bar on salsa fargo?

19K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MacLeod01 
#1 ·
Hello!
I am looking forward for adventure bike. I like salsa fargo grameset.
But on the official site it is a curved handlebar.
I have a xt aquipment and xtr disk brakes from my old bike, so i woul like to intall this equipment to salsa frameset on the flat bar?
Could i use this frame with a flat bar? Does it will not shot for me?
I am 180cm.
Thanks!

#4 ·
I did the inverse, I bought a Surly Ogre (made for flat bar) and tried drops with it. After a frustrating time with that, I finally went flat bar and realized my geometry lesson. The bike is so much better now and I enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

Unless you can buy a frame large enough to get the top tube stretch, I wouldn't recommend doing this. Get the El Mar if you really want flat bars.

#5 ·
These guys have a good point about the geometry and what the Fargo was designed for. But, there are many happy people on Fargos with flat bars. If you are really set on it, you will have to look for the right stem to get the position you want.

It can be done, and it has been done. If it were me, I would get an El Mariachi instead, but it's up to you!

#8 ·
I know this is an old thread, but it pops up in thread searches, so I thought I'd chime in.

I put Jones Loop Bars (710mm) on my 2011 Fargo 2, and love it all the more. (I did use a longer and less-steep stem to compensate for the flats vs. drops.) I also have Schwalbe Big Apples on it, and the Fargo rides like a dream in this setup.

#9 ·
Why Salsa Fargo has short top tube for flat bars ? The XL frame has ETT 620 mm. My current frame: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/thompson-eagle-frame-26-disc-only-black-red-257256 has ETT 600 mm for XL so it is shorter and I ride it with flat bars. I use it mostly for city commuting and I need something with little bit longer ETT ( not much ). I think for me the Fargo will be perfect for flat bars. Is there anything hidden, I do not see in the geometry, that can make me uncomfortable with flat bars on Fargo ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.