Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride Everything

Salsa Fork Recall (Vaya & La Cruz)

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    And here:
    Safety Recall: Salsa Vaya & La Cruz Bicycle Forks | Salsa Cycles

My shop got a "heads up" email yesterday.

rth009
    May 2010
    How do these recalls usually work. Do you have to give your shop your fork, have them send it in, and wait until they ship it back to the shop? The shop I bought my bike from is 350 miles away

mtbr member
    So what? We all get new black forks? How are they different in design?

(If you work at Salsa, chime in!)

Ride Everything
    Just checked mine, and it's not one of those affected by the recall.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If its not frame color, I want a new frame/fork. Tired of Salsa recalls. I didn't buy the bike to have a mismatched fork. Same with the stem on my El Mar, Pistola, Casseroll, and La Cruz. Srsly? This is getting old.

Q - you don't have so many bikes that this should be happening all the time. Come on!

Aug 2006
    From the email I got, the forks are painted to match.

Axe biker, you poor baby. Must be so rough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    WTF, dude? How many Salsa's have you owned with recalls? The only ones I've had so far that HAVEN'T have been my Muk, Con Crosso, and my Fargo.

That's more than 50%, a-hole. Literally tens of thousands that I've spent with the majority needing recalls, so kindly kiss off. What's your problem?

Aug 2006
    I have no problem.

The pistola has not had a recall that I know of. The others have.

Besides your time (witch must be ample as you seem to spend some time on the Internet)
    What has not been taken care of?

Would you rather ride dangerous ****, or have it fixed for you?

Working a shop, I don't get people like you. Should your new fork come with a handie too?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ok. still 50%. is that somehow ok?

Yeah...my 149 posts over the past 9 years must mean I spend a lot of time on the net... Really? That's the best you have?

You work a shop? Well, there ya go! Your attitude makes much more sense now. We all owe you, I guess. My hard earned money will go to support more Internet companies because of the LBS elitist dick-wads like you. Try to support local companies, and this is the feedback I get - its "my fault". I ask too much....I mean, steel bikes are such new, cutting edge technology and all that...

I guess asking for a quality product is too much these days...from a company they call "Q"... You're making a great argument for your cause.

That's okay. There's lots of builders out there. Interestingly enough, having been a race/club/enthusiast/OCD multi-style bike owner since 1987, Salsa is the first company I've had recall issues with. Huh. Whaddyknow?

Aug 2006
    Right.

Anyway, I want a line by line breakdown of each bike, and what you consider a "recall"

Cause the only recall I know of usually involves the CPSC.

I'm not going to touch your ranting about bike shops. That's your thing.

I just like to help people have a good time on bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    El Mar - stem
    La Cruz - stem, fork
    Casseroll - stem
    El Mar #2 - stem
    Pistola - Stem
    Vaya - fork
    Pistola - was originally spec'd with the recalled cromo stem. Shipped with an alloy stem.

Bikes without recalls (so far): Muk 3, Fargo 2

A recall is a recall, CPSC or otherwise.

No rant, just a typical LBS response to how superior they are to the Internet people that sell the same thing, and how I should kiss their ass because they provide such great service... Your attitude typifies the LBS if ever I saw it.

I like t have a good time on a bike too - I have for nearly 25 years of "serious" riding. I've been riding Salsa for about 3 or 4 years now. I've never had any other recalls to date beyond their products. Why are you swinging so hard from their nuts? I LOVE Salsa bikes, but my patience has limits. They're big boys, and can handle themselves without your fanboi-shop rat BS. I love them as much as anyone. Clearly, there is a QC issue. But the way you paint it, I should be grateful for their problems. Yeah. Makes sense.
    Last edited by axebiker; 06-13-2013 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The breakfast dude's all over q's nuts.. We had the sam conversation abt pugsley recalls.. They must be single-handedly putting his kids through preschool.. Who can blame him eh?

Aug 2006
    I'm not on anyone's nuts, I'm just pointing out some common sense items that people seem to forget from time to time. Boogman, our conversation was about you being wrong, lest you forget.

It does suck about the stems, but they handled it well, and any customer of mine was taken care of pretty dang fast.

You still have not said if you would prefer riding unsafe product Vs. having something replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post

You still have not said if you would prefer riding unsafe product Vs. having something replaced.
    You actually *need* to ask? What do you think? Geezus...

That is not the point. The point is the HIGH incidence of recalls on the majority of the Salsas I have owned - I'm quite weary of it, and they need to get better at what they're doing, or risk losing loyal customers like me. I've purchased all those bikes in the past 5 years, BTW, so I have every right to gripe. I don't buy these bikes so that a year later, I get to replace parts with mis-matched colors, or non-Salsa parts altogether.

Can we be done now? If you had a point to make, it's long been lost.

Aug 2006
    Of the 5 "recalls" you had to deal with:
    -one was changed before you even got it-should not even be on your list, IMHO
    -four were for the same part-that sucks
    -one was the current Vaya/La Cruz fork

One part did affect your fleet quite a bit, and that's a drag. I can see why you are worked up. But you are a bit over the top, and you are acting like there has been 7 "recalls" or whatever, when in fact, you have been affected by two.

ALSO, You are totally wrong about a "recall being a recall" It's not a recall unless the CPSC is involved. Sorry, but that's a fact.

Since you seem pretty helpless, I called salsa on the recall number and asked about the pretty colors of forks. All the replacement forks are going to be painted. It took me about 30 seconds.

I'm willing to be done if you are, but you seem to be more worked up than I am what with all the name-calling and ranting.

You sure you got it all out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pancake Adventurer - hopefully you don't complain about reduced business from online shops, because you're the type that drives people there. Recalls are a pain, especially if you're the one that has to go back and forth from a shop multiple times that might be an hour+ away from home.

Axebiker - specialized has recalls too, along with many other companies. I had to bring both my tarmac and crux in this year to have the forks reinforced. I wasn't happy, but at least they're fixed now. I also have a la cruz, but since I bought it in 2009 and have ridden 10,000+ miles on it I can't imagine it's one of the forks in the recall. Guess it's time to pull my fork... this will be the third bike this year I've had to do this for. Not fun, but at least salsa and specialized don't sweep things under the rug like SRAM (only provide warranty once something breaks).

Aug 2006
    Iím sorry you feel that way, and I don't complain. However, you are free to make your own choices.

Anyway, why are you pulling your 2009 fork? You donít need to.

Itís right in the body of the notice:

ďLa Cruz bicycle forks are black"

Sold at Bicycle stores nationwide and on various websites from February 2011 through June 2012 for about $100 individually for La Cruz forks and on Salsa Vaya bicycles for between $1,300 and $1,600.

Save yourself 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post
    Anyway, why are you pulling your 2009 fork? You donít need to.

Itís right in the body of the notice:

ďLa Cruz bicycle forks are black"

Sold at Bicycle stores nationwide and on various websites from February 2011 through June 2012 for about $100 individually for La Cruz forks and on Salsa Vaya bicycles for between $1,300 and $1,600.

Save yourself 10 minutes.
    Appreciate the info on the 2009, I was assuming that was the case since the production dates on the forks seemed long after when I bought my bike, but wasn't 100% sure.

All I was saying is don't jump on peoples' backs for being annoyed by recalls. They can be very inconvenient in some situations, especially if you have to deal with it on multiple occassions. I personally use my LBS whenever possible, but can understand how people get driven online.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I bought my Vaya from RealCyclist in August of 2011, but my steerer tube read "2010" only.
    Am I good to go or did I not look hard enough?
    Good luck and be safe.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    I bought my Vaya from RealCyclist in August of 2011, but my steerer tube read "2010" only.
    Am I good to go or did I not look hard enough?
    Good luck and be safe.
    Ok, you are fine.

This recall involves all Salsa Vaya bicycle forks stamped with the batch codes 2011 02 21
    2011 04 11
    2011 06 14
    2011 09 09

and all Salsa Cycles La Cruz bicycle forks stamped with the batch codes
    2011 03 01
    2011 04 08
    2011 05 30
    2011 09 09

The batch code is stamped on the steerer tube. The forks are made of tubular chromoly steel and can be installed on any bicycle that takes a threadless 1-1/8 inch steerer tube. They were sold individually and as original equipment on Salsa Vaya bicycles and framesets. Salsa Vaya bicycle forks are orange or dark gray. La Cruz bicycle forks are black.

Safety Recall: Salsa Vaya & La Cruz Bicycle Forks | Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    In defense of Salsa, I say it's cool that this is going down only to a handful of cases (I think I read 7 ). I like that they are putting rider safety before company reputation. Also, being a La Cruz and Vaya, who knows what the riders were doing when their fork failed. Neither bike is a hardcore off road bike and we have all been tempted to test the limits from time to time. I own a SS Casseroll, a Vaya, and a Mukluk and I will continue to buy Salsas in the future. Safety first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mine isn't covered by the recall but it is great that salsa is taking care of it.
    It is pretty sad that companies hide flaws in products to the point where it makes the handful that own up and take care of the consumer look bad.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Stupid Americans.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    I posted this in the Eastern Canada forum, but may have better results here. I called the recall number and they said it was a US recall and didn't apply to bikes outside the US?!?! I took my stem out and it's a 2011 0614 which definitely falls in the range. Has anyone dealt with this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast