Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Timberjack Thread

I think Timberjacks are making their way in! Here is mine with clearance pics, I'm going to see if 29+ will squeeze in with the alternators all the way back. Can't actually ride it yet, waiting for the rear axle.

Wheels are Dually 39id with 3.0 tires

2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Beautiful bike! Mine is a Charcoal, 27.5+ complete. The only custom part would be my pedals, so far, Straitline De Factos in orange. But... if anybody wants any pictures of any particular part of the stock build, let me know!

Timberjack Thread-img_20161221_220717_972.jpg

Timberjack Thread-20161220_161955.jpg

Timberjack Thread-20161215_155006.jpg

Timberjack Thread-20161215_154959.jpg
    Last edited by SocratesDiedTrolling; 1 Week Ago at 04:31 PM.
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2009 Giant Yukon
    2015 Motobecane FB4 Fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I ordered my NX1 in early December, and am still waiting for it to come in. Salsa promised delivery before Christmas. My LBS left me a message yesterday saying Salsa would ship next week. Fingers crossed. . .

mtbr member
    Socrates that looks great! I was supposed to get that frame but things got wacky. How do you like the bike?

Jwalther I hope it comes soon, I've lost a lot of confidence in QBP to manage and deliver bike shipments, especially because it puts an LBS in a crappy spot.
    Last edited by grizzler; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:11 PM.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Hey grizzler- did you get your Timberjack in the 29 configuration and then put B+ tires and the Fox fork on it? Just trying to figure out how you got that particular set-up. It looks gorgeous by the way- I love that blue.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear View Post
    Hey grizzler- did you get your Timberjack in the 29 configuration and then put B+ tires and the Fox fork on it? Just trying to figure out how you got that particular set-up. It looks gorgeous by the way- I love that blue.
    I originally ordered the frame in August and expected it October but it kept getting delayed. Earlier this month my LBS called saying the ETA was now spring. So we switched my order to a Karate Monkey.

The next day he worked out ordering a complete 29er at a good price for him. He kept the build I took the frame.

Only problem was that the frame came with 135mm plates and reducers. I found some 12x142 plates and now just need the appropriate skewer.

The blue is definitely much nicer than the photos Salsa provided!
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzler View Post
    The blue is definitely much nicer than the photos Salsa provided!
    No doubt- your pictures of it are much more flattering to the paint than Salsa's. Go figure. Beautiful bike you have- very nicely done.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    i bought the 29 NX version with intentions of tearing it down, selling off the bits and building it up fresh. but now i gotta wait like a schmoe for the boost alternator plates to get restocked. shoulda gone for the plus version off the bat. oh well.

i did fiddle fart with tire clearance in the back, and was able to fit a 3" tire on a VERY narrow rim with the dropouts moved all the way forward. tire measured at 2.65" on the rim for the test fitting. so i think 29 plus is a definite possibility with this frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Extremely close to buying this bike. Question: is there a lot of chain slap ? (GX 27.5 plus).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by messofzero View Post
    i bought the 29 NX version with intentions of tearing it down, selling off the bits and building it up fresh. but now i gotta wait like a schmoe for the boost alternator plates to get restocked. shoulda gone for the plus version off the bat. oh well.

i did fiddle fart with tire clearance in the back, and was able to fit a 3" tire on a VERY narrow rim with the dropouts moved all the way forward. tire measured at 2.65" on the rim for the test fitting. so i think 29 plus is a definite possibility with this frame.
    Not that they're any more available, but you get boost spacing with the regular 12x142 plates. If you happen to have a buddy with a set they aren't using like I did. Just need a 180mm axle.

Good to hear about then 29+ possibility, so would a wider rim fit better with the dropouts all the way back?
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    Extremely close to buying this bike. Question: is there a lot of chain slap ? (GX 27.5 plus).

Thanks.
    I can't imagine there being anymore than any other bike with a clutch rear derailleur (which is not much). Couldn't tell you from my perspective because I'm running single speed.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I can't imagine there being anymore than any other bike with a clutch rear derailleur (which is not much). Couldn't tell you from my perspective because I'm running single speed.
    Thanks, I have an older entry level bike without a clutch.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I have an older entry level bike without a clutch.
    You'll be stoked by the difference for sure.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Not that they're any more available, but you get boost spacing with the regular 12x142 plates. If you happen to have a buddy with a set they aren't using like I did. Just need a 180mm axle.

Good to hear about then 29+ possibility, so would a wider rim fit better with the dropouts all the way back?
    yeah the 2.65" tire with the dropouts slammed fit with ease. so i think a true 29 plus on a 40 or 50 in the rear is a definite possibility. gonna get my hands on a wheel for testing tonight, will report back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    any chance a 27.5 x 3.8 would fit depending on rear axle location?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Dumb question here: The internal cable comes out of the top tube (close to the seat) at the spot where my truck mounted bike rack grips the top tube. Do you think this would cause damage to the cable? Would a top tube adaptor pole help this? I never used one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The inside corner where the RD/FD cables pop out??
    Timberjack Thread-screen-shot-2017-01-03-8.15.08-pm.jpg

If it grabs the corner I would be worried about the housing rubbing the frame and causing cosmetic damage.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member

Thanks.
    If you didn't order one in the Fall, you'll be waiting a few months...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The inside corner where the RD/FD cables pop out??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 8.15.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	1113729

If it grabs the corner I would be worried about the housing rubbing the frame and causing cosmetic damage.
    Yes. I guess I would just get one of those top tube adaptors. I don't love these trunk mounted racks but I cannot put a hitch on my car at this time.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I had a one before where I could rotate the mount to grab on the top outside corner instead of the inside corner, is that possible for you?
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I had a one before where I could rotate the mount to grab on the top outside corner instead of the inside corner, is that possible for you?
    I don't think so. Do these top tube adapters work well?

mtbr member
    Yeah they work fine I wouldn't sweat it. Nice to get the rack mounting points off the frame anyhow.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    There are a few of these bikes in bike shops in Wisconsin, if anyone here is close to the area.
    Last edited by SpartyinWI; 1 Week Ago at 12:41 PM.

blet drive
    what did she end up weighing?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    what did she end up weighing?
    Just a hair over 27lbs and I should have the axle tomorrow
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member

Timberjack Thread

I finally got to ride it! The ride was only half as rowdy as it could have been though because the rear brake never seemed to bed ( I think I need to clean some contamination) so I was not as willing to push it. Bike felt great, responsive, stable, playful enough. Need a lot more time to familiarize.
    Timberjack Thread-img_0037.jpg
    Coming from my pony rustler it felt familiar. Im going to write my thoughts between the two on the plus forum.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Grizzler, bike looks great! Glad you were finally able to get it all together and out and about! I agree that it was pretty stable, though not quite as stable as my Fargo. But, the Fargo is meant for mountain-bike-style touring, so it's pretty darn stable. Timberjack felt more maneuverable than the Fargo, which was good.

This is my first plus bike, and I'm pretty happy with it! I had a slight twinge of buyer's remorse, but I feel that any time I'm dropping significant money, so that's more about me than the bike.

I am just running flat pedals, and I like them. I have been using SPDs on my Fargo for a couple years, so hadn't done flats in a while. I'm using the Straitline De Factos recommended to me by Project_Mayhem, and they work great! I feel like my shoes are velcro'd to the pedals.
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2009 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Grizzler, bike looks great! Glad you were finally able to get it all together and out and about! I agree that it was pretty stable, though not quite as stable as my Fargo. But, the Fargo is meant for mountain-bike-style touring, so it's pretty darn stable. Timberjack felt more maneuverable than the Fargo, which was good.

This is my first plus bike, and I'm pretty happy with it! I had a slight twinge of buyer's remorse, but I feel that any time I'm dropping significant money, so that's more about me than the bike.

I am just running flat pedals, and I like them. I have been using SPDs on my Fargo for a couple years, so hadn't done flats in a while. I'm using the Straitline De Factos recommended to me by Project_Mayhem, and they work great! I feel like my shoes are velcro'd to the pedals.
    Glad you're enjoying it! I know the feeling of immediate remorse. I have a Fargo too and agree it feels totally different but both are
    big fun. I'm stoked to have a variety of options! The Fargo is the commuter but it still sees some single track.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Now I'm hearing from Salsa that my Timberjack frame (Ordered a "frame only" the week they were announced months ago. Was promised I would still receive the frame even though they removed the frame only option several weeks after introduction) are in QC and will be shipped "soon". Was told the week before Christmas the same QC story with a promise of it shipping the week of 1-3-17. Forgive the rant but sick of the BS. 3 promised ship dates have come and gone. A simple honest response should not be too much to ask.

FYI- All of the feedback was directly from the Salsa Rep or QBP inside sales.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D24 View Post
    Now I'm hearing from Salsa that my Timberjack frame (Ordered a "frame only" the week they were announced months ago. Was promised I would still receive the frame even though they removed the frame only option several weeks after introduction) are in QC and will be shipped "soon". Was told the week before Christmas the same QC story with a promise of it shipping the week of 1-3-17. Forgive the rant but sick of the BS. 3 promised ship dates have come and gone. A simple honest response should not be too much to ask.

Rant away. I went through the same thing and my LBS ended up ordering a complete 29er and keeping the build kit. I ended up having to find 142x12 plates and buy a Maxle which put the total cost of the frame up another $70. I hope they make some serious internal changes in the distribution or it will most likely be the last QBP bike I purchase.

PS I rode my TJ yesterday on a chunky 22 mile with plenty of climbing and descending. The fork seems to broken in now and I got the rear brake to behave. The plus tires were a blast but I was also reminded of why I love my double-squish on some of the messier bits.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D24 View Post

I am in the same boat! I have been accumulating parts since my order and the only thing missing is the frame at this point. So I am hoping it shows up at my LBS this week.

...if not has anyone found any other frames that are boost, internal 30.9 post, 27.5+ and similar geometry that I should consider?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Beautiful bike! Mine is a Charcoal, 27.5+ complete. The only custom part would be my pedals, so far, Straitline De Factos in orange. But... if anybody wants any pictures of any particular part of the stock build, let me know!

Name:	IMG_20161221_220717_972.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	1112657

Name:	20161220_161955.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	1112658

Name:	20161215_155006.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1114351

Name:	20161215_154959.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	1114352
    I pick up my charcoal matte/orange GX1 this weekend.

Nice pedals you have, mind if I ask the brand? I know Race Face has some orange pedals. I am also deciding whether or not I should step up and finally go clipless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Grizzler
    Did you do you own build? Specifically, did you route your rear brake hose, and if so, how did you approach it?

I've got an XL frame I'm building. The internal routing is annoying me. The exit "port" for the rear brake hose (on the left side of the top tube, near seat tube) is smaller than the "connector bolt" on Shimano brake hoses (the bolt that threads into the lever body trapping the olive on the hose). Which implies I need to not just disconnect my hose and re-bleed to get my brake installed, but must actually cut the hose and do a new insert/olive in order to thread the hose through the frame.

I can't imagine what Salsa's rationale might have been for not making the "single" ports (as opposed to the "double" ports at the front of the top tube) a tad (1mm) larger so one could fit the hose. I may use my deburring tool to enlarge the port, but am concerned the gasket will then fit loose.

I know lots of folks like the aesthetics of internal routing, but I find it annoying, especially if you tend to move parts around various bikes. The internal derailleur routing I can deal with, but having to cut hydraulic lines is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Grizzler
    Did you do you own build? Specifically, did you route your rear brake hose, and if so, how did you approach it?

I've got an XL frame I'm building. The internal routing is annoying me. The exit "port" for the rear brake hose (on the left side of the top tube, near seat tube) is smaller than the "connector bolt" on Shimano brake hoses (the bolt that threads into the lever body trapping the olive on the hose). Which implies I need to not just disconnect my hose and re-bleed to get my brake installed, but must actually cut the hose and do a new insert/olive in order to thread the hose through the frame.

I can't imagine what Salsa's rationale might have been for not making the "single" ports (as opposed to the "double" ports at the front of the top tube) a tad (1mm) larger so one could fit the hose. I may use my deburring tool to enlarge the port, but am concerned the gasket will then fit loose.

I know lots of folks like the aesthetics of internal routing, but I find it annoying, especially if you tend to move parts around various bikes. The internal derailleur routing I can deal with, but having to cut hydraulic lines is ridiculous.
    I did build it myself. For the rear brake I installed the caliper, removed the line from the lever (olive/barb still installed but bolt and boot removed), and ran it through the same ports you described. I cut the line once it was already routed because it was too long.

There was plenty of space the way I did it. running the dropper line was especially trying but the brake was fine. I would not have had to cut lines if they weren't too long.

I agree on internal routing mostly sucking!
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What brakes are you using?

I was planning to approach it the same way you did: remove hose from lever, and thread the olive/insert end of hose thru the frame from the rear, and sliding the connector bolt along the hose behind the olive. But in preparing, before I removed the hoses, I measured. All my Shimano brakes measure 7.8mm across the wrench flats on the connector bolt (not surprising; they use an 8mm wrench). But the smaller port near the rear of the top tube (your second picture above) measures 7.25mm across. The other single-size ports on my frame also measure 7.25-7.3mm. I know we're talking 0.5mm here (so I can probably press it through??) but I've been hesitant to disconnect the hose from the lever and start poking around, all the while exposing it to air, oil seepage, etc adding to subsequent bleed hassle.

I'll likely be selling this frame as soon as I do a Baja trip over the next two months, so might just run external housing via zip ties so I don't have to do this twice.

mtbr member
    XT M8000. Can you not slide the bolt off without taking off the olive? I can't recall because I knew I would have to cut the lines regardless. Might be easiest to zip-tie or have it come out the larger port under the top tube (might be a harsh angle).
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    XT M8000. Can you not slide the bolt off without taking off the olive? I can't recall because I knew I would have to cut the lines regardless. Might be easiest to zip-tie or have it come out the larger port under the top tube (might be a harsh angle).
    Yep, the bolt is "trapped" on the hose by the olive (which it must be: the bolt compresses the olive when fitting). Once cut, you could slide off the bolt, install new insert, route the hose, then slide on bolt and new olive once hose exits the front. It appears this is what you did.

I'm using brakes that are already cut to length from another bike, so no need to cut. Losing another 15mm from the hose by cutting off the insert/olive isn't a deal breaker for length, but its irritating none-the-less when you think that Salsa could have spec'd an 8.3mm wide port instead of 7.3mm and avoided this dilemma.

I had the same thought about using the bigger port underneath, but I'll have a framebag there and as you noted the side port is clearly the intended trajectory to the final routing down the seatstay.

mtbr member
    Yep, the bolt is "trapped" on the hose by the olive (which it must be: the bolt compresses the olive when fitting). Once cut, you could slide off the bolt, install new insert, route the hose, then slide on bolt and new olive once hose exits the front. It appears this is what you did.

I'm using brakes that are already cut to length from another bike, so no need to cut. Losing another 15mm from the hose by cutting off the insert/olive isn't a deal breaker for length, but its irritating none-the-less when you think that Salsa could have spec'd an 8.3mm wide port instead of 7.3mm and avoided this dilemma.

I had the same thought about using the bigger port underneath, but I'll have a framebag there and as you noted the side port is clearly the intended trajectory to the final routing down the seatstay.
    Bummer. Sorry I mis-remembered. Let me know what you end up doing.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sucks to hear about the internal cable routing issues. I hadn't even realized it was an internally routed frame, considering its price point.

Your build looks great Grizzler, thanks a ton for sharing.

I pre-ordered a medium red 29er from REI the other day with, like others, the intent of stripping it down to the frame. I called REI and they felt strongly that they will receive stock of the 29ers on or around Jan 24th. The member dividend applies, so after taxes it will be in the $950 range after the dividend. So if anyone wants to get a red 29er, REI may be a good option.

Considering the lack of alternator dropout availability, I'm considering building up the rear wheel on a saint 10x135 hub and running a 10x135 thru bolt using the QR dropouts that come with the 29er. Any thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I have a boost hope rear hub and have both QR and 12mm end caps for it. When I wasn't sure I could find the 12x142 plates, my next plan was to remove the alternator reducer plats, pop on the QR caps, and obtain a longer QR skewer (a la Marin's 141mm QR Boost). I tested it out and it would have worked just fine if I had a longer skewer.

So I guess the question is whether or not boost spacing is important to you and you want the option of switching to 12x148 later. If you already have the hub I say run what you've got!
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I pick up my charcoal matte/orange GX1 this weekend.

Nice pedals you have, mind if I ask the brand? I know Race Face has some orange pedals. I am also deciding whether or not I should step up and finally go clipless.
    Hey, thanks! I like them pretty well, so far. They are Straitline brand, and the particular model is called De Facto. They are a Canadian company. I searched around online to find the best price, and actually got them from BikeWagon via WalMart's online marketplace.

They were recommended to me by Project_Mayhem on here. They are very grippy. I use clipless on my Fargo, but decided to go with flats on this since it would be a more dedicated mountain biking machine, and I don't usually clip in on trails. Maybe some day i will, but not this day!

Name:  large_10821.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  80.0 KB
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2009 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Took the plunge on a large khaki GX1
    Need to take a better pic but it's a nice ride for the buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My Timberjack frame finally showed up yesterday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A local shop was kind enough to let me slide a Chupacabra 29x3 on a Mulefut 50 rim into the back of my XL Timberjack to check clearance.

Photos are shot from below the chainstays. Dropouts set to max chainstay length. Clearance was tightest on non-driveside, about 4mm? Slightly more on driveside, about 5-6mm? Probably rideable with a true rim and less-than-aggro cornering, but probably not viable longterm. Presumably a Chronicle would fit the same since they are nearly identical B2B width.

Seatstay clearance is ridiculously excessive, not even worth shooting photos, a total non-concern.

Based on this observation, I think we can confidently predict that a FatBNimble or Bomboloni (both with B2B 10-15mm < than Chup/Chron) would fit with sufficient clearance on most rims and for most riding.

Let the TJ 29+ experiments begin.

Timberjack Thread-img_20170112_174559.jpg

Timberjack Thread-img_20170112_174624.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ss29er View Post
    Congrats, but ...................I'm a bit jealous. Hope to hear how your build goes.

mtbr member
    A local shop was kind enough to let me slide a Chupacabra 29x3 on a Mulefut 50 rim into the back of my XL Timberjack to check clearance.

Photos are shot from below the chainstays. Dropouts set to max chainstay length. Clearance was tightest on non-driveside, about 4mm? Slightly more on driveside, about 5-6mm? Probably rideable with a true rim and less-than-aggro cornering, but probably not viable longterm. Presumably a Chronicle would fit the same since they are nearly identical B2B width.

Seatstay clearance is ridiculously excessive, not even worth shooting photos, a total non-concern.

Based on this observation, I think we can confidently predict that a FatBNimble or Bomboloni (both with B2B 10-15mm < than Chup/Chron) would fit with sufficient clearance on most rims and for most riding.

Let the TJ 29+ experiments begin.

Name:	IMG_20170112_174559.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	1115509

Name:	IMG_20170112_174624.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	1115511
    Awesome. Thanks for checking!
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss29er View Post
    Woo! Let us know how the build goes.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Awwwwww maaaaaaan!!!! Grizzler thanks so much for starting this thread! I am stoked to see some of the Timberjack builds and hear some of the trials and tribulations people have gone through trying to get ahold of this bike! I ordered an XL frame after hearing from Salsa in October that frames would be available mid December. I purchased an entire parts spec, and now its Jan and no frame...apparently there are many of us in the same boat. I can't blame Salsa too much, as I know they are doing their best, but such a bummer that they ran into some QC issues. I am so jacked on this bike. I had just graduated from med school last June, and the day after graduation I had both my Trek MTB and my Salsa Vaya stolen from my garage. It was like running a marathon only to get to the finish line and have someone give me a swift kick in the balls. Thankfully insurance finally came though 6 months later, and since then I have scoured the internet and local shops and the Timberjack 27.5+ is without a doubt my dream machine. I found perhaps the last pre-order frame available, and at this point, I am willing to continue waiting, but damn it sucks. My parts are sitting in a box, and the last thing I heard regarding frames was that it was a no-go for an XL, even though I got an allocated pre-order. The shop very generously was willing to take apart a red complete for me in XL, but that will not do. Unless someone out there has an XL frame in Charcoal/Orange they would swap for a red one, I am at the mercy of the Salsa Gods...or their manufacturers...or something like that. Damn, and just when my balls felt like they were starting to heal.

Here is my build, I'll let you all know if I ever get ahold of an actual frame. In the meantime, please keep posting pics of your builds. It gives me hope .

Frame: Timberjack XL charcoal/black...aka a unicorn, a leprechaun, or an actual wizard (all things we think perhaps don't exist but really wish actually did).
    Wheels: Hand built Hope Pro orange hubs laced to Raceface Arc 40's, DT swiss black spokes, orange nipples.
    Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 3.0.
    Fork: Rockshox Reba, boost spacing.
    Headset: Chris King Mango
    Bars: Raceface atlas 35 mm clamp.
    Stem: Raceface atlas 65 mm, 35 mm clamp.
    Grips: Raceface strafe with ODI orange lockon clamps.
    Crank: XT M8000 with 30T Hope narrow wide chain ring.
    Cassette: 11-42 XT M8000.
    Shifters/Brakes/Rotors: XT M8000, icetech, 180 front 160 rear.
    Seat post and clamp: Thomson layback and Salsa liplock orange.
    Saddle: Brooks B17 black.
    Pedals: Straitline DeFacto orange.

I think that's everything. To all of you who got your bikes, I am happy for you. Please go out and ride for the rest of us still waiting. We feel it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mayhem! I was just thinking it had been a while since I had heard from you. Glad to see you post. Sorry to hear you are having such issues getting a firm commitment on an XL.

I actually rode the Timberjack a bit today, just for you! Actually, it was a local, yearly "winter" group ride on some city trails, which was fun. It wasn't even that wintery, but rather sunny and low thirties Fahrenheit, not bad at all. I did find some time to leave the group and do some off roading though. I did find one place these big ol' tires lost traction, a big ice patch!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Socrates, glad you made it out! We are having some record winter weather here, I am just trying not to think about how I could be busting through all this luscious powder if Salsa had kept their original deadline...cause then I get MMMMMMMAAAAAADDDDDD!!!! I am going with the whole "good things come to those who wait" thing for now, using this as an opportunity to let go of attachments etc... Are you still having any buyer's remorse?

In other news, the only bike that comes in a close second to the Timberjack is the IMBA painted Hayaduke by Advocate (they also make some cool looking coffee mugs). I could have made such a sweet build with some blue or purple parts on that thing...would have been sick. If you haven't seen it, check it out. From a fit/cost perspective the Salsa is still better, and fit always wins. Still a cool bike idea tho.

Keep those wheels rubber side down .
    Last edited by Project_Mayhem; 20 Hours Ago at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast