mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Salsa Horsethief question.

Does the HT have the same suspension as a Santa Cruz superlight? Looking to get my first trail bike.

mtbr member
    Not a 100% answer to your question, but,

Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Horsethief 1

Salsa News - November 2012
    Last edited by mikeyonthemadone; 11-23-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more info

openwound
    They are both single-pivot full-suspension frames. Generally speaking, single-pivot frames have a tendency to bob. One way to address this issue is with a pro-pedal (or similarly equipped) shock, which introduces a "platform" setting that one would typically engage while climbing. (the link will take you to a wikipedia article on bike suspension where the idea of "platform" is discussed.)
    Alternatives to single-pivot are things such as vpp, four-bar, dw-link... These types of frames tend to be more expensive due to the added linkages and bits -- at least that's what the bike companies would have us believe... YMMV
    -- let's ride

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    My full rigid Mamasita bobs more than my Spearfish. I guess I don't pedal perfect circles anymore and have adapted whatever non-round power output to the Spearfish. But also tires alone don't have damping like a rear shock, so bouncing can build, well undamped.

To the OP - I have never looked at the Superlight, but the rear suspension on the Spearfish is quite good - but clearly there is a compromise to ultimate ground following traction for a simpler (less expensive), stiffer design. Mine absolutely rails any downhill easily rivaling my friends 140mm travel 26ers, but the low speed ground tracking could be improved. It's the kind of suspension I sometimes forget is there, then switch to my Mamasita and realize how much the Spearfish is helping me.
    M