mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Spearfish chain keeper or chain catcher?

Is anybody running any sort of chain catcher or chain keeper on their Spearfish to keep the chain from coming off the granny gear?

I was planning on using the Sram PF30 adapter/outboard BB adapter with my KEdge Dirt chain catcher (which works really well). The KEdge normally replaces the 2.5mm BB spacer on the drive side. But I found that the PF30 adapter has a counterbore on the outside, which prevents the KEdge from sitting flush on it like it would on a bare BB shell.

It seems like with the PF30 adapter that I have, or even with the problem solver adapter/PF30 BB approach, there is no way to mount any kind of chain catcher to the BB area.

Does the Spearfish exhibit a tendency to drop the chain to the inside on rough terrain or during shifts? What are people using to prevent this?

Thanks for any help.

NedwannaB
    Are you trying to fix something that isn't broke yet or just wanting to add gadgets?
    I'm running a triple with no chain drop issues.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, I don't think I've ever had a bike that didn't drop the chain when bombing down rocky terrain. The KEdge only adds like 10g to the bike, but won't work with the PF30 bb.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i broke a chain a few times on mine but it was a bad chain,i only have about 1k miles on mine but ive never sucked or dropped a chain using xt fd and raceface cranks/rings

NedwannaB

Must be your setups then

Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    Well, I don't think I've ever had a bike that didn't drop the chain when bombing down rocky terrain. The KEdge only adds like 10g to the bike, but won't work with the PF30 bb.
    Only time I ever have that happen is once and a great while on a tecky uphill. If you feel the need to put one on do it regardless of what we advise here on the interwebz.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....