mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Spearfish Headset Requirements

Hey Salsa Gang,

I've just got a 2012 SF frame (I think it's 2012 because it's orange, has a Rockshox Monarch, and 9mm QR dropout).

I'm looking at the Hopetech website for the right Hope 'Pick and Mix' headset parts to fit my 1 1/8 straight steerer-tube Fox F29. Is anybody able to advise on which particular bits I require?

Thanks, Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well no replies so I did a little research.

The Spearfish has a new style "Tapered" headtube which is wider at the bottom than at the top, so you require two different sized units to be 'pressed' into the frame. The Tapered Head Tube (along with the rival 44mm headtube standard) is on most new bikes now and the traditional 1 & 1/8th is being phased out.

Anyway: the tech spec sheet of the Spearfish specifies:

ZS44/28.6 upper & ZS56/40 lower.

ZS = zero stack (ie. adds minimal height to the head tube assembly)
    I'm hoping my medium Spearfish and zero stack headseat will produce about the same overall height as my traditional 1 & 1/8th 2011 El-Mariachi Ti headtube with Chris King (which is about 130mm overall).

As well as taking the newer tapered forks, the tapered headtubes are also backwardly compatible with the traditional straight 1 1/8th inch (28.6) steerer forks by way of a converter used with the lower part. (note: the headset upper is already 28.6 as the top section of a tapered steerer tube is the same diameter as the old ones).
    I think some brands may do a dedicated separate lower unit but I have not researched this.

Why I chose the Hope product.

I currently have an old-stye straight steer fork, but I want the option of fitting a tapered fork in future without buying and re-pressing a whole new headset. Here in the UK, Hope have a very good reputation and I've had excellent experiences with their products, so their 'Pick and Mix' headset (which allows you to convert back & forth between the Tapered and Straight steerers) seemed like a good choice for me.

Here is a link to Hope's Technical page on Headset specs.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ETS2011Web.pdf

Scoll down to the Compatible Headtubes section and check out Tapered/E2 + the HS136 1 1/8th -1.5" Lower Steerer Crown Converter. I guess I'll need a top cap as I already have a star-nut in my fork steerer.

Tim
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 12-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.