Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eherchmer View Post
    Here's my 2011 Spearfish fresh off the Colorado Trail Race this past summer. Perfomed flawlessly...not even a flat tire. About 45 lbs fully loaded.
    That's awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There's something so beautiful about Spearfish with framebags and some mud on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    That's awesome!
    +1 I love it!
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The trails were frozen at the beginning of my ride but quickly thawed, making for a muddy Spearfish.

Edit: here's one from today's ride.

Last edited by brdpkns; 01-14-2013 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2012 Spearfish build just finished today

Carbon wheels, cranks and bar...tubeless...should just barely come in at 25lbs...can't wait to ride her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-spearfish.jpg  

Last edited by seanboyyy; 01-29-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by seanboyyy View Post
    Carbon wheels, cranks and bar...tubeless...should just barely come in at 25lbs...can't wait to ride her.
    You mean you haven't ridden it yet? Why are you wasting time taking pictures? Go ride dude
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    You mean you haven't ridden it yet? Why are you wasting time taking pictures? Go ride dude
    Haha...first ride yesterday. Mannn...this bike can climb AND do work downhill. I was able to clear a techie descent that always tripped me up before. Needless to say...I was STOKED.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I think the Spearfish is a better descender than climber - on technical trails and relative to this type of bike (XC Endurance). Really it doesn't climb much better than my Mamasita, although can be less exhausting because a hardtail will require more manual operation. But downhill is a different story and the Spearfish rips unless faced with mountainbike park downhills.
    I think - With shorter chainstays the bike would be more fun and a better climber.
    M

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Show me your Spearfish-sf-bct.jpgHeres my Spearfish...as a Single Speed! Maiden voyage was awesome, I have a 24 hr race coming we'll see how it works!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF at BCT.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	757014

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Heres my Spearfish...as a Single Speed! Maiden voyage was awesome, I have a 24 hr race coming up we'll see how it works!
    [/QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show me your Spearfish-sf-bct.jpg  

Bicycle Addict
    ^^ What a great picture! ^^
    Do you have a fancy camera?
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wow! That was crazy looking! Must be the new MTBR format? Looks like my post was deleted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx4 View Post
    A bit off topic, but how are you guys liking the Continental X - Kings that are coming on the complete builds? Which version is it?
    I have a 2013 on order, due in late February. Just trying to figure out what I'm going to run for tires and if going tubeless.

Thanks.
    X-Kings are great. One con is they are hard to set tubeless. Killer traction on varied conditions.

mtbr member
    Here she is. 28lb I have to but her on a bit of a diet.

Show me your Spearfish-salsa.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    New fork, front hub, pedals, grips, and saddle. went from a straight steerer open dropout reba to the tapered through axle fox. it's like night and day.

Hey what's up Hudnut? (Don't mean to HJ this thread in any way..) You helped me build up my SF a while back. I am still lovin the bike. I was thinking about upgrading my fork though. I too am running a Reba RL straight 1 1/8 steer and reducer with the 9mm drop outs. I saw this when you upgraded your fork and I saw that you noticed a diffence. I am looking at a new Reba RLT, tapered steerer and 15mm Maxle. Now, I do run a crest up front and I know it is a pretty flexy rim. Nevertheless, I have been pretty content with it. Personally, I like to climb as much as I like to go downhill and I try to pick the best lines on all the trails I ride. So my question is, do you think I will see a noticable diffence. I been reading forums on here in regards to 9mm vs 15mm vs 20mm and I got some good info. However, I figured I would ask you since this is the same bike and had the same fork. I been thinking about getting a new fork for sometime, but then I talk myself out of it by saying to myself, "why not just beat up the fork I have now, then get a new one..." I am sure you know how that goes.. I have a tapered fork with 9mm qr dropouts on my 12' mamasita, and I didn't really notice a difference in stearing or handling with this bike and my SF. Actually, my spearfish felt more stable. But I am sure that was because of the frame, wheelbase, and suspension. On my Sita, I just upgading her with some new hand built arches (white) with some Novatec XC race hubs, and man, I noticed the diffence in handling big time. Especially on the front end. I had a DT swiss xr400 up front before (lighter wheel for sure). My Sita is riding so nice right now man.. So nice.. I will see how she works out at the 24hr OP race (DUO) in a week. Anyhow, I am just thowing my thoughts out there to what input I get.. If I had the money to throw around, I wouldn't be typing write now. I would have already hit the "Buy Now" button, haha.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Here she is. 28lb I have to but her on a bit of a diet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salsa.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	767388
    Yeah, they're all a bit portly. The good thing is, you don't feel the weight when you ride it.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    well. I can't objectively say what feature (tapered or 15qr) resulted in better performance. For me, every aspect of the Fox is superior to the old straight, 9mm, 1st gen reba SL. Therefore sure it felt better! My advice is.. If you've thought about changing out a part, do it! worst case is you don't like the change and you have to resell the part. sometimes you may even make a buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Yeah, they're all a bit portly. The good thing is, you don't feel the weight when you ride it.
    True it feels quite fast. But I'm still going to be racing guys on 23lb Epics. So I want to get it as light as possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    well. I can't objectively say what feature (tapered or 15qr) resulted in better performance. For me, every aspect of the Fox is superior to the old straight, 9mm, 1st gen reba SL. Therefore sure it felt better! My advice is.. If you've thought about changing out a part, do it! worst case is you don't like the change and you have to resell the part. sometimes you may even make a buck.
    Cool, thanks for your response. I am sure it will increase my bikes performance. I guess where I am at is, spending the cash to do it, haha. I will post up pics if I pull the trigger. I am looking at both the Reba and the Fox forks. I already have the 15mm adapters for my front hub.

mtbr member
    My 2013 Spearfish 2 is finished. The rims finally shipped and I was able to lace them up yesterday. Changes include XT Brakes, X9 Shifters, King/WTB i23 wheels, Thomson stem and seatpost. Maxxis Ardent front and Specilazed Ground Control rear. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Looking forward to racking up the miles this year.

Show me your Spearfish-dsc_0881.jpg

Show me your Spearfish-quarter.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The new 2's are looking pretty awesome! How do you like the WTB's?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Another pic with updates

Here's a new pic of my 2012, running SS for now (works great btw). This was a ground up build with some parts from my broken (soon to be replaced) Canfield N9.
    XT cranks w/ 34t Blackshire
    Surley tensionator
    BB7's
    Hope hubs on Stan's Flows,F = Ardent R = Instagator both tubeless.
    Carbon Monkey lite bars, EA50 stem
    Thompson seatpost, cheap TI seat
    F29 w/ remote lockout
    Ergons

26.5lbs as she sits. Pretty happy for FS 29er! So far loving the ride.
    Suspension is just right and doesn't get in the way of your riding. I only have a handful of rides so far, looking forward to the 24HOP this weekend in Tucson!

Show me your Spearfish-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I did a ghetto tubeless conversion on my Salsa Semi (non tubeless) wheels last night. Everything mounted perfectly and the Stan's goo is holding strong. Took the Spearfish to one of the rockier trails nearby to give them a real test. Still going strong.

shut up legs
    Join us on the Spearfish FB group for discussions and whatnot
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/255552797848022/
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

shut up legs
    the white looks nice......where are the red 1's?
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast