mtbr member
    May 2006

Selma ebb issues

I've search all over these forums, but not really found any viable solutions, so before I completely give up on my Salsa Selma frame, I thought I'd ask:

I have a 2010 Salsa Selma scandium/carbon stays ss frame with a Bushnell ebb. I purchased it new in 2011 and have been riding it for about 18 months now. The entire time I have owned and ridden this bike, I have had problems with the ebb creaking, which is just annoying, and slipping, which is a much more serious issue as I prefer to run a gear that puts the bb at bout 7-8 o'clock, then I find after some rough down hills, the ebb slips down closer to 6 o'clock, making it so my chain is way to tight to pedal properly (and if I've forgotten to bring a long enough 4mm allen key on the ride it really sucks).

At first I just sort of lived with these issues, ignoring the creaking and repositioning and re-tightening the ebb as needed when it slipped. As this got more annoying, I've tried to get more serious about resolving the problems, but haven't been able to. I've tried completely taking apart the ebb, cleaning the frame, cleaning and applying grease to all pieces of the ebb. This has not helped at all. Creaking is as bad as ever, I still get slipping to where chain is over tightened, and I've also noticed that my ebb also tends to slip horizontally out toward the drive side about 2mm during rides.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to eliminate the ebb issues with this frame? I can see why the El Mar uses alternator dropouts - I have an El Mar as my geared bike and I've never had any issues with the alternator dropouts. I'd love to replace my Selma with and an El Mar (overall I love the feel of steel and only like the feel of the scandium/carbon Selma, though the lighter weight is nice), but I don't want to give up my geared bike and I can't currently find any where to get an El Mar frame - they seem to be hard to come by these days. If there were anyway I could get the ebb in my Selma to stop creaking and slipping, it would be nice to be able to keep using that frame for a while.

Birthday Collector
    You might try using some of the "assembly compound" that is used on Carbon Fiber frames and seatposts. It feels like a "gritty grease" and it is somewhat of a lube while sliding things together but when you tighten the parts, it grips quite well. I used it on a steel frame with aluminum EBB years ago and it did the trick. FSA makes small packets of it that run about $5 and is enough to do a couple of BB's, as well as a seatpost or three, if you have a CF post on the bike. [Edit] You just want to apply this to the surfaces between the frame shell and the outer portion of the BB eccentric...!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have one of these frames - grease absolutely everything; Bushnell, inside shell, BB threads, BB axle etc... I eventually narrowed my creak down to the cranks. If the BB is moving when ring it sounds like it isn't tight enough?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    You might try using some of the "assembly compound" that is used on Carbon Fiber frames and seatposts. It feels like a "gritty grease" and it is somewhat of a lube while sliding things together but when you tighten the parts, it grips quite well. I used it on a steel frame with aluminum EBB years ago and it did the trick. FSA makes small packets of it that run about $5 and is enough to do a couple of BB's, as well as a seatpost or three, if you have a CF post on the bike. [Edit] You just want to apply this to the surfaces between the frame shell and the outer portion of the BB eccentric...!
    yes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a El Mar with the Bushnell and a buddy has the Selma...

Basically the thing that worked for us is too remove your BB and the EBB. Clean everything, the BB shell all of the EBB parts and the BB itself. Use plenty of fresh grease on everything and reinstall and torque it to spec.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by tatchance View Post
    I have a El Mar with the Bushnell and a buddy has the Selma...

Basically the thing that worked for us is too remove your BB and the EBB. Clean everything, the BB shell all of the EBB parts and the BB itself. Use plenty of fresh grease on everything and reinstall and torque it to spec.
    Do that, but use the assembly compound on the inner surface of the BB shell on the frame, it will "grip" better. Grease everywhere else!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Do that, but use the assembly compound on the inner surface of the BB shell on the frame, it will "grip" better. Grease everywhere else!
    So I tried that. The good news is that with the assembly compound and after cleaning and re-greasing again, it was much more quiet than when I didn't use the carbon assembly compound. The bad news is that the ebb still slipps out a few mm to the drive side no matter how much I tighten it (well, I haven't cracked the shell yet, so I guess I could keep going tighter, but I think its already way over torque spec. ). After riding a few miles, I checked and the chain tension was high enough that the cranks no longer would spin properly. I stopped on the trail and re-adjusted. I tried just re-tightening the ebb with it already out a bit to where it always slips anyway to see if at least I could then keep consistent chain tension for the rest of the ride, but it still slipped more (not further out, but the chain got way tight again).

At least for now, I'm giving on on this frame for ss - it's too much trouble to have to keep stopping, checking the chain tension, and readjusting while on a ride. I've moved all my nice ss components over to my El Mar frame, giving up having a geared bike for now. Perhaps when I have money to buy the other parts I'd need (a second 1X crank set, chain guide, derailleur hanger), I'll rebuild the Selma as a 1X10, because with a rear derailleur I could just put the ebb at it lowest point, and then even if it did slip a little it would not really matter. I could move a bb cup spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side to keep my chain line about right, even though the ebb insists on riding about 2-3 mm out the right side of the shell.

I know a couple of other riders who have this same frame and have had no serious issues with the ebb, so I think it is perhaps just something with my particular frame. I suspect that perhaps I've overtightened it in the past and ovalized the shell a bit, which may be contributing to my inability to get it to not slip (horizontally and around). I have tried it in different positions (with different gears), but the behavior is consistent.