mtbr member

Salsa frame warranties

According do Salsa's website, they warranty their Titanium frames for life, steel for 5 years and aluminum for 3. Isn't steel just as strong as titanium only heavier? And in the long run, I thought steel had better fatigue characteristics. I ask because I just got a steel El Mariachi and hope that it lasts a long time carrying my 215 lbs.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Their warranty is probably driven more by market factors than material properties, which depends on which alloy and post-weld condition anyway, so you can't make generalities like Ti is more fatigue-resistant than steel. I'll tell you Salsa just replaced my carbon seat-stay Mamasita, which came unglued, with a 2012 version - props to Salsa.
    M

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    No its been well known in the bicycle world (nevermind the real engineeeing world knew it longer) that titanium has better fatigue resistance than the steel alloys commonly used in bicycles.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I think the point is that relative fatigue properties of bike frame materials do not correlate to the warranty period. And although titanium alloys typically have excellent fatigue properties, better than steels - in the raw state, I'm not so sure that holds in the welded state. And it's in the weld affected zone that frames often (not always) break.
    M

mtbr member
    Do the warranties take corrosion into account? Unloved steel frame could rust out within a "lifetime" warranty? Titanium won't do that, will it?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    No corrosion nor wear & tear (ie, metal fatigue) is not covered under most any warranties. Technically under US law, a brand doesn't have to offer more than six months warranty for a frame. Those that offer more do so simply for marketing purposes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread