mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Trading my Medium Fargo 2013 frame for a Medium Vaya Frame

Strongly considering trading my Medium Fargo 2013 frame for a Medium Vaya Frame, or a straight up Vaya 2 for Fargo 2 trade. Any interest?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Both are nice bikes. Why a vaya over a Fargo?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikhaelc View Post
    Strongly considering trading my Medium Fargo 2013 frame for a Medium Vaya Frame, or a straight up Vaya 2 for Fargo 2 trade. Any interest?
    Depending on what you are looking for you may also want to check out the AWOL. I went between the Fargo, Vaya and AWOL and eventually settled on the AWOL. I rode it for a few months having a bit of remorse over not getting a Vaya instead so when a Vaya came up on CL for a good price I bought it. Now that I own the Vaya and AWOL I find that I'm a little more partial to the AWOL. The Vaya feels a bit more sporty but the AWOL is feels faster and surer once up to speed (I don't know how to describe it other than it's like a freight train, as it seems to be very easy to maintain the momentum once I get it rolling), it feels a little more comfortable on longer rides and takes rougher terrain a bit better than the Vaya. FWIW, I run 40mm Voyager Hypers on both bikes. To be fair I built up the AWOL from the frameset so it has everything I want and the Vaya is an off the shelf 2013 model. My daughter and I often share bikes and whichever one of us has the Vaya works to keep up with the person on the AWOL on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Both are nice bikes. Why a vaya over a Fargo?
    In trying to explain it exactly, I just sounded funny, so here's the issue in a nutshell: I want to ride on pavement, dirt and class IV roads much more than I want to ride on singletrack, and the Fargo isn't as desirable on paved surfaces.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    Depending on what you are looking for you may also want to check out the AWOL. I went between the Fargo, Vaya and AWOL and eventually settled on the AWOL. I rode it for a few months having a bit of remorse over not getting a Vaya instead so when a Vaya came up on CL for a good price I bought it. Now that I own the Vaya and AWOL I find that I'm a little more partial to the AWOL. The Vaya feels a bit more sporty but the AWOL is feels faster and surer once up to speed (I don't know how to describe it other than it's like a freight train, as it seems to be very easy to maintain the momentum once I get it rolling), it feels a little more comfortable on longer rides and takes rougher terrain a bit better than the Vaya. FWIW, I run 40mm Voyager Hypers on both bikes. To be fair I built up the AWOL from the frameset so it has everything I want and the Vaya is an off the shelf 2013 model. My daughter and I often share bikes and whichever one of us has the Vaya works to keep up with the person on the AWOL on longer rides.
    Thanks for the suggestion, edthesped. The AWOL looks just as good as the Vaya. The Vaya is prettier, of course. And Salsa, the beloved brand. It's a bit cheaper though, and seemingly includes a headset. Not sure how much I trust the Specialized dropouts, I had a bad time with Trek's Marlin SS dropouts a while back. I know the Salsa dropouts are tested and true. But if my Fargo experience is an indicator, I can understand how the Vaya could feel a little slow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, edthesped. The AWOL looks just as good as the Vaya. The Vaya is prettier, of course. And Salsa, the beloved brand. It's a bit cheaper though, and seemingly includes a headset. Not sure how much I trust the Specialized dropouts, I had a bad time with Trek's Marlin SS dropouts a while back. I know the Salsa dropouts are tested and true. But if my Fargo experience is an indicator, I can understand how the Vaya could feel a little slow.
    Understood, my 2013 Vaya 2 has a beautiful color scheme, half of the reason I jumped on it. having been in your shoes I would say it might not be a bad thing to give the AWOL a gander. I have around 2k mi on my AWOL comp and haven't had any trouble with the swinger dropouts, well, I did spend an inordinate amount of time trying to make sure I had the wheel aligned properly but that was me being OC.

mtbr member
    I've been really tempted to trade my 2014 Vaya for a fargo lately. I bought a Nature boys disc and love it and it's close enough to Vaya ride wise, I was thinking a fargo would be a nice compliment. My Vaya is a 56
    Blackborow
    Titanium Warbird
    Nature Boy Disc
    Jones Diamond Frame/truss fork

CS2
    mtbr member
    In trying to explain it exactly, I just sounded funny, so here's the issue in a nutshell: I want to ride on pavement, dirt and class IV roads much more than I want to ride on singletrack, and the Fargo isn't as desirable on paved surfaces.
    I can see that. In that case the Fargo, while nice, would be overkill. Salsa just came out with Marakesh. It looks like a vaya on steroids.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.