mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Spearfish, new frame/build.

Found out last night they've dropped the frame price on these. Assuming i can get it by Weds, i can't see any reason i won't have it built and ready to roll by Friday this week. Only downside is the Pressfit bottom bracket which isn't my favourite thing in the world. Will probably buy it in Orange today.

Bought in a Large and in Orange...

Looking forward to getting it built up this week

Just bought a BB converter to allow me to run my HTII cranks. Also have a HOPE Headset on my desk that will be going on it.

Debating the cranks configuration but for now will be running 1x10 with a Superstar XCR chainguide until i decide.

Cranks are off the Giant and ready to be fitted. I've swapped out to Singlespeed chainring bolts and running just a 32T middle on this bike. Up to now i'm still using a ramped chainring as it's in transition/testing phase, but will swap to a decent 32T Renthal etc if i stick with this config.

So off to the LBS tomorrow morning to get the headset fitted and discuss the BB options. I've bought the BB Adaptor kit from CRC which allows me to run a standard Shimano HT II bottom bracket as i have an XTR BB here unused and spare. However depending on what the LBS mechanic rekons i may just fit a standard Pressfit BB30 bottom bracket.

The Hope headset is all ready to be installed. I have noticed though that my cranks are silver !!!!! Which i'm not exactly happy about so may have to invest in a set of black cranks lol. Then again, a nice set of orange Raceface cranks may have to go on

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have been using the Parlee PF 30 to 24mm axle bearing conversion and it has worked perfectly. I have 1500 miles+ on my Spearfish 1 with Rotor cranks with not one creak or noise. They use quality Enduro bearings. My two cents.

turtles make me hot
    I'm currently building an orange medium for my wife. I used the Praxxis Works bottom bracket. It works mint. I have her bike going together as a 2x10 with a Shimano XT crankset with the big ring removed.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BB went in brilliantly with the adaptors from Chain reaction....

That was the only bit that's gone well up to now LOL.

Well i've stripped the Giant XTC29 frame which has now been sold on, started on the build of the spearfish.

This is where it's all gone a little wrong.

The steerer on the fork is (i think) too short. I'm running a 45mm stack height stem, with a Hope headset. (Not fitted the head doctor insert yet, still has the SFN installed). So my problem is that the steerer comes up short by 22mm. So, i've been doing a few calculations and what i realistically need is a 20mm stack height stem. A 15mm would be even better...

I'm not hugely concerned about the length/reach on it at this stage as i've no idea what the bike is like anyway hahaha.

Ragley Stubbing Stem | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Ragley stubbing seems to be stack height of 30-32 depending on who measured it.... That would put my top of fork steerer 3mm below top of stem....

We'd be happy with that ?

mtbr member
    Nice shop! I don't think a different stem is going to help your stack height issue. Your headset looks pretty slim as well. I'd be looking for a new fork or new uppers.

turtles make me hot
    Really man. At the very least, you want the steerer tube to pass the top bolt.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So i've ordered a set of forks. What i'll do is also order a stem tonight, and one of the two will be being sent back. I think with the Ragley stem it MAY do the job... but it's tricky to say. Fitting the forks means i've got to sell the Fox's which i honestly do like lots.. but i'd get a decent price for them, especially considering the deal Merlin are currently doing on REBAs

Rockshox Reba RLT 29er 2012 | Rockshox Suspension Forks | Merlin Cycles

Apart from the fork issue, the overall build went... reasonably well.

Sadly my rear brake cable either needs routing along the top tube (which i don't fancy in all honesty) or replacing with a longer brake hose. It's about 608" too short. I could theoretically re-route using some of the CRC cable stick on guides... but, if you're going to do a job, do it properly i guess. So will get a new hose on there.

The gearing is sorted, the chainguide is sorted, bars sorted and even the seat is on there and funnily enough my old charge spoon was orange too lol. So not all is lost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good old CRC got the part to me bright and early...

So, i rekon i'm happy with that... However i'm prepared to bow to the knowledge of the forumites.... but looks appropriate to me.

I accept i've got no spacers, therefore no room for adjustment, it's just one of them things, i'll improvise using higher/lower/longer/narrower bars i guess...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well here's the final pic and final spec (needs a few bits fitting when they arrive)
    Salsa Spearfish, size large.
    Hope Pro2 Evo with Crests.
    Bontrage Mud-x
    Formula Mega (rear)
    Formula K18 (Front)
    Formula rotors
    Fox float 32 F100 / 15mm maxle
    XTR Bottom bracket mounted in PF converters to standard BB.
    Rockshox Monarch
    SLX 10 speed shifter
    Shimano full lenght gear cable.
    Deore cranks running a 32T
    SLX cassette 11-36
    SRAM generic chain
    Superstar XCR-st chainguide
    Funn fatboy riser bars
    Hope Headset
    Ragley stubbing stem
    Well B-54 pedals
    Giant lock-on grips
    Salsa seatclamp
    Charge Spoon

To be fitted : SLX shadow+ rear mech. Renthal 32T chainring.

Riding the bike in the street, i'm VERY happy with how it rides... it's a lovely bike/shape/position. However, i've swapped the bars off from this photo to risers due to issues hitting the top-tube of frame with the bottom of shifter. I'll decide on Thurs (working from home) which set of bars i prefer to ride with and set accordingly.