mtbr member

Salsa Spearfish XL soldout?

So I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new 29er FS frame to replace my 21" hardtail Motobecane frame. It looks like the reviews for the Spearfish are mostly positive and all the reviews seem to indicate its a good frame and pretty light weight for the price.

So I contacted my LBS and they said that Salsa is sold out of the Spearfish 1 and 2 frames in XL and no idea when they'd come in. If I can find one online I may go that route. It looks the the SF1 is $1,499 and the SF2 is $999, does that sound correct?

Other option is to just get a Niner JET9 XL for $1,250. Any reason I should hold out for a Spearfish over the JET?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    universal cycles is having a killer deal on 2012 spearfish 3 completes, only $1350. although it sounds like you are looking for a frame only, i guess you could get the complete and sell the parts.

just throwing the idea out there for you

mtbr member

Re: Salsa Spearfish XL soldout?

Quote Originally Posted by zskolb View Post
    universal cycles is having a killer deal on 2012 spearfish 3 completes, only $1350. although it sounds like you are looking for a frame only, i guess you could get the complete and sell the parts.

just throwing the idea out there for you
    Thanks for pointing that out Z. Really does look like a good deal. How does the Rockshox Ario RL shock compare to the Monarch? I was planning on just moving the SRAM X7 drive train/juicy 5, and WTB Speed Disk wheels over from my old bike. Looks like low end shifters, crank, and the wheels are probably on par with my current setup. Hmmm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I did exactly what you are talking about. Frame only Spearfish and Moto Parts. Works but there are some things to consider. The bottom bracket on the Moto is probably an external bearing GXP or something like that. The BB in the spearfish is a press 30... Odd Adapter required. I ended up just biting the bullet and getting a new crankset as the adapter never rode centered in the BB. The Spearfish requires a tapered fork. I bet the Moto has a straight headtube fork which will require an adapting headset. Front derailleur probably wont fit either so you will have to get a new one of those too. You will also need a complete set of shifter cables and and rear brake cable or hydro hose.
    Point is...when you look at what it will really cost....you can just buy the complete bike and have 2.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mrmas View Post
    Point is...when you look at what it will really cost....you can just buy the complete bike and have 2.
    I agree, the more I looked into it, the complete Spearfish 3 is probably the best deal.

If I could find a XL Spearfish 2;
    $999 frame
    $190 X9 BB30 Crank
    $50 jagwire cable kit and avid hoses
    $10 Headset reducer for 1-1/8" steer
    $40 X9 front der
    $60 misc parts/shipping
    Total $1350

Yep, that settles it right there!

mtbr member

I haven't had a chance to ride a Spearfish yet. There is a shop in town that had a 13' SF3 in stock but I really hate to waste their time as they won't be able to compete with a $1350 price tag.

Do you think a XL will fit s 6'6" 36" inseam rider? My true cycling inseam is closer to 38".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG View Post
    $190 X9 BB30 Crank

Here's a free $95, from me to you - killer deal on X9 BB30's - $95: Sram X.9 10 Speed BB30 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 03-19-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: my math sucks

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG View Post
    I haven't had a chance to ride a Spearfish yet. There is a shop in town that had a 13' SF3 in stock but I really hate to waste their time as they won't be able to compete with a $1350 price tag.

Do you think a XL will fit s 6'6" 36" inseam rider? My true cycling inseam is closer to 38".

No, I think it will be way too small. I'm 6'4" and my XL is borderline too small - running 130mm stem. There are other great bikes in XXL size.
    M

mtbr member

Thats what I'm afraid of. I usually don't have much issue with reach and top tube length since im all legs. My 21" frame Motobecane w/ 120mm stem fits me pretty well besides a maxxed out 400mm seat post.

Looking at the geometry charts;

My Windsor Cliff 29er
    ST 21"
    ETT 24.5"
    HT 5.5"

Spearfish
    ST 22"
    ETT 25"
    HT 5.5"

I don't have good reach/stack nubers so that makes it a bit hard to compare. On paper it looks like it should be a little larger than my current frame. However, a test ride will be the only way to know.

The only larger FS 29er frame I know of is the Ventana El Ray. Quite a bit more money though.

ST 23.5"
    ETT 26.3"
    HT 7.13"

Any other suggestions for XXL FS frames in the $1000 price range?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Turner makes XXL's as well. Again, like the Ventana, lots more $$$. Chain Reaction has some nice deals on DW Sultans right now, but I don't see any in your size.

You might look at Kona - the Hei Hei 29er comes in a 22" frame that has a 25.5" ETT - just a little longer than the SF. here's a used Scandium frame on fleabay: Kona 2012 Hei Hei Supreme 22" Scandium Frame with Fox Float RP23 BSD | eBay

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Turner makes XXL's as well. Again, like the Ventana, lots more $$$. Chain Reaction has some nice deals on DW Sultans right now, but I don't see any in your size.

You might look at Kona - the Hei Hei 29er comes in a 22" frame that has a 25.5" ETT - just a little longer than the SF. here's a used Scandium frame on fleabay: Kona 2012 Hei Hei Supreme 22" Scandium Frame with Fox Float RP23 BSD | eBay
    That Kona looks tempting. Its not much bigger than the SF but it could be a good deal. I did a completed listings search on the Hei Hei to get an idea on the sale price but the only thing that came up was the same frame/seller as your link. He listed it for $1090 BIN last time with no buyers. What do you guess a fair price will be on a used Hei Hei w/ a Fox RP23?

mtbr member

Got the Spearfish on tuesday and put together last night!

Put on my 780mm wide Salsa Whammy Bars, Ergon GA-1 grips, and my Ritchey Pro Streem V2 Saddle.

Fit and comfort feel good so far. The front wheel was way out of true, I got it pretty close before I took it for a test drive. I need to get the shock/fork setup with the propper sag but other than that its ready for the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How is the size working out, I'm about the same size and am looking at the Spearfish, but no LBS has it in stock.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

OP - looks like you got an XL?
    M

mtbr member

I did get the XL size. Fit feels good to me. Reach is comfortable and the bar/saddle drop isn't bad. I haven't gotten to ride as much as I'd like because all the rain we've gotten in Indiana (plus a recent knee injury is keeping me off the bike).

I picked up a 410mm Thompson Elite setback to try out. There were some burrs inside the seat tube that scratched up the salsa seatpost. I cleaned it out with a brake cylinder hone so it won't do the same to my Thompson.

I'll report back when I can get some more saddle time.