Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Hudnut what kinda seat post do you have on your SF & mainturion if you don't like your red wheels they would look good no my next bike build. to all of you guys nice bikes and keep the pic coming!
    It's a Bontrager XXX lite carbon. It's holding up fine so far. scuffs easily though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hay! FWIW Hammerhead.com had the Crest rim for $79.00 last week. And thanks Hudnut, I was looking in the Scott forum a few weeks ago and a guy had a ww seat post it was like 114 grams and $200.00 bucks for it wow I just went and seen the Bontrager XXX lite it's also $200.00

@GOODOLJAKE: Green wheels are high on my wishlist, found them (bit pricey though) at Project321: PROJECT 321 | Products: Stan's NoTubes Anodized Rims[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by idinomac; 03-02-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Tigers love pepper...
    Just got my 2011 frame built up yesterday. Of course we instantly got like 4 inches of snow making all the local trails unridable. I have only ridden it about 100 yards. But, the plan is to hit Moab Sunday morning for it's maiden voyage!

Wandering not Lost
    My Spear 1 build:

SZ LG, fox f 29 terralogic w/ qr15, full xtr, enve bar/stem/ post to come, wtb devo saddle, easton ec90 wheels with rampages

25.8 lbs

Only complaint I have thus far is the placement of the bottle cage being two low, and the omission of a 2nd cage on the seattube. If you move the DT cage up you could put a side loader on the ST w/o much rigging. I am thinking about doing this and I do realize it would void the warranty, but the bike would become far more functional.

Bicycle Addict
    [QUOTE=BThor;9071045]My Spear 1 build:

SZ LG, fox f 29 terralogic w/ qr15, full xtr, enve bar/stem/ post to come, wtb devo saddle, easton ec90 wheels with rampages

25.8 lbs

Only complaint I have thus far is the placement of the bottle cage being two low, and the omission of a 2nd cage on the seattube. If you move the DT cage up you could put a side loader on the ST w/o much rigging. I am thinking about doing this and I do realize it would void the warranty, but the bike would become far more functional.

I've been waiting to see one of these. Very good looking build I agree with the bottle cage placement. One certainly has to reach further down to get to it. Maybe get a taller bottle
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I love the ride, but HATE the cable routing! Why you would route a hydro line on the downtube is beyond me. I have already replaced both shift housings due to chunks being taken out of them. I feel like the hydro line is a disaster waiting to happen. I feel under the top tube would have been far cleaner and way more logical.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    I like the routing. Keep in mind this is a trail endurance bike not a downhill bomber or rock garden hopper.

Tigers love pepper...
    Pic from the maiden voyage to make up fir the earlier garage pics....

mtbr member
    Jake, I am fully aware of the bikes intent. I have been riding and wrenching for a long time and this is the worst cable routing on any bike that I have owned. Irregardless of the type or style of riding you do, putting a brake line on the downtube to catch a nick is a bad idea. I use my bike for XC and while the ride is awesome, there are a few flaws in my eyes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench View Post
    Jake, I am fully aware of the bikes intent. I have been riding and wrenching for a long time and this is the worst cable routing on any bike that I have owned. Irregardless of the type or style of riding you do, putting a brake line on the downtube to catch a nick is a bad idea. I use my bike for XC and while the ride is awesome, there are a few flaws in my eyes.
    we should start a poll on if anyone has experienced cable/hose damage on the downtube. I have not heard of any.
    there are other popular bikes that use the same routing. do they have problems? Stumpjumper FSR comes to mind.

mtbr member
    I was merely stating an issue I had w/ design, not trying to start an e-war. If a carbon downtube can be punctured by flying rocks, I'm sure a plastic hydro line can also. Just as someone pointed out that the bottle cage was low, I was pointing out that I feel there could have been a better way to route the cables. Just because Specialized does it, does it make it right? I ride on the East coast which is mostly rocky singletrack w/ alot of logs to ride over and I find that the cables on the downtube could be a liability. Otherwise the bike performs flawlessly.

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to argue. Curious as well if there may actually be an issue. I've never owned a bike with cables routed this way. If it is a risk you can route the brake hose on the top tube. I have done this due to a short hose (since been routed properly). so if it is a possibility we should talk about possible solutions.

mtbr member
    Hud
    I did the exact sme thing when I first got my frame and forgot to order a new hose. I ran the line under the TT, thru the shock mt and link, finally down the seat stay. The line was routed using Problem Solvers stick on hydro guides. The only issue I had was that the profile of the stay didn't match the guide, so they didn't stick the way I would have liked. When the line showed up, I replaced it to give the designed route a chance. But I have replaced both shift housings due to chunks being taken out of them. Serioulsy considering going back to the original routing for race season.

Check out this Rockstar:http://twentynineinches.com/wp-conte...sfeb12-012.jpg I feel that this is a way cleaner design that would easily translate to our frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Where did you get your Spearfish 1 frame?

Looking for one myself and last I heard was May?

Wandering not Lost
    Overall I like the bike .. biggest issue for me is the bottle cage placement and lack of them. It sucks and is damn near useless that low. I am sure there was a reason for it perhaps the tube higher up was too think but geebus getting a bottle out of that thing is a major pita. Guess I am back to wearing a pack or such.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aulmen View Post
    Looking for one myself and last I heard was May?
    Most where pre-orders and already sold, I thought I was going to have to wate till May also but I got a call last week form the shop and he said that he knew I wanted one& was wating on a SF1 frame so he nabed it from salsa for me. I still owe a few bucks so I wont get it till April but now it moves the build-up 30days sooner

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ive switched to routing all 3 cables on top of the downtube, this is a bit of a faff to install tho. I did it as i was sick of trying to get mud out from under the cables and cable ties, i had huge chunks of dead grass and mud trapped under there. I dont like top-tube routing as the suspension action leads to significant bending of the cables, placing them in line with the main single pivot is much nicer for the cables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If anyone is using non BB30 cranks, what adapter are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Ive switched to routing all 3 cables on top of the downtube, this is a bit of a faff to install tho. I did it as i was sick of trying to get mud out from under the cables and cable ties, i had huge chunks of dead grass and mud trapped under there. I dont like top-tube routing as the suspension action leads to significant bending of the cables, placing them in line with the main single pivot is much nicer for the cables.
    Pic please! also if you're running the rear brake line on the top than can it be shorter right.
    I have been eyeN! a Avid CR x9 brake set and the seller said the rear hose is 1650mm long and the front is 850mm long, if they are to long I don't care as much as if they are to short.

mtbr member
    I used this adapter with a Shimano LX external BB type crank.

Quote Originally Posted by urbiksux View Post
    If anyone is using non BB30 cranks, what adapter are you using?

mtbr member
    I picked mine up on Saturday. The trails are way too wet, so just asphalt cruising for now.

more pictures http://http://kustomcreations.smugmu...5616&k=QKn4TNX

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Coach, I was just asking yesterday in that post in the 29er forum if you had yours built yet.
    What does it weigh in at. and is that a stock build I thought you where building-up a SF frame.
    That thing is sweet! the brown truck should be here with mine tomorrow or wed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Coach, I was just asking yesterday in that post in the 29er forum if you had yours built yet.
    What does it weigh in at. and is that a stock build I thought you where building-up a SF frame.
    That thing is sweet! the brown truck should be here with mine tomorrow or wed.
    I was able to locate a stock build so went that route.......weights in 26.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor View Post
    My Spear 1 build:

25.8 lbs

where did you find one? i'll be ready to order (fame only) wednesday and can't seem to find anywhere where they're in stock!

mtbr member
    Here's mine on my first real ride yesterday:

It was actually a pretty subtle ride: I didn't notice the rear suspension doing much, but then again, I didn't notice much impact from the trail, either. That seems a pretty good balance for this frame's target.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast