mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Tire recomendations for Spearfish?

I recently built up a 2013 Spearfish 1- my first MTB build, my first 29er, and really my first serious MTB. In other words, I don't have a lot of experience.

I am looking for tire suggestions because so far I have been unhappy with my selections. I guess this is a general 29er tire question, but I figure I may as well ask other Spearfishers.

My riding is XC with mostly hardpack, loose over hard, rock, and occasional loose rock (scree). No mud, no deep sand.

First tried Schwalbe Racing Ralph- Performance Model. Very light and fast to spin up, felt ok on flat hardpack, but grip sucked on basically everything. Climbing was not so good, cornering so-so and anything loose was a disaster.

Next I tried Conti X-King (as issued on "stock" Spearfish 3). Also light and fast. This tire gripped better than the Ralph, but still not great in loose stuff. Sidewalls seem really thin, constantly weep sealant and don't hold air well. This is my favorite so far but still wanting more grip and something that plays nice with sealant.

Most recently tried Kenda Slant 6. Not terribly different looking than X-king, but is definitely not as fast. Kind of a dog on paved and dirt roads. Feels like it has much more resistance. Does play real nice with sealant, holds air perfectly, seems tough. Unfortunately does not grip as well as X-King, although it is better than Ralph.

Frustrated, and tired of spending money on tires that don't work out.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have Maxxis Ikons on my Spearfish also like the Conti Trail Kings better than the X-kings.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    I also run the Maxxis IKON on my fish. Havent had much seat time on her since I just got her and am finishing up the school year but I like them so far.
    Specialized Enduro Comp 650b
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

mtbr member

Re: Tire recomendations for Spearfish?

I run a Bonti XR3 team 2.2 front and Racing Ralph EVO snake 2.25 rear. I like them both. The new Bonti is amazing.

mtbr member
    I run a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front and a Specialized Fast Trak 2.2 on the rear. I like the setup. The front has a ton of grip but at the cost of a little speed. The Fast Trak is a great rear tire. It has plenty of grip and is fast rolling. I like it because it offers lots of front tire washout protection and is still relatively quick.

mtbr member
    I have run a few different tires.
    Spec Fast Track 2.2 rear 2.2 front
    Nice set up but loses traction at high speeds on lose over hard pack with no warning at all. I had a vary scary crash going stupid fast on single track because of this. Over all a good combo.

Spec The Captan 2.2 rear Fast Track 2.2 front
    The captan fells like a monster truck tire. It goes over every thing and just always has traction. Mid summers on the front range when every thing is covered in talcum powder dirt and sand over hardpack this is the perfect tire. But has NO mud clearance, this has been a real problem in the spring. I want to try it as a front

Spec Ground Control 2.1 rear Fast Track Front 2.2
    Really nice balance between traction and speed. I feel like this is the perfect combo. You can tell the spearfish was designed around a 2.1 rear tire. I am tempted to try the ground controls front and rear when it gets really dry here.

Bontrager 29-1 Expert 2.2 rear 2.2 front
    Better over all traction then the fast tracks and liter. But that comes with thin sidewalls so they cut easy and they are ALLOT harder to set up tubeless. But once you get them setup they ride really well and I never felt like I was pushing the tire too hard. If I had dedicated race wheels this would be my tires of choice.

mtbr member
    I run a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front, which I love, and until it wore out the stock Conti X King 2.2. I now have a Bontrager XR1 Team Issue 2.2 in the rear. It's a little taller than the X King. I like it so far. I ride in central VA--roots, roots, and then some more roots. Rocks. Lots of uphill. Had the shop had an Ardent in 2.2 I would have gone with that, but I'm happy with the Bontrager.