rth009
    May 2010

Which suspension fork for my El Mar Ti?

Its time to upgrade the 2009 era Fox F29 RL that came with by Big Mama and then served my EMT well for two long seasons. This is my only trail bike with suspension and it sees everything from smooth Western MT singletrack to Moab and CO Front Range, but is most often ridden somewhere in the middle. I dont know much about tinkering with suspension settings, I just mess with it enough to where it feels good and ride it, although I do lock out on pavement from time to time.

I definitely want 15mmQR, am 95% sure I want to get a new bottom headset cup and go tapered, and I would prefer black, but I could live with the white for a good deal. Durability is a very important consideration.

Looking at 2013 Reba 29 RLT (black) and 2013 Fox 32 FLOAT 29 100 FIT CTD with Trail Adjust (white), both are 15mmQR and tapered.

Im seeing the Reba for are $530 and the Fox for $630. The $530 Reba has the MotionControl PushLoc Remote, which I dont think I really need. It seems black tapered rebas with 15mm QR and no remote lockout are pretty rare on them internets.

Question: if you get the Reba with PushLoc can you take it off and have a crown adjust?

It seems like the CTD is good for a person such as me who doesnt know alot about suspension fine tuning in that it allows for some uncomplicated adjustments, but I know I dont really need that and Reba's have a pretty stellar reputation. I also like that you get a shock pump with the Reba

Another question: has anybody run the Fox Talas with adjustable travel (95mm/120mm) on an EMT? Ive seen plenty of people run 120mm forks on bikes made for 100mm and sometimes I think it would be nice to have slacker HA on steep descents. This is not a serious consideration, since its quite a bit more money, but I thought Id throw it out there, especially since the Talas is black.

Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I think the Reba would be great, myself. I've had a 100mm Reba with 9mm QR on a steel El Mariachi for a year and a half and I rather like it. But really, I'd probably just rebuild the Fox or maybe send it to Push for some very fine tuning and use that. It's still a great fork and it'll work quite well.

But, if you want to go new, I'd say get the Reba, get the remote lockout, and get used to using it.