mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Steerer tube length for a medium spearfish

I just ordered a medium Spearfish 1 frame. I found a new take off tapered fox f29 online. The steerer tube is cut at 180mm. The head tube length on the frame is 120mm on a medium. Probably going to use an enve or ritchey stem that is about 42mm tall. I am not sure which headset I am going to use yet.

Is that going to be cutting it close on length? I dont want to "slam" my stem, but I dont ever run it high. What do you guys think? I don't know enough about headsets. Sounds like if I run a integrated headset I should be fine and have a little flexibility with hight? Can I run a integrated on this frame?

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I put a Cane Creek Zerostack ( I believe that's what it's called) on my wife's medium...
    It's certainly got a much lower profile than my bike with a standard 1 1/8 headset. I didn't measure her steerer so I can't really help you there. If I get some time later, I'll take the fork off and measure everything.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It better - I got a new take off F29 that was just over 7" long, and I plan on putting it on a Large SF1. 120mm HT + ~42mm stem height still gives you ~15mm to play with, since that frame takes a Zerostack headset, the cane creex ZS has a 4mm stack height on the bottom, and and 8mm on top. 120+42+4+8= 174mm. You'll have room for a couple of 4mm headset spacers, which is just about perfect in my book.

If you want a few more mm to play with - the Syntace F109 series stems have a 38.5mm stack height, and weigh a few grams less than the Enve or Ritchey.