mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Spearfish 1 Tire Rub

Any of your Spearfishermen (and women) have this issue? I have been recently running Hans Damps 2.35 on my Spear 1 and I was doing some drivetrain work on it the other day and noticed this rub mark on the drive side chainstay. It looks like the tires was full on rubbing the stay although there was plenty of clearance. It not just paint either but material. I have been running Crossmax ST wheels which are pretty stiff and bomb proof. I am a bigger dude (5'11" 180lbs) and tend to ride kind of aggressively in the NW NJ rocky terrain, but not a lot of hucking and no dirt jumping. I pushed on the tire with my foot and was flexing the rear triangle pretty good in spite of the Maxle. So what gives, is the spear really a flexy flier, and is my stay in danger of being ground through?

Spearfish 1 Tire Rub-spear-1.jpgSpearfish 1 Tire Rub-spear-2.jpgSpearfish 1 Tire Rub-spear-3.jpg

rth009
    May 2010
    Thats not that much clearance, certainly not "plenty." I dont have a spearfish, but I think a 2.35 HD is a pretty big tire for that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Thats not that much clearance, certainly not "plenty." I dont have a spearfish, but I think a 2.35 HD is a pretty big tire for that bike.
    I understand a 2.35 in front, but why would you run a 2.35" tire in back? Even with my Horsethief, my front is a 2.4" Ardent and my rear is a 2.25" Ardent. (My rear tire on my XC bike is a 2.1" Aspen.)

I don't have a good answer for how much clearance is enough or why you're getting the rubbing that you are, but if even you were rub free, I'm curious why you'd want such a big rear tire. Can you give us more information?

To help solve your issue it'd be helpful to know the following:
    1. Is the wheel true?
    2. Is the tire bead properly seated?
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    It's usually not the tire doing the damage but the dirt and mud getting pulled through by it. If your riding in mud that is not enough clearance. I would also check your wheels dish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I would also check your wheels dish.
    This good advice, shreddr. In addition to making sure your tire bead is properly seated and that your rim is true, you also need to ensure that the rim/tire is properly centered. If all three of those were true, you should see equal rubbing on both sides, which it did not sound like you do.

Edit: It's worth noting that the Salsa Spearfish page does say that the frame will accommodate up-to-2.35 tires, but that tire clearance is designed for 29 x 2.25" tires. With tire seated properly and rim trued and dished properly, you still might find that some "2.35"" tires are just a tad bigger than what the bike is designed for.

I'd throw a 2.25" tire on the back, keep the front at 2.35" and see if there's any negative impact at all. I'd expect it to give you better speed with no noticeable loss in traction and grip.
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC