Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Yes, you can swap out the current crank with a double. Here is the one I bought: TruVativ X9 BB30 2.2 Crankset | Competitive Cyclist. It's a BB30, just like yours. There should be no need for a new derailer. You should be able to adjust yours to make it work. Which one is it? It's possible it will not work. Others may know.

The crank I linked to has a removable spider that you can convert to a single ring pretty easily or get a ring that will fit on the 104 BCD spider included. See: Drop-Stop Chainrings. Perhaps try the 22/36 for a bit and then see if one ring is the way to go and then convert?

Quote Originally Posted by bulboushead View Post
    I currentl have an FSA triple, 24/32/42. It weighs about 900g and I never use the highest ring anyways. Can I use any BB30 2x10 crankset and just swap the cranks? I'm guessing I would also need a new front derailleur.

Can I swap to a single front crank and just remove the derailluer? I think this is the most attractive option if possible, I've seen a few singles and I think I can handle it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    hello, considering getting a spearfish and was wondering whether I could get some (un)biased opinions on them? I currently ride a fully rigid genesis, so this would be my first full susser, and although I do ride XC I do also go to bikeparks every now and then? I've heard that the rear triangle can crack on the 1 and 2's, which makes me think the frames are designed for lighter XC and races. I appreciate this is how they are marketed but can they take a bit of a beating too, or should I look for something a bit burlier? Thanks alot

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm currently 200lbs with camelbak and gear and I've been riding my SF2 frame for about 6 months and no probs so far. I paid £450 UK for a used frame on Ebay. In the last 7 days it's been on a 20mile mtb club evening ride, a 30 mile Isle of Wight Sunday club ride (some fast descents), and yesterday it did a 35mile Dorset Rough Riders DDRT4000 Purbeck route (more fast descents). No cracks yet. :-)
    Tim
    PS. just in case you were wondering, I also accompanied the bike on those rides!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobkirmesdaly View Post
    hello, considering getting a spearfish and was wondering whether I could get some (un)biased opinions on them? I currently ride a fully rigid genesis, so this would be my first full susser, and although I do ride XC I do also go to bikeparks every now and then? I've heard that the rear triangle can crack on the 1 and 2's, which makes me think the frames are designed for lighter XC and races. I appreciate this is how they are marketed but can they take a bit of a beating too, or should I look for something a bit burlier? Thanks alot

Previous gen or current? I had seen a few reports of the previous gen cracking unless it had the 12x142 axle.

Current gen is an entirely different frame. I haven't heard of any frame issues yet and they are definitely much more stiff. IMO the new one is way better than the old.

I have a '14 SF2 and was given a loaner '13 SF3 for a month while Fox fixed some fork issues was really shocked when I got back on mine how well it worked in comparison. Rear is stiff, absorbs rocks etc so smoothly while being HT firm when pedaling.

I also really like the front geometry with the more rake and trail and the shorter chainstays. Just as easy to maneuver in the tight stuff but doesn't feel twitchy like std XC can feel.

-mike

mtbr member
    Do you guys feel that 80 mm is enough for the rear suspension or do you really feel it in the big rocks. I'm considering buying a Spearfish, but don't want to be busting my rear too badly going over the big stuff. Also, what would be the best size for someone 6'0? I don't know my inseam - need to measure that sometime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Do you guys feel that 80 mm is enough for the rear suspension or do you really feel it in the big rocks. I'm considering buying a Spearfish, but don't want to be busting my rear too badly going over the big stuff. Also, what would be the best size for someone 6'0? I don't know my inseam - need to measure that sometime.
    Personally I think it is. I'm not jumping it or anything but we do have plenty of rough rock gardens and down logs around here. Comparing a 14SF2 to a 13SF3 the 14 does a significantly better job and IMO feels like more travel in comparison. I have rarely completely bottomed out my rear travel and feel no need for more for where/ how I ride.

I'm 6' (unknown inseam) and I'm on a large. It fits well but I would be curious to see how much bigger the XL feels. The 13SF3 loaner that I had for a month was also a L but it felt like a longer bike. Now that I have my 14 back it feels a little cramped in comparison but I'm sure I'll get used to it again.

-mike

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I am 6'2" and on the XL '14 model. I agree this version feels like it sizes smaller than the '13 model as I am using a longer stem…100mm?...to get the same basic feel and it still is a different vibe than the older one. 32" inseam, BTW.

To me it feels like 80mm of travel, no more. I am using all the travel the way I have it set and sometimes nudge the o-ring off the shock shaft, but I cannot say I ever know that is happening on trail.

"Big rocks" would make me wonder if 80mms of travel are enough, but so much of that depends on your riding style and expectations that it is hard to say what is 'enough' for you.

If you can live with relatively minimal travel, the '14 'Fish is a super fun trail bike, something the old one was not IMO.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Well, I used to live in Arizona. Down there, the terrain is really rough. But, now that I live in Utah, I think a Spearfish might be sufficient. The things I like about the bike are the low price and the lightness. The other bike I was looking at was the Epic....but Epics are so much more expensive, maybe it isn't fair to compare it to the Spearfish.

Regarding sizing, its interesting that you guys say the Large feels small. The Salsa says that the large is for someone 6'0 to 6'3.

2014 Horsethief XX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Maybe I should buy one when the 2014's go on sale on Universal Cycles - in the October/November?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Well, I used to live in Arizona. Down there, the terrain is really rough. But, now that I live in Utah, I think a Spearfish might be sufficient. The things I like about the bike are the low price and the lightness. The other bike I was looking at was the Epic....but Epics are so much more expensive, maybe it isn't fair to compare it to the Spearfish.

Regarding sizing, its interesting that you guys say the Large feels small. The Salsa says that the large is for someone 6'0 to 6'3.

2014 Horsethief XX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Maybe I should buy one when the 2014's go on sale on Universal Cycles - in the October/November?
    Yeah, I am not sure how they get to that sizing suggestion. I think that is off a bit. It was Salsa that tipped me towards the XL for the review sample and they know me personally, how tall I am, etc. But fit is such an individual thing.

I find that the 'Fish is enough for So Cal XC/light to med trail riding as it is not typically that rough here either, at least in my neck of the woods. When I had my 80mm travel Lenz, it took a trip to Moab to feel I was out of my weight class and it was the ledges of Canyonlands that took the '13 Spearfish to its limits.

If you are a smooth rider and are on moderate to smooth trails, like the stuff I have ridden around St George and Hurricane, the Spearfish for 2014 is a super fun light trail bike. I love the handling compared to the older one and the DW Split Pivot is very good. The '13 version was very close to an Epic in overall feel although the Mini Brain is a bit unique. The '14 'Fish is not really like the Epic in overall demeanor so much as it feels like a short travel trail bike with reasonable limitations. The slacker HT angle, 51mm offset fork, and shorter CS length is a neat combo. Just my take anyway. In fact, it feels less like the endurance bike it was originally created to be than the last model, but overall it is a more fun bike. It is a brilliant climber and the pivot at the rear axle really does let the rear suspension stay active over braking bumps, etc.

However, I would say that moving to 100mm of rear travel is not really a penalty if the rest of the bike is good for you and that extra travel gives you a bit wider range of performance. It is a firm-ish 80mms on the 'Fish. No magic transcending that fact IMO. You won't think, "Gee, I bet I have 120mms of travel back there!"

Despite all this, I would have no issues having the 'Fish as a quiver bike, but I think I would find it a bit limiting as my only FS. I am getting too used to longer legged bikes these days and some of them give up very little in pedaling performance to shorter travel brethren. They will weigh more though, unless you spend big.

Likely more than you asked for, just some random thoughts I have had as I put the bike through its paces.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    However, I would say that moving to 100mm of rear travel is not really a penalty if the rest of the bike is good for you and that extra travel gives you a bit wider range of performance. It is a firm-ish 80mms on the 'Fish. No magic transcending that fact IMO. You won't think, "Gee, I bet I have 120mms of travel back there!"
    Just to be clear, I was saying that the 14 felt like more suspension than the 13. Not necessarily that it felt like more than 80. Do you feel that way? or is that just me?

-mike

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh372 View Post
    Just to be clear, I was saying that the 14 felt like more suspension than the 13. Not necessarily that it felt like more than 80. Do you feel that way? or is that just me?

-mike
    Well, it does not to me, but it does feel bit firmer overall. However, that is pretty subjective and it has been a while since I was on the '13 version. I do get all the 80mms of travel it has to give during typical riding though.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Well, it does not to me, but it does feel bit firmer overall. However, that is pretty subjective and it has been a while since I was on the '13 version. I do get all the 80mms of travel it has to give during typical riding though.
    What sag do you run?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh372 View Post
    What sag do you run?
    Oh…hard to say for sure. I would guess in the 25% range, maybe more, maybe less. I played with pressures until I was using all the travel when it seemed appropriate yet not so much as to be sloshing about and riding low in the travel.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Any idea when the 2014 Spearfish may go on sale at Universal Cycles? Maybe in October when the new models come out?

mtbr member
    Don't expect large discounts this year. To match those on the 13's this winter you'll have to wait for the next redesign, so maybe 2018.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    You could really benefit from a dropper post... Hehe

Posted via mobile
    I added a TMARS dropper.
    It is also Super Saiyan fast now....

Show me your Spearfish-goku.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not enough pics in this thread recently. Here's mine in action on a little S24O over the weekend.

Show me your Spearfish-1-photo-1.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-3-photo-5.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-5-photo-4.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-2-photo-4.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-6-photo-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2014 Spearfish XX1

Only on the eastcoast would they post such a considerate warning! Sweet trail, sweet bike. "Rocky Knob", Boone, NC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-sfrockynob.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My 2013 Spearfish, just purchased as a leftover...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-photo5.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo6.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo7.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo4.jpg  

Show me your Spearfish-photo-8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grantini View Post
    Awesome! I always loved the color sceme on that bike. The white fork/shock looks really good with the red!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks! I agree... I'm giving serious thought to stripping it and powder coating it this winter, but will likely stick with Red, though I might go for another color... so much to consider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My Spearfish 2012

Show me your Spearfish-15309747235_38aebfcf77_b.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-15306591211_4a0de687ef_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I have posted my Spearfish for sale here on MTBR. Here's the ad:

2013 medium Salsa Spearfish 2 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I'm certainly willing to accept reasonable offers. Thanks for looking

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Show me your Spearfish-15553707061_969335c06b_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grantini View Post

I have the same model Spearfish in 16" and love it!

Curious about your bike mount setup though, what SUV is that?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast