mtbr member

Should I buy an El Mariachi Ti?

So, I currently have a Titus Racer X 29er and a 2011 Salsa El Mariachi (single speed and 1x9) as my main bikes. I have been thinking that a 2013 El Mariachi Ti (complete) would be a good next bike, something to replace the steel one. It seems like a great build kit, and I do like how my current one fits.

I'm just torn. Would going to a new Ti model be worth it? I would probably use this for the bulk of my riding next year, including some long rides and endurance races.

This is probably like asking the choir for an opinion on the Pope, but what do you all think?

mtbr member
    D'you know, I've been wanting one of the 2013 models since before they were announced. I like Ti frames and I think it would be excellent for bikepacking. With the alternator dropouts, it would even give me the opportunity for fitting an Alfine-11 I have and the Ti/no paint finish will stand up to more abuse from frame bags than a painted steel equivalent.

However.... I've just seen the pricing for the 2013 frame and I've decided it would be better to go for a steel frame and use the (significant amount of) money saved to get a flight somewhere exotic with my bike and actually ride the thing.

What is particularly galling is that I could get a custom Ti frame made up for less than the cost of the Salsa. That indicates something very wrong with the pricing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    D'you know, I've been wanting one of the 2013 models since before they were announced. I like Ti frames and I think it would be excellent for bikepacking. With the alternator dropouts, it would even give me the opportunity for fitting an Alfine-11 I have and the Ti/no paint finish will stand up to more abuse from frame bags than a painted steel equivalent.

However.... I've just seen the pricing for the 2013 frame and I've decided it would be better to go for a steel frame and use the (significant amount of) money saved to get a flight somewhere exotic with my bike and actually ride the thing.

What is particularly galling is that I could get a custom Ti frame made up for less than the cost of the Salsa. That indicates something very wrong with the pricing!
    Were you looking at just the frame, or a complete bike? I've been looking at the complete bike prices, and from what I can tell it's reasonable (something like $3900 complete, IIRC). Best I can tell this is a fair bit less than a similarly equipped carbon frame.

mtbr member
    I've looked at both frame-only and complete build. Either way, there's no way I could justify spending that much more for Ti. Like I said, I'd rather use the money for a flight to Chile or somewhere :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What is the 2013 frame cost?

Birthday Collector
    MSRP for the 2013 El Mar Ti frame is $2k - a bit more than last year's bike by about $100 - but includes the Alternator drop-outs and a bit for "inflation". Just over a 5% increase, with the drop-out upgrade... Not bad, IMO.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    In the UK it has risen from 1600 to 1800. I'll let you work out the exchange rate and inflation!!!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Well, I went ahead and did it. Got a 2013 El Mariachi Ti, medium, complete on order. It'll immediately get a bar, grip, saddle, and seatpost replacement, but other than that I rather like the build kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you can afford it then Hell Yes!!! you should do it...I moved from a steel to a ti Fargo and it blew my mind...