mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Starting to feel like the Spearfish is just too big of bike for me...

I've had my Spearfish for over a year now and have put lots of miles on it. It's great for so many things, but I'm starting to feel like it's a lot to handle. Maybe too much.

I live on the front range of Colorado, so much of the riding I do is on semi-tehnical, very rocky terrain. On fast, technical decents, I feel the bike is hard to correct if I get off my line and isn't very playful or forgiving in terms of handling.

I have built the bike from the frame up, and really hate to think of getting rid of it... but I'm really starting to look into either 29ers shorter chainstays. Also considering some of the upcoming 650b rides, or even going back to 26".

I'm just short of 5'10", 30" inseam, 150lbs and ride an 18" frame. Should I just stick with it or is the Spearfish just not the bike for me? Anyone else feel like it's just too long of a frame?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting to feel like the Spearfish is just too big of bike for me...-photo.jpg  

Bicycle Addict
    Last time I had that feeling I reduced my stem from 100mm to 90mm and that made a huge difference in handling. I still love my Spearfish after 2 years.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Go test riding...

I tried to force myself to go 29 full suspension since I mostly rode my 29 hard-tail. After a year on the Tallboy, I felt that the riding was a bit blah compared to my much heavier 26er full sus. or my rigid hard-tail.

Based on a bunch of 26er-29er demo rides, I find that a trail-ish 26er (something like a Pivot 5.7) is a better, more fun all rounder than the TB. Sold the Tallboy and back to the hard-tail for now.

I'm 5'9", I'm guessing that if I was 6' +, I feel better on the squishy 29ers.

That said: I still want to try the new S.P. Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVP View Post
    Go test riding...

I tried to force myself to go 29 full suspension since I mostly rode my 29 hard-tail. After a year on the Tallboy, I felt that the riding was a bit blah compared to my much heavier 26er full sus. or my rigid hard-tail.

Based on a bunch of 26er-29er demo rides, I find that a trail-ish 26er (something like a Pivot 5.7) is a better, more fun all rounder than the TB. Sold the Tallboy and back to the hard-tail for now.

I'm 5'9", I'm guessing that if I was 6' +, I feel better on the squishy 29ers.

That said: I still want to try the new S.P. Spearfish.
    Thanks for the feedback. Starting to lean towards a 26 All-Mountain. You're probably right though, I should look into some other options. The S.P. Spearfish will have shorter chainstays, which will address many of the issues I'm having with the current gen.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Starting to feel like the Spearfish is just too big of bike for me...

Agree - the Spearfish is not fun - it's not just the chainstays, but the whole package including shock response. I guess it wasn't designed to play, but for racking up the miles. But I also think Salsas just don't have that special sauce like a Yeti. Riding's got to be fun and life's too short to ride a dull bike. Find a bike you like better and sell the Spearfish.
    M

Bicycle Addict
    Man you guys are rough on the Spearfish. I love mine, and I think its loads of fun.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Man you guys are rough on the Spearfish. I love mine, and I think its loads of fun.
    I love mine too! I just don't know that it's the right tool for what I'm riding these days. I put a 120mm Fox Talas on the front, which helped a little with the terrain, but doesn't help the fact that it's just a huge freaking bike!