Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spearfish Lightness?

How light have you been able to make your Spearfish? Details please like what size is the frame and your spec.

mtbr member
    delete.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    This new MTBR format

Here is my Spearfish 1. 21.7lbs as pictured with pedals, bottle cage and bar ends. A lot of Sram XX, KCNC, American Classic Race Wheelset and Schwalbe tires. At 170lbs all of these parts are very durable. I've been cranking away on this bike and I'm loving it.

C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Damn. 21.7? My stock size S Spearfish 3 is 29.x lbs. Would definitely like for it to be lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking at building one of these for my wife and I was wondering if a small could be built under 24lbs or not. You proved it can. What do you think of it? Can you lock out the rear suspension or is it just pro pedal? Do you know what the Salsa warranty is? Nice build!

mtbr member
    Salsa warranty is 5 years I believe.
    Small 2012 SF2
    M785 Shimano XT brakes and rotors
    Thomson post
    Specialized Fast trak 2.2 2bliss tires
    XT pedals
    26.5lbs
    With Roval Control carbon 29 (demo set) A hair over 25lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

25 pounds with pedals

The build:
    16" Spearfish 1 frame
    Reba RLT 29 fork
    Easton EC70 Post
    Niner Flat Top Carbon Bars
    XT Plus RD
    X0 FD
    XT Shifters
    XT 11-36 Cassette
    XO Crank with Race Face 38/26 rings
    Specialized Carbon Roval Wheelset
    Rocket Ron front Maxxis Ikon EXO rear.
    XT Brakes with XT Rotors
    XTR Pedals
    ergon Grips
    Specialized Phenom saddle.

The spearfish frame is a incredible value for the money. My carbon Blur XC weighed more than my aluminum spearfish

I could make it a pound lighter with xx1 and XX components but I like it where it's at as far as affordability and replacement part costs go. I can't stomach the cost of those xx1 and xx cassettes..

Rear suspension is full open or propedal for 2012 Spearfish 1s. 2013 Bikes come with CTD rear shocks that can be locked out.

mtbr member
    I love my SF1. I came from a Tallboy Carbon which is also a sweet bike, however I love Salsa geo and fit over SC. Salsa specs the 2012 SF1 with a REALLY weak propedal spring in the RP2 shock. I found out that I could send it back to Fox and for $50 they will retune the propedal. I went from the OE 16lb spring to a 65lb spring and man what a difference that made when the propedal is on. I get a sweet firm but smooth ride in open mode and when PP is on is ultra firm but not locked out. The 2013 SF1 comes with CTD, however they could still spec it to have a low PP spring. You will need to see the values on the shock to see how they tuned it.
    C-DALE BB1

AOK
    mtbr member

Spearfish Lightness?

Post up your Spearfish weight and how you got it there!

Already a thread on this, fwiw. I have mine down to about 24.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    This new MTBR format

Here is my Spearfish 1. 21.7lbs as pictured with pedals, bottle cage and bar ends. A lot of Sram XX, KCNC, American Classic Race Wheelset and Schwalbe tires. At 170lbs all of these parts are very durable. I've been cranking away on this bike and I'm loving it.

DELETED AS I AM APPARENTLY INCORRECT. (Still quoted for posterity below).
    Last edited by lawfarm; 03-10-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: The incredible can be true.

mtbr member
    Ride against the grain:

That's why I love the Spearfish. It's such a sleeper and underestimated even by other Spearfish owners like yourself. I am a little surprised that you aren't a little more open-minded to the idea of a light Spearfish since you do a lot bike reviews on your blog. You can choose to call BS which is fine by me because my claim to 21.7 is legit. If you're in So. Cal near Laguna Beach I'd be happy to take the weight challenge by you or anyone els (BYOS=bring your own scale). I do agree this no "magic" build but you should recognize I am running some trick parts.

I'm on my phone so I'm not going to post all the parts and weight; just a few highlights. But I will correct you on your assumed weight vs reality.

5.4 lbs= SF1 med w RR skewer
    3.78 lbs =Fox Fit RLC w TUNE 15mm skewer
    1410gms= AC race 29 taped and valves
    505gms= Rocket Tons
    360gms= Furious Feeds
    120gms= KCNC SC Bone 600mm bar
    99gms= KCNC team fly stem 90mm
    73/65gms= KCNC rotors 160/140 respectively
    113gm= Token x wing saddle
    130gm=Ralston seat post 350mm
    Please post your build and you will quickly see where the differences are. The numbers are real.

There is a picture of my bike on a scale in my photo album along w some more detailed photos.

Cheers and long live the Spearfish!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've gone through and done the math, and tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll not rally against your weight as being BS, but I cannot come up with any legit way of building a 2x10 Spearfish that is 21.7 pounds. You definitely have some lightweight parts, I'll give you that. But a 2x10 that's 2 pounds lighter than a singlespeed? A 2x10 that's several pounds lighter than my 1x10 carbon lefty, ENVE rim'd baby?

It's a nice bike...that much we can agree upon.

mtbr member
    "lawfarm:
    I've gone through and done the math, and tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll not rally against your weight as being BS, but I cannot come up with any legit way of building a 2x10 Spearfish that is 21.7 pounds. You definitely have some lightweight parts, I'll give you that. But a 2x10 that's 2 pounds lighter than a singlespeed? A 2x10 that's several pounds lighter than my 1x10 carbon lefty, ENVE rim'd baby?"

It's not rocket science my friend. No special calculator needed here and I told you, I'm more than willing to hang it on any scale. You can't spec your bike with a couple of light parts and expect the entire bike to be light. If you want light, you have to use ALL light parts and that's what I did. Looking at weight from a perspective of drivetrain: SS vs 1x10 vs 2x10 is pointless if you don't consider all of the parts in the build.
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    It's not rocket science my friend. No special calculator needed here and I told you, I'm more than willing to hang it on any scale. You can't spec your bike with a couple of light parts and expect the entire bike to be light. If you want light, you have to use ALL light parts and that's what I did. Looking at weight from a perspective of drivetrain: SS vs 1x10 vs 2x10 is pointless if you don't consider all of the parts in the build.
    It's a pretty bike, either way. For sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Spearfish 1-Large
    XX shifters & derailleurs
    XT 11-36 cassette
    Rotor 2 x 10 crankset 40/28 (using this crankset w/36 tooth for XX 1 also)
    Time ATAC XS pedals
    Magura MT 8 Brakes
    Magura TS 8 SL Fork
    Syntace seatpost, stem & carbon bar
    Chris King hubs, Stans Arch EX, DB spokes
    26.1 lbs
    Installing XX 1 soon using Hope rear hub. Looking to drop near 1/2 pound but doing it mostly for the 1 x set up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Agreed - I am planning on building up a '13 from a frame. I have a spreadsheet all worked up with the parts/pieces I think I want to use, with gram counts and such. Even including my heavy time ATAC XS pedals, I'm coming in at sub 24 building it 2x10. Knowing this is all based on the published weights of parts, I'm running a separate column for real-world weight as I get the parts/pieces. I do a real-world build, that Iplan on putting a lot of miles on - so cost effectiveness I can't splurge on things like roval wheels and XX cassettes. I've already got a couple of parts on the shelf that I've been able to realize that published gram counts aren't perfect - so far I'm only 50 grams over my estimate.

As long as i come in sub 25, I'm happy, as it will be lighter than the 26'er it is replacing.

Maybe when I get down to the actual build, I'll document everything being assembled with weights and we can all see where it ends up - light or not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    It's a pretty bike, either way. For sure.
    I have the original 2011 and I have been running it 1x9 for two years, coming in at 23.8 lbs with pedals. Reba RLT tapered QR, ritchey superlogic carbon bar, thomson stem/post, Sram xo crank, rear der, shifter and brakes, KMC 10xsl chain, ngear/spot bashguard, crest wheels with RR 2.25 front and IKon rear and selle italia slr 135 gram saddle.

Lawfarm, I enjoyed your blog about the "superfish". I was wondering how you like the Fox CTD rear shock on the bike. Have you had some riding experience with it now?
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I should know this - but does the current frame include the 142mm rear axle? If it doesn't, what options do I have other than the RockShox Maxle and Maxle light? I can't find much out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The rear axle that come with it is already pretty light. Around 74 grams. You could use these for the front fork but you pay through the nose for just 30 grams of weight savings.

Tune DC15 Thru Axle Skewer : Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks Painkiller - I just wasn't sure if the frame came with one or not. I'm also assuming that since it comes with the frame, that the stated frame weight is including that skewer.

Yeah - 1-bar mentioned the Tune QR15 axle in his build. I had checked them out, but again, I'm just not that worried about weight when my projection should have my build under 24lbs without having to go all out on weight weenie parts.

mtbr member
    When I look at QBP's website, it doesn't show the 12x142 axle as being included on the 2013 SF1s but maybe the dealers are including it? However my 2012 came with it. I haven't found any light weight rear 12x142 alternatives yet.
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2010
    We got 10" of snow on Tuesday...so I'm still riding the Mukluk right now...

mtbr member

Spearfish Lightness?

Until I see it hanging on a scale, I'm going to have to call BS on 21.7 pounds, running a 2x10 drivetrain on a SF1, with Rocket Rons. I have a medium SF1, running ENVE carbon wheels, 1x10 XX drivetrain, Rocket Rons, Lefty carbon fork, carbon bars, seatpost and stem, no bottle cage, etc., and I'm hoping for 24.

There's just no way you're at 21.7 pounds with the build shown in the picture. Those wheels are just under 1500 grams. Mine are a bit lighter than that. The Rocket Ron, assuming that its lightest version, is about 520 grams, the Furious Fred a bit less. You've got nearly 6 pounds in wheels and tires alone. The crank is 1.5 pounds by itself. The frame is 6 pounds, if it's a medium. The fork is 4 pounds by itself. So the brakes, brake lines, seatpost, saddle, stem, shifters, cables, cassette, front and rear derailleur, chain, bottle cage, grips, bar ends, valve stems, brake rotors, shock, pedals, etc., all weigh less than 4 pounds? And I'm being generous with the weights I'm quoting, rounding down to the nearest 1/2 pounds.

Let's see a zeroed out scale, and then the bike hanging from it showing 21.7 pounds in that spec. There's just no way. I've seen a lot of classy Spearfish builds. 21.7 pounds is just not in the realm of reason--especially running 2x10. It's unbelieveable...in the sense of being not believable. I've seen you post this elsewhere as well. Prove it. I can zero out my scale with 5 pounds hanging on it, and show a sub-20 weight in a picture...just showing it hanging on a scale at 21.7 pounds doesn't cut it, either...let's see a full build list with weights. 21.7 just isn't possible. Look in the other SF weight thread. There's a bunch of bikes all around 25 pounds. This build isn't magically 3.3 pounds lighter. There's a SINGLESPEED SF in the other thread that's 23 pounds. I call BS.
    Lol this coming from the guy who claimed he did 90 miles in 5.5 hours on a fatty.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Lol this coming from the guy who claimed he did 90 miles in 5.5 hours on a fatty.
    Glad you read the blog. Not sure why that's unbelievable...On that century ride, it took a long time to do the first 12 miles in a group. Thereafter, I had perfect weather, favorable wind and clear roads. Averaging 16mph isn't terribly amazing on flat roads. And as I said in that post, I rode "into" the relatively calm wind in the morning, and in the afternoon when the winds picked up, I was on my way home and had a tailwind. It was a ride where I set out to cover miles, and had the psyche and setup to do so.

You're welcome to come here to Illinois for a repeat, if ya'd like.

Building a bike Spearfish that is ostensibly several pounds lighter than any other Spearfish out there...that seems a bit incredible to me. Riding 90 miles in 5.5 hours isn't that spectacular, if that's what you put yourself to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Building a bike Spearfish that is ostensibly several pounds lighter than any other Spearfish out there...that seems a bit incredible to me. Riding 90 miles in 5.5 hours isn't that spectacular, if that's what you put yourself to.
    Seeing as I had a build spreadsheet for my upcoming build already built up on Google Drive, I figured I'd step in and add my 2-cents to this argument. Looking at 1-bar's build and numbers he's provided - I threw that all into a copy of my spreadsheet. I made some guesses on some parts, but the weights i went with were either manufacturer's quoted (which with SRAM are always in the ballpark) or I found actual weights quoted in threads that showed the parts on a scale. I don't doubt any of those, cause I found more than one thread on them. (rotors, token saddle, etc..) Actually a buddy of mine has the same token saddle that 1-bar claims is 113, and his weighed 89g.

The total weight I came up with = 21.73lbs.

Here's a link to the spreadsheet to see where the weight was, and what I threw into my total.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1E&usp=sharing

I'd like to point out that my fork is 113g lighter than 1-bars quote for his same model. Throw his Tune skewer into mine, and it's more like 150grams that could come off this total.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast