mtbr member

Should I run suspension fork on this Dos Niner I'm buying Saturday?

Im getting a sweetheart of a deal on an unfinished '08 Dos Niner. it just needs a chain and front brake caliper. it was built up with a Salsa Grande ridgid fork. I'm thinking that, before I finish it, i should swap the fork for a suspension fork. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't know what kind of trails you are riding or if you are a ridged guy to start with, but I would want some suspension on there. It is pretty unique though, I've seen plenty of fully ridged bikes, but never a suspended rear with a ridged front. Used 1 1/8th forks run pretty cheap now, especially the 80 and 100 mm variety. The bike was speced for 80mm, but I and and others ran 100 mm no problem, it just slackens the front a bit, which I liked considering it has a fairly aggressive race geo. I suspect some front suspension might increase the life of the frame a bit too, as you've probably noticed, these old scandium frames had a finite life span.

mtbr member
    Wow, thank you sir! Very good Infor.

So your saying that these frames do not last very long?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I would look it over really good for cracks where they traditionally have failed. The 1st and 2nd generation green ones typically cracked at the rear seatstay-chainstay junctions. The orange and silver additions beefed this up with a welded insert. Typically the newer ones will fail at the chainstay bottom bracket welds, where the rear shock is mounted, or around the seattube. It depends how aggressively you ride and your terrain. Remember it was designed as a light weight XC bike, so no big jumps or drops. It really was a nice bike and I miss mine, so if it really is a "sweet heart of a deal" and you like the way it rides, it may be worth it. What size is it and you? You could easily get another 2-3 years out of it depending.

mtbr member
    Well, I don't ride aggressive at all. I creep in fear of crashing and broken collar bones.

As for size, I'm 5'9"ish with short legs and a long torso. the bike is a medium.