Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Re: Show me your Spearfish

Quote Originally Posted by helmach21 View Post
    I can't give you the exact cost because some of the parts I already had, but I can definitely give you a close estimate based on the more expensive components. I did a TON of price shopping on this build:

Frame - $750 - Tree Fort Bikes (this was right after Salsa started shipping the redesigned 2014 Spearfish and everyone was clearing out the old design)
    SID Fork - $480 - Price Point (on sale)
    Wheelset - $576 - Prowheelbuilder.com (10% off Christmas sale)
    Cassette, Derailleur, Shifter, Chain - $278 - Chain Reaction
    XT Crank - $150 - Ebay
    Wolf CG Cog - $90 - Wolf
    RaceFace Narrow Wide - $60 - JensonUSA
    Tires - $80 - Amazon
    Egg Beater 1 pedals - $40 ebay
    Thomson Stem and Seatpost - $130 new off Ebay

Factor in a few hundred bucks for the other odds and ends I already had and it comes to under $2800. I know "budget" is a relative term but I feel the bike is better and lighter than the factory Spearfish 1 build for the same or less cost.
    Bravo. Very nice! Weight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onpaperwings View Post
    The frame for $750?! I wish I got in on that.
    I know, right!? It was such a good deal I wanted to buy two or three because I love the old Spearfish design but worry about the longevity of the rear triangle. I wanted to buy enough frames to last me at least a couple decades, LOL. Unfortunately I could only afford one. Hopefully it will last a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So, in short, YES - the thru-axle DOES make a big difference and my next bike will certainly have a thru-axle rear.[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree with you. I had a Big Mama and a Mamasits I keep the Mamasita but I got rid of the BM before I got the Spearfish1 I'm using a Manitou Tower Pro fork TS 15mm axle and that with the 12x142 rear axle helps the bike track much better over the ruff stuff. I am so sold on the bigger axles for any bike, I'm going to go 12x177 on my 2014 Salsa Mukluk2 ASAP and then I'll put a carbon Beargrease fork with the 15mm thru axle on the front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hope this is OK with forum rules...

Anyone interested in selling a Spearfish 1 2012 or 2013 Large?
    Pls PM me if yes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My fish

Show me your Spearfish-13326857763_74bc83ac55_c.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-13327112704_f3e4105fdd_c.jpg

mtbr member

New 1x10 drivetrain

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I upgraded the rear shock to a Fox CTD. Pairs nicely with the rear thru axle. The TALAS is back from a fresh Dirt Labs rebuild. The bike feels like a friggin gazelle.

Snapped this after a decent into town so the seat is low.

mtbr member
    don't think ive posted a pic in this thread. I ve had this since new for a couple years I think. Its been set up like this for about a year. I really love this bike. Sent the stock fork and shock to PUSH best thing I ever did. Only complaint is I have to chase creaks and tick noises to much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-20140128_074536.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    don't think ive posted a pic in this thread. I ve had this since new for a couple years I think. Its been set up like this for about a year. I really love this bike. Sent the stock fork and shock to PUSH best thing I ever did. Only complaint is I have to chase creaks and tick noises to much.
    Singlespeed Spearfish?! On ENVE?! Such a unique build. Nice work.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Ive been on Rigid SS for 14+years and I love riding my rigid Jones. But anything over 3 hours it starts to get rough. On this bike I hardly feel anypower loss while climbing and the comfort level is amazing. So much less fatigue on the longer rougher rides. Lately My rides have been 5-7 hour training rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here's some pics of me '14 Spearfish 2. Great bike!

-mike

mtbr member
    don't think ive posted a pic in this thread. I ve had this since new for a couple years I think. Its been set up like this for about a year.
    Hey Dan,
    that is exactly what i'm scheming to do when i get to a Spearfish frame! i mean the ss, not so much the enve! that is, if i prove to myself that i can handle ss on the local trails. the climbs aren't so long on the trails where i used to ride my ss down south.

anyway, you are the perfect guy to answer my main question... how is it for standing climbs? wondering whether it will bounce as much as most full suspension bikes.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Bicycle Addict
    Finally, a 2014 Spearfish in the wild! Love the color.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've seen all but the XX1 Spearfish in person and the 2 definitely appeals to my eye the most. It's an awesome ride for sure. I had demo'd a '12 Spearfish also and this one definitely fits my riding style better. What a blast to ride. I feel like a new door of possibilities has opened up when riding this thing. Though coming from an '02 Trek Fuel that's probably not that much of a surprise.

- mike

AOK
    mtbr member

Show me your Spearfish

Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Finally, a 2014 Spearfish in the wild! Love the color.
    +1.

The '14 owners are a bunch of slackers. Been waiting for some pictures to show up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by helmach21 View Post
    I know, right!? It was such a good deal I wanted to buy two or three because I love the old Spearfish design but worry about the longevity of the rear triangle. I wanted to buy enough frames to last me at least a couple decades, LOL. Unfortunately I could only afford one. Hopefully it will last a while.
    You can still get in on it. Universal Cycles has 2013 Spearfish frames in all sizes for $659. Universal Cycles -- Salsa Spearfish 1 Frame 2013 - Black/Blue Anodized
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member

Show me your Spearfish

Thank you thecreeper23 for the link to the closeouts on Universal Cyclist. I picked up a Spearfish 1. Moving over the stuff from my 2011 El March Ti when it arrives. Yea the 14 Spearfish is a better design, but $1,100 more was too much for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My 2013 SF 2 after a muddy day at Bent Creek.

Show me your Spearfish-1781878_10202665140285968_1360527298_n.jpg
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    Thank you thecreeper23 for the link to the closeouts on Universal Cyclist. I picked up a Spearfish 1. Moving over the stuff from my 2011 El March Ti when it arrives. Yea the 14 Spearfish is a better design, but $1,100 more was too much for me.
    You're welcome! I just picked up a 2013 Horsethief 2 from Universal Cycles myself. First new bike in a decade and first FS bike ever!
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Right on! congrats! I was thinking of selling my 2012 SF1; but Universal Cyclistis is selling 2013's so cheep I can't get enough for mine, it's set-up 9 spd but I think what I'm going to do is buy a xx1 group set, I was going to make my fish a 10 spd & put all the XO 9 spd stuff on my Mamasita frame that's hanging & getting dusty so that can be my gravel road bike. I also have the Rock shox x-loc rear shock on my fish and I don't like using that shock too much it's good locked out on long fire roads but it's not (for me anyways) so good on the rocky/rooty climbs so I'm going with a rear fox CTD shock. This set-up will allow me to ride and be very happy with what I have till the 2014 SF frames go on sell and Salsa is showing a history of blowing their last years bikes out cheep. And who knows maybe the next big thing for the Salsa Spearfish is going to be 29+

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Show me your Spearfish

Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    I was thinking of selling my 2012 SF1; but Universal Cyclistis is selling 2013's so cheep I can't get enough for mine, it's set-up 9 spd but I think what I'm going to do is buy a xx1 group set
    I'd recommend a cassette conversion before or even instead of XX1.
    M

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have thought about that but I have heard that they don't shift as clean and I'm using this bike for 24 hour solo and 12 hour solo racing and add that it almost always rains at the Wausau 24 = lots of mud. I already got a 10 speed crank set - the rings I don't know if it would work with 11 speed or if I'm going to have to get a proprietary 11 speed crank set I still need to look into that.

mtbr member

Very cool! Actually building up a 2013 SP-1 frame as a SS this week myself! My story sounds exactly like yours! I've been on rigid bikes 90+% of the time since 2009. I'll turn 40 this year and have shifted to primarily doing endurance races. Still love riding rigid but it's getting hard to ignore the beating/fatigue that it's handing out after 3+ hours.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Cool . Let me know what you think after you get some ride time.
    Dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Shredding Spearfish in Fruita CO last weekend

mtbr member

Just got this built up today! Spearfish 1x1. Haven't gotten any real saddle time on it but geometry wise I think I pretty much hit what I was aiming for! I'm a HUGE fan of Misfits DiSSent single speed. It has a 72į HT, lowish BB, and longish stays. For that reason I went with an 80mm fork and my initial impression is that it feels nearly identical to my Misfit. Hopefully I'll get a couple of hours of saddle time on it tomorrow.

Bicycle Addict
    So cool to see this
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Heres my 2012 Spearfish 1

It's a little muddy after a rain storm towards the end of the race.

Currently setup as a 1x10 with Oneup 40 tooth sprocket adapter.
    Roval Carbon Wheels.
    Fox Factory Kashima Rear Shock

Total weight is around 24.6 pounds. It's a fast bike for how little I spent on it. I won several races on it last year. I can't believe how cheap the 2013 ones are at Universal. I've been very tempted by the 2014s but they are to expensive right now. No issues with the 2012 except that I've had to replace the PF30 BB because the press fit cup fell out and I had to replace the shock mount bearings and bushing. The bike saw a lot of abuse last year though.

mtbr member

Show me your Spearfish

Here is my 2013 spearfish 1 at the beginning of the build process. Show me your Spearfish-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396953671.058032.jpg

rmb
    mtbr member
    2012 Salsa spearfish 1; XX1 cranks, shifter derailleur, X01cassette, salsa stem, bar and seatpost, stans crest wheels, fox fork, ti eggbeater pedals, selle slr carbonio saddle, formula r1 brakes with ashima 160, 140 and rocket Ron, thunder burt race guard tires. 22.9 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice! Very impressive weight as well.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onpaperwings View Post
    Nice! Very impressive weight as well.
    Thanks, I was pretty surprised that it came in that light and a large frame too.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rmb View Post
    2012 Salsa spearfish 1; XX1 cranks, shifter derailleur, X01cassette, salsa stem, bar and seatpost, stans crest wheels, fox fork, ti eggbeater pedals, selle slr carbonio saddle, formula r1 brakes with ashima 160, 140 and rocket Ron, thunder burt race guard tires. 22.9 lbs.
    Nice build! That's .25 pounds lighter than my SS Fish!

How did you remove the decals?

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    Nice build! That's .25 pounds lighter than my SS Fish!

How did you remove the decals?

Thanks, I bought the frame from a friend who removed the decals. I will ask him.

mtbr member
    Ok sounds great! Thanks!

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    Ok sounds great! Thanks!

I didn't realize the graphics were painted on...Acetone, lots of rags and elbow grease. Acetone removes the paint but does not effect the anodizing

mtbr member
    Ok, awesome! I was thinking it was powder coated. I know what my project is gonna be this weekend! Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't use acetone on the powder coat. In 2012 I think the 1 was anno and the 2 and 3 (orange and green) were powder coated.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Mine is the 2013 "1". Likely anodized as well but I will double check beforehand. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Got this finished today. My first complete MTB build and really the first 29er and first full suspension I've owned. Took it for a ride this afternoon and it's GREAT. I might mess with the stem a bit but otherwise everything's good right out of the box. Very happy with component choice. Feels light, fast and comfy.

"Soft" goal was 25lbs for under $2500. Made it, 24.94 without pedals. Build sheet is below if anyone cares. Made the sheet to figure out how much I spent so I really tried to include everything. Prices include any shipping and all parts are brand spanking new except saddle and stem.

It is pretty cool to have a new bike of this level, that I actually built. Very satisfying.

Show me your Spearfish-1-p1030601.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-spearfish-build.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Show me your Spearfish-spf104.jpgShow me your Spearfish-spf12.jpg

You guys manage to build such light bikes! Hereís mine in itís 1 x 10 muddy winter setup. Itís now back in itís Triple setup for longer trips and hills. Iíve tried to build it light by putting some nice bits on it, but itís still still weighs 27.5lbs! Without being too ambitious, surely I could knock a pound off without spending a fortune?

Hereís my current build:
    2012 Frame
    Fox F29 100mm Fit Fork
    Stans ZTR rear & Hope Pro2 front Hubs/Arch Rims/DT Super Comp Ė all running tubeless
    Tyres: Nobby Nic 2.25 front / Spesh Storm 2.0 rear. (not especially heavy)
    Salsa Pro Moto carbon Bar & Orange Stalk stem (not heavy)
    Easton EC70 post / SDG Bel Air Ti
    Hope X2 Evo brakes 180/160.
    XT M780 shifters
    Praxis BB and XT Triple cranks with XT pedals.
    SLX rear shadow + mech and XT front mech.
    My cassette is cheap & heavy but thatís the ONLY really cheap heavy component on the bike.

Possible Moves:
    Obviously a lighter cassette but thatíll only save 100g max.
    Iím guessing Crest rims and Alu nipples instead of brass might save some proper weight.
    What about getting Rockshox Reba forks Ė are they lighter than my Foxes?
    Brakes Ė are the X2 Evoís really heavy?
    What are your thoughts and suggestions Ė how can I loose that pound?
    Tim
    PS. Donít say Diet LOL!

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Show me your Spearfish

Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spf104.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	887252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spf12.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	887253

You guys manage to build such light bikes! Hereís mine in itís 1 x 10 muddy winter setup. Itís now back in itís Triple setup for longer trips and hills. Iíve tried to build it light by putting some nice bits on it, but itís still still weighs 27.5lbs!
    Weigh it without pedals.
    When your cassette wears out get a nicer one.
    I think your post and saddle are heavy, but not sure. Goal for those parts is 200g each.
    I wouldn't replace that Fox with a Rockshox purely for weight reduction.
    For $600-900 you can build some awesome stiff Chinese carbon wheels at 1400 - 1500g. Pay very close attention to hub weight - Hopes and even DTSwiss are not light.
    The black Ano frames are lighter.
    You probably should make a spreadsheet.

Here are some approx. weight targets:
    Frame, 1300g (HT), 2500g (FS)
    Wheels, 1500g
    Fork, 1900g
    Brakes, 1000g complete
    Drivetrain, 1600g (1x) - 2200g (2-3x), complete
    Bar, seatpost, saddle, 200g each
    Stem, 130g
    Tires, 500-750g each, really depends on terrain, traction trumps all!
    M

mtbr member
    another vote for carbon rims. i have crest 650b rims on my full sus bike (not a spearfish), they are pretty flimsy. the wheels are crazy light, even with hope evo2, but kinda sketchy on descents. i'm 155#, i don't fear failure, i just don't like the way they flex under me. i'm planning to get carbon rims to rebuild....
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Chillin' in the sun

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not gonna weigh the bike without pedals cos I never ride it without pedals. However, I know the xt780 pedals are about 3/4lbs (355g), so the bike would weight a fraction under 27lbs without them.

Bel-Air Ti Saddle and EC70 Post are 268g and 218g respectively. They are a very comforbable combination so I've no worries there.

I still recon possible weight savings are in the wheels and fork - and possibly brakes. Interesting on the carbon rims - which do you reccommend at a reasonable price?

I couldn't find a weight for my Arch 29er rims but I think they may be around the 460g mark. A Crest 29er would be about 380g. What about the carbons?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Show me your Spearfish

Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    I couldn't find a weight for my Arch 29er rims but I think they may be around the 460g mark. A Crest 29er would be about 380g. What about the carbons?
    Carbon rim weights range from 350g @ ~22mm inside width to 450g @ ~30mm inside width. All will be stiffer than Arches and would be more similar to Flows. If you will run 2.35" and wider, go with ~30mm inner width. Otherwise for normal 2.1" tires, ~22-23mm inner width is ideal. You can also save weight with almost no drawbacks going with DT Revolution spokes.
    M

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A few Spearfish Observations.
    I came to the SF via a 26Ē Flux and a 2011 El-Mar Ti. I had loved the Turner but the Ti 29er was a whole new experience that was (in many respects) even better. The only fly in the ointment was the small percentage of occasions when trails got rough. I found if I hit a rough section at real speed, Iíd feel I was loosing control, get scared, and haved to back off severely. On those occasions I was wishing for my Turner. I knew I loved the 29-inch El-Mar but I also knew that my lack of skill meant that it had its limitations.
    There are surprisingly few lightweight, short-travel 29er models around, but already being familiar with the Salsa brand, I had an idea the Spearfish might be just what I was looking for. I couldnít find a test ride, as Salsa is not a big brand over here in the UK. Dealers tend to be a long way away, not to have demo models Ė and when they do, they tend not to be in your size! If you overcome the first 3 hurdles then, chances are - the dealer is not going to want you to take a bike way for a proper off-road test.
    Anyway, being a cheapskate, I bit the bullet and got an Ebay frame. 6months later, I'm still impressed. It does seem to be the do-it-all bike I wanted. Like the El-Mar, it feels great to just jump on and ride. Okay, itís not a 3.8lb titanium hardtail frame, but it still feels lively and enjoyable rather than dull and boring. The bonus is that in addition to the nice geomentry and ride, it smooths out all those rough bits that were formerly making me wish for the Flux. Nice one Salsa!

Surprise, Surprise!
    A few months back I was thinking that my recently built Spearfish was rather exclusive and niche. That was until I showed up for the Dorset Rough Riders 2013 Boxing-Day ride, where I got a very amusing surprise. The ride leader (a very nice chap called Ian) was also on an a bright orange Spearfish. We felt like a couple of Hollywood actresses whoíd turned up for the Oscars wearing the same designer outfit!

mtbr member

One Fish Two Fish White Fish Blue Fish

Show me your Spearfish-20140505_072306.jpg

Rode a 3 day tour in VA this past weekend. Two out of the 6 clients were on Spearfishes. My white SF 2 and a nice SF 1 that the guy got on closeout.

mtbr member
    Cool. Where were you? I ride a white SF 2 in VA. Just curious. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I did a tour with Shenandoah Mountain Touring. 1st day was part of the SM100 course followed by the IMBA Southern Traverse. Day 2 was at Douthat State Park. Day 3 was Elliot Knob. I spent about as much time pushing the fish as riding it that 3rd day.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mike, this is Ray with the black Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Hey there Ray - are you recovered yet? I am still tired from that tour.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Hey there Ray - are you recovered yet? I am still tired from that tour.
    I am still sore but ok. I went for a ride last night and it hurt.

BTW, I took about the same photo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My Spearfish
    Frame Salsa spearfish XL(22")
    ammo Fox CTD
    headset Cane Creek 40
    fork FOX 32 Float 29 RL FIT QR15, 100(120) mm
    stem Hope XC/FR MTB Stem 110mm
    handlebar Easton Haven Carbon Low Riser 711mm
    grips Ritchey WCS Ergo Locking True Grip
    seatpost BBB longscraper bsp-23 31,6x450
    saddle Specialized Phenom expert 143
    wheelset Hope Hoops ZTR Crest
    tires Schwalbe Thunder Burt 29x2,1
    brakes Hope Tech X2 160\140 Hope saw
    shifters Sram X-0 triggers
    rear derailleur Sram X-0 middle
    front derailleur Shimano SLX 2x9
    crank s Shimano XT M-785\180
    chainrings Shimano SG-X 22T\KCNC XC1 34T
    pedals Shimano XTR PD-M980

Last edited by TreNeR; 05-09-2014 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I am still sore but ok. I went for a ride last night and it hurt.
    I haven't even taken my bike out of the truck yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I just got back from a nice day at Douthat on my SF2. The photo's from the Tuscarora Overlook off of Stony Run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-tuscarora-overlook.jpg  

mtbr member
    I used to have a carbon Santa Cruz Tallboy, but after realizing I didn't ride it all that much (and also needing some money to remodel a master bathroom) I sold it to "downsize" to something cheaper for XC-riding. I ride my Bronson 75% of the time, but after finding the Spearfish 3 on sale at Universal Cycles, it was tough to pass up. I just got it last week and swapped out some parts I had from other builds. Specifically:

- Easton EA70 XCT wheelset
    - Geax Saguaro 2.2" rear, Kenda Honey Badger 2.2" front
    - Ritchey carbon handlebar, 740mm
    - RF Turbine 60mm stem
    - ODI Lock-on Grips
    - Setup 1x10 with RF Narrow-Wide 30t ring

From a quick comparison, it's as light (or lighter?) than my old Tallboy, so I'm guessing its around 26 lbs. After a couple rides, I have to say I'm very impressed... I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. Plus, it looks pretty sweet too.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I haven't even taken my bike out of the truck yet.
    I did a short but very hilly ride today. My legs and arms are still weak and sore.

What Mike and I rode was the Stokesville-Douthat-Stokesville 3 day tour run by the same guy that runs the SM100. Tough but worth the ride
    http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h...%203%20Day.htm

mtbr member

The only photo I took out on trail including my Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I miss mine... it's been in the shop for 2 weeks - rockshox rt3 maintenance. Eventually, I need to learn how to do it myself! Any ideas how hard it is? I have the basic bike toolkit from Nashbar. I need to add more tools on my gift wishlist. lol

The night before we tamed "The Hulk" at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Show me your Spearfish-spearfish.jpg

mtbr member
    Is "The Hulk" a strip club in Myrtle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Is "The Hulk" a strip club in Myrtle?

that'll be a disgusting strip club. lol

Show me your Spearfish-10249396_1460600484173696_748256401_n.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jlight317 View Post
    I miss mine... it's been in the shop for 2 weeks - rockshox rt3 maintenance. Eventually, I need to learn how to do it myself! Any ideas how hard it is? I have the basic bike toolkit from Nashbar. I need to add more tools on my gift wishlist. lol

The night before we tamed "The Hulk" at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spearfish.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	892807
    You could really benefit from a dropper post... Hehe

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    just finished tonight, 2013 "3" with most of the parts swapped, feels awesome on the up the street official test ride

just over 26lb, probably go with some lighter tyres and a flatter bar

DSCF1494 by simon gardiner, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dropper Fish

Show me your Spearfish-20140521_121432.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi All,
    I am interested in swapping out my 39/26 crankset on my 2013 SF2 for either a 24/38 or a 22/36. I can grunt my way up lots of stuff but on long days I'd rather save some energy. Shimano SLX M665 22/36 or SRAM/TRUVATIV X9 BB30 2.2 22/36 look good. Thoughts on either?

Also, the Shimano one has a Hollowtech BB; the SRAM/Truvativ is BB30. My cranks say BB30 but the spec sheet on the Salsa website says PF30. Further, the Salsa website also says that SRAM X7 BB30 cranks WON'T work, but then my crank is the SRAM 1000 BB30 which I had thought was the OEM version of the X7. Finally, the Salsa website also says that the SF2 comes with a 24/38. So, I'm confused. Finally, finally: it is not possible to simply add a new 104 BCD spider or swap out rings--the current 120/80 BCD will not accept smaller rings and the bolt circle is part of the drive side arm so using something like the Truvativ 22/36 or 24/38 conversion kit won't work.

I have considered trying a Wolf Tooth 42 cog to simply get a bailout gear, but I'd rather go 22/36 or 24/38 to improve the entire range.

I'd really like to make the change but need a little help clearing up just what I need.
    Many thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csmo View Post
    Hi All,
    I am interested in swapping out my 39/26 crankset on my 2013 SF2 for either a 24/38 or a 22/36. I can grunt my way up lots of stuff but on long days I'd rather save some energy. Shimano SLX M665 22/36 or SRAM/TRUVATIV X9 BB30 2.2 22/36 look good. Thoughts on either?

Also, the Shimano one has a Hollowtech BB; the SRAM/Truvativ is BB30. My cranks say BB30 but the spec sheet on the Salsa website says PF30. Further, the Salsa website also says that SRAM X7 BB30 cranks WON'T work, but then my crank is the SRAM 1000 BB30 which I had thought was the OEM version of the X7. Finally, the Salsa website also says that the SF2 comes with a 24/38. So, I'm confused. Finally, finally: it is not possible to simply add a new 104 BCD spider or swap out rings--the current 120/80 BCD will not accept smaller rings and the bolt circle is part of the drive side arm so using something like the Truvativ 22/36 or 24/38 conversion kit won't work.

I have considered trying a Wolf Tooth 42 cog to simply get a bailout gear, but I'd rather go 22/36 or 24/38 to improve the entire range.

I'd really like to make the change but need a little help clearing up just what I need.
    Many thanks
    I would go with the X9 so you can use your existing BB, other wise you will have to go with an adapter if you go with SLX.
    BB30 is the style of your crank and PF30 is the style of your BB.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Right now Competitive Cyclist has the 22/26 X9 BB30 on sale for $199. Seems like a good way to go.

mtbr member
    The X9 also has the option of swapping out spiders or going with a direct mount single ring.

mtbr member
    Yes, indeed--thanks. It seems like a versatile crank. I think it's what I will do.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Show me your Spearfish-img_1948.jpgWell, not mine exactly, but mine for a little while.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    How would one go about replacing my triple on my 2013 Spearfish 3 to either a double or a single? I think I would prefer a single up front.

I know how to google, I'm just curious what other Spearfish owners have done, thanks!

mtbr member
    If anyone cares I replaced the 26/39 with the X9 22/36. Did a 43 mile ride with 6600 feet of climbing today and the new gearing was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by csmo View Post
    Yes, indeed--thanks. It seems like a versatile crank. I think it's what I will do.

mtbr member
    I just replaced the 26/39 on mine with a 22/36. I love it. What gearing do you have now? It's a pretty simple change. What do you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by bulboushead View Post
    How would one go about replacing my triple on my 2013 Spearfish 3 to either a double or a single? I think I would prefer a single up front.

I know how to google, I'm just curious what other Spearfish owners have done, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I currentl have an FSA triple, 24/32/42. It weighs about 900g and I never use the highest ring anyways. Can I use any BB30 2x10 crankset and just swap the cranks? I'm guessing I would also need a new front derailleur.

Can I swap to a single front crank and just remove the derailluer? I think this is the most attractive option if possible, I've seen a few singles and I think I can handle it.

mtbr member
    Yes, you can swap out the current crank with a double. Here is the one I bought: TruVativ X9 BB30 2.2 Crankset | Competitive Cyclist. It's a BB30, just like yours. There should be no need for a new derailer. You should be able to adjust yours to make it work. Which one is it? It's possible it will not work. Others may know.

The crank I linked to has a removable spider that you can convert to a single ring pretty easily or get a ring that will fit on the 104 BCD spider included. See: Drop-Stop Chainrings. Perhaps try the 22/36 for a bit and then see if one ring is the way to go and then convert?

Quote Originally Posted by bulboushead View Post
    I currentl have an FSA triple, 24/32/42. It weighs about 900g and I never use the highest ring anyways. Can I use any BB30 2x10 crankset and just swap the cranks? I'm guessing I would also need a new front derailleur.

Can I swap to a single front crank and just remove the derailluer? I think this is the most attractive option if possible, I've seen a few singles and I think I can handle it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    hello, considering getting a spearfish and was wondering whether I could get some (un)biased opinions on them? I currently ride a fully rigid genesis, so this would be my first full susser, and although I do ride XC I do also go to bikeparks every now and then? I've heard that the rear triangle can crack on the 1 and 2's, which makes me think the frames are designed for lighter XC and races. I appreciate this is how they are marketed but can they take a bit of a beating too, or should I look for something a bit burlier? Thanks alot

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm currently 200lbs with camelbak and gear and I've been riding my SF2 frame for about 6 months and no probs so far. I paid £450 UK for a used frame on Ebay. In the last 7 days it's been on a 20mile mtb club evening ride, a 30 mile Isle of Wight Sunday club ride (some fast descents), and yesterday it did a 35mile Dorset Rough Riders DDRT4000 Purbeck route (more fast descents). No cracks yet. :-)
    Tim
    PS. just in case you were wondering, I also accompanied the bike on those rides!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobkirmesdaly View Post
    hello, considering getting a spearfish and was wondering whether I could get some (un)biased opinions on them? I currently ride a fully rigid genesis, so this would be my first full susser, and although I do ride XC I do also go to bikeparks every now and then? I've heard that the rear triangle can crack on the 1 and 2's, which makes me think the frames are designed for lighter XC and races. I appreciate this is how they are marketed but can they take a bit of a beating too, or should I look for something a bit burlier? Thanks alot

Previous gen or current? I had seen a few reports of the previous gen cracking unless it had the 12x142 axle.

Current gen is an entirely different frame. I haven't heard of any frame issues yet and they are definitely much more stiff. IMO the new one is way better than the old.

I have a '14 SF2 and was given a loaner '13 SF3 for a month while Fox fixed some fork issues was really shocked when I got back on mine how well it worked in comparison. Rear is stiff, absorbs rocks etc so smoothly while being HT firm when pedaling.

I also really like the front geometry with the more rake and trail and the shorter chainstays. Just as easy to maneuver in the tight stuff but doesn't feel twitchy like std XC can feel.

-mike

mtbr member
    Do you guys feel that 80 mm is enough for the rear suspension or do you really feel it in the big rocks. I'm considering buying a Spearfish, but don't want to be busting my rear too badly going over the big stuff. Also, what would be the best size for someone 6'0? I don't know my inseam - need to measure that sometime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Do you guys feel that 80 mm is enough for the rear suspension or do you really feel it in the big rocks. I'm considering buying a Spearfish, but don't want to be busting my rear too badly going over the big stuff. Also, what would be the best size for someone 6'0? I don't know my inseam - need to measure that sometime.
    Personally I think it is. I'm not jumping it or anything but we do have plenty of rough rock gardens and down logs around here. Comparing a 14SF2 to a 13SF3 the 14 does a significantly better job and IMO feels like more travel in comparison. I have rarely completely bottomed out my rear travel and feel no need for more for where/ how I ride.

I'm 6' (unknown inseam) and I'm on a large. It fits well but I would be curious to see how much bigger the XL feels. The 13SF3 loaner that I had for a month was also a L but it felt like a longer bike. Now that I have my 14 back it feels a little cramped in comparison but I'm sure I'll get used to it again.

-mike

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I am 6'2" and on the XL '14 model. I agree this version feels like it sizes smaller than the '13 model as I am using a longer stemÖ100mm?...to get the same basic feel and it still is a different vibe than the older one. 32" inseam, BTW.

To me it feels like 80mm of travel, no more. I am using all the travel the way I have it set and sometimes nudge the o-ring off the shock shaft, but I cannot say I ever know that is happening on trail.

"Big rocks" would make me wonder if 80mms of travel are enough, but so much of that depends on your riding style and expectations that it is hard to say what is 'enough' for you.

If you can live with relatively minimal travel, the '14 'Fish is a super fun trail bike, something the old one was not IMO.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Well, I used to live in Arizona. Down there, the terrain is really rough. But, now that I live in Utah, I think a Spearfish might be sufficient. The things I like about the bike are the low price and the lightness. The other bike I was looking at was the Epic....but Epics are so much more expensive, maybe it isn't fair to compare it to the Spearfish.

Regarding sizing, its interesting that you guys say the Large feels small. The Salsa says that the large is for someone 6'0 to 6'3.

2014 Horsethief XX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Maybe I should buy one when the 2014's go on sale on Universal Cycles - in the October/November?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Well, I used to live in Arizona. Down there, the terrain is really rough. But, now that I live in Utah, I think a Spearfish might be sufficient. The things I like about the bike are the low price and the lightness. The other bike I was looking at was the Epic....but Epics are so much more expensive, maybe it isn't fair to compare it to the Spearfish.

Regarding sizing, its interesting that you guys say the Large feels small. The Salsa says that the large is for someone 6'0 to 6'3.

2014 Horsethief XX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Maybe I should buy one when the 2014's go on sale on Universal Cycles - in the October/November?
    Yeah, I am not sure how they get to that sizing suggestion. I think that is off a bit. It was Salsa that tipped me towards the XL for the review sample and they know me personally, how tall I am, etc. But fit is such an individual thing.

I find that the 'Fish is enough for So Cal XC/light to med trail riding as it is not typically that rough here either, at least in my neck of the woods. When I had my 80mm travel Lenz, it took a trip to Moab to feel I was out of my weight class and it was the ledges of Canyonlands that took the '13 Spearfish to its limits.

If you are a smooth rider and are on moderate to smooth trails, like the stuff I have ridden around St George and Hurricane, the Spearfish for 2014 is a super fun light trail bike. I love the handling compared to the older one and the DW Split Pivot is very good. The '13 version was very close to an Epic in overall feel although the Mini Brain is a bit unique. The '14 'Fish is not really like the Epic in overall demeanor so much as it feels like a short travel trail bike with reasonable limitations. The slacker HT angle, 51mm offset fork, and shorter CS length is a neat combo. Just my take anyway. In fact, it feels less like the endurance bike it was originally created to be than the last model, but overall it is a more fun bike. It is a brilliant climber and the pivot at the rear axle really does let the rear suspension stay active over braking bumps, etc.

However, I would say that moving to 100mm of rear travel is not really a penalty if the rest of the bike is good for you and that extra travel gives you a bit wider range of performance. It is a firm-ish 80mms on the 'Fish. No magic transcending that fact IMO. You won't think, "Gee, I bet I have 120mms of travel back there!"

Despite all this, I would have no issues having the 'Fish as a quiver bike, but I think I would find it a bit limiting as my only FS. I am getting too used to longer legged bikes these days and some of them give up very little in pedaling performance to shorter travel brethren. They will weigh more though, unless you spend big.

Likely more than you asked for, just some random thoughts I have had as I put the bike through its paces.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    However, I would say that moving to 100mm of rear travel is not really a penalty if the rest of the bike is good for you and that extra travel gives you a bit wider range of performance. It is a firm-ish 80mms on the 'Fish. No magic transcending that fact IMO. You won't think, "Gee, I bet I have 120mms of travel back there!"
    Just to be clear, I was saying that the 14 felt like more suspension than the 13. Not necessarily that it felt like more than 80. Do you feel that way? or is that just me?

-mike

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh372 View Post
    Just to be clear, I was saying that the 14 felt like more suspension than the 13. Not necessarily that it felt like more than 80. Do you feel that way? or is that just me?

-mike
    Well, it does not to me, but it does feel bit firmer overall. However, that is pretty subjective and it has been a while since I was on the '13 version. I do get all the 80mms of travel it has to give during typical riding though.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Well, it does not to me, but it does feel bit firmer overall. However, that is pretty subjective and it has been a while since I was on the '13 version. I do get all the 80mms of travel it has to give during typical riding though.
    What sag do you run?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh372 View Post
    What sag do you run?
    OhÖhard to say for sure. I would guess in the 25% range, maybe more, maybe less. I played with pressures until I was using all the travel when it seemed appropriate yet not so much as to be sloshing about and riding low in the travel.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Any idea when the 2014 Spearfish may go on sale at Universal Cycles? Maybe in October when the new models come out?

mtbr member
    Don't expect large discounts this year. To match those on the 13's this winter you'll have to wait for the next redesign, so maybe 2018.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    You could really benefit from a dropper post... Hehe

Posted via mobile
    I added a TMARS dropper.
    It is also Super Saiyan fast now....

Show me your Spearfish-goku.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not enough pics in this thread recently. Here's mine in action on a little S24O over the weekend.

Show me your Spearfish-1-photo-1.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-3-photo-5.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-5-photo-4.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-2-photo-4.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-6-photo-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2014 Spearfish XX1

Only on the eastcoast would they post such a considerate warning! Sweet trail, sweet bike. "Rocky Knob", Boone, NC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-sfrockynob.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My 2013 Spearfish, just purchased as a leftover...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-photo5.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo6.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo7.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo4.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo-8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grantini View Post
    Awesome! I always loved the color sceme on that bike. The white fork/shock looks really good with the red!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks! I agree... I'm giving serious thought to stripping it and powder coating it this winter, but will likely stick with Red, though I might go for another color... so much to consider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My Spearfish 2012

Show me your Spearfish-15309747235_38aebfcf77_b.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-15306591211_4a0de687ef_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I have posted my Spearfish for sale here on MTBR. Here's the ad:

2013 medium Salsa Spearfish 2 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I'm certainly willing to accept reasonable offers. Thanks for looking

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Show me your Spearfish-15553707061_969335c06b_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grantini View Post

I have the same model Spearfish in 16" and love it!

Curious about your bike mount setup though, what SUV is that?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast