mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Selma Ti -- Need sizing advice -- 5'11" 170lbs

5'11" 170lbs

I've reviewed the Selma fit guide, but would like some guidance from members who have experience with the bike. Can't decide if I need a medium or large.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 5'10" and like to ride with lots of seat post. I've just measured my 410mm Thomson in my medium El Mar Ti.
    From saddle rail to top of seat clamp is 240mm.
    There are still 90mm of post below the centre line of the top tube where it joins the down tube. (see piccies on recent 'Shock Horror' thread). You'll have to decide whether the top tube is long enough to give sufficinet reach for yourself. I bought the layback post (as I read that it absorbs more trail buzz) and my saddle is slid quite far forward on the post. The in-line post would have worked too.
    Hope this helps, Timmy
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 05-07-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Birthday Collector
    Size the bike more to the top tube than the standover - as long as your stand-over clearance is sufficient, you should be sizing to the cockpit, IMO. I'm 5'9" with a longer torso than legs, and just acquired a Medium for myself. Still waiting on the fork I want to have it built and out on the trails, but sizing to an El Mariachi will give you a good idea of what you want to do. Since Selmas are pretty much limited to what dealers have on-hand now, if you have one that is available, see if the El Mar can be ridden. You are right at the size where you would potentially fit either bike, but some of that can be swayed by your leg vs. torso lengths, and riding style, preferences, etc... Sweet riding bike - enjoy whatever size you get!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. The Medium, 90mm stem with a set-back post is ideal. I could get away with a straight post, but seat was all the way back on the rails.

The Whisky fork on here is the 39 degree rake, or similar. I think a new version with 44 is just out- that would tighten handling a bit.

great bike, btw.
    hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Selma Ti -- Need sizing advice -- 5'11" 170lbs-img_0355.jpg  

Selma Ti -- Need sizing advice -- 5'11" 170lbs-img_0357.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would suggest the Medium and try a 100mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I"m on an El Mar Ti (think the geo is the same). 6', 32" inseam, long monkey arms. The large fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 5'11", 170 w/ 32" inseam and I ride an older steel El Mariachi, rigid fork. Size medium, 110mmx0, low riser bars, thomson layback. It fits the way like, but it is a shade on the small side. I suspect that you could go either way depending on personal preference.