mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Spearfish - Rockshox Ario RL Shock

Hi Salsa Gang.

I've just bought an early Spearfish frame which is fitted with an 80mm Rockshox Ario RL shock on it. I haven't heard of the Ario. I was expecting a Monarch shock and never thought to ask. Any info or experience with the Ario would be welcome.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Don't know much about it, but I have a Monarch R that came with my 2011 spearfish. I replaced it with a Fox RP23 if anyone's interested. $100 plus shipping. It's almost brand new. The dimensions are 6.5x1.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Lemon - anyone else replaced their Rockshox with a Fox? Do they require special tuning when put on a bike they did not originally come with?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Don't know much about it, but I have a Monarch R that came with my 2011 spearfish. I replaced it with a Fox RP23 if anyone's interested. $100 plus shipping. It's almost brand new. The dimensions are 6.5x1.5
    Did you notice a big change going from the Monarch to the Fox RP23? This is my first FS bike, so I have little to compare to, but I have heard that the Monarch is not the best.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onpaperwings View Post
    Did you notice a big change going from the Monarch to the Fox RP23? This is my first FS bike, so I have little to compare to, but I have heard that the Monarch is not the best.
    I haven't gotten a chance to ride the bike with the RP23 yet except around the neighborhood. The Monarch R was not bad just a bit springy and it just didn't have any adjustability, it was just on. No options to firm up the ride or let it hang which the RP23 has. I have the RP23 of a few other bikes and I've been pretty happy with it so far.