mtbr member
    May 2013

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion

Wanted to share a few photos from my recent upgrade to 1x10 on my 2012 Salsa Spearfish 2.

The biggest reasons for this upgrade was to simplify the bike, lose weight, and clean up the appearance. Based on this great blog by @lawfarm, I took the leap and couldn't be happier.

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion-img_5816.jpg

I went with a MRP Bling Ring and finally decided on a 30 T based on my old 2x10 setup which had 26/39 up front.

Thankfully, the stock 2012 Spearfish 2 cranks are S1400 which were compatible with the Bling Ring. I love that I could remove the entire spider and just have the Bling Ring and nothing else on the crank. It looks clean and simple.

I replaced my 2012 X9 rear derailleur with a 2014 Type 2 clutch rear derailleur. I chose X9 instead of X0 because the 15 gram weight savings wasn't worth double the cost. So far, I have not had a single dropped chain nor heard any chain slap - both good things. I'm not planning to add a chain guide, because I don't think it is needed.

I also upgraded my X7 front shifter to a 2014 X9 ball bearing shifter. I didn't NEED to do this, but I love the zero-loss shifting and feel of the ball bearing shifters. In this case, the X9 is the exact weight as the X0 and half the cost. I don't need to impress anyone with the X0 - I'll keep the extra $100.

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion-img_5818.jpg

In total, I lost 559 grams which is a surprising 1.23 pounds. This weight was lost from removing the front left shifter, front derailleur, and spider and rings. I am surprised by how noticeable the lower weight is while riding - it makes a difference.

The bike now weighs 26.76 lbs with stock everything except this upgrade and XT pedals. It is a size medium 2012 Spearfish 2 that started at 28.02 lbs. This is a very respectable weight for a full suspension bike without any carbon parts. Of course, I want those carbon parts but that will take time.

Overall, this upgrade to 1x10 cost me about $350. It seems as though the saying of "To lose one pound = $1,000" is fairly true, but this upgrade was a huge savings of weight for a low cost.

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion-img_5819.jpg

I also like the simplicity of the handle bars now - no left shifter is nice and clean.

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion-img_5865.jpg

Here is a shot of the full bike in some recent snow. The guy at my LBS even gave me a matching orange Salsa water bottle to keep the theme.

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion-img_5881.jpg

Here is a bonus shot of my recent half-fat trial run. A friend at my LBS has a Salsa Mukluk 2 and wanted to see how switching out the fork for a fat bike fork and tire would work.

So far, it has been a blast and has given a ton of extra grip in corners and float above the snow. Had to raise the handle bar about 1 inch because of slightly different geometry, but no other modifications needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey "SNAP!" Paperwings - I have a new 2012 bright orange 1 x 10 too!

Main Spec: (worked very successfully on my El-Mar Ti for a few months and now I wan't to try a little suspension to see how I get on)

Fox F29 100mm, Stans Arch & ZTR Hubs, XT Crank & shifter, Works Components 32T narrow/wide chainring & SLX clutch mech with 11-36t rear. Hope X2 Evo brakes. Praxis bb, Hope Pick n Mix headset.

Iíve got a couple of questions you experienced Spearfish riders.
    1.Have you ridden with both the Monarch (like my frame) and the Fox shock and what were your feelings about the ride with the two shocks?
    2.What pressures do you put in your shocks for your weights (a personal question I know LOL)

Spearfish 1x10 Conversion-spf104.jpgSpearfish 1x10 Conversion-spf09.jpgSpearfish 1x10 Conversion-spf11.jpgSpearfish 1x10 Conversion-spf12.jpg
    3.Has anyone ridden with more than 100mm fork travel?
    4.Iíve seen the Fox CTD shock cheap on ebay from Taiwan Ė as anybody bought one of these and are these the real deal?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Spearfish 1x10 and Shock Settings

Here are my answers to your questions:

1.Have you ridden with both the Monarch (like my frame) and the Fox shock and what were your feelings about the ride with the two shocks?

One of my friends has the 2013 Spearfish 2 with a Fox Float CTD, but I have only ridden it for about 20 minutes and didn't adjust the shock to my settings. So, unfortunately, I can't really say.

The biggest difference is the CTD switch so you can easily switch to Climb, Trail, or Descend. Personally, I don't lie messing around with shocks when I am riding, though.

2.What pressures do you put in your shocks for your weights (a personal question I know LOL)

I weigh 155-160 lbs and I set my rear shock around 140psi (I like a stiffer rear shock) even though the recommended settings are for 120psi. I set my front shock to about 120psi.

3.Has anyone ridden with more than 100mm fork travel?

No, but I would love to know myself. Have been wondering about a 120mm Fox but wasn't sure about change in geometry.

4.Iíve seen the Fox CTD shock cheap on ebay from Taiwan Ė as anybody bought one of these and are these the real deal?

Can't help you there, but let me know if you try it.

My question for you: How do you like that Fox fork? How does it compare with the stock Reba RLT?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not really able to answer that as I have NOT tried any other 29er forks. However I can tell you that I much prefer the feel of the 120mm Revelation Maxle on the front of my DW Flux. It's not a fair comparison, but the Flux is supposed to be designed for a 100mm fork too, so this has made me curious to try 110 or 120mm travel with the Spearfish and El-Mariachi some time.

Also my experience of the 1 x 10 setup on the El-Mar had been that I need to spend little more time spent out of the saddle. My first impressions of the 1 x 10 Spearfish is that maybe a Fox shox with a blue lockout lever with climbing setting might be an advantage. Wondered what you others thought of that?
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 12-19-2013 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Too bad the El Mariachi 2 has the S1000 cranks. Momentarily thought about converting to the 1 X 10 setup, but not going to buy a whole 'nother crankset to do it..

Edit.. Lol, and I just realized who the OP of this thread is. One of the guys from the LBS where I bought my El Mar.
    Last edited by HillbillyTom; 12-26-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a 2012 Spearfish 1 set-up 9spd xo and first off I have tahnks for this post to the OP! I have used the Fox rp2 (sold it) I now have a Monarch X-lock I had it up for sell but it did not sell, maybe because I tell it like this, The Monarch I have locks out and sucks when climbing up hill on rocks & roots (for me anyways I'm old) it's like a HT bike.

The Fox RP2 was a very good shock but I did not like not having the remote.

Right now I'm either going to sell my SF1 or change it to 1X10 with that 11x42 cassette (I do the 24 hour solo thing) and put a 2014 remote Fox CTD rear shock on this bike. Fox now has a better remote this year it works both front & rear shocks. I just need to buy it to find out if I can make it work with my Tower Pro fork. To do all this changing on my bike it's almost easer to just sell the bike I have now and get a 2014 SF2.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyTom View Post

Edit.. Lol, and I just realized who the OP of this thread is. One of the guys from the LBS where I bought my El Mar.
    Yep! Purchased my Spearfish from Sunshine Bike in Springfield, MO.

mtbr member
    MRP does not recommend using the bling ring on BB30 sram cranks. Have you noticed any problems with the less than ideal chainline?

Do you think there would be clearance at the chain stay with a 32t bling ring?

mtbr member
    Are you guys using a gxp or bb30 crankset?
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have had no problems with the chain line - it looks pretty much perfect to me.

I think there should be room for a 32t Bling Ring as I have a good deal of clearance on my 30t. Also, @lawfarm used a 34t and it fit: MRP Bling Ring and 1◊10 Update | riding against the grain

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am using the stock SRAM PressFit 30 bottom bracket and SRAM S1400 PF30 crank set without any problems. It is a GXP set: SRAM S1400 2X10 | SRAM

Make sure to check MRP's compatibility info on their site: Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MRP Bling Ring Chainrings

mtbr member
    I agree. This is a great upgrade. I documented mine on the Horsethief in my signature. One of my favorite upgrades.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Anyone know the eye-to-eye on the rear shock?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Anyone know the eye-to-eye on the rear shock?
    You probably found the answer but thought Id resurrect this thread, it's 6.5" I just replaced my rear shock with a monarch xx, couldn't be happier. I also run my spearfish 1x10 with a 34t front ring....thinking I want a 30t.
    Specialized Enduro Comp 650b
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT