get down!

Ti La Cruz made for 47mm rake fork and I just got a 45mm carbon fork...handling diff?

What can I expect?

I see the Ti La Cruz was made for a 47mm rake fork..dunno why. Chainlove had the Shimano PRO carbon forks on sale for $130 so I took the leap. It has the steel La Cruz non-disc fork now which I assume is 47mm though it could very well be a 45mm. I'm not sure if Salsa made a 47mm La Cruz fork.

To top off the confusion, I only see the PRO carbon fork by Shimano listed as having a 48mm offset and Chainlove/Bonktown has been known to have erroneous info listed. I don't know if Shimano makes the fork in 45mm.

What say ye?! Does any of this crap really matter?

I figure losing half a pound is a good thing and after I sell my steelie it'll only cost me around $50.

Race
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Harmonius Wrench
    Theoretically the shorter the offset, the more stable/more trail the bike will have. In practice could you actually tell the difference between 2mm of offset?

Not likely, but there are exceptions to every rule. Keep in mind you could effect similar changes with different volume front tires on the bike with out changing the fork.

Go ahead and try it, the bike should be fine as long as the parts are all compatible. Humans are amazingly adaptable creatures, but sometimes attitudes and desires get in the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Assuming the fork length is roughly the same and so doesn't change things too I doubt very much that you will notice 2mm or so difference in fork rake. You'd be more likely to notice a big difference in lateral stiffness or ride quality, if there is one.

get down!
    Got the fork installed a few days ago. It was marked as 48mm rake, so I'm good to go! As an added bonus I didn't have to cut the fork. It was close to the perfect length, so I just left it. I was also unfamiliar with the bolt system in the steerer, it was a sort of star nut as opposed to a compression nut. I dunno so I just left it. Looks great. Has a grey accent in the decal that matches the Ti.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE