mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Taco'd My Front Rim - Spearfish 29er

I took on a rough section of the Tahoe Rim Trail this morning, Brockway Summit to Tahoe City. Only my second real ride on a leftover 2012 Spearfish 29. Bike is bone stock.

Taco'd My Front Rim - Spearfish 29er-screen-shot-2013-06-23-7.41.28-pm.jpg
    Track
    Taco'd My Front Rim - Spearfish 29er-squaw_valley.jpg
    Entrance to Squaw Valley in Background, Typical Rocks in Foreground

About 80% of the way through the ride I taco'd my front rim, badly. I went over the bars and somehow landed on a wonderful bed of pine needles, instead of the granite and lava rock that litters most of this 20 mile trek.

After the crash the front wheel would not spin, period. I neglected to take a picture, but all that went through my head was, "I'm screwed, 5 mile hike with a bike on my back, coming up." The hoop was shot.

I started walking. About 10 minutes of this had me sit down on a tree stump and rethink my situation. I'm rather new to cycling, having grown up riding motos all over So. Cal and Mex. What would I have done in remote Mex? Bang and bend until I can make it go again!

I set the wheel on the stump I had been sitting on, put one knee at 9 o'clock, the other at 3 o'clock and flexed the thing into within 80% of straight. Then it was hammer with log, bend, mount, test, repeat, until after several rounds of this......it rolls!

I limped down to Olympic Bike Shop. Great tech kindly told me, "Your rim is beyond shot, don't pay me $25 to try to make it any straighter, use the $25 towards a new wheel." He suggested taking the bus to my ride, in Truckee, I rode the asphalt.

Anyhow, back home safe and now, needing a new front wheel. I would love some input on what to throw on it.

1) I am on a low budget, big family vacation coming up
    2) I love the idea of tubeless
    3) I am not concerned about weight, would prefer something beefier than what is on there, so I don't go through this again.
    4) A complete wheel, spokes, hub, may make the most sense. I have never built one.

Input? Ideas? Direction?

Thank you!
    Eric
    Reno, NV
    Last edited by bb5999; 06-23-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added 4)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Damn, dude... That blows! Good thing you okay. A friend of mine just bought one of those bikes, too. He got the version 2 (the hot orange one). I'm going to point him to this thread, so he'll know to be careful. Are you a bigger dude? What's your height and weight? Just curious because I'm a bigger dude, and wondering if that may have played a role. Also, I'm in NORCAL and want to get over to Tahoe to ride some of that stuff, too. Looks like that section you took on is fairly gnarly though, uh? What trail/area would you recommend as a first time ride for the area, which is a little more "tame?" Sorry I can't help with the wheel situation. I would've thought that the Fish had really decent wheels that came on it already.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by bb5999 View Post
    4) A complete wheel, spokes, hub, may make the most sense. I have never built one.

Input? Ideas? Direction?

Thank you!
    My suggestion: Get a wheel from your shop or direct from notubes.com with Arch EX rim, spokes with 1.7mm center section (wheelsmith DB14) and any hub to fit your budget. Should be <800g total. It's a low-cost upgrade that improve tire fitment and reduce weight.
    Last edited by Motivated; 06-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    M

On your left.
    Jan 2004

My suggestion: Get a wheel from your shop or direct from notubes.com with Arch EX rim, spokes with 1.7mm center section (wheelsmith DB14) and any hub to fit your budget. Should be <800g total. It's a low-cost upgrade that improve tire fitment and reduce weight.
    M

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by bb5999 View Post
    I took on a rough section of the Tahoe Rim Trail this morning, Brockway Summit to Tahoe City. Only my second real ride on a leftover 2012 Spearfish 29. Bike is bone stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-23 at 7.41.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	810545
    Track
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squaw_valley.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	810546
    Entrance to Squaw Valley in Background, Typical Rocks in Foreground

About 80% of the way through the ride I taco'd my front rim, badly. I went over the bars and somehow landed on a wonderful bed of pine needles, instead of the granite and lava rock that litters most of this 20 mile trek.

After the crash the front wheel would not spin, period. I neglected to take a picture, but all that went through my head was, "I'm screwed, 5 mile hike with a bike on my back, coming up." The hoop was shot.

I started walking. About 10 minutes of this had me sit down on a tree stump and rethink my situation. I'm rather new to cycling, having grown up riding motos all over So. Cal and Mex. What would I have done in remote Mex? Bang and bend until I can make it go again!

I set the wheel on the stump I had been sitting on, put one knee at 9 o'clock, the other at 3 o'clock and flexed the thing into within 80% of straight. Then it was hammer with log, bend, mount, test, repeat, until after several rounds of this......it rolls!

I limped down to Olympic Bike Shop. Great tech kindly told me, "Your rim is beyond shot, don't pay me $25 to try to make it any straighter, use the $25 towards a new wheel." He suggested taking the bus to my ride, in Truckee, I rode the asphalt.

Anyhow, back home safe and now, needing a new front wheel. I would love some input on what to throw on it.

1) I am on a low budget, big family vacation coming up
    2) I love the idea of tubeless
    3) I am not concerned about weight, would prefer something beefier than what is on there, so I don't go through this again.

Input? Ideas? Direction?

Thank you!
    Eric
    Reno, NV
    I would lace a WTB Frequency i23 to your current hub with DT Comp or similar spokes. Even if the shop builds it, it should be about the same as a whole new wheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    1st Suggestion take it to the shop you purchased it at and see if they can't just warranty the wheel for you being it is a brand new bike. My local shop has a good rep with Salsa and can usually make stuff happen.

2nd Suggestion if shop cannot warranty the wheel I also recommend Stan's hoops now if your a bigger guy I would just buy a set of Flow hoops and have them laced to your factory hubs or Arch's if your not a bigger guy just my opinion. What Spearfish is it the 2 or the 3? if it is the 2 your should have Stans Arch's and they shouldn't have been damaged so easily
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You screwed it up riding. Suck it up, fix it or replace it, move on. It didn't fall apart on its own. I kinda doubt it was a "defect".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    You screwed it up riding. Suck it up, fix it or replace it, move on. It didn't fall apart on its own. I kinda doubt it was a "defect".
    I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, I have had a wheel fail before and it was a defect and got it replaced under warranty.

I myself am hard on wheels and I know it so it is usually the first thing I replace. I have been really impressed with the way my Flows have handled everything I have thrown at them.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1 View Post
    1st Suggestion take it to the shop you purchased it at and see if they can't just warranty the wheel for you being it is a brand new bike. My local shop has a good rep with Salsa and can usually make stuff happen.

2nd Suggestion if shop cannot warranty the wheel I also recommend Stan's hoops now if your a bigger guy I would just buy a set of Flow hoops and have them laced to your factory hubs or Arch's if your not a bigger guy just my opinion. What Spearfish is it the 2 or the 3? if it is the 2 your should have Stans Arch's and they shouldn't have been damaged so easily
    According to the Salsa site the bike already had Flows. The WTB i23 is a proper tubeless rim with a bit more beef.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    According to the Salsa site the bike already had Flows. The WTB i23 is a proper tubeless rim with a bit more beef.
    They never put Flows on a Spearfish they did Archs on the nicer one's Flows came with the Horsethief's
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1 View Post
    They never put Flows on a Spearfish they did Archs on the nicer one's Flows came with the Horsethief's
    Sorry, was thinking Horsethief.

Would still prefer the WTBs.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Sorry, was thinking Horsethief.

Would still prefer the WTBs.
    No worries, we have WTB laser Disc trails on WTB racelight hubs on my wifes Niner EMD and for the money they are a good wheel and have stayed true.

I am just a Stans fanboy is all I have really thrashed them on my Horsethief and they are still holding up great.

Personally I don't think he could go wrong with either
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I never said it was defective. I don't expect a warranty replacement. Not sure where those ideas are coming from.

I hammered it and just want to buy/build a new wheel and get the bike back on the trail.

Simply looking for input on what to buy/build, weight not a concern, but I don't want to spend a fortune.

I'm 6' 1" 205lb. without gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    mine is a 3, the cheap one

6'1" 205 lb, fit. I destroyed it, caught minor air, at speed, then slammed into a rock.

A great ride, if you are in decent shape, is Tahoe Meadows along the Tahoe Rim Trail (even calendar days only) to Hobart road, then cut down to Marlette Lake, then find the flume back to Incline. Then you pay for a shuttle back up to your car, up on the summit. Can't go wrong.

If you want something a bit more mild, and shorter distance. Go up into Tahoe Donner, near the equestrian center, then ride the mts. back behind the ski slope.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I taco'ed mine, too, on ride four or so and I don't buck anything. 5'7 170. Was no bueno. The shop straightened it, but said it was a short term fix. I am looking for tubeless also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Another vote for Stan's Flow EX wheels. The WTB i23's would be a good choice, too.