mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Spearfish vs Anthem X

Considering a Speafish 2 (no bikes in the area to test ride) since year end prices are great, or possible an Anthem X 29er. I have ridden the Giant and it seems nice, but what can one say about a parking lot session except that the bike fits? Really like the looks of the Spearfish, the component mix is good, but I am concerned about the 80mm rear travel... is is really enough? Here in SE Wisconsin the trails have lots of rocks and roots, but not not alot over 2-4" stuff. I don't do any big drops and enjoy climbing. Rear traction is paramount. Most rides are under 20 miles. I have alot of experience, mountain biking since 1986!

So, is the Spearfish a reasonble XC recreational bike? I know it is not plush, but efficient. Any personal experience with the Spearfish regarding ride and handling would be welcome.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 spearfish 2. Full season of racing and trail riding under it's belt! Great all around bike! It does just about everything great in stock form. Just changed out the brakes to Shimano XT.. It climbs, handles, corners perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Spearfish

How about suspension compliance with smaller stuff like roots? Can the suspension be tuned to be more supple, yet pretty efficient with climbs??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnwheels View Post
    How about suspension compliance with smaller stuff like roots? Can the suspension be tuned to be more supple, yet pretty efficient with climbs??
    I've finally found the sweet spot on my 2011 spearfish for similar conditions to what you describe. I'm running about 70% of my body weight for rear shock pressure. It was way too stiff using the 90% that rockshox recommended.
    Last edited by amadkins; 10-16-2012 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a Spearfish 1 I built up and after some tuning I am very happy with its performance. Works well in the roots, rocks and climbs in my area. Coming from a hardtail I set it up fairly stiff but seems to be efficient at the softer settings too. IMO the fox shock and 142 x 12 axle of the "1" do make a difference in the way the rear suspension performs. Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was looking at these two bikes, and the GF Superfly 100 when I bought my fish.

Keep in mind I always rode hardtails, and I wanted an FS that would take the edge off, yet climb like a hardtail with no noticeable bob.

The fish was the only bike that did that for me. And I felt it descended more confidently than the other two bikes as well.

Combine that with the simple rear design with less moving parts (less maintenance and less crap to break), and I was sold.

It's not super plush over the small stuff, but takes the edge off. I have done some decent sized drops on it and it felt great. Looking at the red rings that measure travel, it appears I have bottomed out, but I never felt it.

I bought the bike in AZ, but now I live in PA (rockiest trails I have ever seen) and it really shines here.

Anthem is a great bike as well, but for me the feel of the Spearfish sold me 100% and made my decision super easy. Climbs like a freaking goat (actually beat all my Strava times on climbs that I set on my old hardtail) and descends VERY confidently (CRUSHED all my DH times on my hardtail).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnwheels View Post
    Considering a Speafish 2 (no bikes in the area to test ride) since year end prices are great, or possible an Anthem X 29er. I have ridden the Giant and it seems nice, but what can one say about a parking lot session except that the bike fits? Really like the looks of the Spearfish, the component mix is good, but I am concerned about the 80mm rear travel... is is really enough? Here in SE Wisconsin the trails have lots of rocks and roots, but not not alot over 2-4" stuff. I don't do any big drops and enjoy climbing. Rear traction is paramount. Most rides are under 20 miles. I have alot of experience, mountain biking since 1986!

So, is the Spearfish a reasonble XC recreational bike? I know it is not plush, but efficient. Any personal experience with the Spearfish regarding ride and handling would be welcome.
    I assume you ride Kettle a lot, i get up there a number of times a year, great stuff.

The spearfish is great for those fast sections that lead into the rock gardens, on blue loop, it stays stable and confident and keeps you from getting beat. I really want to go ride a double monty on our shops demo spearfish sometime i have a chance. perfect bike for those trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Spearfish and Kettles

Thanks for the reply. I generally ride the Northern Kettle Trails which are much more rocky than the John Muir trails. I am a bit concerned about being beat up by the scrable and only 80 mm of travel with the Spearfish. I guess 80 mm is not the biggest issue, but how active and compliant can it be with out turning into a climbing slug?

Rode my friends new carbon Tallboy yesterday and it is a nice bike, but 29.5 lbs and $4K My Superlight 650b conversion is lighter, accelerated better, but does not have nearly the suspension sophistication of the TB. I like simple so the Spearfish still intrigues me.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Let me say this...I ride Kettle as well, a couple times a year.

I used to have a Rumblefish, which had 110mm of rear travel, with a DRCV shock that gave full usage of every last mm.

I have a Spearfish. To be precise, I have the Superfish.. Even with 'only' 80mm of travel in the rear, it is never overwhelmed by midwest trails. Lack of travel is just never an issue. 2-4" rocks and roots are not an issue.

If you enjoy climbing, you owe it to yourself to try a Spearfish. It's an amazing climbing machine--it just hooks up and goes, in any conditions.

Everything you post makes me think Spearfish. Simple, climbing, good in the Midwest, able to handle Kettle's trails...the Spearfish uses its travel efficiently. No bob, no sea-sawing...it just works. On the trail, it feels like more than 80mm. Here's what I'll say: it's there when you need rear suspension...and the rest of the time, you just don't notice it. The rear stays planted, and it just goes like stink.

I got mine from the shop that Hand of Midas works at...North Central Cyclery. She's a beaut.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    ... Here's what I'll say: it's there when you need rear suspension...and the rest of the time, you just don't notice it.
    Very well said. I have tried to find a way to describe this bike's handling, and you just did it. Thank you.