Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#4,563 ·
I just bought a B17 but haven't treated it yet but that's on my "to-do" list.

As for riders I'd like to do...

The 237-mile Katy trail in MO.

Every long-distance rails-to-trails type trail in WI.

The Luce State trail in MN.

The Paul Bunyan trail in MN.

A very ambitious list of trails that I probably won't even come close to even doing three of them. Damn knee problems...

#4,564 ·
A Nice Ladies B-17 Showed Up Today!

A nice Ladies B-17 showed up today! I thought there was only one kind. It came up as standard one size and ladies on Amazon. I figured they were just maximizing search hits by adding ladies. Oh well, my wife gets a new saddle. It will work well on the new Vaya, Fargo or Ogre she's getting later this summer.

A Kona Makena for my six year old also showed up today!:)

I'll try for me again next week.;)

#4,567 ·
I have a Gen II Fargo am I'm thinking about adding a suspension fork for rougher trails. Does anyone know what current fork makes/models will work with the Gen II?

thanks
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

The Gen 2 was meant for any suspension fork with 80mm of travel. Also, you will need a straight, 1 1/8th steer tube fork. I have a Gen 2 with a Rock Shox Reba set to 80mm. I chose a "G2" version, which has 51mm offset to better match the rigid fork, but you can go with the 44-46mm offset forks and you should be okay.

G
#4,572 ·
That's par for the course for a while. It goes away. You don't want to put any of the normal saddle treatments on top (like proofhide) either as this makes things worse. SnoProof (or similar bees wax treatments) can provide some protection without slicking up the top (try on a non-saddle first). Most folks just add leather treatment to the bottom and let it work it's way through.

#4,576 ·

Ti Fargo, sp dynamo, spyre brakes, rival shifters, sks blumel fenders, velocity blunt 35 rims, super motos, supernova lights front and back Bontrager rack, also stick the exactly the same rack on the front some times if i need more carry capacity, works well.

you can do all of this on alternator dropouts as well.

#4,579 ·
My first real ride on my new-to-me 2014 XL Fargo was last night! I put 20 miles on, stopping several times to adjust saddle and bar position. Overall it was a decent maiden voyage, but I have some work to do before I will feel totally comfortable. After riding on flats all winter on the Mukluk I was not happy with my foot position and the narrower Q-factor took a bit of getting used to. I am going to change the cleat position on my shoes tonight, moving the cleat back closer to the center of my foot. I hope this gives me a better feel on the bike and increases the comfort level. I also need to keep tweaking my bar position. The bike came with a Midge Bar and I am already thinking of getting the large Woodchipper to get more width. I am tall with wide shoulders and I could use more width I think. All in all a good start! Can't wait to dial this thing in!

#4,581 ·
so how about this action here:

SRAM GX Product Overview

Singletracks article on SRAM GX

BLUF - new, affordable SRAM drive train options. Of most interest to me and my Fargo is the new 2x11 GX drivetrain. 36/24 and 10-42t = more low-end juju than the present SRAM X5/7/9 options with almost no loss in top end speed

I also read that it might end up working with SRAM road shifters too, so yeehaw! Potentially outstanding new drivetrain options for my Fargo Ti (someday...haha)

#4,592 ·
Suspension Forks

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Here's a pic I took a few weeks ago of my (mostly) stock Fargo. I'm looking to upgrade to a suspension fork and am seeking input. I have a very limited budget and am considering something in the neighborhood of the RockShox XC30 ($150 - $250) .
RockShox XC 30 TK Coil Forks - 9mm QR 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Anybody on here care to share their experience/opinions about adding a suspension fork?

Also, I'm pretty sure mine's a 2014 model (the first year they added Alternator dropouts, right), so if I wanted to use it with the stock wheels, I would need a fork with these specs, right?
  • 9mm QR
  • 100mm travel
  • non-tapered steerer tube

It's awesome to find such an active forum about such an awesome bike.

Cheers.

#4,593 ·
Ti Fargo Built!!

Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

First commute on new Ti Fargo build-

Wheels: Stans Crest
Tires: 700 x 40 Kenda Happy Mediums
Engine room: Sram x-9 crank with 32 AB oval chainring, Sram xo RD (9 speed), Sram 991 cassette, Sram 9 spd. chain, & Shimano pedals
Cockpit: Jones H bars, Thomson X2 stem, XT brakes, Sram XO grip shift
Seat post: Thomson
Saddle: Brooks B15 Cambium
Rack: Salsa with axiom panniers

#4,598 ·
Fargo 2014 Build

Here's my build yall: 2014 home build with a Chinese carbon fork. It's done getting towards 1000 miles over the winter and it is ridiculously good. I ride up hills, down hills, on trails, on rocks, through streams, and frequently a mixture of all of the above and it handles these conditions with aplomb. I run standard Maxxis crossmarks (tubeless with Stan's sealant) which aren't the best for Scottish trails but I enjoy a bit of sliding around, so it works for me. They are rapid on hardpack and tarmac and combined with the mega light Arch EX/DT swiss 340 combo these wheels are about as light as my road bike winter wheels.

I went with Dura ace bar end shifters because they are bomb proof and I can dismantle and fix them at will (not that there is anything inside them to break). SRAM brifters work great, but I've had 2 sets of rival front shifter paddles snap on me within 12 months which is unacceptable, and the pinion gear in the rear shifter erodes with grit giving them a nominal life of about a year of real riding before the inevitable progressive/catastrophic loss of down shifting. Shimano brifters are more solid, but below ultegra stop working effectively after about a year in my experience.

Full build details:
XT chainset 42:28
SLX cassette 11:36
XT shadow 9 rear derailleur (Road 10 speed has the same pull as Mountain 9 speed with shimano)
XT front mech
Dura Ace 10 speed bar end shiters
Chinese carbon front fork (£120, nearly identical to the Whisky through bolt front fork and has taken a beating and continues to work flawlessly:BARGAIN)
ZTR arch ex on DT Swiss 340 hubs
Avid BB7 discs
Cane creek SCR-5 levers
Woodchipper bar
WTB Pure V saddle

Total weight: 11.3 kg