Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Salsa Fargo Thread

2M views 6K replies 794 participants last post by  hankj 
#1 ·
Here's the Fargo in action. post yours when you get it here...

See less See more
#4,710 ·
Eccentric?

Rogue Panda Designs looks pretty awesome. A good revelate knockoff, from the looks of it.

TECH QUESTION:
I'm thinking of buying an EBB to hang onto for a future Rohloff conversion for my beloved. Can anyone tell me why installing this is a bad idea? Or if it's incompatible with my 2013 Fargo? From all the reading I've done, I don't understand why it wouldn't work... link below.

EBB from Trickstuff: Excentric

#4,714 · (Edited)
Rogue Panda Designs looks pretty awesome. A good revelate knockoff, from the looks of it.

TECH QUESTION:
I'm thinking of buying an EBB to hang onto for a future Rohloff conversion for my beloved. Can anyone tell me why installing this is a bad idea? Or if it's incompatible with my 2013 Fargo? From all the reading I've done, I don't understand why it wouldn't work... link below.

EBB from Trickstuff: Excentric
I run Rohloff, but with the new model Fargo. I love It, but I wouldn't do it with anything but Salsa Alternator dropouts or sliding dropouts because of the amount of "torque" you can generate cause the EBB to slip. I have had EBBs and didn't like them for that reason, and they're not the easiest to adjust when dirt, mud, and sand get in them.

For the cost of that EBB from the website, I would spend the extra dough to get a new Fargo frame. Plus, with Salsa Alternator drops you can get the dropout specific to a Rohloff hub eliminating the need to get the monkey bone.

Also, the new Fargo frames have cable guides specific to Rohloff cable routing which is a huge plus for a Rohloff setup IMO. The braze ons are three sided allowing you to run three cables together all the way back to the left rear dropout.

#4,715 ·
Thanks, I didn't consider the torque aspect enough. You're probably right there. These adapters are probably fine for single speed, but unlikely to be good for a Rohloff.

I'll keep enjoying my 2x10 drivetrain for a long time, maybe someday I'll change frames, but I LOVE my brown/orange 2013 frame. I love the geometry of it. It would hurt me a little inside to trade it for a new one.

#4,717 ·
So, I bought the newer Revelate Designs Salsa Frame Bag #3 for my Medium 2013 Fargo, as RD and Salsa both stated it was designed to fit the gen 2 Fargo as well. While it fits, it doesn't fit quite right. It seems like it was made with the Mukluk in mind, and could possibly be good for the new Fargo.

However, buying something purpose-built was why I ordered it. It's certainly not purpose-built for my bike. Looks like it's time to hit up Porcelain Rocket for a little bit more cash and get something with the exact dimensions. I'm probably just too picky, I have the desire for it to fit just right.

#4,738 ·
So, I bought the newer Revelate Designs Salsa Frame Bag #3 for my Medium 2013 Fargo, as RD and Salsa both stated it was designed to fit the gen 2 Fargo as well. While it fits, it doesn't fit quite right. It seems like it was made with the Mukluk in mind, and could possibly be good for the new Fargo.

However, buying something purpose-built was why I ordered it. It's certainly not purpose-built for my bike. Looks like it's time to hit up Porcelain Rocket for a little bit more cash and get something with the exact dimensions. I'm probably just too picky, I have the desire for it to fit just right.
Thanks for the feedback. The issues you've described were exactly my concerns with the redesigned frame bags from Revelate/Salsa. Your experiences definitely steer me towards a custom bag rather than an off-the-shelf model.

RD/Salsa used to make a bag that was specifically designed for the gen 2 Fargo. Unfortunately they've discontinued it. I looked around but didn't have any luck finding one from a retailer.

#4,720 ·
I am getting a new Fargo soon and cant decide whether get the steel or carbon firestarter fork.
I plan of doing a bikepacking/touring on it and I am not sure if the carbon version is strong enough to handle the trail while fully loaded.
Any opinion please?

#4,730 ·
Cinq5 Thumb Rohloff Shifters

Still haven't got out on the trails/roads to get a video of these, but I wanted to post this up in case anyone was in the market: they're awesome (installed them tonight along with Cowchipper bars). Long term review to follow sometime in the long term.

They shift full range, and it's awesome. Cockpit view: Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Floor Bicycle part

#4,731 ·
Still haven't got out on the trails/roads to get a video of these, but I wanted to post this up in case anyone was in the market: they're awesome (installed them tonight along with Cowchipper bars). Long term review to follow sometime in the long term.

They shift full range, and it's awesome. Cockpit view: View attachment 1003110
How does the 2 thumb shifters work?
In my understanding, the Rohloff twister work by pulling the cable in one the direction and the opposing cable follows...
What about the Cinq5?

#4,735 ·
I have a Salsa Fargo that I'll be using for my inaugural cyclocross season, and I have 2 questions for you folks

1. Has anyone ever used a Fargo for CX before? If so, what type of tires did you go with (I'm in the PNW, so it gets muddy as hell here)

2. Can the 2012 Fargo use a carbon firestarter fork or a carbon ENVE fork of some sort? I notice the 2012 Ti Fargo came with a standard "Fargo fork"

any help greatly appreciated

#4,739 ·
I don't recommend the Fargo for cyclocross. The geometry is not nimble enough to do the hairpin turns at speed, also it is quite heavy for a CX bike. That being said if you are doing 1 non-competitive CX race per year, than go for it. The carbon Firestarter fork is tapered 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" but the 2012 Fargo is straight 1-1/8. You would need to find a straight 1-1/8" carbon MTB fork with the same geometry as your stock steel fork. For my money, I would keep your Fargo as is, and find a used CX bike for the same cost as a new Firestarter carbon fork (best of both worlds).

#4,736 ·
Hi sgtrobo,

The 2012-2013 have a geometry corrected for an 80mm suspension fork, and the 2014-2015 are corrected for a 100mm suspension fork. Therefore the firestarter is 20mm longer. It's going to change the handling of the bike.

I know a lot of people (including this year's Tour Divide winner!) use the Niner carbon forks, they're designed for an 80mm-suspension-corrected bike. (Make sure to get the 1-1/8" non-tapered 80mm-corrected model). They're available in quite a few colors too, and are extremely reliable from what I can gather.

As far as CX goes, no idea on tires thinner than 2.1, but a lot of people like WTB Nano 2.1's because they roll fast and handle well in the dirt.

Enjoy your fargoing!

#4,740 ·
Unusual question, but here we go. I recently picked up one of the early generations of Salsa Fargo pretty cheap. I have all the reasons to believe that the person who sold me it wasn't aware he was selling a stolen bike but I just would like my conscience to be completely clear.

I picked it off the person who described himself to be in the “used goods” business. Basically, he scans CL, flea markets etc. for huge deals and then resells. The bike he bought was for personal use about 1-2 years ago. He put no maintenance on that bike because he would buy himself a new "deal", rather then pay bike shop.

I am fearing that because he was buying it very cheap it could have been stolen. He doesn't quite remember from whom he bought it - he buys and sells too much stuff.

I checked all databases, kept the post about recovered Fargo on craigslist, talked with Salsa to see if the original owner registered the bike with them - nothing. If the bike was stolen it was probably at least a year ago. It is one of the earlier generations, and it had an unusual drivetrain set-up (no, not IGH). I am in Bay Area. Would you know of anybody whose Fargo might have been stolen around here?

G
#4,741 ·
You could run the serial number through the local PD. It's not likely they can locate the original owner even if it was reported (because they probably didn't take an accurate report) but at least you'll have made a good faith effort.

#4,744 ·
Thanks, will check tomorrow. Meanwhile I was wondering if I can ask some quick advice. In case previous owner is not to be found (or might not want the bike back - separate story) I would need to replace a drivetrain on the Fargo, and pretty much everybody that I see here go with MTB (or trekking triples from Shimano) triples.

But for Fargo which is supposed to be heavy duty (off-road) touring bike, do you really use the largest chainweel? I am asking because my regular commuter bike has road triple and I rarely use it myself. In the past ten years, I have replaced four middlerings and two grannies, but big one is still original. (yes, I do go fast :) when I have a change.

I am asking because I was looking at the XT FC-M785 40/28 crankset. When paired with 11-34 casette, would in it sufficient everywhere except really fast descents? Or, 24/32/42 XT triple will still be preferred?

#4,745 ·
I am asking because I was looking at the XT FC-M785 40/28 crankset. When paired with 11-34 casette, would in it sufficient everywhere except really fast descents? Or, 24/32/42 XT triple will still be preferred?
For a touring bike, I'd be more interested in the 24 than the 42. Climbs tend to define the touring experience much more than descents.

#4,748 ·
A few questions

Hi, folks, pretty new to this site, so bear with me.
So, to start, I'm Scotty, live in St Louis, and I've got a few questions about a Fargo I recently acquired. They'll probably seem silly but I'm kind of stumped.

How do I figure out what year/model I have?

I can't figure out the seatpost clamp size I need, but I assume that'll be relative to what year model I have?

Tried to switch over my Hayes Five disc brakes from my mountain bike to the Fargo. The back brake mated up just fine, but the front seem to need a larger adaptor, I'm thinking QR to 7" but since this is my first time transferring a disc brake, I'm kind of confused.

So, two totally legit Fargo questions, and one general disc brake question hidden within the guise of a Fargo question, apparently. :)

Thanks!

#4,749 ·
Hi, folks, pretty new to this site, so bear with me.
So, to start, I'm Scotty, live in St Louis, and I've got a few questions about a Fargo I recently acquired. They'll probably seem silly but I'm kind of stumped.

How do I figure out what year/model I have?

I can't figure out the seatpost clamp size I need, but I assume that'll be relative to what year model I have?

Tried to switch over my Hayes Five disc brakes from my mountain bike to the Fargo. The back brake mated up just fine, but the front seem to need a larger adaptor, I'm thinking QR to 7" but since this is my first time transferring a disc brake, I'm kind of confused.

So, two totally legit Fargo questions, and one general disc brake question hidden within the guise of a Fargo question, apparently. :)

Thanks!
Welcome! Can you maybe post us a pic of your bike? :) If I'm not mistaken, all Fargo's come with 27.2 seatposts, so you will need a 30.0mm clamp. Salsa offers a nice archive overview of their bikes here. You can look if you find your bike there.

Concerning the brake question, I don't quite get what you mean with a QR adapter. As far as I know, QR or axle doesn't really influence the adapter you'll need. If you post a picture of your setup I'm sure there are people that can help you out!