Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#4,875 ·
Cackalacky a few posts back already has a 2016 X7, so they are available somewhere, at least.

It is nice to have the color you want, but I'm not sure how long I'd wait for it. I bought a 2015 2 model for a considerable discount, although the light blue is probably one of my least favorite colors. The 2016 X9, (I really like the red for 2016) for an additional $700.00, and a 4-week + wait (and they're still not in at my LBS) just didn't make sense.

You are not limited to the Salsa rack by any means. I'm using an OMM Sherpa on the back of mine- mainly because I already had it, but the OMM is not a cheap rack either so probably wouldn't be an option you're interested in.

You could opt for a rear thru axle on your Fargo if you wanted. If your bike shop would swap the OEM plates for thru-axle plates, that'd be a plus, as I think they're around $140.00. But you'd also need to change the rear hub, have the wheel relaced, etc....something you'd have to really want.

I don't much about fenders....

#4,876 ·
Cackalacky a few posts back already has a 2016 X7, so they are available somewhere, at least.

It is nice to have the color you want, but I'm not sure how long I'd wait for it. I bought a 2015 2 model for a considerable discount, although the light blue is probably one of my least favorite colors. The 2016 X9, (I really like the red for 2016) for an additional $700.00, and a 4-week + wait (and they're still not in at my LBS) just didn't make sense.
Funny, the green color on the 2016 I bought was not my first choice. My LBS said they ordered a medium Fargo and I assumed it would be the darker 2015 green. But it was the new X7 and as soon as I saw it I really liked it. LBS said it took several weeks to get the X7 after ordering it. I would hope that will be speeding up soon.

BTW, did 20 miles of gravel today and I'm amazed. The bike is so comfortable I could have kept going.

G
#4,879 ·
Fenders depend a little on the fork. The Carbon fiber fork presents a few difficulties for fender mounting, but you can rig something using the mounts on front. Most guys I know are using the planet bike 29er fenders and with the steel fork, the problem solvers fender flute. I don't like the weight of the stock rubber mud flaps on the planet bikes fenders so I replaced them with some plastic cut from a folder divider page. If your riding in wet weather a lot, full coverage will keep a lot off your feet. I recommend them.

#4,881 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

At this point I do think it's worth waiting for a 2016 X7. I know there's not much difference between the 2015 Fargo 3 and the 2016 X7, but I'd just as soon get the newer one. My LBS said they weren't yet able to order a 2016 but I would presume that will change soon. I suppose at that point they may have a deal on their two in-stock 2015 Fargo 2s, but we'll see about that...

As for the rack/fender issue, it sounds like the front will be fine for a fender. For the back I'm still not sure. I plan to have a rack/panniers most days, so perhaps it's not worth additional effort or $ to have a fender back there as well. Of course, I haven't used a rear rack before so I don't know exactly how much that affects the splash.

If I'm convinced that a rear fender (in addition to the rack/bag) is necessary, I'd probably just pay the $60 and get the stupid plate. If I'm going to do that anyway, I'd just as soon do it when I first get the bike in order to have it that way from the start.

#4,885 ·
Contemplating a White Bros fork for my Fargo, and I could use a little validation here - it comes in 465mm and a 490mm. The Fargo Firestarter fork is 486 a-c. I'm assuming I should go with the 490mm version for the least amount of difference from the stock fork? Also, any other experience with this fork on the Fargo would be welcome - thx.

#4,891 ·
I will try to get a deal on the plates. So I'm clear, the ones I'm looking for are the "ALTERNATOR Q/R FENDER MOUNT PLATES," right?

In the end, I'm also going to be looking for the rack and fenders as well, so perhaps there will be some kind of deal I can get from getting all of them from the LBS. Although that will be a big chunk of change on top of the $1,699 for the bike.

As I noted previously, the last time I was there (10/17), they said the 2016 Fargo wasn't yet available, so I'll just follow up with them over the next few weeks.

Thanks to all.

#4,894 ·
Thanks for the good wishes. I do like the color of the 2015 Fargo 2, and I'm not necessarily stuck on a 2016 (since there don't seem to be significant changes from the previous year). I guess the issue is that I'm not sure what kind of deal I could hope for on a 2015.

The Fargo 2 starts off $600 more than a Fargo 3/X7, in for my purposes the differences between the two models aren't that great (I'm not sure tubeless would be a big advantage for my riding--all-weather commuting). That said, I love a good deal as much as anyone.

Does anyone have an idea of what a 2015 Fargo 2 deal would look like? My LBS has a Large "floor model." It's certainly been ridden some but wasn't any kind of demo or rental so it's in fine shape.

#4,895 ·
Ask your LBS if they will sell you a 2015 Fargo 2 (with Carbon fork) on sale for $1699, or the same price as the new 2016 Fargo X7 (with Steel fork). That my friend would be a sweet deal!

The Carbon Firestarter fork is a thing of beauty, it is fairly light and rides with a very plus feel off-road without sacrificing unwanted flex when pedaling. You can also fit a 29+ Knard 3.0" tire in there (I have done it) with room to spare.

Thanks for the good wishes. I do like the color of the 2015 Fargo 2, and I'm not necessarily stuck on a 2016 (since there don't seem to be significant changes from the previous year). I guess the issue is that I'm not sure what kind of deal I could hope for on a 2015.

The Fargo 2 starts off $600 more than a Fargo 3/X7, in for my purposes the differences between the two models aren't that great (I'm not sure tubeless would be a big advantage for my riding--all-weather commuting). That said, I love a good deal as much as anyone.

Does anyone have an idea of what a 2015 Fargo 2 deal would look like? My LBS has a Large "floor model." It's certainly been ridden some but wasn't any kind of demo or rental so it's in fine shape.

G
#4,898 ·
I'll be interested to see if you keep that stem or use a shorter one. I just used Salsa tape on my Jones, double wrapped from the loop backwards and single wrapped on the aft half of the loop, I use the front of the loop bare (with palms on the back half).

#4,899 ·
When I bought my bike the 0 degree 90mm stem felt crowded to me so I changed to a 110mm x 10. This was probably 10mm longer than I needed. With the Loop, the 110 stem relation feels excellent, do it's unlikely I will make any changes to the stem.

I had a titec J bar years ago on a single speed and had the cork grips installed with tape and that was super comfortable. The long esi chunky grips seem to get good reviews too, but like using Ergon grips, they don't seem to look right with tape and I want to use tape over the weld junction and part of the cross bar section. Tape only would also be an option.

Right now I am trying to figure out what kind of short pull levers (read cantilever style) to use with the road BB7's. I could go with Paul, but there are also some neat old Suntour XC levers that are compact and well built.

I am not sure I am staying with the road BB7's though. The Sram road lever and road BB7' s feel weak compared to Tektro RL520 with mtb BB7's. I worry that no matter what lever I buy, I will be unhappy with the braking performance. Maybe it's the SRAM road levers that contribute to the lack lustre performance, but I suspect the brakes themselves.

G
#4,900 ·
You can convert the road BB7 to Mtn by changing the internals. It's not particularly expensive or complex. I've got the 7s on my Fargo and Trek Paragon but I like my TRP hybrids best. If I were building and could pick any brake, that would probably be the brake of choice for me.

#4,901 ·
Or TRP Spyre brakes would be far superior and he could keep the road levers. Although, in my experience as a rider and shop mechanic, I would say that SRAM road levers are a terrible match for Avid BB-7 brakes or the TRP's. You'd think they would match up perfectly, but the Tektro and Shimano road levers feel far superior, and although I haven't measured this, I wouldn't be surprised that they pull more cable than SRAM levers do. Whatever the case may be, in my opinion, it is the SRAM levers that are the root cause of poor BB-7 performance on any drop bar set up.

#4,907 ·
Question for you guys: Do you guys typically ride in the drops or hoods? I'm looking to buy a frame to set up with dirt drops, and for primarily riding in the drops. The stack height on the Fargo seems to be the highest among the others I'm considering, so pretty sure that's what I'll go with. Hopefully I can dial in the fit without a ridiculous amount of spacers.

#4,910 ·
For me that's the beauty of drop bars over MTB bars - the variety of hand positions. I frequently change my position from the drops to the hooks to the hoods to the tops depending on terrain, wind, comfort, etc.

And as far as i'm concerned, higher bars doesn't always equate to greater comfort. In fact too high can actually be uncomfortable for me. It transfers more weight to your saddle which isn't always good.

#4,908 ·
For general riding, I'm mostly in the hoods. I go into the drops when doing long/technical descents, when fighting the wind and on longer rides when I just need to vary my hand position.

#4,919 ·
Tires

I am using the WTB Trailblazer 2.8, it fits fine. But it supposedly measures more like a 2.6, sorry I don't have an accurate measurement for mine. The tire I would like to know if it would fit is the Fat B Nimble. Claimed 3.5 but by all reports is much smaller than that. Claimed weight is quite a bit lower than the WTB. The good thing about the WTB though, even though the width is narrower than claimed it has a tall profile so there is a lot of cushion there.

TT

#4,923 ·
LBS and Salsa collaborated on my 'wheel loose in the fork' problem on my 2015 Fargo 2.....so far they have replaced the OEM thru axle with a DT Swiss axle, which didn't help.

Next step is a new carbon fork, which is 'supposed' to be in tomorrow.

After that, it's on to the hub, which Salsa has already admitted they don't have in stock right now.

Hard to believe a bike shop cannot determine the problem by any other means than just throwing new parts at the bike.

$2,000.00 for a bike, less than 300 miles, and in the shop for 2+ weeks waiting on parts....not impressed. :madman:

#4,925 ·
Yes, it really is. I really like the Fargo, but having some 'mechanicals' right now that are frustrating...

New fork is in, bike shop says 'all good now', so we'll see.

I couldn't find a single report anywhere on the 'net about issues with Firestarter carbon fork dropouts. Of course the internet isn't the final word, lol.

Will pick up the bike tomorrow. I wonder if my new fork will be the same color as the rest of the bike?? lol :p

#4,927 · (Edited)
Recent additions:

Niner RDO stem

WTB Frequency Team i23 rims w/XT hubs:

Got a pair of WTB Nine Line 2.0s on the way to pair up with the new Frequencys, and then it's time to finally convert my Fargo to tubeless. Can't wait.

#4,928 ·
Hi guys,

Posted pictures of my green Fargo already quite a while ago, but I figured it might be nice sharing some pictures of my recent trip to Australia, as this thread has helped me decide to buy this bike :) Just finished the Aussie part of my trip a week ago. I cycled from Darwin to Townsville, and then traveled down to Sydney partly by bike/bus/train (partly due to injuries..). It was a pretty though trip with lots and lots of headwind, but the bike performed flawlessly:thumbsup:

Road Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

I am currently in Auckland NZ, hoping my hamstring injury will recover so I can start exploring both islands with the Fargo!