mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Spearfish 2 thoughts

I'm finally going to upgrade / replace my 9 year old Giant Anthem 3. I was looking at the Spearfish 2 as one option (wish I could afford the Spearfish 1 - but a little out of my price range).

Does anyone have any experience with this model? Thoughts? Upgrades?

Spearfish 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

My typical riding is single track dirt. Looking at some potential downhill. And this will travel west to the mountains and Moab area.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tigers love pepper...
    I had a older single pivot 2011 Spearfish 2 and while it was a GREAT bike, if you are looking at some "downhill" and travelling West to CO/Moab I think you should take a hard look at the Horsethief 2.

My Spearfish was just not quite enough out here (Grand Junction & Fruita, Moab) for an overall trail bike. I am now on a Horsethief 1 and think it's just about perfect for me. As I go back and re-ride the more technical stuff like Captain Ahab or Porcupine Rim in Moab, and stuff like Holy Cross & Butterknife in GJ.... the Horsethief really shines, with hardly any penalty on the climbs.

Horsethief 2 is the same MSRP as the Spearfish 2 so price shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Looking at the 2006 Giant anthem 3 specs, it appears you had about 80mm front and back previously. If that's enough suspension for you and your riding style than by all means the Spearfish is a WONDERFUL bike. But your comment about downhill and Moab make me think a little extra travel would be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cobi - Thanks. I ended up being in the right place at the right time and had an opportunity to get a Spearfish RS-1 so I grabbed it while it was available. I bet the Horsethief does shine out there. I'm sure I'll be taking this one out there later this year to ride and hopefully not too many penalties with this ride.

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm sure you'll love it. If you use Facebook, check out the Spearfish Group.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by tammyvh View Post
    Cobi - Thanks. I ended up being in the right place at the right time and had an opportunity to get a Spearfish RS-1 so I grabbed it while it was available. I bet the Horsethief does shine out there. I'm sure I'll be taking this one out there later this year to ride and hopefully not too many penalties with this ride.
    How's the Fish working out so far? Putting finishing touches on getting mine back up and running again.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....