mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Suspension fork preference for El Mariachi Ti?

I am building a used, but new to me, 2012 El Mariachi Ti. The bike came with a steel Firestarter fork, which I will use for an attempt at bike packing and winter riding, but I want to put a suspension fork on the bike. The frame uses a tapered head tube, so any modern tapered fork will work, and I will go with 100 mm travel.

Are there any dimensional or handling differences between Rock Shox and Fox forks that would make me go one way or the other? I have no real preference - I have Fox and Rock Shox forks on other bikes, and am comfortable working on either. Buy whatever is cheapest?

Also, I weigh 165 pounds, very much a XC rider, no big jumps or rough super technical riding. This bike will be for longer rides with lots of climbing on smoother trails, as I have a FS bike for rougher trails.

Steve

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I really like the Manitou Tower Pro cheap and very smooth. They use a small coil spring for the small bump compliance. Works for me. Their thru axle takes a bit of getting used to, but works very well . I prefer Fox to Rockshox . but they have lousy customer service. Just my two cents. Nice bike. I have a Ti Fargo