mtbr member
    May 2008

Single Speed Spearfish?

I know a few people have asked about doing single speed on a Spearfish, the thought intrigued me. A little history, I normally ride a Canfield N9 SS with a Fox 100mm fork, I love that bike. It's been my only bike for almost a year now. I ride 2-3 times a week 10-20 miles per ride depending on work/family/etc.

I race a couple of times a year, a 24 hr race and a few others here in AZ. We recently did a 35 plus mile ride with about 2500 ft of elevation and I gotta say it kicked my arse! I haven't been on a full squish bike for a while, I'm not getting any younger so I started to look at a few FS options.

I landed a great deal on a 2012 Green Machine and was going to take my time building it up. Well to make a long story short, I was cleaning my N9 the other day and discovered 2 cracks on the headtube, NOOOOOOOO! I recently signed up for a 4 man SS team at 24 hours at the old pueblo in a couple of weeks, Canfield is out of medium frames until April or so. I have an old Vassago Jabber I could transfer all the components to but I just got this cool Spearfish frame, what the heck! It set up really nice and easy, I used a Surley chain tensioner; it looks like it may work. It's been raining cats & dogs so I haven't been on a ride yet (hopefully tomorrow), but just riding up and down the street it feels pretty good! I will post up a ride report and some better pics as soon as I can. I will say, however this turns out I will still probaby go back to gears and leave the SS for the N9.

Sorry for the long winded post, I know there are other folks out there interested in this subject

Single Speed Spearfish?-sssf-02.jpg
    Single Speed Spearfish?-sssf-03.jpg
    Single Speed Spearfish?-sssf-01.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just did a 22 mile, 1200 + elevation ride today, I would describe this trail (BCT in AZ, for those that know it) as a rocky cross country with some mixed climbing. This bike was designed for this kind of trail! The SS worked flawlessly. Everything about the SF is well, efficient! Good at sustained climbs and smoothing out the rockier sections. I would recommend to anyone contemplating running the SF as a SS. Just make sure you use a good tensioner like the Surly or the Rolhoff.

!snotrocket!
    nice job! that thing look's clean as a ss. must be pretty light. I just got a sf frame to replace my damaged n9 frame...weird. I going to set mine up as a 2x10 because I'm lazy
    coastin' along

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, after the 24hr race I will probably go to 1 x 9...also depends on what happens to the warranty on the N9.

They turned me loose
    Looks nice a clean. How tight does the chain stretch at full travel? What ratio are you using?