Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#4,835 ·
Test ride.

So I finally test rode a Fargo. I had been curious about the fit for years. I just figured that I'd be in-between sizes but the large seemed to fit fine. My one issue is that I'd like to get the bars a smidge higer. I'd also likely switch out the bars, maybe for a Cowchipper which I have yet to try. The Fargo would make a nice and practical addition to my quiver. I'll likely be looking to part with my Big Dummy and my LHT to make room for and fund the Fargo.

Here's the one i rode today:

Attachments

#4,836 ·
I had been curious about the fit for years. I just figured that I'd be in-between sizes but the large seemed to fit fine.
I am also in-between sizes, in my case L and XL. Were you also choosing between L and XL, or between M and L? Probably the former because you mentioned your intention to get the bars a bit higher. Would be curious to hear your experiences. I am 6'1.5 and 36" cycling inseam (LeMond method), long arms as well.

#4,840 ·
Bad news: my Fargo drivetrain is getting tired, and I can't figure out what to replace it with.
Right now I have an odd combination of Shimano road levers (Sora), a triple in the front, and a nine speed XT in the rear. On the low end I've got 24t in the front and 36 in the rear, for a nice and low 20 gear inches.

I've been looking at the new Tiagra 4700 line, but it looks like I won't be able to get anywhere near as low, even with the triple. I'd love all the cables to be routed under the bar tape so I don't wreck then with bar bags, but I could settle.

Does anyone have any advice or drivetrains they enjoy? Should I just copy the SRAM 7x setup they ship the new Fargos with?

Thanks!

#4,841 ·
If you changed your gearing on your Fargo to get that real low gear which you currently have, perhaps you'll miss that if you switch to Fargo's current OEM gearing? (SRAM-S1000 28-42 front chain ring)

I personally would want lower gearing than a 28-tooth front while in big hills or loaded with gear. I am likely going to switch to a 24-38 double in front and see how that works. Seems like used/almost new S1000 cranksets can be found on ebay for $100.00 or less many times.

There is the option of going larger on the rear as well, with a kit by OneUp, or others.

It was interesting to read an opinion by a recent Tour Divide racer who still used a MTB triple on his Fargo.

#4,846 ·
bar height.

I'm curious how people have their bars positioned relative to saddle height. It seems that with a dirt drop style bar like the Woodchipper that you would want the bars level if not higher than the saddle for riding off road.

On my recent 15 minute test ride on a Fargo, the bile seem d quite comfortable on the hoods, on the lower part of the bars (return?) but i. The drops with hamds on brake levers it felt a bit "Off." Perhaps it was just the Woodchipper being different the the drops I normally ride (Noodles, Cowbells), The Fargo I rode had 4cm of spacers with no room for raising the stem other than using a stem with more rise. As it was the bars were just below the saddle. Other than how the bike might ride on singletrack, it would clearly be fine on pavement and dirt roads.

My reasoning for looking into a Fargo would be to use it for a dirt road explorer. My Vaya does this pretty well but larger volume tires would certainly make the descents funner and faster plus it would be nice to have more singletrack capabilities. My Krampus seems like overkill for these kinds of rides.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#4,847 ·
I'm curious how people have their bars positioned relative to saddle height. It seems that with a dirt drop style bar like the Woodchipper that you would want the bars level if not higher than the saddle for riding off road.....
This shows the saddle to bar height on my Fargo:

As you can see, my saddle and bars are pretty close to level (the saddle is actually just a hair higher), but of course some of it just comes down to personal preference. On steeper singletrack, it can certainly take some getting used to the more forward position that a drop bar puts the rider in on descents, but it sounds like you have already been running a couple different drop bar setups on this kind of terrain, so it's not a 'new' thing for you. All I can say is that some prefer the Cowchipper, some prefer the Woody. My preference is for the latter, as I like having a little wider platform, and a slightly more relaxed wrist angle, when riding more technical stuff in the drops.

My reasoning for looking into a Fargo would be to use it for a dirt road explorer. My Vaya does this pretty well but larger volume tires would certainly make the descents funner and faster plus it would be nice to have more singletrack capabilities. My Krampus seems like overkill for these kinds of rides.
I think your reasoning is spot-on. It's hard to imagine a better "dirt road explorer" that offers the option for larger volume tires, and the ability to confidently cut off on some singletrack as desired, than the Fargo.

As least in my highly biased opinion. ;)

Reactions: dfltroll
G
#4,848 ·
my 2013 has the bars slightly higher than the seat so I'm level on the hoods, slightly high on the top and slightly lower on the returns. I've got a messed-up back so the riding position is decidedly upright compared to most bikes.

#4,849 ·
More pics

Here's some daylight pics of my Fargo X7. I took it out for an hour ride today and got it all adjusted. The top limit screw on the front der. was way out and the chain almost came off. I also bumped the front der. down just a bit closer to the rings. Wasn't sure about the doubletap shifters but after just one hour, I got used to them.

I freakin' love this thing. I haven't used drop bars in a long while and forgot how nice it is to have so many hand positions. Will probably lift the seat up just a bit. My LBS is swapping out the 90mm stem for a 70mm at no charge which should make the reach about perfect. About to order some platform pedals and slicks, can't wait to put some miles on it.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Green Bicycle
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#4,850 ·
Here's some daylight pics of my Fargo X7. I took it out for an hour ride today and got it all adjusted. The top limit screw on the front der. was way out and the chain almost came off. I also bumped the front der. down just a bit closer to the rings. Wasn't sure about the doubletap shifters but after just one hour, I got used to them.

I freakin' love this thing. I haven't used drop bars in a long while and forgot how nice it is to have so many hand positions. Will probably lift the seat up just a bit. My LBS is swapping out the 90mm stem for a 70mm at no charge which should make the reach about perfect. About to order some platform pedals and slicks, can't wait to put some miles on it.

View attachment 1021823 View attachment 1021822 View attachment 1021821
Your setup looks good to me. The bars are high enough to make it easy to spend time in the drops without being bent over, and the rake of the bars looks like it follows the angle of the top tube which is angled down just enough for comfort and control.

When I took delivery of my Fargo the shop owner had the woodchippers angled down in alignment with the down tube making it hard to ride in the Drops but easier to ride the hoods. For me that's not a great riding position for off road control, but I know everyone had a different opinion of what works and what doesn't I suppose.

#4,854 ·
Hi all . I went into a lbs to look at the 2016 blackborow that I have been waiting for . It was just what I was hoping for . They had a 2016 X9 fargo on the floor . I have been wanting a fargo for some time . That dark red is very nice . I was hoping to get a X7 in the spring . The shop gave me 20% off on both bikes . I could get the X9 for about the same price as a X7 and get a good discount on the blackborow . What to do . I went home with 2 bikes . I got a medium. It felt good on the hoods and in the dopers . I got the blackborow in L , and have a L bucksaw . I hope the medium fargo is right for me . 6ft. tall with 32" bare foot in seam .

#4,857 ·
I have plains and dreams . It is my hope that it is not all a day dream . Poor health and getting older are fighting me . but I am moving forward . Hunting and fishing the back country with the blackborow , bike packing the back roads , rail trails and canal trails with the fargo and just having fun with the bucksaw . Moving forward by inches and feet I hope to travel miles .

#4,858 ·
Has anyone ever experienced problems with the dropouts with the Firestarter carbon fork?

My 2015 Fargo2 is in the shop with <300 miles on it. Bike shop/Salsa has yet to make an 'official' determination, but after trying multiple front wheels in the front fork (they all wobble even when the thru axle is snugged down) the shop believes the issue is in the dropouts and not the hub. :sad:

#4,924 ·
LBS and Salsa collaborated on my 'wheel loose in the fork' problem on my 2015 Fargo 2.....so far they have replaced the OEM thru axle with a DT Swiss axle, which didn't help.

Next step is a new carbon fork, which is 'supposed' to be in tomorrow.

After that, it's on to the hub, which Salsa has already admitted they don't have in stock right now.

Hard to believe a bike shop cannot determine the problem by any other means than just throwing new parts at the bike.

$2,000.00 for a bike, less than 300 miles, and in the shop for 2+ weeks waiting on parts....not impressed. :madman:
This sounds frustrating and odd. I would think that the LBS could determine that if multiple wheels do not work, then it is perhaps the fork spacing. Very odd.

It might be worth a second opinion from a different LBS, even if it isn't a Salsa dealer. At least they could give you a different set of eyes on it.

Good luck on this one. Hang in there, you'll get it fixed and be back on the road/trail!

#4,862 ·
all-around tires for the Fargo with carbon Firestarter fork

What tires do you recommend for all-around use on the 2015 Fargo with carbon Firestarter fork?

I ride the bike in all conditions, commuting, gravel grinders, and light single-track.

Currently I am running the older (both discontinued) WTB Weirwolf 2.55 on the front and the WTB Exiwolf 2.3 on the rear.

Pumped up to 40psi they roll well on the road with decent cushion, and are predictable off-road at lower pressures.

#4,863 ·
What tires do you recommend for all-around use on the 2015 Fargo with carbon Firestarter fork?

I ride the bike in all conditions, commuting, gravel grinders, and light single-track.

Currently I am running the older (both discontinued) WTB Weirwolf 2.55 on the front and the WTB Exiwolf 2.3 on the rear.

Pumped up to 40psi they roll well on the road with decent cushion, and are predictable off-road at lower pressures.
WTB Nanos are a good all-around choice, in either 40mm or 2.1"

When I'm doing rougher dirt riding/multi-day off-road trips, I like the Icon 2.35s.

#4,865 · (Edited)
Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

Finally!!! had a chance to test ride my rig today. 2015 / Size M.
This is my first and probably my last custom bike build. Too many headaches :madman:

Things that didn't go as planned:
  • My SRAM GX Crankset is wobbly, because the bloody Hope Bottom Bracket required a Truvativ adapter in order to use the SRAM crankset. Ordered it from Chain Reaction Cycles, another $45 (incl. shipping) slap in the face.
  • I bought BB7 Mountain brakes. Did not had enough braking force if used with road levers (SRAM Apex Doubletap)... Had to order another set of the BB7 Road brakes. Even with the levers pressing against the handlebar, braking still feels too soft. Might need to swap the brake cables to compressionless. ughhhhh
  • One of the Hope Hubs had a machining error in one of the six disc bolt-on holes. I had to improvised by using a larger-than-normal screw in order to fit the threads. I paid top dollar for this shiat and I got a defect. The wheel was already built on it when I discovered it, and by then, it was already too late to send it back to the UK to claim for warranty.
  • My Nobby Nic 2.35" (tubeless ready) tires from Schawlbe didn't wanted to get on to the Velocity Cliffhanger rims. Literally 3 guys from the bicycle shop had to brute force it on to the rims. 2 broken plastic tire levers, 2 shops later... we managed to get it seated. I would not want to think about fixing a flat while bikepacking on those bloody wheels. :mad:
  • Rear rack mounts is a pain in the ass. I needed at least 2 X 4mm sized spacers on each side in order to mount a Tubus rear rack. Doing this compromises durability if you are heavily loaded.
  • My feet are touching the back of the front wheels while doing turns, and they are not even hard aggressive turns. Seriously?? Is this normal? :confused:

Things that I miss the most:
  • Hydraulic brakes.:rolleyes:
  • Flat handlebars.

Attachments

#4,867 ·
I am getting ready to try a set of Jones Loop bars on my Fargo. Anyone have any experience with the SRAM double tap for flat bar? Seems like this would be a good option since they come in 2x10 .

The other option would just be a regular XO or X9 shifter set, but the double tap seems to get good reviews (very few out there though).

Brake levers will need to be cantilever compatible for those Road BB7's. I always ran mtb version with bar end shifters on my other bikes and it was easy to swap between drop and upright like Mary bar etc... .

Any feedback on the flat bar double tap shifters would be appreciated.

Thanks

#4,868 · (Edited)
Fargo on singletrack

I was able to take my new 2015 Fargo out on a long single-track ride today after finishing up the build from a frameset. Man it rips! I was very surprised at how well the bike climbs, ascends and corners. The steel frame and carbon fork where very comfortable, and the bike tracks really well. I upgraded the rear dropouts to a through-axle and added a few of my other favorite but random parts. The 180mm XTR triple crank was perfect, as well as the Gevenalle / Retro-Shift levers.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#4,869 ·
How did you find the braking power? Are you using the SRAM Apex DoubleTap & BB7 Road combos?

I was able to take my new 2015 Fargo out on a long single-track ride today after finishing up the build from a frameset. Man it rips! I was very surprised at how well the bike climbs, ascends and corners. The steel frame and carbon fork where very comfortable, and the bike tracks really well. I upgraded the rear dropouts to a through-axle and added a few of my other favorite but random parts. The 180mm XTR triple crank was perfect, as well as the Genevalle/ Retro-Shift levers.

#4,871 ·
I crossed the U.S. on Conti 4seasons 32mm and was really happy with the way Fargo gen I rode. I had front and rear Surly racks. The front rack caused the front wheel to feel like it would flip anytime so I took it off and rode with rear rack only. I was happy with that arrangement for the entire 3,000 miles. LA to Savana, GA. 5 years later I still have the same bike and I love it. Rides through snowy winters with spiked tires.

#4,873 ·
Ready to buy but have questions

I'm ready to get my first Fargo, but I have a couple of questions with which I'm hoping to get a little help.

My LBS only has a 2015 Fargo 2 in stock. They encourage shoppers to ride that bike and then order a new Fargo to be shipped (apparently from Utah to the LBS in Colorado) if they want to buy. They ask for half down, and say the bike will be ready within 10 days or so of the initial order.

So I want a Fargo 3, or, ideally, a 2016 Fargo X7. The LBS was looking online and said only the 2015 was available (2016 wasn't ready yet), and for my size (L) was only available in Green (I prefer the yellow). I know the 2016 Fargos are imminent, and some stores already have some in stock. My question: Should I be patient and wait for a 2016? Is it possible to get a better price on a leftover 2015?

My second question has to do with the fenders. I'm looking to add both a rear rack/panniers and front and back fenders. I've ridden a long time but never used either rack or fenders before and I'm confused as to what my options would be on a stock Fargo 3/X7.

I don't have much of a preference on the fenders--cheap and/or clip-on are fine and they don't have to be "full coverage." Of course, I've never used fenders before so maybe I should be looking for more given I like to ride year-round in conditions that can be slushy and wet in the winter.

But I would like a good rear rack that can carry some weight. Is the dedicated Salsa alternator rack my only choice? I'm okay with that, although there are other cheaper racks that I like just as much if not more.

Could I do myself a lot of good by asking my LBS to order a different dropout for my new Fargo? They said that if I want to swap out any stock parts they would trade them "retail for retail." --I'm not sure if that would work with a dropout.

Any advice appreciated.