Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#4,503 ·
Yep. If its raining, then I just understand that I'm going to get wet. I got wet, giggidy, with or without fenders. So I took them off - planet bike cascadia fenders. I have Goretex boots that keep my feet dry and gaiters if its really bad.

To caveat, I have a locker room to shower and change in at work which makes a huge difference.

#4,508 ·
I am an every day, rain or shine commuter and have Planet Bike Cascadia fenders on my Fargo. I would suggest to anyone reading this forum that they make a huge difference and are a great investment. The difference between how much crap you are going to get on you and your bike when commuting on a wet road is night and day.

I have great facilities where I work and understand that being wet is no problem. It's all about staying warm, not dry. Fenders do an excellent job and I thoroughly recommend them.

#4,507 ·
Okay, here is a question for those riding the 2015 Fargo TI, 2, and 3: How are the wheels? I am still leaning toward the Fargo as opposed to anything Surly is offering, but I am curious to the ride quality and strengths of the wheels specced on the different model Fargos for 2015.

I don't really like the rest of the component spec, but I can live with what they have decided to hang on the frame. But the wheels I am concerned with. I am 6'1", currently 250 lbs (goes down to around 220 when riding regularly, I am off due to injury but ready to ride soon!). How do the stock wheels put up with a bigger guy like me?

If they aren't all that great it might be worth my time and extra cost to purchase the frame and build up the bike with my own spec.

If I go with a money is no object wheelbuild, I was thinking of Pacenti DL31 rims, Hadley Hubs, DT Competition butted spokes with brass nipples, possibly 36 hole four cross. I would spec the 15 QR front and 12x142 thru axle rear.

My last ride (26er) was on XT hubs, Mavic XM719, DT Comps, 32 hole 3 cross....they have been pretty good strong wheels, a good balance of strength and performance. I could go with that type of build in 29, but I think something stronger might be better.

#4,511 ·
Okay, here is a question for those riding the 2015 Fargo TI, 2, and 3: How are the wheels? I am still leaning toward the Fargo as opposed to anything Surly is offering, but I am curious to the ride quality and strengths of the wheels specced on the different model Fargos for 2015.

I don't really like the rest of the component spec, but I can live with what they have decided to hang on the frame. But the wheels I am concerned with. I am 6'1", currently 250 lbs (goes down to around 220 when riding regularly, I am off due to injury but ready to ride soon!). How do the stock wheels put up with a bigger guy like me?

If they aren't all that great it might be worth my time and extra cost to purchase the frame and build up the bike with my own spec.

If I go with a money is no object wheelbuild, I was thinking of Pacenti DL31 rims, Hadley Hubs, DT Competition butted spokes with brass nipples, possibly 36 hole four cross. I would spec the 15 QR front and 12x142 thru axle rear.

My last ride (26er) was on XT hubs, Mavic XM719, DT Comps, 32 hole 3 cross....they have been pretty good strong wheels, a good balance of strength and performance. I could go with that type of build in 29, but I think something stronger might be better.
I'm on a 2014 Mustard Fargo 3 - The stock wheels have held up nicely to me, although I was a little disappointed to find the hubs where cup and cone type. I had to retighten the rear hub after 2 weeks of riding, but its been solid ever since and I've had the bike a few months now. I really havent used the bike for much more than commuting, has not seen any real dirt as of yet, so the wheels are working fine for me.

My wheels came with the Sun Ringle Inferno 25 rims, no issues so far.

#4,521 ·
All being said and done....what are the competitors to the Salsa Fargo? Production stuff, not custom made. Mountain bike with drop-bars, not cross or gravel bikes with wider rims.

I saw the Trek 920....interesting concept with the hybrid cable/hydro brakes, the use of bar end shifters instead of brifters, and thru-axles front and rear. I sent a question to Trek about tire clearance and they advised the absolute max tire size is 29x2.3...depending on tread, stating they advise to leave 6mm clearance between tire and frame/fork. They advised the fork and frame are not suspension corrected. Comes in aluminum instead of steel. This could be a competitor to the Fargo, but I want the option to run suspension.

I also have seen the Specialized AWOL. I like the steel frame, but it is stated as only taking 29x2.0 tires...Not suspension friendly either, seems mostly a bad-road focused machine...which pretty much is the Trek focus as well when I look closer at it.

The only other thing I can think of doing as an alternative is running drop-bars on one of the Surly's or on another standard 29'er mountain bike.

#4,524 ·
If you don't like the bike or company that makes it, sell it or don't buy it in the first place.

There is no conspiracy to separate you or anyone else from their money. The bike is, and has been since 2010, a mountain bike and has been marketed as such. Frame/seat bags are the new norm; for better or worse. In general, people don't run full coverage fenders on mountain bikes. For the record, I like full coverage fenders and use them on my Vaya so I'm somewhat sympathetic to your wants. Just buy the damn dropouts and ride your bike.

To the dude that hasn't bought it yet, don't. It will not end well. I've seen this in other hobbies too, you're approaching this purchase from a negative place. Check out the singular, or maybe a comotion.

Now can we please stop whining, theorizing about conspiracies, and Monday morning product planning and talk about where were gonna ride our bikes this year!?!? Haha

I plan on an overnighter or four to a local(45 miles each way on 90% dirt roads) state park. The big trip on the Fargo this year wil be from home(Nortern Vermont) to my old home of northern Virginia with a day or two hanging out with my mom in the finger lakes of New York. I've been thinking about the route for a year or so now and have done some preliminary research, should be fun, as much dirt as reasonable. I also have a nice 50ish mile ride that is 20% pavement, 30% dirt road, 50% singletrack that I aim to do 3-4 times a month this season, reality is twice a month, but hey gotta aim for something!

What are your plans this year?

#4,526 ·
If you don't like the bike or company that makes it, sell it or don't buy it in the first place.

There is no conspiracy to separate you or anyone else from their money. The bike is, and has been since 2010, a mountain bike and has been marketed as such. Frame/seat bags are the new norm; for better or worse. In general, people don't run full coverage fenders on mountain bikes. For the record, I like full coverage fenders and use them on my Vaya so I'm somewhat sympathetic to your wants. Just buy the damn dropouts and ride your bike.

To the dude that hasn't bought it yet, don't. It will not end well. I've seen this in other hobbies too, you're approaching this purchase from a negative place. Check out the singular, or maybe a comotion.

Now can we please stop whining, theorizing about conspiracies, and Monday morning product planning and talk about where were gonna ride our bikes this year!?!? Haha

I plan on an overnighter or four to a local(45 miles each way on 90% dirt roads) state park. The big trip on the Fargo this year wil be from home(Nortern Vermont) to my old home of northern Virginia with a day or two hanging out with my mom in the finger lakes of New York. I've been thinking about the route for a year or so now and have done some preliminary research, should be fun, as much dirt as reasonable. I also have a nice 50ish mile ride that is 20% pavement, 30% dirt road, 50% singletrack that I aim to do 3-4 times a month this season, reality is twice a month, but hey gotta aim for something!

What are your plans this year?
you planning on moose river plains and through the ADKs?

ADK Bikepacking « littlecircles

Lots of good stuff over there.
I used to live high above Canandaigua Lake.
Some great riding through NYS too.

#4,525 ·
I want to do a 2-3 night trip on the C&O Canal towpath with the Fargo. I've lived in Northern Virginia for 4 years now and have yet to do it. If I can find more time, then I would love to do a False Cape State Park (Virginia Coast) 3-4 nighter. False Cape State Park is only accessible by bicycle or hike in, and from what I've read, you probably will not see anyone while you're out there.

#4,532 ·
Picked up my stock Salsa Fargo 3 last Friday :D Initial thoughts: what an extremely fun bike! Handles great and even some technical lines here weren't a problem. Weather wasn't great so I just have one bad phone picture:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

First upgrade will be a Brooks B17 saddle and Brooks handlebar tape. All other components are good enough, so they'll be replaced when needed. I was a bit worried about the Sram X7 and X5 derailleurs (I'm used to X0 and X01), but it really surprised me how well it works. No issues whatsoever!

More pictures, a riding vid, and a more detailled review will follow soon hopefully on the website below.

Reactions: my2hands
#4,534 ·
Sorry for jumping in here with a basic question which I know has been touched on before.

I'm trying to pick a new bike, but I don't have a known and specific use for it, other than riding and having fun. I want to tool around the roads and lanes here in Door County, many of which are rough, broken asphalt. I want to ride the Ahnapee State trail which is mostly packed gravel/dirt, often muddy but never technical. I want to ride 3 or 4 charity centuries over the coming year, I don't care if I finish in 5 hours or 8.

I also want to throw some camping gear on the bike and do some shorter mini tours.

Singletrack? Probably not, but who knows.

So I look at the Salsa site and at the Fargo, Vaya, Colossal and now even the Warbird. There seems to be some overlap between each, so it makes picking one over the other a little difficult.

When I read some of the comments here I see things like this: 'Fargo is a mountain bike with drops'. If this is the case, should I just make do with my Karakoram 29er, and use it on the road and for everything else, pretty much as I've been doing? Or maybe even throw some woodchippers on it - I'd hardly use the drop position anyway, so if the frame isn't optimized for drops, so what?

Anyway, I just got back from a 2-day 170mile bikepacking trip on a Beargrease running Dillinger 4's, so I'm not really looking to make life easy, I just don't want to pick a bike then regret the choice soon after.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'4" 185, 52yrs, if that makes any difference.

Would appreciate any insights in which path to take.

Cheers!

#4,536 ·
I have had both the Vaya (Vaya Travel) and the Fargo. For what you described, I would say the Fargo would serve you well. It's stout and could support you easily. I am 6'2" 205lbs and feels perfect for me. I sold the Vaya in favor of the Fargo because of the riding position. The Fargo is more than just a dropbar 29er because the geometry allows you to ride with the saddle at or below the stem giving you a more upright riding position - at least this how I have my size Large Fargo set up. You may be able to try this with your 29er to see if you get the same effect.

#4,545 ·

I've got my proper first ride done on my Fargo and I'm absolutely loving it. More pictures and a short review/initial thoughts can be found on my website. I did some fairly technical lines with it and some singletrack. I filmed it POV style with a GoPro. I will edit it a bit and put it up online, just to show that the Fargo actually is a really capable, proper mountainbike.

Couldn't be happier!:D

#4,547 ·
Thanks!

Here is the vid! I'm a bit annoyed how badly Youtube downgraded the quality, but there is nothing I can do about that. Oh, and I do have to say that the lines are somewhat technical according to the Dutch standards;)

#4,553 ·
Sweet!:thumbsup:

I've updated some parts of my brand new Fargo... Although I already loved it how it came stock, there were a few things that had to be on my long distance traveling machine. One of that was a Brooks B17 saddle:

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Orange Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

More of the updates, more text, and more pictures on my personal page.

Reactions: Doug_ID
#4,574 ·
Sweet!:thumbsup:

I've updated some parts of my brand new Fargo... Although I already loved it how it came stock, there were a few things that had to be on my long distance traveling machine. One of that was a Brooks B17 saddle:

View attachment 974924

More of the updates, more text, and more pictures on my personal page.
Awesome look. Just bought a new Fargo in this color and really like the looks of the brown Brooks and bar wrap over my black Brooks and bar wrap.
Justin

#4,554 ·
So, the winter is finally nearly over and I've ridden the Fargo a bit more and really like it. The somewhat slow handling is taking some getting used to but I'm figuring it out. My biggest issue is the saddle. While I usually like WTB saddles, this one is not working, so I've decided to to try a Brooks. I've never had one so the question is which one, B17 or Flyer? This bike is for commuting 12 miles per day, general city riding, fire roads, rails to trails and maybe some touring. I lean toward the flyer because it seems to fit the purpose best, but boy is it big and ugly. Then I have to remind myself, not a mountain bike, not a mountain bike, not a mountain bike...

Any input from users of one or both?

#4,555 ·
I've tried both and would recommend the B17 over the Flyer for the Fargo. The Flyer saddles are only useful on bikes with bars that put your spine/weight over the springs giving you a really upright riding position. Those springs are stout, and with drops on the Fargo you are slightly bent over with weight on your arms and legs as well as your arse. A B17 will give you plenty of comfort, however; if you want a wider saddle or have wider sit bones, then I highly recommend Gilles Berthoud leather saddles.

#4,560 ·
I've had the Cambium once on my mountainbike, and sold it soon after.. I bought it with the idea that it would be like a B17, but I found it not nearly as comfortable. I've noticed that nothing really beats the B17 (once broken in). It is just so incredibly comfortable once you have done some miles on it. It isn't too bad out of the box btw, and I find it more comfortable than the WTB Pure V that was on the stock Fargo.

So I'd vote for the B17 without a doubt! :)

#4,561 ·
For anyone still interested in the fender issue that was going on with Salsa Fargo with Alternator Dropouts, I just wanted to post an update to say Salsa and I have worked things out to a point where both sides are happy and I can continue to ride my Fargo with pride. Big ups to Salsa|QBP for taking the time to reach out and being a stand up company.

I must say the level of feedback I got from my emails and social media presence, was impressive and totally positive. Salsa\QBP are def a company that appears to listen to its consumers, open to criticism and not afraid to take action when a consumer has a legitimate issue to be addressed.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled posts.