Thread: Shaft Seatpost

mtbr member

Shaft Seatpost

I need a post with setback and don't want to throw down for a Thomson, the Shaft seems good, anyone using one? Any problems? I think I heard people having problems with the little cam thingy.

Thanks

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I've owned three on three different bikes. One had a slight manufacturing problem -- I don't recall specifically what it was, but it had to do with the cam adjustment and I was able to solve it easily with a drill. In service, they've all been great: easy to adjust, quiet, and none failed or came loose or anything like that. Dependable post.

BTW, The Thompson's are certainly nice, but give you very little in the way of useable setback -- something in the neighborhood of 15mm, with a huge clamp that eats up some of that useable range of adjustment. The Salsa gives you around 23mm, the new RaceFace Diablous is 19mm, their old XY is closer to 25mm, as are the current Easton setback posts. Have a good idea of how much rearward offset you're looking for when making your decision.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    May 2004

I had some creaking issues with mine.

I had some creaking issues with mine. Even with my 160lb riding weight. Tried everyting to get it to go away but had no luck. I ended up using a titec 2-bolt - the clamp is offset some, and the clamp is smaller, allowing me to slide the seat rearward. I am pretty much a believer in the 2-bolt design. Setback of the salsa is 23mm which is one of the largest setbacks you can get. The thomson setback is 10mm, which like nate said -- the large clamp goes not allow the full range of the saddle rails. If you really need a lot of setback Titec made a hellbent post years ago that had 1.5" of setback (approx 40mm).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The problem I had with mine is that the angle adjustment of the seat does not have good range. You can point the nose straight up in the air, but you cannot get the saddle level on some saddles. I had to sway mine out since I could not get the saddle to a comfortable angle.

Dr. Frost
    I like mine a lot, I never thought the infinitely adjustable thing mattered too much vs. the "little teeth" type but now I might need to swap out all of my other posts because I can never get them "just right" like I can with the Shaft. I ran the long version 410mm at max extension for the full winter and spring training for the Trans Iowa 3 and then completed the race on it. I'm 195#'s and I didn't have any creaking problems (which would have driven me totally nuts!)