mtbr member

Is Spearfish enough bike for Pisgah?

I have been thinking about getting a dual suspension 29er and was looking at a bunch of different bikes when I found a Spearfish 2 in a shop in Asheville for a killer deal. And it's my size. Just wondering if this would be a good bike for the Pisgah area in NC or if I should look at something with a little more travel. Pisgah is well known for being rocky, rooty, and technical. But people ride it on everything from downhill bikes to rigid hard tails. This bike is at about half the price of even a low-end Tallboy or Jet 9.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I actually built up my Spearfish to take the edge off Pisgah. I'm in Charlotte. I wanted something that climbed like a hardtail, but that I could open up more on the downs. Is it a SF 1 or 2? You should be aware that Salsa has redesigned the frame. People may start dumping the older version.

mtbr member
    It's a 2. But they have it for $2K.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I've actually only ridden Pisgah once but it didn't seem super tech to me. What I did notice was the crazy amount of climbing. I'd think the Spearfish would be a great bike out there.

mtbr member
    Spearfish would be great for the climbing there. Depending on how you like to feel on descents, you might want something a little slacker with more travel. I ran into a couple of guys riding Spearfishes there and they had no problems. They also seemed like racers, though, so they probably wanted something that favored climbing.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

On your left.
    Jan 2004

One way to think about this is relating the bikes capabilities to capabilities of possible tires. My Spearfish could exceed the limits of Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs on downhills - means I'm going to overwhelm the tire before the bike. Nobby Nics are about status quo with the Spearfish. I never tried, but I image Hans Dampf would be too much tire. On technical climbs I found the rear susp itself did not enhance traction much and the tire had to make up the difference. I needed more grab than a RaRa could provide, forget about Ikons, SB8s, etc. RoRos are acceptable, but NoNics are better. So, it's a Nobby Nic bike for various reasons.
    I hope the Split Pivot Spearfish has more natural rear traction on tech climbs making RoRo possible (for me) on the rear.
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I've actually only ridden Pisgah once but it didn't seem super tech to me.
    Pisgah is a big place. Some parts aren't too technical, while others, like Pilot rock, Spencer Gap, etc., eat bikes for lunch and still come back hungry.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I got my 2012 Spearfish 2 for about $2,000 (off from $2,700) last January and it was a great deal.

Although I have not mountain biked in Pisgah, I have ridden my SF2 all over the Ozark Mountains in Missouri and Arkansas (known for rocks, roots and climbing) and have never had a problem with the "short" travel. I weigh 160 lbs and I don't feel much of any pedal-bob and have never bottomed-out my shocks.

mtbr member
    Are there any parts you would swap out? How is that Rock Shock fork? Would it be worth another $400 or so to swap it for a Fox?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The only parts I have changed on the stock SP 2012:

- Continental Mountain King II Protection tires: Continental Bicycle -*Mountain King II
    - WTB Pure V Race saddle: Pure V | Wilderness Trail Bikes
    - Shortened the wide-as handle bar
    - went tubeless with Stans (on stock wheels)

As for the front fork, I don't have a ton of experience with other forks, but I haven't been unhappy at all with the Reba RLT. Yes, a Fox fork would be a bit more supple, but I would probably spend the $400 extra on good clipless pedals and shoes if you don't already have them.

mtbr member
    Well, I decided to go ahead and get the bike. $2,280 with the Fox fork. Seems like a good deal. Picking it up Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome! That seems like a super-good deal and I'm sure you will love the bike.

mtbr member

Re: Is Spearfish enough bike for Pisgah?

Picked it up today and got in a short ride. Need to swap out the bars, but otherwise pretty good fit. If anyone is looking, they still have 2 more mediums priced at 2K. The shop is Liberty Bikes in Asheville.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bike, esp. for 2,280. Have fun
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    I have gotten about 4 hours of riding in on the bike so far. A few observations - the cockpit feels way shorter than my medium Niner EMD. I measured and it was about an inch shorter from center of seatpost to center of stem. I like to ride kind of stretched out (I guess that comes from being a part time roadie), so I pushed the seat all the way back and flipped/slammed the stem to lower it just a bit. Still feels a little cramped, but I can live with it.

I had them swap the stock bars for ones that weren't quite as swept back. I guess I am too old-school to like these new super-wide handlebars. The ones they put on were 4" wider that what I was used to. I cut 2" off already and may cut a bit more.

What's the deal with that low water bottle cage? You need chimpanzee arms to reach that thing.

Overall, I like the way the bike feels. Still getting used to it, but I think I will be riding this one for a long time. I know it won't be new for long, but while it is, I sure am enjoying the perfect shifting and braking. And it has been dry around here lately, so I haven't even gotten it muddy yet. I know that will come soon enough.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the update. We seem to have different cockpit preferences - I like the shorter/tighter medium size. To me, the bottle cage doesn't seem too low, but I guess I have longer arms. I'm just happy to have a bottle cage mount as many FS bikes don't have them.

I agree about the super-wide bars. I cut 1.25" off of each side to make it more reasonable and less prone to hit trees.

Have fun getting the Spearfish muddy!

On your left.
    Jan 2004

OP is the Spearfish enough bike for Pisgah?
    M

mtbr member

Re: Is Spearfish enough bike for Pisgah?

I haven't been to Pisgah yet with it, but it was perfect for DuPont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Mike how tall are you?

mtbr member
    About 5' 8", if you count the hair.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hm, I'm 5'9" and was looking at getting a Small; is that what size Spearfish you got? What's your inseam?

mtbr member
    I got a medium. 30" inseam. Seems like a small would be way too small for 5'9". But I'm no bike fit expert.